The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2018, 05:42 AM   #1
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Incoming. SS Rolex (BLNR). From a UK AD(!!!)

Finally got the call today. Absolutely stoked. Deposit down. Pick up on Saturday.

I thought, since from time to time on here folk enquire about getting hold of popular sports Rolexes in the UK, I’d briefly relay my experience. I’m not an expert, and I’m not saying what I’ve done is the best or only way of getting hold of one. But it’s what I did. Bear in mind, this will be my first Rolex, albeit I have a few nice watches from other brands I had no kudos with any AD save for an Omega boutique. I’m not a VIP, nor a big spender on PM watches.

So the hunt began last Summer. Saw a BLNR in Watchfinder Canary Wharf and fell for it - this watch looks so much better in the metal and on the wrist than any picture. I went straight across to the nearest AD (WOS Canary Wharf) and got myself a place at number 140(!) on their waiting list (quoted 1 year). Then, with my wife for some unknown reason enthused about the hunt, I resolved to incorporate finding local Rolex AD's on our frequent weekend trips away. I added myself, always in person and never on the phone, to several more waiting lists being quoted anywhere between 1.5 and 4 years. I even tried to leverage the purchase of another watch (an OP39 for me or an OP31 for the wife) to try to sneak up the priority scale but to no avail. Every AD I spoke to told me the same thing: they don’t know exactly when they will get the watch in, nor exactly how many. I was told that stock is roughly proportional to how much business the AD does. I was told that there was a high attrition rate on the lists - they would often call up to 10 people on the list before getting a buyer. All seemed quite strict about sticking to the lists (though I have no doubt that VIP’s and the very rich could subvert them).

I bought the OP for the wife anyway, at my closest AD, and got myself on the list there too. They actually refused to give me details of their list size or prospective wait. That was in July.

After that I visited various AD’s in London and the South East and was either quoted years or wasn’t allowed on the list at all due to not being local. I figured I wasn’t going to find anywhere with a list shorter than a year so I didn’t bother adding myself to any more lists. I tried to forget about the watch, not to look on WF, where prices have gone mental and tried to not log on here every day, to make the wait less of a game of patience.

As it happens, the call today came from my nearest AD, and the one from whom I bought the wife’s watch. Whether or not that made a difference, I don’t know. But despite my expecting to wait over a year, I will be picking it up after “only” 5 and a half months.

So it is possible to buy Rolex sports watch without getting gouged by a grey. It just requires a small amount of graft.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 06:19 AM   #2
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
That is EXACTLY how you get a watch at list in the UK.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 06:30 AM   #3
vacano
"TRF" Member

Must admit AD relationship is key. After buying the OP you probably became a ‘client’ on their books. Next jump is ‘VIP’. UK ADs are very precious about who they sell watches to but once you develop a relationship with them you stand a better chance of securing desirable watches.
vacano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 06:52 AM   #4
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

Previous purchase history is ALWAYS a factor in the UK considering the current climate. These models very rarely go to first time buyers. Congratulations on the acquisition of a fantastic watch, you’re going to love it!
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 06:58 AM   #5
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats in advance, that is a great watch!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:15 AM   #6
Gman11
"TRF" Member

Brilliant news!!

Enjoy when you pick it up.
Gman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:17 AM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:21 AM   #8
rex513
Banned

very nice choice... congrats
rex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:47 AM   #9
solesman
"TRF" Member

Your perseverance really paid off. This enthuses me to do the same when I go looking for an LVc.

Congrats on your BLNR. Please post a photo when you get a chance.
solesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:48 AM   #10
nick c
Banned

Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:54 AM   #11
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solesman View Post
Your perseverance really paid off. This enthuses me to do the same when I go looking for an LVc.

Congrats on your BLNR. Please post a photo when you get a chance.
Mate, third thing I’m going to do, after sizing the watch and drinking however much champagne they give me, is to get myself on their list for an LVc.

I never imagined liking a green watch, but much like the BLNR, it just looks incredible in person. Good luck when you start your hunt.
Old 10 January 2018, 07:57 AM   #12
solesman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Mate, third thing I’m going to do, after sizing the watch and drinking however much champagne they give me, is to get myself on their list for an LVc.

I never imagined liking a green watch, but much like the BLNR, it just looks incredible in person. Good luck when you start your hunt.
Enjoy that champagne.

I've yet to see one in the flesh but if it's half as good as a photo then I'm sold
solesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solesman View Post
Enjoy that champagne.

I've yet to see one in the flesh but if it's half as good as a photo then I'm sold
Whenever you’re up in London, Watchfinder often have them in store. They look a hundred times better than in pics. Only problem with that plan is you might immediately want to just pay the 50% grey premium there and then.
Old 10 January 2018, 08:07 AM   #14
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats! I also would never pay over MSRP for any watch no matter how bad l want it.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:08 AM   #15
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Congrats
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:45 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Well done, that's the way to land one at retail and 5 months is not bad at all, will only get worse this year. BTW it was at that WF in CW that I went in thinking to get either the BLNR or DB and the LVc just blew me away and so that became my next watch, I'll always will be grateful that they had them all to compare. They have the best lighting, everything looks so good so no wonder they get away with the biggest premiums.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:46 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:59 AM   #18
mick121212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Quote:
Finally got the call today. Absolutely stoked. Deposit down. Pick up on Saturday.

I thought, since from time to time on here folk enquire about getting hold of popular sports Rolexes in the UK, I’d briefly relay my experience. I’m not an expert, and I’m not saying what I’ve done is the best or only way of getting hold of one. But it’s what I did. Bear in mind, this will be my first Rolex, albeit I have a few nice watches from other brands I had no kudos with any AD save for an Omega boutique. I’m not a VIP, nor a big spender on PM watches.

So the hunt began last Summer. Saw a BLNR in Watchfinder Canary Wharf and fell for it - this watch looks so much better in the metal and on the wrist than any picture. I went straight across to the nearest AD (WOS Canary Wharf) and got myself a place at number 140(!) on their waiting list (quoted 1 year). Then, with my wife for some unknown reason enthused about the hunt, I resolved to incorporate finding local Rolex AD's on our frequent weekend trips away. I added myself, always in person and never on the phone, to several more waiting lists being quoted anywhere between 1.5 and 4 years. I even tried to leverage the purchase of another watch (an OP39 for me or an OP31 for the wife) to try to sneak up the priority scale but to no avail. Every AD I spoke to told me the same thing: they don’t know exactly when they will get the watch in, nor exactly how many. I was told that stock is roughly proportional to how much business the AD does. I was told that there was a high attrition rate on the lists - they would often call up to 10 people on the list before getting a buyer. All seemed quite strict about sticking to the lists (though I have no doubt that VIP’s and the very rich could subvert them).

I bought the OP for the wife anyway, at my closest AD, and got myself on the list there too. They actually refused to give me details of their list size or prospective wait. That was in July.

After that I visited various AD’s in London and the South East and was either quoted years or wasn’t allowed on the list at all due to not being local. I figured I wasn’t going to find anywhere with a list shorter than a year so I didn’t bother adding myself to any more lists. I tried to forget about the watch, not to look on WF, where prices have gone mental and tried to not log on here every day, to make the wait less of a game of patience.

As it happens, the call today came from my nearest AD, and the one from whom I bought the wife’s watch. Whether or not that made a difference, I don’t know. But despite my expecting to wait over a year, I will be picking it up after “only” 5 and a half months.

So it is possible to buy Rolex sports watch without getting gouged by a grey. It just requires a small amount of graft.
How much discount did you manage? I'm assuming 5%?
mick121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:08 AM   #19
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on a gorgeous piece.
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:09 AM   #20
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well done, that's the way to land one at retail and 5 months is not bad at all, will only get worse this year. BTW it was at that WF in CW that I went in thinking to get either the BLNR or DB and the LVc just blew me away and so that became my next watch, I'll always will be grateful that they had them all to compare. They have the best lighting, everything looks so good so no wonder they get away with the biggest premiums.
Cheers.

I saw the LVc at the same time I saw the BLNR. It was the first time I’d seen either watch in the metal. As it happens, and this is probably heresy on here, I wasn’t actually a huge Rolex fan up until that point. Nothing against the brand, I just didn’t much like the look of the watches, or at least I thought I didn’t. Looking back, the real issue was that as a casual observer of Rolexes I was only exposed to the slim pickings in the AD window. It just makes me wonder how much more demand there would be for Rolexes if punters could actually see some of the popular watches in the actual shop that is supposed to officially sell them. Surely they’re missing a trick? Who am I to question the business practices of such a successful company, eh?!
Old 10 January 2018, 11:37 AM   #21
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Congrats in advance. Looking forward to seeing a picture posted soon.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:25 AM   #22
EmilA
"TRF" Member

That certainly is how you buy a watch in the UK. I did the same last year when looking for a SubC.
Enjoy the watch, I love mine, prefer wearing it over my Hulk!
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:31 AM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Congrats...it's a great watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:34 AM   #24
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Well done!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 12:41 AM   #25
jimi whiskas
"TRF" Member

Icon5

Great story and congrats.
Can i just say that i am brand new to this site and i have joined for the very same reason
I was really interested to read your story and i now have a great starting point and i will visit local dealers this weekend but can somebody please explain what all the abbreviations are about !!!!!

AD
PM watches
BLNR
OP
confused !!!!
jimi whiskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:00 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cheers.

I saw the LVc at the same time I saw the BLNR. It was the first time I’d seen either watch in the metal. As it happens, and this is probably heresy on here, I wasn’t actually a huge Rolex fan up until that point. Nothing against the brand, I just didn’t much like the look of the watches, or at least I thought I didn’t. Looking back, the real issue was that as a casual observer of Rolexes I was only exposed to the slim pickings in the AD window. It just makes me wonder how much more demand there would be for Rolexes if punters could actually see some of the popular watches in the actual shop that is supposed to officially sell them. Surely they’re missing a trick? Who am I to question the business practices of such a successful company, eh?!
It wasn't like this before Brexit, but paradoxically the more they can't see them, the more they want them... as we have the interenet now.
Old 11 January 2018, 01:01 AM   #27
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Many Congrats that is some determination right there.

I don't think I'll ever buy from the UK again, WF prices and greys have gone through the roof and getting my BLNR from Dubai was so easy it was ridiculous and I got a discount, that was July last year. Rang 4 weeks in advance told them exactly where and when I was staying and low and behold it was waiting for me when I arrived. The stock the UAE get is riduclous compared to anywhere else in the world.
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 09:23 AM   #28
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
congrats !
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 10:13 AM   #29
Pudsey bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi whiskas View Post
Great story and congrats.
Can i just say that i am brand new to this site and i have joined for the very same reason
I was really interested to read your story and i now have a great starting point and i will visit local dealers this weekend but can somebody please explain what all the abbreviations are about !!!!!

AD
PM watches
BLNR
OP
confused !!!!
Haven’t got my first Rolex yet but have been browsing the site for sometime now so I’ll try my best:

1. AD- Authorised Dealer.

2. PM- Precious metal so gold and platinum watches.

3. BLNR is referring to the GMT Master 2 with Black and Blue bezel.

4. OP can mean one of two things: Either the Original Poster/ Original Post or it can also be regarding the Rolex model called the Oyster Perpetual.

Come to think of it, I think there is a sticky which has a list of abbreviations.
Pudsey bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 11:50 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey bear View Post
Haven’t got my first Rolex yet but have been browsing the site for sometime now so I’ll try my best:

1. AD- Authorised Dealer.

2. PM- Precious metal so gold and platinum watches.

3. BLNR is referring to the GMT Master 2 with Black and Blue bezel.

4. OP can mean one of two things: Either the Original Poster/ Original Post or it can also be regarding the Rolex model called the Oyster Perpetual.

Come to think of it, I think there is a sticky which has a list of abbreviations.
You def qualify to buy your first Rolex... if only you didn't live in the UK...