The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 12:39 AM   #31
Horatio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
8-12 months is not bad in the grand scheme of things. I'd wait it out unless I was flush with cash. Would give you something to look forward to.
8-12 months is a hideous amount of time. You can have a child in that time. Pay over the odds and get it now
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:47 AM   #32
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
8-12 months is a hideous amount of time. You can have a child in that time. Pay over the odds and get it now
It's only a watch, I don't see any urgency to buying any watch, ever. And especially not at an inflated price! Wait, and they will come down, or buy new from an AD.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #33
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
That is a very very expensive price - you can get these for $19k all day for the blue dial one. Shop around you will get it for $18.5k
They also don't negotiate........go the trusted seller route
Old 10 December 2018, 01:41 AM   #34
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
🤣
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 02:03 AM   #35
wisguy
"TRF" Member

If you like it and can afford it, go for it.
Old 10 December 2018, 02:16 AM   #36
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I know everyone thinks everything that comes out of an AD’s mouth is BS, but I’ve been friends with my salesman for over 20 years and believe he shoots straight with me.
Just a couple of weeks ago he told me (I wasn’t asking for one) that their store had received a ridiculously small amount of SS Skydwellers ever since introduction. Something like four total in the past year versus a small but steady delivery of other popular models, i.e. one SS Pepsi per month since introduction. He had twotone and gold versions in the case. It’s almost like Rolex doesn’t bother to make many of the movements and all steel are the last to get them.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 02:24 AM   #37
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I would not, but I’m really dug in about paying over list price for anything. Now, having said that, you need to factor in the time, effort and angst that goes into the search. If you can find one for $16,000, buy it and put all that behind you.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:30 AM   #38
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
I just paid grey market prices for mine. I spoke to 2 ADs. I have done enough business with one where where they offered me an Aquanaut on bracelet in July, so I figure I’m not just a random inquiring about it. She said they aren’t even taking names for the blue one anymore. The other AD told me that he’s never even seen a blue sky dweller pass through his shop. Both of these ADs are huge.

So the issue is whether a particular AD will ever even get one, from what I hear.

Hopefully you’ll have better luck with a smaller AD who happens to get one, but I figured that’s about as likely as landing a rent controlled apartment in NYC. Can it happen? Sure. But sometimes the odds dictate that it’s time to move on.

Now if you want a black, white, or 2 tone, I hear those could be had relatively easily. I would be patient if you’re in the market in one of those. Sometimes they come in faster than they tell you too. That aforementioned Aquanaut came in in 6 months, where I was told 2 years...
Relatively easy to get a black dial? Not sure about that.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:31 AM   #39
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlarry View Post
The exact one I’m after. I have an appointment in Manhattan Monday. More then likely will pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'll love it Dennis.
Old 10 December 2018, 03:50 AM   #40
badlarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Hopefully after a quick trip into nyc tomorrow I’ll have pics to post. Good news is I tracked down a few but the one for 16k can’t possibly last long so hoping he still has.

badlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:06 AM   #41
challer
"TRF" Member

Rolex has already cancelled some SkyD PM models. And apparently they cancelled the Pepsi after one year. You see it, better by it.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:19 AM   #42
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I know everyone thinks everything that comes out of an AD’s mouth is BS, but I’ve been friends with my salesman for over 20 years and believe he shoots straight with me.
Just a couple of weeks ago he told me (I wasn’t asking for one) that their store had received a ridiculously small amount of SS Skydwellers ever since introduction. Something like four total in the past year versus a small but steady delivery of other popular models, i.e. one SS Pepsi per month since introduction. He had twotone and gold versions in the case. It’s almost like Rolex doesn’t bother to make many of the movements and all steel are the last to get them.
I talk to a number of gray dealers regularly and even they see very few SS with a blue dial.

One told me that it was easier to get a 15202 or a 5711 than a blue dial SS Sky Dweller (less frequent, certainly not more expensive).
Old 10 December 2018, 05:48 AM   #43
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
Relatively easy to get a black dial? Not sure about that.
My apologies...I think my previous impressions were mistaken. Seems almost as hard these days to get the black or white dials.
Old 10 December 2018, 05:52 AM   #44
Xerxes77
Banned

I pay for my SS Sky Dweller in Europe 16.5k euro.
I talk to 3 AD and 2 of them tell me the list for SkyD is closed because they don’t know when he get the watch and one of them put me to wait list and tell me arounnd 12-18 mounths.
I can get one in September 2017 but on that time I want black dial!!! That’s it!! For my mistake I pay 3k more and have it with me on Christmas!!
So, my advice is buy it now because after all I read on the forum and speake with AD the situation with SkyD will not be good soonest. Also like tell somebody before me I think Rolex let the most complicated movement at a low price on SS but they will regulate the situation how they know best: very limited supply!!!!
In my opinion it’s ridiculous to sell your most complicated movement SS case with 4000€ less then Yacht master II SS case who have only a countdown timer for 10 minutes!! I refer here on MRSP price!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 07:15 AM   #45
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hopefully after a quick trip into nyc tomorrow I’ll have pics to post. Good news is I tracked down a few but the one for 16k can’t possibly last long so hoping he still has.

Hope you're able to put something together tomorrow. Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 10 December 2018, 09:56 AM   #46
Nocomment
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
I pay for my SS Sky Dweller in Europe 16.5k euro.
I talk to 3 AD and 2 of them tell me the list for SkyD is closed because they don’t know when he get the watch and one of them put me to wait list and tell me arounnd 12-18 mounths.
I can get one in September 2017 but on that time I want black dial!!! That’s it!! For my mistake I pay 3k more and have it with me on Christmas!!
So, my advice is buy it now because after all I read on the forum and speake with AD the situation with SkyD will not be good soonest. Also like tell somebody before me I think Rolex let the most complicated movement at a low price on SS but they will regulate the situation how they know best: very limited supply!!!!
In my opinion it’s ridiculous to sell your most complicated movement SS case with 4000€ less then Yacht master II SS case who have only a countdown timer for 10 minutes!! I refer here on MRSP price!
Exactly, same here in New Zealand.. our AD only had like 3 this year so far.. one in each colour
Nocomment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:05 AM   #47
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Those are very minimal premiums. Go for it and enjoy the watch. It is quite lovely and one of my favorites. Very comfortable too.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:14 AM   #48
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Buy now.... and yes the blue dial is amazing. Black for 16k.... buy.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:15 AM   #49
Starhutch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PROBLEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
At 16k I say do it. (If that’s what you want) my AD has had maybe 2 stainless SkyDwellers - they are more rare than Daytona’s...interestingly enough.

This...exactly the feedback from my AD.
Starhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:49 PM   #50
mominayal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since we’re all here we know the brand and I’m sure most if not all know finding a stainless skydweller at an AD is more than a tough task. I’ve tracked down a few but the best price so far is $16k, and the really sucky part is they’re all “pre owned”, which isn’t a huge deal because it’s mostly resellers that grabbed one and are looking to make a premium. Has anyone had any luck finding them at an ad recently? The ad I’ve purchased my last 2 Rolex’s from has said 8-12 months, patience isn’t my specialty.

Just got a blue sky this weekend from AD. I don’t have a long history with any AD and have just gotten into the “game”. What I did do is buy any sports stainless that they offered me immediately. Since 08/18 that is 2 Red Sea, sub, black dial gmt. Flipped the last two for no profit and about $1k each on the red seas. What that did is when the blue sky popped up and the guy ahead of me on “list” just bought a house and is scared of his wife, passed, they called me.

I’m in a small town w a small AD. This is the only sky they have ever received. It was pure happen stance.

My advice. HOLD ON! U never know!!

More practically DO NOT pay over sticker for white or black from a resale standpoint. Unworn u will only get u msrp from the grey market.

If u really love the blue and don’t care about resale then ok to pay a bit over msrp (but I haven’t seen any under $20k which is crazy).

Just my humble novice opinion.

mominayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:53 PM   #51
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominayal View Post
Just got a blue sky this weekend from AD. I don’t have a long history with any AD and have just gotten into the “game”. What I did do is buy any sports stainless that they offered me immediately. Since 08/18 that is 2 Red Sea, sub, black dial gmt. Flipped the last two for no profit and about $1k each on the red seas. What that did is when the blue sky popped up and the guy ahead of me on “list” just bought a house and is scared of his wife, passed, they called me.

I’m in a small town w a small AD. This is the only sky they have ever received. It was pure happen stance.

My advice. HOLD ON! U never know!!

More practically DO NOT pay over sticker for white or black from a resale standpoint. Unworn u will only get u msrp from the grey market.

If u really love the blue and don’t care about resale then ok to pay a bit over msrp (but I haven’t seen any under $20k which is crazy).

Just my humble novice opinion.

They offered you two Sea-Dwellers ?
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:03 PM   #52
mominayal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaotter View Post
They offered you two Sea-Dwellers ?

Yep. Again small town so Rolex distribution seem to be so random.

I’m honestly still stunned they and hence I got a blue sky. Never in a million years thought it would happen.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks maybe China economy is slowing down, hence sales down, hence more distribution to the US

I have no evidence or data to support that but something has to explain how a guy like me can get that lucky lol.

Old 10 December 2018, 01:17 PM   #53
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Yep. Again small town so Rolex distribution seem to be so random.

I’m honestly still stunned they and hence I got a blue sky. Never in a million years thought it would happen.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks maybe China economy is slowing down, hence sales down, hence more distribution to the US

I have no evidence or data to support that but something has to explain how a guy like me can get that lucky lol.

Huge congrats!!! I’m jealous, as I ended up paying gray market prices. The heart wants what the heart wants, I suppose.

Sounds like the planets were lined up for you, really.

1). Small town resident-I hear Rolex doesn’t allow ADs to sell to out of state callers unless they show up physically to the store. So being a small town resident is huge.
2). AD likes you enough to give you dibs on other SS sports models, even as a new customer. Here in NY, it takes years and serious dough to get that kind of treatment.
3). Those purchases moved you up in the waiting list. Usually a call on one of those is considered using up your favor
4). The guy in front of you didn’t want it

Awesome to hear good things like this happen to people. Enjoy in great health!
Old 10 December 2018, 01:19 PM   #54
ace12
Banned

I would advice you do it now.
ace12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:29 PM   #55
CastorTroy
"TRF" Member

Saw a blue one in the Jamaica airport this weekend.
CastorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:36 PM   #56
mominayal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Huge congrats!!! I’m jealous, as I ended up paying gray market prices. The heart wants what the heart wants, I suppose.

Sounds like the planets were lined up for you, really.

1). Small town resident-I hear Rolex doesn’t allow ADs to sell to out of state callers unless they show up physically to the store. So being a small town resident is huge.

2). AD likes you enough to give you dibs on other SS sports models, even as a new customer. Here in NY, it takes years and serious dough to get that kind of treatment.

3). Those purchases moved you up in the waiting list. Usually a call on one of those is considered using up your favor

4). The guy in front of you didn’t want it

Awesome to hear good things like this happen to people. Enjoy in great health!

Thx!!! #blessed. Lol

Old 10 December 2018, 01:36 PM   #57
mominayal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorTroy View Post
Saw a blue one in the Jamaica airport this weekend.

Why didn’t u buy it???

Old 10 December 2018, 02:00 PM   #58
kroniclove
"TRF" Member

Get one, even gray market. I was on waiting list for blue one with my ad and came across a white one. I decided not to buy it and continue to hunt for the blue. If you like it just pay for it even if its a bit mark up. 16-18K is reasonable for the color you want.
kroniclove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:15 AM   #59
CastorTroy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why didn’t u buy it???

Because I was in a rush and wasn’t sure what the mark up on them on the street was. Couldn’t access watchrecon because internet was spotty and they were going to pull the stickers.

CastorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #60
badlarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Luxury time New York has a black stainless 16,600 2018 model
where did you see this one? i only see one for 19 and change. my trip to city got pushed until tomorrow so id love to check this one out.
badlarry is offline   Reply With Quote