The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 December 2018, 05:33 AM   #211
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Depends. When I'm in Florida I'll lose track of how many Rolex watches I'll see in a day. I'm going out now and expect to see several. My wife has RG Yacht. But she mostly wears a GS Snowflake and has a beautiful Baum Mercier with a diamond bezel. We will never see those on another wrist, even in Florida. So you in a Rolex would be one of the sheep in some circles. And wearing a Hugo Boss suit with a Rolex sports watch would be noticed. But not in a good way.
When I go Boss I go Fluted Jubilee DJ41.

There is no doubt that I will run into AP's and PP's on occasion in business meetings, but my Daytona C is no slouch in those situations.
Old 10 December 2018, 05:36 AM   #212
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
If you were wearing bespoke and a rare Patek PC you'd be an individual. In your example, you're just a fluffier sheep in the flock.
No problem. I'll be the fluffiest sheep and happy with that. Having the best Rolex in the room is more than enough for me as it's the only brand I respect anyway.
Old 10 December 2018, 05:40 AM   #213
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post

There is no doubt that I will run into AP's and PP's on occasion in business meetings, but my Daytona C is no slouch in those situations.
It is a slouch in that company, actually. Whether you compare exclusivity, build quality, or simply MSRP, your Daytona is left in the dust behind those watches.

Quote:
No problem. I'll be the fluffiest sheep and happy with that. Having the best Rolex in the room is more than enough for me as it's the only brand I respect anyway.
And what makes you so certain that your Rolex is the best one in the room?
Old 10 December 2018, 05:42 AM   #214
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
There are now 248 BLROs for sale on Chrono24. Cheapest is $16K. There are 48 of them in the $17K range. Prices are only going in one direction and it ain’t upwards.
There aren't 248 BLRO's for sale. There are 40 of them for sale being advertised by their owners as well as 208 dealers who know where to get one of the 40. It's how my local NY grey operates. He says he has every reference on his website but when you ask him to see one he says he can have one in a week and then he runs to one of his grey friends on Chrono24 and then he gets a cut of that sale.

The ones for sale in the $17K range are either a) stickers-off used from a TS or b) being sold by individual private flippers who lack the credibility and security of a TS and therefore need to drop their prices to compete with the big-boy greys.
Old 10 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #215
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
It is a slouch in that company, actually. Whether you compare exclusivity, build quality, or simply MSRP, your Daytona is left in the dust behind those watches.
That's fine. The one time every 5 years that I'm in the presence of a yacht-owning billionaire I've got a lot more competitve slouchery to worry about than a wristwatch.

Quote:
And what makes you so certain that your Rolex is the best one in the room?
Because I eyeball other's watches and I'm keeping score. To me, I own every Rolex worth owning anyway, so there could be a Platona sitting across from me and I wouldn't care or feel like I'm wearing a lesser watch as I have no interest in it.
Old 10 December 2018, 06:00 AM   #216
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

The DJ would look just as out of place. Maybe more so.
Old 10 December 2018, 06:33 AM   #217
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
The DJ would look just as out of place. Maybe more so.
Yeah, no. Not sure how things operate in Florida, but here in Manhattan I see more Datejusts with business suits than I see Submariners with jeans and I see a lot of Submariners.
Old 10 December 2018, 06:35 AM   #218
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
If I'm in a crowd wearing Gap and Casio and I'm the one in Hugo Boss and Rolex, I'm more of a person of individual style than they are.
For the life of me, I don't know where some people get the idea that Rolex owners are status-conscious douches.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:14 AM   #219
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
For the life of me, I don't know where some people get the idea that Rolex owners are status-conscious douches.
Makes ya wonder.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:14 AM   #220
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
x2
Old 10 December 2018, 07:15 AM   #221
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, no. Not sure how things operate in Florida, but here in Manhattan I see more Datejusts with business suits than I see Submariners with jeans and I see a lot of Submariners.
Then you see a lot of people that don't know any better.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:23 AM   #222
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Quote:
^^This!
Old 10 December 2018, 07:28 AM   #223
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Brand conscious, yes. Style conscious, yes.

Status comes with the brand, nothing I can do about that, nor can you, it affects us all equally.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:33 AM   #224
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Status comes with the brand, nothing I can do about that, nor can you, it affects us all equally.
I have a friend in publishing. I'm going to put him in touch with you so you can collect your posts here over the last week or so and put them in a book titled, The World According to Rolmariner. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out if it should be marketed as absurdist humor or a psychological case study in obtuse narcissism.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:34 AM   #225
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have a family member who is the same way... thinks the sub is God’s gift to Earth, tells people how much he paid for it and thinks Rolex is the mark of success. Half the reason I sold mine... it is embarrassing, especially when you consider that Rolex is really the lower end of “luxury”. I’ve met people wearing ALS and Patek that don’t act like that. It’s the Rolex madness
Old 10 December 2018, 07:43 AM   #226
Burlington
"TRF" Member

These last 50 or so posts have really made me chuckle.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 10 December 2018, 07:45 AM   #227
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
I have a friend in publishing. I'm going to put him in touch with you so you can collect your posts here over the last week or so and put them in a book titled, The World According to Rolmariner. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out if it should be marketed as absurdist humor or a psychological case study in obtuse narcissism.
In England it's known as pi**taking.
At least that's what I think he's doing.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:46 AM   #228
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
I have a family member who is the same way... thinks the sub is God’s gift to Earth, tells people how much he paid for it and thinks Rolex is the mark of success. Half the reason I sold mine... it is embarrassing, especially when you consider that Rolex is really the lower end of “luxury”. I’ve met people wearing ALS and Patek that don’t act like that. It’s the Rolex madness
Rolex attracts a lot of people who measure their value to society by what they wear, or drive. I have yet to meet a Patek enthusiast who shares that trait.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:49 AM   #229
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
These last 50 or so posts have really made me chuckle.
It's very sad in many ways. The Seiko forum is so refreshing.
Old 10 December 2018, 07:51 AM   #230
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's very sad in many ways. The Seiko forum is so refreshing.

I share the sentiment

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 10 December 2018, 08:25 AM   #231
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
In England it's known as pi**taking.
At least that's what I think he's doing.
I've wondered that. If so, it's a credit to his writing ability that I can't be sure. At this rate he might end up like BristolCavendish - another Oscar Wilde type who used to get a rise out of people by posting bizarrely erudite yet fundamentally inane comments and is no longer with us.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:27 AM   #232
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I share the sentiment
On other watch forums, they talk about us and scratch their heads in bemusement.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:37 AM   #233
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
So this thread just took a sharp turn from a hypothetical corp strategy into the abyss. I'll unsubscribe.

BTW, the Patek comment above is spot on.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:46 AM   #234
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Nicely done, sir.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:46 AM   #235
timedate
-

i think its what is known in england as a wind up

or a walter mitty type, all forums are full of them, there will be people on here who talk about their rolexes and have never owned one.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:59 AM   #236
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Narcissist? That's quite incorrect and quite judgemental. I'm just a realist.

The average Rolex buyer can't get his hands on a BLRO without a preexisting relationship with an AD leaving the only other option to go grey. Reality.

The average Rolex owner enjoys being different than others and a luxury wristwatch makes helps make him more of an individual with a style of his own. Reality.

The average Rolex owner is judged as wearing status symbols by those ignorant of all the innovation they have brought to the table over the decades. Reality.

Rolex, as a brand, is going further upscale and is managing their production and design choices to help create scarcity and desirability. Reality.

I believe that sums up the content of my posts. Neither humorous or narcissistic. Just realistic.
Old 10 December 2018, 09:27 AM   #237
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Because I eyeball other's watches and I'm keeping score. To me, I own every Rolex worth owning anyway, so there could be a Platona sitting across from me and I wouldn't care or feel like I'm wearing a lesser watch as I have no interest in it.
Quote:
Narcissist? That's quite incorrect and quite judgemental. I'm just a realist.

The average Rolex buyer can't get his hands on a BLRO without a preexisting relationship with an AD leaving the only other option to go grey. Reality.

The average Rolex owner enjoys being different than others and a luxury wristwatch makes helps make him more of an individual with a style of his own. Reality.

The average Rolex owner is judged as wearing status symbols by those ignorant of all the innovation they have brought to the table over the decades. Reality.

Rolex, as a brand, is going further upscale and is managing their production and design choices to help create scarcity and desirability. Reality.

I believe that sums up the content of my posts. Neither humorous or narcissistic. Just realistic.
There is quite a bit of inconsistency in your posts.
Old 10 December 2018, 09:51 AM   #238
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's a head-scratcher for sure.
Old 10 December 2018, 11:04 AM   #239
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If one consumes items made by the creativity of others that are of higher quality and higher scarcity than the items others are wearing made by the creativity of others.

If I'm in a crowd wearing Gap and Casio and I'm the one in Hugo Boss and Rolex, I'm more of a person of individual style than they are.
Statements like this is why I stayed away from Rolex for so long
Old 10 December 2018, 12:20 PM   #240
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
Statements like this is why I stayed away from Rolex for so long
This whole thread is an embarrassment.
Closed Thread