The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 February 2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Mrsammy72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Rolex or ball?

Any thoughts? Like the looks of both brands. Any pros or cons?
Thanks.
Old 11 February 2014, 05:15 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Rolex of course, it's not even a match.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 05:21 AM   #3
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I think both offer nice watches but speaking for myself I prefer the Rolex style to the Ball. It's really a matter of tastes though.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 05:35 AM   #4
salty_snack

Rolex and Ball aren't even in the same category. Rolex is superior in most every way.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 05:36 AM   #5
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Rolex

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 06:39 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I don't think its fair to compare Ball to Rolex. They are not in the same price segment. You have buy at least 2 Balls(!) with the price of a Rolex.

Ball make nice tough watches that uses widely available Swiss movement, and they have tritium tubes for night time reading of the time.

I think they have great finish and solid construction. I like them for what they are.

Besides price, Rolex is better is almost every possible way.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 07:02 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_snack View Post
Rolex and Ball aren't even in the same category. Rolex is superior in most every way.
No, actually that's not the case. Luminosity for example favors the Ball watch. No luminova watch is going to best GLS tubes over the long haul. That ball also lumes the bezel is an advantage for those needing the capability.

There are those that feel the ball bracelet is more robust (though in my view not as versatile)

Ball uses two screws per side to afix the bracelet.

Rolex is perhaps the most iconic brand out there (with good reason), but blanket statements serve no purpose

While the in-house 3135 is built to absorb a huge amount of punishment don't negate the eta movements used by Ball and others. There's a reason thery're used in brands more expensive than either R or B.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Define superior in regards to your statement. I've owned 3 Ball watches and 4 from Rolex. As an average, the Ball models were more consistent with their time keeping. The only thing superior is the brand recognition. The in-house movement is a nice touch for watch nerds like us but that doesn't make it any more capable of keeping good time. Dollar for dollar, Ball is one of the best options out there.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 07:19 AM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Define superior in regards to your statement. I've owned 3 Ball watches and 4 from Rolex. As an average, the Ball models were more consistent with their time keeping. The only thing superior is the brand recognition. The in-house movement is a nice touch for watch nerds like us but that doesn't make it any more capable of keeping good time. Dollar for dollar, Ball is one of the best options out there.
Amen to that.

Name another brand that gives you option of locking the movement to negate shocks.

Old 11 February 2014, 07:22 AM   #10
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
theres no point in taking a knife to a gun fight.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Mrsammy72
"TRF" Member

I don't understand the compass markings on the bezel.
Old 11 February 2014, 07:31 AM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsammy72 View Post
A little research. The Orbital was designed with the imput of Brian Binne (a test pilot who went into space) as a navigation tool. Certainly any watch with hands can be used as a compass, but Ball wanted to carry it to extremes.

The bezel is bi-directional as with most GMTs.
Old 11 February 2014, 07:33 AM   #13
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsammy72 View Post
i dont understand why the min hands nearly invisible , or why it takes so much to protect the crown and yet the chrono pushers look very normal ,, gonna have to go and google this one now ,,, they look huge though , sort of more fashion than function ,, but i could well be very wrong ,, google here i come.
Old 11 February 2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Mrsammy72
"TRF" Member

Oh gotcha. I know how to use a watch as compass just never seen that before. Not a bad idea
Old 11 February 2014, 07:40 AM   #15
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
i dont understand why the min hands nearly invisible , or why it takes so much to protect the crown and yet the chrono pushers look very normal ,, gonna have to go and google this one now ,,, they look huge though , sort of more fashion than function ,, but i could well be very wrong ,, google here i come.
Yeah it's a biggie. 45mm by 18mm thick. To me it's more of a job specific piece. Mine keeps excellent time and is rugged as it can be, but it is big.
Old 11 February 2014, 07:44 AM   #16
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Yeah it's a biggie. 45mm by 18mm thick. To me it's more of a job specific piece. Mine keeps excellent time and is rugged as it can be, but it is big.
its one of the few things ive ever seen that looks like it could break tonka toys ,,, ill bet it gets noticed though ,,, the simple divers version has something mind ,, it really does look the part , mind you if we all cared about accuracy , we would all be wearing quartz.
Old 11 February 2014, 07:54 AM   #17
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
its one of the few things ive ever seen that looks like it could break tonka toys ,,, ill bet it gets noticed though ,,, the simple divers version has something mind ,, it really does look the part , mind you if we all cared about accuracy , we would all be wearing quartz.
Yep. As an only watch the Orbital is a lot on the wrist. The Spacemaster diver versions are, to me, much better daily watches. Bout 13mm thick by 42mm and 300meter ratings. They're at home everywhere.
Old 11 February 2014, 02:27 PM   #18
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Rolex is perhaps the most iconic brand out there (with good reason), but blanket statements serve no purpose
Unfortunately, Mike, blanket statements and insults are his bread and butter:

Quote:
It was carried over from Heuer and took the name of aqua racer. Unfortunately, as with most things Tag put out, it was stripped down and cheapened up. Today the current model shares very little with the original unlike the sub or seamaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEZ7ch View Post
Well.......

Couldn't resist! its beauty is just marvellous so I got the WAP2011, should be here in a few days.
Will post photos soon ;)

Cheers all!
Quote:
I guess we all make mistakes...
Quote:
I enjoy a good speedmaster as much as the next guy and appreciate you putting together a collection but for the money you've blown on modern, nothing special watches lately you could have some amazing vintage pieces that are actually rare and will only become rarer as well as horologically significant.

But to each their own.
Quote:
If rolex leadership was as stupid as omega's then I'm sure it would be in the works or have already happened.

It won't happen and what's more is it doesn't need to happen.
Quote:
Based on your consideration of "historical facts, origination, movement and of course value" between the Submariner, Seamaster, and aqua racer how did you come to the selection of an aqua racer?
Quote:
You'd be crazy to do what your thinking. The Good Planet is just a PO with some blue and orange paint on it. I agree it is a very good looking watch but it's still an omega...
Quote:
GERMAN MADE... SWISS MOVEMENT... are you seriously still on this????? Its just a cheap sub "homage" (read knockoff) from a company with no redeeming qualities.
Quote:
The speedmaster 9300 is a joke... not worthy of having the speedmaster heritage IMHO.
Quote:
Well breitling makes a lot of nondescript and unattractive watches similar to the overly flamboyant stuff you'll find at a discount mall. The in-house movements are nice but that's the only redeaming quality.
Quote:
That salesman is an idiot. Maybe he should be wearing a breitling. It seems to be about the caliber of person he is.
Quote:
Agreed. I'm kind of lost here as to why you stopped off at a tag cal. 5 when you plan to get a gmt in a few months. These two watches don't belong on the same wrist IMO.

etc...
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 02:43 PM   #19
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
imagine a ball with rolex movement.......hhhmmmmmm,(scratching chin)

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 03:16 PM   #20
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I do like my Ball Fireman II and I agree with Mike on most points.
But:
I was using my Fireman as 'clock' at night as the Tritium gas tubes were really bright.
I had to wind it every day to be sure it kept ticking.
One day after about 12 months it failed me. The auto winder rotor was turning when winding the crown.
I sent it in to Ball's distributor in Sydney for repair and was told by the 'Ball' watchmaker that the every day manual winding had worn our parts of the ETA movement and that the auto winding ETA movements did not stand up to everyday manual winding - go figure.
So I put the Ball back in the box and only wear it when I feel like it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 03:17 PM   #21
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Unfortunately, Mike, blanket statements and insults are his bread and butter

Oh improviz... are you still bitter from our discussion about the service length of the Co-axial movement???

Just FYI, I did email Omega and called their service center while waiting for the response as well as stopped into one of my local ADs last weekend and asked about the service length.

Guess what... 4 to 5 years if you wear it every day, up to 7 if you don't... just many other movements out there from most high-end manufactures.

But that's another thread for another day.

Back to the OP, to clarify my previous statement. Ball and Rolex are not in the same category. You can easily find Balls for 1/3 the price of a SS Rolex and I'm haven't seen any balls made from precious metals. They are an American company but claim to use swiss movements in many if not all of their watches. However, if memory serves they do not claim they are "Swiss made".

As others have pointed out, some of their models have tritium tubes on the dial which will glow for the better part of a decade. Fit and finish, the quality of the bracelet and clasp is nowhere near Rolex quality (of course neither is the price) and as previously mentioned the movement is not in house.

My experience, however, has been mostly with the dress/casual Ball watches and not the absolutely mammoth tool watches they make.
Old 11 February 2014, 04:21 PM   #22
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh improviz... are you still bitter from our discussion about the service length of the Co-axial movement???
Why would I be bitter? You're the one that got hit with the ban stick.

No, I just took a look through your post history after that, and noticed that you seem to spend a great deal of your time insulting others by insulting their choices in watches, brands they own, etc., and thought that this was an opportune time to bring this unfortunate habit of yours to the moderators' attention.

Quote:
Just FYI, I did email Omega and called their service center while waiting for the response as well as stopped into one of my local ADs last weekend and asked about the service length.

Guess what... 4 to 5 years if you wear it every day, up to 7 if you don't... just many other movements out there from most high-end manufactures.

But that's another thread for another day.
Sure you did...by all means, feel free to post that email up in the Omega forum where it belongs, with the name of the contact person from Omega of course, and in the meantime I will leave you to continue there (as here) your little campaign against all brands not Rolex, whatever makes you feel good about yourself...personally, I try to remember the golden rule, and not bash other brands or people's choices in watches, or other watch brands' supposed lack of "quality", as I don't need to engage in this sort of thing to feel good about myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Back to the OP, to clarify my previous statement. Ball and Rolex are not in the same category. You can easily find Balls for 1/3 the price of a SS Rolex and I'm haven't seen any balls made from precious metals. They are an American company but claim to use swiss movements in many if not all of their watches. However, if memory serves they do not claim they are "Swiss made".
Actually they do make watches in precious metal (18K), and they do claim their watches are Swiss made (their watches state "Swiss Made" on the dial, as can be seen by looking at Mike's fine example above), presumably because they are; they list address of their headquarters as:
International Headquarters:

Ball Watch Company S.A.
Rue du Châtelot 21
2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Switzerland
Tel: +41-32-724-5300
Fax: +41-32-724-5301

(just in case you want to contact them for anything)
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 11 February 2014, 04:30 PM   #23
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Why would I be bitter? You're the one that got hit with the ban stick.

No, I just took a look through your post history after that, and noticed that you seem to spend a great deal of your time insulting others by insulting their choices in watches, brands they own, etc., and thought that this was an opportune time to bring this unfortunate habit of yours to the moderators' attention.

Sure you did...by all means, feel free to post that email up in the Omega forum where it belongs, with the name of the contact person from Omega of course, and in the meantime I will leave you to continue there (as here) your little campaign against all brands not Rolex, whatever makes you feel good about yourself...personally, I try to remember the golden rule, and not bash other brands or people's choices in watches, or other watch brands' supposed lack of "quality", as I don't need to engage in this sort of thing to feel good about myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Improviz...

If you have an axe to grind with me go ahead and pm me instead of hijacking threads to carry on your personal vendetta.
Old 11 February 2014, 04:36 PM   #24
improviz
"TRF" Member

I have nothing further to say to you and will refrain from any more non Ball-related posts in this thread. No vendetta, just dislike the constant insults against other brands and their owners as I quoted from your posts above and wanted to show the history of it.
Old 11 February 2014, 04:57 PM   #25
El118
"TRF" Member

Forget Ball.

If price is of concern, go for preown Rolex anytime over Ball.
El118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 12:40 AM   #26
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderl712000 View Post
imagine a ball with rolex movement.......hhhmmmmmm,(scratching chin)
You know in some sense you may get your wish.

It's been widely reported that Philippe Antille was brought onto the Ball team a few years ago to upgrade the Hydorcarbon line and develop an inhouse movement fro Ball.

Reports indicate this movement (a three hand as of now) is in the testing stage and Ball is making sure all is well before a roll out.

For those that may not know Mr. Antille was with Rolex for about 18 years where he spent five years on the Daytona movement design team.

As of now he holds some 30 patients including Ball's newly designed springlock design and the HE vlave in the crown of the Hydrocarbon NEDU (an industry first).

It will be interesting to see what come down the pike in time, but it seems Ball is trying to carve their own niche.

By the way.....I've hit the limit on what is going to be tolerated in the or any other thread. I'll end it for some permenantely.
Old 12 February 2014, 07:52 AM   #27
bigflax925
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
Never bonded with the Ball. I'm not a fan of the tubes and can't get past that.

To me, they aren't even in the same league.
bigflax925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 09:50 AM   #28
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Rolex by a landslide
Urosfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 10:11 AM   #29
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
It really depends on what you want out of a watch. I've owned both and each has their strengths and weaknesses.
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 10:13 AM   #30
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

For me, I'll stick to my own two balls...and Rolex.