The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2017, 12:57 PM   #1591
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayrr View Post
Very nice! Those looks to be the longwing version of mine; love 'em. Excellent taste!

Speaking of longwings... I literally just found two pairs of my grandfather's Florsheims. A pair of Color 4 Shells and a pair of black calf skins, both longwing Royal Imperial models. Spent a day restoring them. And, in pure serendipity, they fit! Talk about a find!! The Shells are from 57 and the black leathers are from 58, but both now look new, especially the Shells; can't tell the 60 year old pair from my 1-2 year old Alden's.

Awesome!

Out of curiosity, how do you know that they're color 4? I believe color 4 is unique to Horween. Although Horween is one of the last, if not the last cordovan producer in the USA, I'd have to imagine that there were many more in the 50s. If these really are color 4, does it mean that Florsheim used Horween leather? Just curious...

I'd love to see some shots in direct sunlight.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 02:05 AM   #1592
bassplayrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 3570.50
How many of you are into shoes... (Dress Shoes)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Awesome!

Out of curiosity, how do you know that they're color 4? I believe color 4 is unique to Horween. Although Horween is one of the last, if not the last cordovan producer in the USA, I'd have to imagine that there were many more in the 50s. If these really are color 4, does it mean that Florsheim used Horween leather? Just curious...

I'd love to see some shots in direct sunlight.

Excellent question. When I first found them I assumed they were Color 8 as they looked so dark indoors. Doing some research, however, they're model 93605 which was listed by Florsheim in their catalogs as "brown" while they called out Color 8 on other models where appropriate. Vcleat.com has done a great job in documenting the model and according to their sources, they're truly Color 4 from Horween. Out in the sun, they're much more red than my Alden Horween Color 8s.

http://vcleat.com/florsheim-imperial-93605-ebay-guide/

And I may need to correct the years. I know the shells were made in a year ending in 7 and the black bluchers in a year ending in 8 based on the markings in the shoes. My mom (these were her dad's) thought they were from around when she was born, which is why I assumed 50s. However, based on Vcleat's research, the 93605 model number didn't really start until 58. So they're likely a decade newer. Still, a fun find.
Old 5 July 2017, 10:42 AM   #1593
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancooker View Post
So long before my watch addiction, I was into shoes. I have quite a collection and are wondering how many other forum members are into shoes?

Most of my shoes I have stripped, recolored and added a patina to. A few pairs were beautiful enough from the factory that I kept them stock.

I also decided a year or so ago that I needed a shoe specific closet inside my front door. It's deep enough for a large shoe and holds 18+ pairs.

So here are some pics to get this thread started...

Louis Vuitton Derby

Santoni

Magnani before color

Magnani after coloring/patina

Allen Edmonds with a proper shine

J Fitzpatrick the day they arrived from England

A different pair of Magnani after coloring and patina (first pair I ever did)

Scarpe di Bianco

A third pair of Magnani recolored/patina

Bontoni

Riccardo Bestetti (one of the most amazing shoes ever made) Also my Holy Grail of shoes!

The shoe closet I built...

Yes, that is an Oakley display case behind me... Sunglasses are an addiction too. Collecting for 25+ years...

Yep, before Rolex I was into shoes and still is.
Cheaney Bexhill Brogue
Cheaney Chelsea Boots Brogue
Prince Jorge by Markowski Jodphur
Prince Jorge by Markowski Double Monk
Prince Jorge Loafer
Bristol Double Monk
RM Williams Craftsman --soon

I like Oakleys too, T-Wire Oval and Square, Whisker
Ray-Ban aviators, Wayfarer, Clubmaster, Balorama, Round Classic and others
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 12:29 PM   #1594
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent question. When I first found them I assumed they were Color 8 as they looked so dark indoors. Doing some research, however, they're model 93605 which was listed by Florsheim in their catalogs as "brown" while they called out Color 8 on other models where appropriate. Vcleat.com has done a great job in documenting the model and according to their sources, they're truly Color 4 from Horween. Out in the sun, they're much more red than my Alden Horween Color 8s.

And I may need to correct the years. I know the shells were made in a year ending in 7 and the black bluchers in a year ending in 8 based on the markings in the shoes. My mom (these were her dad's) thought they were from around when she was born, which is why I assumed 50s. However, based on Vcleat's research, the 93605 model number didn't really start until 58. So they're likely a decade newer. Still, a fun find.
Very interesting!

Based on your picture, the color looks like the old Color 8 (much lighter than the current color 8). The color 4 that I have seen is lighter and much more red. It could just be your picture or maybe the shoes have year of old wax/polish/bloom build up or maybe the color has changed through the years or MAYBE a combination of all three. In any case, they look pretty stellar.

The shoes are probably in need of some hydration, but other than that, I'd just give them a brushing and start wearing them!
Old 16 July 2017, 11:55 PM   #1595
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Quote:
Thank you! Every man should own at least one pair of Shell Cordovans in their life. :)
Totally agree. And as well as they are made, one pair is really all you would need. I've got two pair of Aldens, one black and one No. 8. Here's the black with my ceramic sub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7240.JPG (250.7 KB, 230 views)
Old 17 July 2017, 01:19 AM   #1596
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Out in the sun, they're much more red than my Alden Horween Color 8s.

Beautiful - a great find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Totally agree. And as well as they are made, one pair is really all you would need. I've got two pair of Aldens, one black and one No. 8. Here's the black with my ceramic sub.
Very nice!
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 01:22 AM   #1597
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Assorted Alden longwings in suede:
Old 17 July 2017, 01:50 AM   #1598
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post
Assorted Alden longwings in suede:

Very nice!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:27 AM   #1599
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Dan, what do you think about Westons?
Old 17 July 2017, 05:57 AM   #1600
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dan, what do you think about Westons?
Sorry Wes, but I think I might vaguely remember hearing or seeing that name but definitely not enough to speak about them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 July 2017, 10:08 AM   #1601
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Sorry Wes, but I think I might vaguely remember hearing or seeing that name but definitely not enough to speak about them.
JM Weston is a French company. They've been around for a long time, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Not a whole lot on SF. The information that's out there is pretty conflicting, too. I've read that it's a solid mid tier company, but I've also read that the quality is better than EG and JL!! I don't know what to believe.

I will be visiting NYC in November and I know they have a boutique there so I'll have to stop in and have a look. They have some very unique styles that I like.
Old 17 July 2017, 10:17 AM   #1602
homerish
"TRF" Member

I have a few jm westons they cost 500-1000+ USD, really comfortable and mostly known in France
homerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:31 AM   #1603
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
JM Weston is a French company. They've been around for a long time, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Not a whole lot on SF. The information that's out there is pretty conflicting, too. I've read that it's a solid mid tier company, but I've also read that the quality is better than EG and JL!! I don't know what to believe.

I will be visiting NYC in November and I know they have a boutique there so I'll have to stop in and have a look. They have some very unique styles that I like.
Hard to believe that the price point quoted by the person above would indicate they are better or equal to Edward Green or John Lobb. I have seen some hit above their weight class at times and Carmina before their price increase almost four years ago is one. But then again they were still mid tier at a lower cost but often better than Alden at a higher cost. Of course I think to a large degree it was Country of origin and the fact you could get them for even less from Skoaktiebolaget. Heck I got the majority of my EGs and G&Gs for much less from Skoaktiebolaget. Unfortunately the other retailers fixed that once the word got out in a major way, I mean Skoaktiebolaget was the place to get great shoes at an extremely reasonable rate at one point, it all had to do with the exchange rate and the fact E.G. and the other brands didn't regulate prices like they do now.

Anyway there are a number of shoemakers that have never really picked up a following on Styleforum so I would be very interested what you think when you get a chance to look at them. Have you by chance looked at the Parisian Gentleman Shoemaker article for this year to see what they say? Generally their comments are fairly positive for any brand included but it can give you some idea as to what to expect.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 July 2017, 01:06 PM   #1604
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
Came across this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZY...&feature=share
Old 21 July 2017, 12:01 AM   #1605
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerish View Post
I have a few jm westons they cost 500-1000+ USD, really comfortable and mostly known in France
Yes, I think Westons are most popular in France, but they also seem to be very popular in Japan. No surprise there since the Japanese love French everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Hard to believe that the price point quoted by the person above would indicate they are better or equal to Edward Green or John Lobb. I have seen some hit above their weight class at times and Carmina before their price increase almost four years ago is one. But then again they were still mid tier at a lower cost but often better than Alden at a higher cost. Of course I think to a large degree it was Country of origin and the fact you could get them for even less from Skoaktiebolaget. Heck I got the majority of my EGs and G&Gs for much less from Skoaktiebolaget. Unfortunately the other retailers fixed that once the word got out in a major way, I mean Skoaktiebolaget was the place to get great shoes at an extremely reasonable rate at one point, it all had to do with the exchange rate and the fact E.G. and the other brands didn't regulate prices like they do now.

Anyway there are a number of shoemakers that have never really picked up a following on Styleforum so I would be very interested what you think when you get a chance to look at them. Have you by chance looked at the Parisian Gentleman Shoemaker article for this year to see what they say? Generally their comments are fairly positive for any brand included but it can give you some idea as to what to expect.
I've been doing some more reading and I think I have some clarification.

As mentioned above, most Westons are in the $500-1000 range, but the specific model that I think was compared to EG and JL is the Hunt Derby. These shoes are completely handmade with a Norwegian welt, triple leather soles and a Russian grained leather (I don't think it's the actual Russian reindeer leather, though. Maybe something similar to what C&J does.). These shoes are $2000+.

Also, is it too late for me to go back to the $80 Cole Haan outlet shoes that I used to wear? This shoe hobby is getting too expensive. LOL!!!
Old 21 July 2017, 12:35 AM   #1606
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I think Westons are most popular in France, but they also seem to be very popular in Japan. No surprise there since the Japanese love French everything.

I've been doing some more reading and I think I have some clarification.

As mentioned above, most Westons are in the $500-1000 range, but the specific model that I think was compared to EG and JL is the Hunt Derby. These shoes are completely handmade with a Norwegian welt, triple leather soles and a Russian grained leather (I don't think it's the actual Russian reindeer leather, though. Maybe something similar to what C&J does.). These shoes are $2000+.

Also, is it too late for me to go back to the $80 Cole Haan outlet shoes that I used to wear? This shoe hobby is getting too expensive. LOL!!!
Ah, Ok. I still think if I were to pay $2000 plus in most cases I would generally go with JL or Edward Green over Weston.

Yeah, I think it's a bit hard going backwards. Good thing for me I've kind of got most things covered at this point and a few extra.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2017, 04:56 AM   #1607
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

What is everybody wearing today?
Old 27 July 2017, 05:02 AM   #1608
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What is everybody wearing today?
Very nice LW's!
Old 27 July 2017, 05:16 AM   #1609
Jaypee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, BLNR, IWC
Love my CJ's, Aldens and Edward Greens, but can never surpass my RMW's
Jaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 12:34 PM   #1610
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wes those are great LW's. Alden's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 12:43 PM   #1611
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice LW's!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee View Post
Love my CJ's, Aldens and Edward Greens, but can never surpass my RMW's
I was on the RMW site the other night. They make some great looking boots. Tempting for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Wes those are great LW's. Alden's?

Yes sir
Old 27 July 2017, 12:50 PM   #1612
swils8610

They are outstanding. Are the whiskey or ravello?

Old 27 July 2017, 01:05 PM   #1613
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
They are outstanding. Are the whiskey or ravello?

Ravello. I had the chance to buy a pair in whiskey. I am still kicking myself for not buying them, but I could hear Dan in my head "No more shell, no more shell"
Old 27 July 2017, 01:30 PM   #1614
swils8610

Lol. I was lucky to get a pair in whiskey. Never can have to much shell!! I mostly have #8.

Old 27 July 2017, 02:53 PM   #1615
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ravello. I had the chance to buy a pair in whiskey. I am still kicking myself for not buying them, but I could hear Dan in my head "No more shell, no more shell"
Very nice Wes!!

Think calf, think calf, think calf......

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2017, 11:25 PM   #1616
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dan usually has good advice - but, not this time!
Old 28 July 2017, 06:04 PM   #1617
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dan usually has good advice - but, not this time!
Actually I have a good bit of Cordovan in the collection. I just find that for me cordovan only goes so far.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 July 2017, 01:20 AM   #1618
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:

I've been to their store quite a few times. I think they make a fantastic product although I haven't purchased anything from them. I put their quality with any top brand I've seen. What I find appealing is some of their shoes are a little more modern. just little things that I like. I'm sure theres a better word for it but it escapes me.

Are they better that EG or JL? I'd say no only because I believe they are all comparable products. Like almost all consumer goods, at some tier, it becomes futile to argue whether one top brand is better than another.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 01:30 AM   #1619
belk7
"TRF" Member

Haven't bought anything new in a few months, but just received an MTO from G&G. London boot in Navy calf. Photo doesn't do good job of representing color. Very nice, deep navy with grey lining. Went with my preferred MH71 last. I am quite pleased with how these turned out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:28 AM   #1620
homerish
"TRF" Member

Dark blue Weston and my DJ 41
homerish is offline   Reply With Quote