The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 July 2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Very Proud of TRF Members

Just wanted to say how proud I am of my fellow TRF members who refuse to fall for the gimmick of identifying "what's wrong with this watch." I have read a number of posts where seeming neophytes attempt to discern the specifics of what constitutes fake attributes on a particular piece. Generally, they aren't satisfied with the group consensus of fakery, and insist on details. Fortunately, TRF members are wise to these efforts and refuse typically to specify the issues of "fakedom." This is great because it helps the TRF community avoid the perpetuation of fraud on unwary potential purchasers. So, just wanted to say "thanks" to all who won't take the bait, and also that it's a real privilege to be amongst such a principled bunch of WIS Rolex enthusiasts.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 03:32 PM   #2
RHJ
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
I'm not sure if not detailing the elements of a fake helps the buyers. More people understand what to look for less fakes can be sold.
Sure also a fake maker will learn, but to correct is an big effort and meanwhile always more people will be immune. Just my two cents
Old 13 July 2017, 05:07 PM   #3
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
I'm not sure if not detailing the elements of a fake helps the buyers. More people understand what to look for less fakes can be sold.
Sure also a fake maker will learn, but to correct is an big effort and meanwhile always more people will be immune. Just my two cents
I agree with OP.
Its not just the manufacturers of fakes, its better not to tell to much, but more importantly people who just want to sell on eBay.
They use our knowledge to tell if "their" piece may pass scrutiny.
If "yes" it goes on eBay and someone gets duped.
If we point out the "give-a-ways" they have the opportunity to try hiding that.

We are here to try to help people not get duped. A simple genuine or fake should do that.

Just my opinion
Adam
Old 14 July 2017, 03:29 PM   #4
rolehex

Agree OP!
rolehex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 08:35 AM   #5
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
Just wanted to say how proud I am of my fellow TRF members who refuse to fall for the gimmick of identifying "what's wrong with this watch." I have read a number of posts where seeming neophytes attempt to discern the specifics of what constitutes fake attributes on a particular piece. Generally, they aren't satisfied with the group consensus of fakery, and insist on details. Fortunately, TRF members are wise to these efforts and refuse typically to specify the issues of "fakedom." This is great because it helps the TRF community avoid the perpetuation of fraud on unwary potential purchasers. So, just wanted to say "thanks" to all who won't take the bait, and also that it's a real privilege to be amongst such a principled bunch of WIS Rolex enthusiasts.
Well said. Don't think that the counterfeiters don't look here to see how they can improve their product. It's usually the new members that always seem to want to "LEARN" how to tell if a watch is fake. I'm glad most of the regulars here are not that gullible.
Old 23 July 2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Agreed. Also, telling anyone why it's fake can be almost futile. They'll never stop asking specifics and they'll never really absorb any of it. I work with watches everyday, and the best way to identify a fake is to simply become familiar with the real ones. Study them. Simple as that. You won't need to ask anyone because you will know for yourself. If you don't want to put in the effort, I guess you can ask here, but a simple fake or not fake is all you should expect.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:28 PM   #7
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I can't believe that counterfeiters would need to consult TRF on how to produce a "better" product.

Anyone who can afford to produce watches in volume can surely afford to buy Rolex watches or at the very least inspect pictures of them.

I agree that those who want to believe that their watches are genuine are often unwilling to accept our opinions, but I really don't think that they are counterfeiters themselves.

I honestly don't believe that many counterfeiters even care about the details.

There are enough fools in the world to keep them in business.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 10:55 AM   #8
slipperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyphilpott View Post
i can't believe that counterfeiters would need to consult trf on how to produce a "better" product.

Anyone who can afford to produce watches in volume can surely afford to buy rolex watches or at the very least inspect pictures of them.

I agree that those who want to believe that their watches are genuine are often unwilling to accept our opinions, but i really don't think that they are counterfeiters themselves.

+100
slipperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it best not to indulge these people.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
agreed
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:28 PM   #11
Lvcat2004
"TRF" Member

Yet I agree with the intent of not divulging the details of what makes fake a fake in order not to help the scammers, I believe that those of us who are new to this sort of thing would like to know for the educational purpose.

What/where is a good resource for educating ourselves.
Lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 04:01 AM   #12
Trazor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I can't believe that counterfeiters would need to consult TRF on how to produce a "better" product.

Anyone who can afford to produce watches in volume can surely afford to buy Rolex watches or at the very least inspect pictures of them.

I agree that those who want to believe that their watches are genuine are often unwilling to accept our opinions, but I really don't think that they are counterfeiters themselves.

Spot on, any counterfeiters needing to consult TRF for information would be too stupid to produce quality fakes.
Trazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 04:07 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazor View Post
Spot on, any counterfeiters needing to consult TRF for information would be too stupid to produce quality fakes.
Well I am sure they do, BUT. more importantly here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...90&postcount=3

And why should we take even the smallest chance of possible helping a counterfeit SELLER "duping" someone.

KUDOS to TRF members, who do not need to list 15+ reasons why "they know its a fake"!
Old 25 July 2017, 04:07 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

TRF is just the litmus test for them Grady
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 04:18 AM   #15
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
TRF is just the litmus test for them Grady
I do agree that we don't need to divulge detailed info and indeed, I just give a simple opinion myself, but I still don't think the counterfeit trade at any level depends on TRF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote