The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 December 2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

AD Story and Advice

First off fairly new member and having so much fun reading all the posts. Didn’t know there were so many of us!

Recent story that I am sure many people have had but still shocks me. I am somewhat new to Denver so don’t have a relationship with the AD yet but want one. Last week I spent a bunch of time with them and told them they I am interested in any and all of the following 5164, Batman, Pepsi, Root Beer and a 15400. I said I wasn’t expecting a miracle but very serious about purchasing these and happy to do so at list. He didnt ask for my info but I did take his card. Later that day I wrote him a note thanking him for his time and putting in writing my list and explained that I was a collector not going to flip and happy to adhere to any of their house rules to insure that (take off stickers, keep papers, etc). Anyway, didnt ask for my info in the store, didn’t respond to my email. I know this is the current state of the watch market but still strikes me as odd that someone wouldn’t want my contact info when I asked to purchase 70k in watches. Other than finding a new AD (which I need to do) any other advice?

My collection down below (which the AD saw as well) as you can see the 6th spot is just waiting for one of the watches I mentioned. Thanks again for TRF it is amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 81FC2C57-125F-4440-9F66-A2D32B2E5FA9.jpeg (156.7 KB, 1561 views)
Alandenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Jimbo303
"TRF" Member

What’s the name of the ad?
Jimbo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandenver View Post
First off fairly new member and having so much fun reading all the posts. Didn’t know there were so many of us!

Recent story that I am sure many people have had but still shocks me. I am somewhat new to Denver so don’t have a relationship with the AD yet but want one. Last week I spent a bunch of time with them and told them they I am interested in any and all of the following 5164, Batman, Pepsi, Root Beer and a 15400. I said I wasn’t expecting a miracle but very serious about purchasing these and happy to do so at list. He didnt ask for my info but I did take his card. Later that day I wrote him a note thanking him for his time and putting in writing my list and explained that I was a collector not going to flip and happy to adhere to any of their house rules to insure that (take off stickers, keep papers, etc). Anyway, didnt ask for my info in the store, didn’t respond to my email. I know this is the current state of the watch market but still strikes me as odd that someone wouldn’t want my contact info when I asked to purchase 70k in watches. Other than finding a new AD (which I need to do) any other advice?

My collection down below (which the AD saw as well) as you can see the 6th spot is just waiting for one of the watches I mentioned. Thanks again for TRF it is amazing.
Nice collection! Unfortunately it’s a sellers market right now. Unless you’re willing to bundle some PM pieces or DJ, most ADs are not willing to just sell you hard to find pieces as a new customer. Only other route is going grey or using a TS here on the forums. Until supply opens up this is the boat we’re all in now. SD professional pieces are hard to come by at retail.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

Hyde Park
Old 8 December 2018, 01:56 PM   #5
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, being willing to spend $70k on watches with an immediate market value of $80k doesn't exactly move you to the top of anyone's list. With those watches an AD can make 5 customers happy and sell 5 slow selling watches or high mark up items on top. Those aren't watches in search of buyers.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I agree. Didn’t expect to get a watch. I expected them to have interest in taking my contact info even if they keep it in a drawer for a rainy day. Seems easy to say thanks for meeting you and will be happy to reach out if anything ever comes in. Cost them nothing to keep my contact info on file
Old 8 December 2018, 02:06 PM   #7
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
There will be a time when the global economy goes down (not just stock markets...) and I really hope that AD like that will regret to give a.... about new potential customers
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:15 PM   #8
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
A lot of us are in similar positions. My local Rolex AD plain out blows me off at will. I check in with him like at least 1 time a month for a solid year now and he always says "I've got you in mind, nothings come in" haha if thats the case they'd be out of business. I have 10 Rolex now 7-8 would have been from them if only they took me serious. They just plain out don't care. Makes me wonder if they just sell most pieces directly to the grey market.
Old 8 December 2018, 02:17 PM   #9
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If you want them to take you seriously pick up a DD40.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:27 PM   #10
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
A lot of us are in similar positions. My local Rolex AD plain out blows me off at will. I check in with him like at least 1 time a month for a solid year now and he always says "I've got you in mind, nothings come in" haha if thats the case they'd be out of business. I have 10 Rolex now 7-8 would have been from them if only they took me serious. They just plain out don't care. Makes me wonder if they just sell most pieces directly to the grey market.
Aren't many ADs also clandestine greys?

I doubt these ADs paying for brick and mortar stores are sitting around like stooges letting flippers make all the green.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

While I hate to imagine they are selling to the Greys it sure is a good explanation for not replying to someone and saying thanks and nice to meet you.
Old 8 December 2018, 02:30 PM   #12
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. I agree. Didn’t expect to get a watch. I expected them to have interest in taking my contact info even if they keep it in a drawer for a rainy day. Seems easy to say thanks for meeting you and will be happy to reach out if anything ever comes in. Cost them nothing to keep my contact info on file
I'd find another source.

Poor service and arrogance by Ferrari gave rise to Lamborghini.

Take your business elsewhere.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:49 PM   #13
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
There are plenty of 5 digit references available. I can't imagine putting up with this kind of treatment to buy a new watch.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:14 PM   #14
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Not surprising since you just want to buy all of the hard to get models. You'd be lucky if they sold you one of them, let alone all of them. Did you ask for them to take your info down? I gave a new dealer for a different brand my info the other day, which I'm sure won't mean much, but I did ask that they please take it and keep in touch. Such is life these days.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:21 PM   #15
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Aren't many ADs also clandestine greys?

I doubt these ADs paying for brick and mortar stores are sitting around like stooges letting flippers make all the green.
Of course they are. ADs are selling their stuff for above retail (or in case they aren't, they're bundling), so not only do they get their pieces at the 35-40% discount to MSRP, but they make additional profit on top of that.

Such is life.

To the OP: 70K in watches is a bag of peanuts for the AD. A grey would come in and swoop up their store for 250K in one day and come back the next month for a re-up.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 05:23 PM   #16
PepsiGMT
Banned

Quote:

I can't speak to other parts of the country, but here in the Washington DC area spending or offering to spend $70,000 is not going to impress anyone or get their attention. Not even close. No leverage with that period.

Here in DC wealthy clients go into the stores by appointment after hours and get to see the stuff that the average retail customer never sees. They break the "hidden stash" out of the safe. But these clients are also spending $500K-$1M at a pop. These are the people they are interested in pursuing.

Around here in the Northern Virginia area it's mostly middle east oil money. Head over to Tysons Corner Galleria on a Saturday night around 10 PM after the mall closes and look at the parking lot. You'll see every flavor of exotic car that you can shake a stick at.

This I can tell you as a fact.
PepsiGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 05:35 PM   #17
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Sorry if this comes across bluntly...

The problem is that all that you have done with this AD thus far is akin to promises written in water. It doesn't mean anything and the AD doesn't have any interest in that stuff...

You need to BUY something from them, even if it's another brand of watch.

If they don't sell another brand, then go to an AD that does and start a transactional relationship.

If you aren't interested in another brand, then just buy from DSW and end all the grief.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 09:11 PM   #18
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

It sounds like things are tougher in the US even than the UK, contrary to what I read here often. Big city centre AD's are worth avoiding in my limited experience, for the obvious reason that the super-rich shop there. I have adopted exactly the same approach you describe OP, and I have obtained a BLNR after purchasing a green dial sub and a blue dial DJ41. I am on the list for a couple of pieces that are very hard to get and I do believe I will get them within 12 months. (Proof is in the pudding I know!). I think you've done the right thing, maybe at the wrong AD? Smaller out of town family-run business is where I would be looking. I get that money talks, but being polite and honest and upfront like you have will only ever help your case, and we do see the odd story on here of when things work out, and it is not just the massive-spenders who get the sought after pieces. Good luck!
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 09:18 PM   #19
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:

Just buy a five slot watch box problem solved and you will have saved a few bob
Old 8 December 2018, 11:18 PM   #20
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

I'd go back at least a week or two later and work with someone else and see if you have a different experience (or ask for their watch person). My experiences has varied widely. If you get stuck with someone that doesn't really know watches, they're far less likely to care or help.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 10:35 AM   #21
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiGMT View Post
I can't speak to other parts of the country, but here in the Washington DC area spending or offering to spend $70,000 is not going to impress anyone or get their attention. Not even close. No leverage with that period.

Here in DC wealthy clients go into the stores by appointment after hours and get to see the stuff that the average retail customer never sees. They break the "hidden stash" out of the safe. But these clients are also spending $500K-$1M at a pop. These are the people they are interested in pursuing.

Around here in the Northern Virginia area it's mostly middle east oil money. Head over to Tysons Corner Galleria on a Saturday night around 10 PM after the mall closes and look at the parking lot. You'll see every flavor of exotic car that you can shake a stick at.

This I can tell you as a fact.

Sounds right
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 10:43 AM   #22
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I agree 100% with the OP that it costs the AD nothing to simply be polite to a customer.

The rude ADs out there would do well to remember that what goes around comes around.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 10:50 AM   #23
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
That’s just wrong. Why would you want to spend money with them. I pretty much use trusted sellers now. You might try Walters and Hogsett in Boulder. I’ve never been there but I’ve spoken to them a number of times on the phone. Very friendly convos.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 10:54 AM   #24
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, lots of great advice. Just so happen my son goes to CU boulder, sounds like I need to take my business elsewhere!
Old 9 December 2018, 02:04 PM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
You made the effort to go there. Too bad for the AD. He should talk with and take everyones contact info as a lead for any future purchase, Rolex or not, it's just good business sense. I'd move on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 02:56 PM   #26
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I think the issue is that all the watches on your wish list are hard to get and can be flipped from MSRP for a profit. These models nowadays are reserved as rewards for the AD’s most loyal clients. Basically a payment for past business.

If you want to establish that kind of relationship with an AD, they want you to buy a bunch of Breitlings, Omegas, Tags, and Datejusts-stuff they would have no trouble sourcing and loses 40% of its value once you walk out the door with it. Plus maybe lots of goodies for the Mrs.

Just to give you an idea-one of the ADs told me that to get on their Daytona wait list, you need a $250k spending history with them. And that’s purchases of the stuff I mentioned, not what’s on your list.

I’m not a fan of any of this, but that’s just what we have to work with.
Old 9 December 2018, 03:12 PM   #27
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
As has been said, the AD’s call the shots.

When you think about it why would they sell sought after Rolex models to you?

Given the list of requirements you gave them I would have pegged you as a flipper or a Grey buyer and a pix of a ‘current collection’ wouldn’t mean much.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:07 PM   #28
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
I think the issue is that all the watches on your wish list are hard to get and can be flipped from MSRP for a profit. These models nowadays are reserved as rewards for the AD’s most loyal clients. Basically a payment for past business.

If you want to establish that kind of relationship with an AD, they want you to buy a bunch of Breitlings, Omegas, Tags, and Datejusts-stuff they would have no trouble sourcing and loses 40% of its value once you walk out the door with it. Plus maybe lots of goodies for the Mrs.

Just to give you an idea-one of the ADs told me that to get on their Daytona wait list, you need a $250k spending history with them. And that’s purchases of the stuff I mentioned, not what’s on your list.

I’m not a fan of any of this, but that’s just what we have to work with.
Agreed
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:16 PM   #29
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Sorry if this comes across bluntly...

The problem is that all that you have done with this AD thus far is akin to promises written in water. It doesn't mean anything and the AD doesn't have any interest in that stuff...

You need to BUY something from them, even if it's another brand of watch.

If they don't sell another brand, then go to an AD that does and start a transactional relationship.

If you aren't interested in another brand, then just buy from DSW and end all the grief.
I don't get it....why would I want to buy another $9k non-Rolex from a dealer that I don't want.....just to get a model I do want for MSRP (in other words, save like $2k off a gray).

Seems like I am losing money there. Do AD's not think the Internet exists? It's like saying a new car dealer is oblivious to other dealers out there.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:30 PM   #30
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks all, lots of great advice. Just so happen my son goes to CU boulder, sounds like I need to take my business elsewhere!
Went to the AD in Aspen near the Hotel Jerome and they were incredibly nice.
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote