The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 02:24 AM   #1
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Rolex lying to AD’s (at least in the USA)

It seems to me every single AD I visit (at least 10 in the south east USA) they all say the same thing. Rolex 100% makes them vow to remove all plastic from every piece they sell especially the highly sought after ones. They say that Rolex promised to take away their dealership and rights to sell Rolex if they ever catch them not doing it. I think if we look at the for sale section here you can see there are plenty of highly sought after pieces that still contain protective plastics. So there are only a few options here.

1. All these AD’s are lying to me
2. Rolex isn’t following through with their threat
3. These rules only pertain to the United States AD’s

I don’t know.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 02:34 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have seen and heard of Rolex publicly recommending ADs do stickers etc but privately the underlying threat is that if you are caught selling to flippers then you are in danger of losing the franchise. In the UK where this problem is so endemic, Rolex are not nearly so subtle and have had many "rogue" ADs up against the wall literally.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:32 AM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
AD's play all kind of games nowadays.
Non existing waiting lists, selling over MSRP, bundling deals, keeping papers-box-links, removing stickers, compulsory engraving, you name it.

As a rule you should doubt everything they say imho
Old 10 December 2018, 03:33 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My UK AD has been asked to remove all stickers and keep the warranty card for 12 months.

They always remove stickers in any case, on all brands. They are not retaining warranty cards.

It could be that Rolex beats it's USA ADs with sticks but takes a softer approach with UK ADs. Or it might just be how some ADs tell it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:34 AM   #5
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I've heard some interesting things from ADs and I'm convinced they know about as much as the rest of us...but they'll say just about anything to sell a watch sitting in the case!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:37 AM   #6
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

I live in Texas and my ad only takes off some of the stickers or sometimes none. I usually don't go in person to pick them up though because I make them ship it to my address in California to save on taxes. They've never even mention anything about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10 December 2018, 03:48 AM   #7
M3.
"TRF" Member

I’m UK based too and hear different views from different dealers. My regular AD Goldsmiths offered me a non date Sub told me they will remove stickers and keep cards no matter what, and my longevity as a customer of theirs means nothing. I told the manager I want the watch for my personal collection and my history with the dealer and net spend can verify that, but he insisted and remained adamant, in one final attempt I told him they’d get no more custom from me and to my amazement he was happy to tear up my 10 year association with them.

I then travelled up to Sheffield with work and purchased a date Sub, right time right place. The dealer was a lesser known but cosy independent and though the card remained with them stickers remained in situ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
My UK AD has been asked to remove all stickers and keep the warranty card for 12 months.

They always remove stickers in any case, on all brands. They are not retaining warranty cards.

It could be that Rolex beats it's USA ADs with sticks but takes a softer approach with UK ADs. Or it might just be how some ADs tell it.
M3. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:04 AM   #8
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

I picked up a BLNR a few weeks ago from my AD and I got the watch with all the stickers on, the warranty card and even the coffin box.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:06 AM   #9
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
AD's play all kind of games nowadays.
Non existing waiting lists, selling over MSRP, bundling deals, keeping papers-box-links, removing stickers, compulsory engraving, you name it.

As a rule you should doubt everything they say imho
I would do just that however every single one of them that I have been to have said the exact identical things. How is that even possible? They are completely different AD’s and owned by different people.

Instagram - patton250
Old 10 December 2018, 04:08 AM   #10
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
On the continent is the same. I believe all dealers in November got a written instruction that their license is in jeopardy if caught for selling with stickers and card not filled in. Some take it seriously others not. I believe such AD like Wempe with multiple points and huge turnover would not suffer any threat, but employee might get fired if caught. Small AD though might face serious consequences.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:35 AM   #11
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3. View Post
I’m UK based too and hear different views from different dealers. My regular AD Goldsmiths offered me a non date Sub told me they will remove stickers and keep cards no matter what, and my longevity as a customer of theirs means nothing. I told the manager I want the watch for my personal collection and my history with the dealer and net spend can verify that, but he insisted and remained adamant, in one final attempt I told him they’d get no more custom from me and to my amazement he was happy to tear up my 10 year association with them.

I then travelled up to Sheffield with work and purchased a date Sub, right time right place. The dealer was a lesser known but cosy independent and though the card remained with them stickers remained in situ.
Just out of curiosity, if your a collector and want the watch for your collection, why do you want the stickers on? I personally love when my AD takes off the stickers for me. I always miss some and discover them later still affixed to the watch. Now I do not have the AD size the band, as I like to play with it.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:37 AM   #12
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
On the continent is the same. I believe all dealers in November got a written instruction that their license is in jeopardy if caught for selling with stickers and card not filled in. Some take it seriously others not. I believe such AD like Wempe with multiple points and huge turnover would not suffer any threat, but employee might get fired if caught. Small AD though might face serious consequences.
My AD is very small and values their dealership. They don’t keep the card (Rolex never told them to do that) but they do take the stickers off.

Instagram - patton250
Old 10 December 2018, 04:46 AM   #13
M3.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
Just out of curiosity, if your a collector and want the watch for your collection, why do you want the stickers on? I personally love when my AD takes off the stickers for me. I always miss some and discover them later still affixed to the watch. Now I do not have the AD size the band, as I like to play with it.

I’ve not thought why I’d want the stickers off, in the past I have left the showroom gone home and removed them myself. I think now on reflection I was more pissed off with the hardball stance the manager adopted and considering I’ve been a regular and loyal customer it meant nothing to him.
M3. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:49 AM   #14
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

I like to keep the stickers on as long as possible on anything with polished centre links. I’m always gutted when that first inevitable scratch appears so I try hold it off as long as possible by keeping the stickers on. I play the guitar and when you buy a new fender they have plastic stickers in various places and I leave them on until they drop off too. I’m sad like that.
Old 10 December 2018, 04:49 AM   #15
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If they are selling out the back door to a Grey dealer, the last thing they need to be worried about is following some petty rule about peeling stickers off.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:51 AM   #16
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3. View Post
I’ve not thought why I’d want the stickers off, in the past I have left the showroom gone home and removed them myself. I think now on reflection I was more pissed off with the hardball stance the manager adopted and considering I’ve been a regular and loyal customer it meant nothing to him.
And I agree with you, if you want them on you should be able to have them, you’re paying.
Old 10 December 2018, 04:52 AM   #17
josephvman
Banned

We really needed another thread about this nonsense.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:53 AM   #18
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
The ADs in my area are under instructions from Rolex to keep the watch and box for a year, they do however let you take the stickers home with you.
Old 10 December 2018, 04:57 AM   #19
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
No doubt. Another sticker thread?

I can only guess that watches being sold second-hand with stickers are from ADs who either don't care about the policy or sold them before the memos went out. We can't control it so why worry about it. Complaining about it here won't fix the situation, increase supply or mitigate flipping.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:58 AM   #20
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Rolex lying to AD’s (at least in the USA)

https://2x1dks3q6aoj44bz1r1tr92f-wpe...lex-Batman.jpg

Leave the stickers on! I’ll take them off when I’m ready.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:02 AM   #21
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
That’s not what the thread is about. You must be a blast on Twitter.

Instagram - patton250
Old 10 December 2018, 05:08 AM   #22
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I purchased my Blnr in mid October and l got everything incl. coffin and bezel guard. I actually asked about keeping warranty cards or destickering and he laughed as if he's never heard of such a thing. Maybe things changed recently. The only thing he told me he has heard from Rolex while inquiring about any future incoming shipments (hopeful for Christmas) was a one word reply - 2019 -

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:10 AM   #23
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I have seen and heard of Rolex publicly recommending ADs do stickers etc but privately the underlying threat is that if you are caught selling to flippers then you are in danger of losing the franchise. In the UK where this problem is so endemic, Rolex are not nearly so subtle and have had many "rogue" ADs up against the wall literally.
Nobody walks into an AD with the word "flipper" tattooed on their forehead. Any buyer in this environment can and is a potential flipper, since it is enticing to be able to profit thousands$$ with very little effort. Just peruse the for sale section here, you will see many flipper watches for sale. Fully stickered, new members with low post counts and recent join dates etc. Rolex themselves have created this monster, nobody else.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:29 AM   #24
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Nobody walks into an AD with the word "flipper" tattooed on their forehead. Any buyer in this environment can and is a potential flipper, since it is enticing to be able to profit thousands$$ with very little effort. Just peruse the for sale section here, you will see many flipper watches for sale. Fully stickered, new members with low post counts and recent join dates etc. Rolex themselves have created this monster, nobody else.

I believe AD’s best customers must be flippers. In reality only a small percentage of Rolex owners have more than one or two. ADs sell to high volume collectors to keep their volume and profit up. Personally, I don’t really care. The only watches impacted are SS Professional models. If you follow the threads you’ll notice the shift towards PM threads. The market is self correcting.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:40 AM   #25
hipower
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Purchased an explorer first week of October from AD in tampa...still waiting for warranty card.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:44 AM   #26
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Rolex may not control AD selling to grey dealers but is able imposing control over the way watches leave the shop. Without stickers it will be difficult over inetrnet to asses whether watch is NOS or not. So by imposing no stickers and always a name on the card policy Rolex puts a big hurdle for occasional flippers. Of course it won’t make any difference for professionals.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:48 AM   #27
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Hi, I can add to this thread. I picked up my SS Sub Date Saturday from a big Rolex AD in the UK. All of the stickers etc were left in place but the warranty card was taken and I was told to apply for it in 12 months time, in person. I asked if this was necessary and was told that Rolex now insisted on this for all Professional series watches. The salesman said there was a UK database and it had to be registered that the watch was sold (to me) and they had retention of the card. It was non negotiable, take the watch without the card or don’t buy it. I took it obviously and asked about DDs and DJs. The answer was you get everything with them it’s just not on any Sports watch and “it’s to stop the flippers”.
I’m ok with it as I’m keeping it and if there is a problem I have a receipt.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:52 AM   #28
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

In my book, removing the stickers is nothing more or less than doing me a favor. No big deal.
Old 10 December 2018, 05:57 AM   #29
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian macdermott View Post
the ads in my area are under instructions from rolex to keep the watch and box for a year, they do however let you take the stickers home with you.
lol 😭
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 06:32 AM   #30
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
My AD takes off all stickers and registers the warranty with Rolex in front of me as I look at this as quality service. Why would I want the stickers still on the watch? I keep the green tag and warranty information including all boxes. What's the big deal? Well, unless one is looking to flip the watch...
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote