The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2017, 09:33 PM   #31
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatch View Post
...And it's nice to have the 24 hour sundial - when you pick up the watch to set it, you know whether it is AM or PM, rather than having to experiment.
Experiment?
Exactly how hard or difficult is it to watch the day change to then know you’re in the PM/AM changeover?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:05 PM   #32
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Experiment?
Exactly how hard or difficult is it to watch the day change to then know you’re in the PM/AM changeover?
irs not only to set the time but if you locked in the attic you know if it's daytime or nighttime
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:47 PM   #33
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
irs not only to set the time but if you locked in the attic you know if it's daytime or nighttime

Haha! Or in Alaska when it's daylight all summer and dark all winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:39 AM   #34
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Experiment?

One also could pick up an iPhone to see the time, the date, the AM/PM indicator, etc. Many watches have "unnecessary functions", but collectively, they add to the allure of the craftsmanship, the R&D to create these little marvels that sit on our wrist, and the overall experience.
Old 28 June 2017, 12:51 AM   #35
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I used to have one. The noisy rotor drove me crazy so I got rid of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2232.jpg (38.8 KB, 330 views)
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:10 AM   #36
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
I used to have one. The noisy rotor drove me crazy so I got rid of it.

Haha. I actually swing my wrist up to my ear to hear it occasionally. Love it.

Old 28 June 2017, 01:39 AM   #37
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
One also could pick up an iPhone to see the time, the date, the AM/PM indicator, etc. Many watches have "unnecessary functions", but collectively, they add to the allure of the craftsmanship, the R&D to create these little marvels that sit on our wrist, and the overall experience.
Yes, but my bone of contention was (and still is) the placement of the day/night indicator is severely ill-thoughtout and flawed.
The function could’ve been far better aesthetically implemented if they’d opted for a simple indicator like on the 5320.
The day wheel is enough of a clue when the time is being set as to whether it’s am or pm, so the indicator is effectively redundant.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:36 AM   #38
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Yes, but my bone of contention was (and still is) the placement of the day/night indicator is severely ill-thoughtout and flawed.
The function could’ve been far better aesthetically implemented if they’d opted for a simple indicator like on the 5320.
The day wheel is enough of a clue when the time is being set as to whether it’s am or pm, so the indicator is effectively redundant.
The hands are in a continuous covering of the functions. It's a squeezed dial design
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:37 AM   #39
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
man the 5726 ...... Its a watch that I really love and probably the most practical of the nautilus line up in terms of complication usefulness. The case itself its very well proportioned sitting between the size of a 5711 and a 5990. Also the symmetry of the dial is very attractive. Its a fantastic piece my only thing is if its a first nautilus in a collection I would stick with a blue dial being the 5711/5712. After that I might jump into a white dial 5726
Old 28 June 2017, 03:35 AM   #40
Tony@KopiGau
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is a 24h conversion dial people can read 7pm as 1900 and 10.45pm as 22.45 etc, not just to tell day or night like the white/blue indicator.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk
Tony@KopiGau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 09:12 AM   #41
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

WHEN i get my first PP, it'll be the 5726.
i did consider the iconic 5711 blue should be the gateway PP, however i believe it would overlap too much with my AP jumbo.

also i prefer the symmetrical dial over the 5712.

and the silver/slate/black dial would be a very different look that would stand out as unique from the rest of the collection.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 09:22 PM   #42
de66
"TRF" Member

Take it

Imho its the best nautilus in the line up. Caveat: as I own one I do not have a neutral say anymore.

Its the best sized nautilus concerning thickness.
Its the most useful complication in the nautilus line up.
Its the most "neutral" color in the current nautilus line up.
The 24hr ring acts as a frame for the moonphase indication, highlighting this lovely feature (missing this accent on the white dial)

The 24hr indication isnt the most useful if you plan to wear your watch on a regular basis. If you will wear it more on dress or special occasions the 24hr indicator helps when quick setting time and date.

I also found the 5990 too thick, didnt like the "destroyed" case concept (changing the hinge to accomodate pushers), I found the dial layout less attractive and I found the dial having less of a brilliance to it.

Tue 5980 is ok, but I didnt have a need for a chrono and wasnt taken in by the chrono subdial.

The 5712 gets a lot of attention, particularly on this forum. I couldnt get to grips with the dial layout. I also didnt quite understand the need for a power reserve on what is otherwise a relatively simple watch, I guess they needed to offset the empty space left as a result of the movement.

The 5711 is a nice watch but Patek prides it self on its complications. Historically Patek was always the maker of complicated watches. As a first Patek my goal was to have a watch with more than just a date complication.

It is my first nautilus and ticks all the boxes. As mentioned before its also a lot more rare than the 5712 and 5711.
The white grabbed my attention, I chose slate because I fell I can wear it for the next several decades and it will never be out of fashion.
Blue dials are "hot" right now, so yes a blue dial will give almost any model a boost in popularity.

Either way, white or slate its a choice you wont regret.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (214.0 KB, 347 views)
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:40 PM   #43
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

I own the grey dial since 2013.
Likes = everything (mesmerizing dial, size/weight, functionality, top of the class bracelet)
Dislikes = cost of service when the time comes (as expected)

*Hope they stop making them soon to increase rarity factor
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:32 PM   #44
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
*Hope they stop making them soon to increase rarity factor
yes...but AFTER i get mine!!
Old 30 June 2017, 01:35 AM   #45
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
yes...but AFTER i get mine!!
Happy hunting...make sure to post pics once acquisition is made
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 12:38 AM   #46
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Imho its the best nautilus in the line up. Caveat: as I own one I do not have a neutral say anymore.

Its the best sized nautilus concerning thickness.
Its the most useful complication in the nautilus line up.
Its the most "neutral" color in the current nautilus line up.
The 24hr ring acts as a frame for the moonphase indication, highlighting this lovely feature (missing this accent on the white dial)

The 24hr indication isnt the most useful if you plan to wear your watch on a regular basis. If you will wear it more on dress or special occasions the 24hr indicator helps when quick setting time and date.

I also found the 5990 too thick, didnt like the "destroyed" case concept (changing the hinge to accomodate pushers), I found the dial layout less attractive and I found the dial having less of a brilliance to it.

Tue 5980 is ok, but I didnt have a need for a chrono and wasnt taken in by the chrono subdial.

The 5712 gets a lot of attention, particularly on this forum. I couldnt get to grips with the dial layout. I also didnt quite understand the need for a power reserve on what is otherwise a relatively simple watch, I guess they needed to offset the empty space left as a result of the movement.

The 5711 is a nice watch but Patek prides it self on its complications. Historically Patek was always the maker of complicated watches. As a first Patek my goal was to have a watch with more than just a date complication.

It is my first nautilus and ticks all the boxes. As mentioned before its also a lot more rare than the 5712 and 5711.
The white grabbed my attention, I chose slate because I fell I can wear it for the next several decades and it will never be out of fashion.
Blue dials are "hot" right now, so yes a blue dial will give almost any model a boost in popularity.

Either way, white or slate its a choice you wont regret.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision
Super response.

I chose 5726 over 5712 due to the symmetry and dial colour that's not the must have iconic precious blue dial. I loathe those that want a 5711 without knowing anything about it. Basically want it due to its demand. Or must have the blue dial because it's iconic, as opposed to because they prefer it. In my mind having the grey dial says I don't care about the iconic blue dial BS. I would chose black or grey anyway.
The slightly OCD 5726 trumps the schizo 5712 imho.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 02:14 AM   #47
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Pros:
Who doesn’t like an AC and moonphase?

Cons:
That stupid, ‘bloody' am/pm sub-dial crap which overlaps the central pinion of the main hands, and cut into by the date window and its surround.

And don’t get me started on the 5980’s chronograph either!
X2 ----And the 24hr is locked to the hr and min hands. It could have served as a GMT if Patek was smart. Idk why they didn't make them indepentant....makes no sense
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 05:05 AM   #48
Tay821
"TRF" Member

That white 5726 is sooo crisp. Really growing on me. What's the $$ on that one?
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 08:36 AM   #49
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
That white 5726 is sooo crisp. Really growing on me. What's the $$ on that one?

Retail:
44k for grey or white on bracelet.
39.5 for strap.

Old 20 July 2017, 03:33 AM   #50
Ci54
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sky Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
X2 ----And the 24hr is locked to the hr and min hands. It could have served as a GMT if Patek was smart. Idk why they didn't make them indepentant....makes no sense
X3!

I intend to get a 5726 in grey with bracelet to complete my small collection. The 5726 ticks all the boxes in my list of Patek complication. A perpetual calendar would be perfect, alas the price is way beyond me.

Hopefully the day will come soon..
Old 20 July 2017, 03:43 AM   #51
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ci54 View Post
X3!

I intend to get a 5726 in grey with bracelet to complete my small collection. The 5726 ticks all the boxes in my list of Patek complication. A perpetual calendar would be perfect, alas the price is way beyond me.

Hopefully the day will come soon..
X4...same POV here, and also looking out for one on bracelet (at right price!)
Old 20 July 2017, 04:57 AM   #52
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Amazing watch, sold mine because I chose strap and it was a mistake, I am more of a bracelet type, but the strap was at a great price, 28k euros unworn, and wasn't comfortable getting a watch for more than 30k at the time. 30k is my actual limit now, except for the special watch I am waiting for, getting it one day is not out of the question, would probably choose white.
About blue I have always loved bkue, in clothes, motorcycles, my Harley is blue, and mynfirst blue watch, an Omega SM300 was blue, before blue watches were trendy
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:19 AM   #53
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
I too wish it was a GMT dial but I believe this was an intentional decision made to prevent damaging the movement while setting the calendar. Per the manual:

"You can be sure that performing adjustments is
safe if you first set your watch to 6 a.m.; observe
the 24-hour dial to distinguish between 6 a.m. and
6 p.m."
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 10:26 AM   #54
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
This is currently my fav Patek... it's getting the most wrist time! Early days... honey moon

Old 21 July 2017, 12:56 PM   #55
wisguy
"TRF" Member

It's my favorite Nautilus!