The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 June 2017, 07:54 AM   #1
NickGC
"TRF" Member

What is Your Collection Focus?

Hey guys.

I find other peoples collection intriguing and like to see what people look for in a watch or what they're drawn to.

Theres the typical collection that check boxes of "i got my dress watch, i got my dive watch, a chronograph and my daily beater" etc... thats all fine, but I think a collection with a very specific focus is pretty cool. Whether its rolex, or solid gold watches, chronographs, ussr watches or even Elgins. Doesn't have to be a collection of rare special pieces. Like i said. Someone who just digs cheap elgins or ussr watches. Thats super cool.

I currently dont have what id call a "collection" so I thought itd be cool to hear from a you guys.

Whats your focus!

Thanks.
NickGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 08:43 AM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Don't have much of a "collection" but mainly Tudor. Like the history and the value they represent. Outside of that I just. It what I think is cool. So I have a FOIS Speedmaster, a Oris Carl Brasher bronze, a couple Archimede pilot/chronos etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 09:19 AM   #3
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I only have a small collection so I want each watch to be pretty versatile

At the moment my main focus is having a different design/style of watch, secondary is complication.

So I have a chronograph now with 2nd timezone(Piaget polo 45) along with a diver (TT bluesey), the next one i'm planning on a world time - ie. JLC Master geographic in white face.

So then I'll have 3 different dial colour watches (black, blue, white), 3 different complications
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 09:21 AM   #4
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Trace? Like we don't know yours!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 07:12 PM   #5
rolehex

Daily, Dress, Diver, Chrono, Gmt. With differing colors and a variety of brands.
rolehex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 07:28 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Dive, drive, fly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3781.jpg (157.6 KB, 710 views)

Last edited by rootbeer7; 4 June 2017 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Image
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 08:27 PM   #7
meganfox17
Banned

Non Rolex : Only Limited Editions or discontinued models
Rolex ? : I'll show you guys later.....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 09:33 PM   #8
KarlS
Banned

cover all complications (AC, PC, GMT, World Time, Chrono, PR)
cover the metals (SS, RG, WG, Pl)
Biase towards WT / GMT
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 09:37 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have a tendency to try different watches and brands as I have always wanted to own several different watches and see what works. The Rolex Submariner has been the cornerstone of my watch obsession for years and at one time I owned a YG Sub, a Sub ND, a Hulk and a DSSD. Now I just have a Hulk but of all of my favorite all time watches the Sub holds sway. I have owned Omega, JLC and Panerai in the past and liked them but don't have any now. I discovered Tudor, which to me is like saying I discovered Rolex but love the brand and the value. I currently own five Tudors. I have also purchased two Tag Heuers in the last bit and have been impressed. My thought is to have fun. Enjoy the watches. Buy what you want and can afford.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 09:39 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
My collection focus is simple, Genta orientated, all my watches are either genta designs, 5711, 5712, 15300 or inspired, AP ce diver and 5167R. For me value retention is very important if I put more than 5-10K into something, so the only one on which I could loose on the price I paid is the 5167R should I decide to sell, got a good price on all, but used I should loose 1K on it, and I love the Genta designs, reminds me of the 70's, which were my childhood years. Also like different materials, ok I have 3 SS pieces, but have RG, CE and am getting WG with the Voutilainen coming in, only need a PT watch to finish my material quest...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 09:47 PM   #11
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
My collection focus would best be described as random. I like what I like and I am always looking for a great deal. Sometimes, it's more about the deal than the watch itself. I primarily wear my 15003, but the stories behind watches such as my 1955 Bulova Sea King make collecting fun.

The Rolex is clearly the flagship of the collection, but I have a weakness for Seikos. Yeah, the humble Seiko. Being quite affordable, I can usually find pre-owned ones for next to nothing.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 06:14 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
My current collection consists of just 2 watches right now.
1. Omega Seamaster 300M blue with the wavy dial. This is my casual, weekend, wear to the pool, beater watch.
2. AP RO 15400 silver dial which I purchased in March of this year. This is my Mon-Thurs work watch.

My next watch I'm eyeing which may take 2-3 years for me to get is either a FP Journe Octa Automatique Reserve or Laurent Ferrier Galet World Traveler. I want to get something on a strap from a small independent and I really like those 2 watches. Of course 2-3 years is a long ways off and I could change my mind and get a PP Aquanaut, AP 15202, or something like that.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 09:12 AM   #13
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Whatever catches my eye really. Generally though I will grab Rolex / Other Brand / Rolex / Other brand ect..
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 09:19 AM   #14
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
Mostly divers and diver/gmt's. But there is still a fair amount of other stuff. I've been through a few phases.
Old 5 June 2017, 10:00 AM   #15
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

In almost 20 years of buying and selling I've not once thought about a theme or direction of my "collection". What I see when I step back is really just variety, but I guess the consistent theme if any would be good design or classic design (usually generally accepted by the wider group/market rather than simply my perception of good design).

I do have different metals (steel, rose, platinum but no white gold yet although looking for one), vintage and modern, some compilations (perpetual, chronos, gmt, world time is now gone), novelties (jump hour/minutes) and most importantly for me a very broad range (g-shock and swatch to Seiko Quartz and mechanical to the mid tier (in price not quality) guys like Nomos and Grand Seiko to the Richemont brands, Omega, Rolex, and finally to the independents).
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 10:38 AM   #16
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Icons

So AP RO, Lange 1, JLC Reverso, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Rolex GMT, etc.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 10:49 AM   #17
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
So AP RO, Lange 1, JLC Reverso, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Rolex GMT, etc.
Pretty much, except Dato instead of L1! For many brands of course there are more than one classic design but the GMT/Sub or the Speedie or the Royal Oak are the perfect examples of what I was referring to.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 07:23 AM   #18
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Predominantly Fliegers (Laco, IWC, Stowa, Archimede) and non-date watches (Sub 14060m PAM 000), non date chronos (Omega Speedmaster Pro, Guinand Flying Officer). 4 Sinns

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 08:32 PM   #19
osamu
"TRF" Member

don't have much of a collection, but I would like to have a wide variety of watches, from both many different manufacturers, as well as styles. I'm not THAT into complications, but it would be nice someday to have like at least a diver, GMT, and a chronograph.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 11:37 PM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Watches that I like to own and wear
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 12:38 AM   #21
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Value.
Rolex and Patek.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 01:31 AM   #22
teb1013
"TRF" Member

I want matches that are distinct from each other. Tudor Black Bay, Rolex DJ, Grand Seiko quartz. I also don't want watches with complications that I won't use. I could use a GMT and my next, when I can afford it, will probably be a Rolex Explorer II (would rather have a BLNR, but don't expect one to be in my price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 01:44 AM   #23
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Watches that I like to own and wear

+1

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:31 AM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

No focus, there's a lot I like, just not a lot I can afford.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:19 PM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I love iconic watches that are reissues. I never realized that I am amassing such collection until I did a reflection of why I bought the watches.

Other people would prefer buying the original iconic watches and would enjoy the hunt with stories to share.

On my end I dislike the various risks involved in buying an old iconic watch. I prefer waiting for reissues. It may not be the real deal but something close to it and new, yes I prefer them.

Some iconic watches that have reissues are: Grand Seiko 3180, AP 1972 Jumbo, Rolex Daytona Zenith, etc. I hope to collect these and many more of those iconic watches in the future.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 11:01 AM   #26
watchthisway
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
somewhat unintentionally i think i've re-focused my collection around tool watches. divers, aviators, gmts, chronographs. of the vintage and transitional variety.

i used to be focused more on rare, but i think now i'm more focused on brand icons over rarity.
watchthisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 12:01 PM   #27
vivian
"TRF" Member

Patek, AP, Rolex and Richard Mille. That's my entire collection of 16.
vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 10:00 PM   #28
Northcap
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
The more I learn the more focused my collection becomes.

Currently I collect tool/sport watches from the historic Swiss houses. I prefer 3 hand, date watches. I do not like complications such as chrono functions, but do own a BLNR which of course has a 4th hand complication.

On my radar: AP 15400 blue dial; VC Overseas, in house movement, blue dial.
Northcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 04:49 AM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Oh I forgot but also not to have too many, now have 5, but one is unworn in the bank, a 15300 blue dial so 4 that I rotate is quite good for me, when I had 10 I didn't like the fact that I wore the same 3-4 all the time and didn't wear the others, now I love all the ones I have and have a regular rotation, I thought the more watches I would have the happier I would be, but on the contrary, I am waiting for another watch, my masterpiece, a unique piece Voutilainen, but that will not be in the usual rotation, just for special occasions, I can't see myself selling any of my actual watches, but in a few years maybe I will sell 2 and buy a special piece, maybe an RM or the new AP ceramic RO PC, though don't really care for the PC complication, and the price, if they made a simple time and date RO, a 15202 for example, in full ceramic I would have to get one now without selling anything, even if it would be priced a little more than the RG 15202, unfortunately at 85k the CE RO is a little above what I am willing to put in watches seeing my current level of watch ownership...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:32 PM   #30
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
My focus has a few factors. I like watches that are iconic, have a military/explorer focus, and are sport inspired (classic sport, not all will agree with me). Also, they must have a significant place in history. Finally, I do not like pure dress watches. That being said, my collection below.

Sub (no date pre ceramic) - Obvious sport application/iconic. Purest DNA to the original, IMO.

DJ 16014 - Oysters are sport watches, in my eyes. Iconic model.

Ex II Polar 5 digit - Sport/ adventure genre.

Explorer 5 digit (36mm version) - Sport/adventure and iconic.

Speedmaster Pro - Acrylic crystal w/manual wind. Military inspired. Purest version to the original.

Reverso Duo Date - Technically a sports watch, though not in the modern sense. Iconic, historic with a military heritage.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote