The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 February 2017, 03:43 PM   #31
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
Hi Folks here,
This is my first post here, but I learned some great knowledge from you guys through the past three years with non-registration on the forum.
The reason I am posting this thread is I am getting totally lost in picking my engagement gift.
I went to two local watch ADs and tried on several APs and PPs on my wrist, but I just can't make my mind.
The Main factors I am concerning on watches are:
1. design
2. movement
3. future value
and current I am looking at PP 5980 1AR 001 & 5711/1R 001 for PP.
For AP I am looking at 26331 1220OR.01 or 15400OR.
As this is my first watch above 40k, I just want you guys could give me some suggestions for the purchase.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks again guys.
Whether you get a PP Nautilus or an AP RO, you will take a hit on depreciation if you buy a RG model (as opposed to a SS model) unless you get a significant discount. However since it is your engagement watch, I can see why you would want it in gold instead of SS.

Unless you are a big fan of chronos, I would recommend the 5711/1R, the 15400OR or the 15202OR. Although I do not own any of these, I have tried on all three at ADs and they are all nice watches.

Do you want/prefer a second hand on your watch? If you do, then you can choose between the 5711 and the 15400. Do you prefer the blue or brown or black dial? Do you have a strong preference between the PP or AP brand?

Although I am a PP person, between the 15202OR, 15400OR and the 5711/1R, I think the 15202OR looks the best.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 03:47 PM   #32
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I went with this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0936.jpg (123.8 KB, 267 views)
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 04:59 AM   #33
wzj519
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Batman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Whether you get a PP Nautilus or an AP RO, you will take a hit on depreciation if you buy a RG model (as opposed to a SS model) unless you get a significant discount. However since it is your engagement watch, I can see why you would want it in gold instead of SS.

Unless you are a big fan of chronos, I would recommend the 5711/1R, the 15400OR or the 15202OR. Although I do not own any of these, I have tried on all three at ADs and they are all nice watches.

Do you want/prefer a second hand on your watch? If you do, then you can choose between the 5711 and the 15400. Do you prefer the blue or brown or black dial? Do you have a strong preference between the PP or AP brand?

Although I am a PP person, between the 15202OR, 15400OR and the 5711/1R, I think the 15202OR looks the best.
Hey Bud, thanks for the input first. Personally, I am in between AP and PP, but my significant the other prefers PP over AP.
Anyway, I am narrowing down option now, because it's an engagement gift, so I am going to choose a simple and timeless design. The 5711/1R and 15202OR are the final two choices I would choose from.
wzj519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:23 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Hey Bud, thanks for the input first. Personally, I am in between AP and PP, but my significant the other prefers PP over AP.
Anyway, I am narrowing down option now, because it's an engagement gift, so I am going to choose a simple and timeless design. The 5711/1R and 15202OR are the final two choices I would choose from.
Have fun choosing, I went for the 5711.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:58 AM   #35
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It may be wise to listen to your future spouse's preference. However since it will be your watch, it is equally important that you like the watch. The 15202OR is available in a blue dial, whereas the 5711/1R is currently available in a brown dial.

Here is a photo of the 15202OR I tried on a few months ago. I don't think the blue dial is as nice as the blue dial on the 5711/1A. I think the 15202OR is harder to find than the 15400OR, but both were available at the AP boutique I visited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP 15202OR.jpg (114.8 KB, 231 views)
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 10:12 AM   #36
texex91
"TRF" Member

Let's see...yep, AP
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 03:18 PM   #37
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

I agree with your two finalists - 5711R and 15202 RG. I would probably choose the PP. I like the style, the second hand and the brown dial with rose gold. I also like AP, as I am wearing one now. If you are truly 50% for each, then I'd listen to your future spouse and get the PP. Probably a result of 35 years of marriage! :-)
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 12:52 AM   #38
josephvman
Banned

In sport watches you have far more choices with AP, particularly if you are used to larger watches or have big wrists. The PP choices will seem either underwhelming on the wrist, or understated, depending on your personality. I chose a 5167 because it flies under the radar. There is no wrong answer and I'm sure if you try a few on you'll quickly figure out which is for you.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 04:56 AM   #39
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

If value is a serious concern, pick the Patek.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 11:31 AM   #40
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well, being a sucker for Nautilus, my answer should be obvious!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:39 AM   #41
tjbender
2024 Pledge Member

There can only be one king. Go PP ;)
tjbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 06:17 AM   #42
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
PP generally, but I have a soft spot for the steel Jumbo re-issue with blue dial, just gorgeous.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 07:12 AM   #43
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I would add that Patek's servicing is painfully slow. My 5712G took 9 months. Personally I don't think that's acceptable when I can get a Lange serviced in less than a third of the time.
What happened that it took 9 months?! I know 6 is common but 9 is really quite long...
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 07:12 AM   #44
willski
"TRF" Member

Both the 5711R and 15202OR are beauties, and it's a toss-up between them.

Decide whether you want a blue dial or brown dial :)
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:53 PM   #45
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I would definitely take a look at AP 15202 RG.
Thanks again.
I'd say that's by far the one to have. The proper 2121-movement Royal Oak is still the best-looking of the bunch, regardless of whether the metal is steel, gold or platinum. In my experience, there's no other bracelet watch that can match its refinement on the wrist; it simply exudes quality without being excessively showy about it.

The 5711 is fine too, but I believe Patek Philippe in particular is experiencing a bit of a bubble at the moment — more so than its peers, though most of the industry's pricing seems vulnerable to a correction — due to their significantly-increased production combined with significantly-decreased design skill, so I wouldn't guarantee that a modern Nautilus would hold its long-term value better. Fortunately, they haven't messed with the 5711 too much, but to me, the original ultra-thin version of the Royal Oak is the stronger design and will always be the more desirable watch.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. :)
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 01:47 PM   #46
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
I'd say that's by far the one to have. The proper 2121-movement Royal Oak is still the best-looking of the bunch, regardless of whether the metal is steel, gold or platinum. In my experience, there's no other bracelet watch that can match its refinement on the wrist; it simply exudes quality without being excessively showy about it.

The 5711 is fine too, but I believe Patek Philippe in particular is experiencing a bit of a bubble at the moment — more so than its peers, though most of the industry's pricing seems vulnerable to a correction — due to their significantly-increased production combined with significantly-decreased design skill, so I wouldn't guarantee that a modern Nautilus would hold its long-term value better. Fortunately, they haven't messed with the 5711 too much, but to me, the original ultra-thin version of the Royal Oak is the stronger design and will always be the more desirable watch.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. :)
Patek cut production and its prices are just now starting to rise after coming down over the last 2-3 years. I'm not sure why your info is different but I don't believe it's correct.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 10:05 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Patek cut production and its prices are just now starting to rise after coming down over the last 2-3 years. I'm not sure why your info is different but I don't believe it's correct.
UK had a price rise last year and another is expected in Mar so for anyone who bought before then, like me, good times! Even the PMs are making money.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:55 PM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Both brands are good, I would go for SS but if not then full gold, would not go for two tone but that's just me. I think it's great to have both brands, for the moment I have 2 of each and no other brand, getting another PP with the 5711 so as you see I love both brands more than others, you can't go wrong with either, though I would get a Jumbo and not a 15400, proportional it is better IMO, 41mm is great for chronos but not anfan for plain dials, 39mm is nicer visually for me. In the end get which you love, not just like, at these prices you should love the watch, so don't get one that you are not sure about
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote