The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2024, 02:55 AM   #61
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I'm pretty sure Jaromir Jagr consistently scored 15 goals a year when he was north of 40 before retiring. I suppose I could look it up to be sure.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 03:20 AM   #62
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The NHL scouting report on Gretzky before he turned pro was that he was not a good skater, too small/light and couldn't break a pane of glass with his shot.

Even though he was a phenom in the lesser ranks growing up, it was thought that he would get destroyed when he started to play against men.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-wayne-gretzky
Old 1 March 2024, 03:42 AM   #63
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The NHL scouting report on Gretzky before he turned pro was that he was not a good skater, too small/light and couldn't break a pane of glass with his shot.

Even though he was a phenom in the lesser ranks growing up, it was thought that he would get destroyed when he started to play against men.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-wayne-gretzky
Peewee was a cake walk

Great read
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 09:11 AM   #64
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Peewee was a cake walk

Great read
I think that was when he first tucked his jersey into his pants (his trademark look) because he was always playing with older guys and the jerseys fit like a dress otherwise.

I’m sure the stories were better from your neck of the woods. I didn’t get to see him until Edmonton.
Old 1 March 2024, 09:21 AM   #65
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
I grew up watching Kings games with Gretzky and Co. Can't help but imagine Marty McSorley hanging out in the Capitals parking lot with a tire iron (or longer than regulation length stick). Ovechkin can't be allowed to pass the great one.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 09:25 AM   #66
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I grew up watching Kings games with Gretzky and Co. Can't help but imagine Marty McSorley hanging out in the Capitals parking lot with a tire iron (or longer than regulation length stick). Ovechkin can't be allowed to pass the great one.
Agree. Where the hell is Marty when you need him?
Old 1 March 2024, 09:45 PM   #67
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I am also in the Gretzky era camp...hope Ovi does not do it.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 12:03 AM   #68
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Looking at his stats, the decline over the last couple of years is pretty noticeable. Think it might be harder for him to finish this off than some people are thinking. Maybe the Capitals are committed to it and will keep running him out there no matter what, but for such a great player, it would be sad if his ice time started to become a joke. He's already sporting the worst +/- on the team and he's only going to get older and slower from here.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:02 AM   #69
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Looking at his stats, the decline over the last couple of years is pretty noticeable. Think it might be harder for him to finish this off than some people are thinking. Maybe the Capitals are committed to it and will keep running him out there no matter what, but for such a great player, it would be sad if his ice time started to become a joke. He's already sporting the worst +/- on the team and he's only going to get older and slower from here.
I think they promised him they'd stick with him until the bitter end. Meaning no rebuild, just propping up the team until he achieves it.

Which as you say could get to be pretty boring.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:13 AM   #70
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
This reminds me of Tiger vs Jack Nicholas. I did not want Tiger to win more majors than Jack when it looked like Tiger surely would. Now that Tiger has had his struggles, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I pull for him actually. Hell of a competitor, at everything I assume.

Met Jack Nicholas once. No desire to meet Tiger.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 03:09 AM   #71
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Thought I’d bump this thread in light of the goal tally as of today …

26 goals isn’t a bad year is it? Second in team scoring and 38 years old.

Still hoping by some miracle he doesn’t break the record, but it’s starting to look like it’s inevitable.

Anyway … here’s a bit of trivia I saw about two of my favourite players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2024, 05:32 AM   #72
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thought I’d bump this thread in light of the goal tally as of today …

26 goals isn’t a bad year is it? Second in team scoring and 38 years old.

Still hoping by some miracle he doesn’t break the record, but it’s starting to look like it’s inevitable.

Anyway … here’s a bit of trivia I saw about two of my favourite players

He got really hot in the second half of the year. It seems a lot more likely he’ll do it now, unfortunately.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 10:15 PM   #73
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
They asked Gretzky about it in an interview. He was very humble about it and pretty much said the game needs it, he will be there when it happens. That being said his assist record is untouchable. Best set up man to ever play.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 10:17 PM   #74
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
They asked Gretzky about it in an interview. He was very humble about it and pretty much said the game needs it, he will be there when it happens. That being said his assist record is untouchable. Best set up man to ever play.

I guess they say records are meant to be broken, although it would seem Gretzky’s all time points record will stand a good long while
Old 6 April 2024, 01:38 AM   #75
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

To put things into perspective

Old 22 April 2024, 05:48 AM   #76
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
Been unlucky, still getting his shots off at his usual pace. Hi shooting % is half of his career average and his expected number of goals is more than double his current season total, sometimes things like this happen in sports. I still think at some point he starts getting some bounces and ends the year with 25-30 goals and passes Gretzky eventually.
Bumping it, ended the season with 31 goals despite the brutal first half of the season. Ovechkin is inevitable , you don't have to like it but barring a career ending injury he will be the all time goal king. Starts next season within striking distance just 41 goals back and he has 2 years left on his contract . Ill say he hangs them up after those 2 seasons with somewhere between 910-920 goals.
Old 23 April 2024, 10:37 AM   #77
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
I see it has already been mentioned, but that fact that Gretzky has more assists than any other player’s total points, there is no comparison. Love Ovi, but he doesn’t belong in any comparison to Gretzky.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 11:51 AM   #78
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Can’t compare era’s . Ovechkin would have 1200 goals if you adjusted the scoring in his area compared to Gretzky , hell had he not lost 2 seasons from lockouts and Covid he would be around 1000 career goals . It’s no coincidence that all of the highest scoring seasons and careers come from that era , goaltending and defence was terrible . I find it interesting that people won’t give credit where it’s due , he is the greatest goal scorer of all time , bringing up Crosby and Gretzky assist totals won’t change that . Bunch of canucks in here don’t want the big bad Russian to take the crown.
Old 26 April 2024, 08:33 AM   #79
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
Can’t compare era’s . Ovechkin would have 1200 goals if you adjusted the scoring in his area compared to Gretzky , hell had he not lost 2 seasons from lockouts and Covid he would be around 1000 career goals . It’s no coincidence that all of the highest scoring seasons and careers come from that era , goaltending and defence was terrible . I find it interesting that people won’t give credit where it’s due , he is the greatest goal scorer of all time , bringing up Crosby and Gretzky assist totals won’t change that . Bunch of canucks in here don’t want the big bad Russian to take the crown.
The thing about Gretzky's era is everyone wants to crap on it but 1 guy did what he did. He was light years ahead of everyone else. I love both but until Ovechkin scores 895, he is #2.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote