The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2018, 05:37 PM   #31
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Nice collection mate!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 07:24 PM   #32
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You won't build a relationship in one visit plus one email and no purchases. This doesn't apply just to Rolex. If you start giving them your money for stuff they can sell you today, they will start telling you things. It's also the best way to get your details onto their system. If for some reason you are uncomfortable about developing a relationship with them, I would trust your instinct and look elsewhere.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 09:19 PM   #33
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandenver View Post
First off fairly new member and having so much fun reading all the posts. Didn’t know there were so many of us!

Recent story that I am sure many people have had but still shocks me. I am somewhat new to Denver so don’t have a relationship with the AD yet but want one. Last week I spent a bunch of time with them and told them they I am interested in any and all of the following 5164, Batman, Pepsi, Root Beer and a 15400. I said I wasn’t expecting a miracle but very serious about purchasing these and happy to do so at list. He didnt ask for my info but I did take his card. Later that day I wrote him a note thanking him for his time and putting in writing my list and explained that I was a collector not going to flip and happy to adhere to any of their house rules to insure that (take off stickers, keep papers, etc). Anyway, didnt ask for my info in the store, didn’t respond to my email. I know this is the current state of the watch market but still strikes me as odd that someone wouldn’t want my contact info when I asked to purchase 70k in watches. Other than finding a new AD (which I need to do) any other advice?

My collection down below (which the AD saw as well) as you can see the 6th spot is just waiting for one of the watches I mentioned. Thanks again for TRF it is amazing.
In the current market it makes perfect sense - you've asked to purchase $70k in watches that are at the top of EVERYONE'S must have list. They have a grey market value pushing $100k so asking for them all together will mean little to an AD you don't have a relationship with - I have a very good, decade-long, relationship with mine and still waited 8 months for a Pepsi.

You may have better luck going back to the AD where you have a relationship and trying with him/her - best of luck my friend!
Old 9 December 2018, 09:55 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As the guys say giving them a list of popular watches is going to put them off you not endear you to them, if you really want to buy from an AD then you need to have 1 or 2 of the unpopulars too so you don't look like a complete flipper.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 10:38 PM   #35
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I don't get it....why would I want to buy another $9k non-Rolex from a dealer that I don't want.....just to get a model I do want for MSRP (in other words, save like $2k off a gray).

Seems like I am losing money there. Do AD's not think the Internet exists? It's like saying a new car dealer is oblivious to other dealers out there.
Of course its no more than a creative way of selling at market price but as long as there are people out there who are willing to indirectly pay over MSRP by buying jewelry or other watches than why would any AD in their right mind sell to you for less. You may be a really swell guy, but the guy who walked in the door behind you wants that same watch and he doesn't care what it costs.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:48 AM   #36
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bag View Post
Went to the AD in Aspen near the Hotel Jerome and they were incredibly nice.
You'll also find that the Rolex AD's in Aspen, in my experience, will not sell over the phone- only to people in the store.

Last time I was there, they had a great selection of SS sports pieces.
Old 10 December 2018, 01:54 AM   #37
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
You'll also find that the Rolex AD's in Aspen, in my experience, will not sell over the phone- only to people in the store.

Last time I was there, they had a great selection of SS sports pieces.
By any chance was the last time you were there in 2015?
Old 10 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #38
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m with all of the above who believe you did just the opposite of what you thought you were doing. Asking for a laundry list of allocation models paints you as a flipper, they could care less about what you have now.
I think you’ve blown your chance with this dealer and I don’t find them at fault. Find another and start with smaller aspirations or go gray.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Sorry if this comes across bluntly...

The problem is that all that you have done with this AD thus far is akin to promises written in water. It doesn't mean anything and the AD doesn't have any interest in that stuff...

You need to BUY something from them, even if it's another brand of watch.

If they don't sell another brand, then go to an AD that does and start a transactional relationship.

If you aren't interested in another brand, then just buy from DSW and end all the grief.
Yep. Pull out that wallet and buy something. Everything else is just white noise.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:57 AM   #40
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. We may have gotten off track. If you recall I didnt expect to get a watch, didn’t expect to get on a list, nor did I expect to become a VIP. My comment was the sad state of our market that someone doesn’t want free contact info (twice btw) from someone who may buy a watch. I just found it very odd that companies pay tens of thousands of dollars to get contact info of perceived qualified buyers and this AD didn’t even want one for a rainy day. Anyway, thanks for all the great comments.
Alandenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 06:18 AM   #41
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You asked what everybody else is asking. Not only one, but all of the desired models
Old 10 December 2018, 07:47 AM   #42
Relentless
"TRF" Member

Tell them you can't wait for the stock market to drop 10k points and be in a recession again so you can buy some watches. Then come back and describe their facial expression here. LOL.

Everybody's sick of the run-around. Rolex has killed off the in-store experience by not cracking down on the grey market far enough.

B
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 08:48 AM   #43
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
There are plenty of 5 digit references available. I can't imagine putting up with this kind of treatment to buy a new watch.
Amen
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 09:04 AM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d narrow my sights and express interest in one or maybe two of the watches you listed, and you really really want.

I’ve found that by getting to know the AD and letting them get to know you, helps

Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:33 AM   #45
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

We can all agree that the current market value of a new ceramic bezel Daytona or a stainless steel Pepsi GMT Master is somewhat higher than the MSRP. It follows that the dealer is naturally going to want to sell that desirable watch for as close to market value as they can. An AD can’t sell a new watch for more than MSRP. The AD is going to try and link the sale of a rare valuable piece along with sales of other harder to move watches or other jewelry with a higher profit margin.

For you to walk into a Rolex dealer and think your willingness to spend $70K on pieces that have a true market value of upwards of $100K makes you seem like you’re a great future customer, you must truly be deluded.

Last edited by t65tampa; 10 December 2018 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
t65tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:37 AM   #46
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
My take is that the AD’s are getting frustrated themselves. Think about how much business they are losing ahveing no stock? I called AD’s within a 100 mile radius last week, not a single SS sports model in stock.
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:39 AM   #47
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
For you to walk into a Rolex dealer and think your willingness to spend $70K on pieces that have a true market value of upwards of $100K makes you seem like you’re a great future customer, you must truly be deluded.
No need to speak to the guy this way. Have some class man, he was asking a question and looking for feedback. Not to be called names.
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:16 AM   #48
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
No need to speak to the guy this way. Have some class man, he was asking a question and looking for feedback. Not to be called names.
I did not mean to be rude to the OP in any way directly. It seems that we have threads that frequently describe frustrations with the Rolex watch market where availability of desirable watches is a big problem for the consumer. Was merely expressing the reality that the ADs have businesses to run, and if we think of how we, as consumers, fit into that model, we won’t be disappointed or surprised at how we’re treated. So the description was general, not specific. Thank you for letting me clarify that.
Old 10 December 2018, 11:24 AM   #49
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Nope. He was actually quite polite.

Fronting up to an AD expressing the desire to buy the hottest pieces in the current market, at list, whilst showing off his current collection to evince said intention to AD, reeks of ignorance of the current state of play, arrogance and delusion. 10 out of 10 people who front up at an AD are also serious about buying watches at list. What makes him so special?
rowlecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:29 AM   #50
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You are mad because the AD has not called you?
Maybe he has no inventory of what you want.
Why do guys concentrate on only one AD?
Stop in with a few AD’s and schmooze with them, keep dropping in each month, you will eventually get the call to part with your money.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:11 PM   #51
Alandenver
"TRF" Member

Not sure how to end this thread. All I did is try to meet an AD, he asked what I liked, I told him. Clearly once I told him the models I like or wanted he lost interest. So I tried a follow up as well. Can’t make people talk to me nor will I beg people to take my money. I don’t believe that makes me “deluded” or ignorant or arrogant. Just thought I was a guy shopping for a new AD in a new town. Thanks all
Alandenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 01:22 PM   #52
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandenver View Post
Hyde Park

Who’d you deal with there?

I’ve built a good relationship with Hyde Park over the years. Purchased five watches from them this year alone (all models I wanted) and they give great discounts if you push them. Now I will admit I am frustrated with them too. I’ve been on the Daytona list for two years and the Pepsi list since day one. Yet nothing. Now I’m no whale, but after dropping deep into the five figures at their store these past 11 months, they should have the decency to source me one of the watches I lust after. I’m now going to take my business elsewhere.
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote