The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 June 2017, 05:33 AM   #31
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

This is exactly my concern and what I'm leaning towards what happened....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Hate to say it but I'm inclined to agree with Yzord here.

This isn't just an minor issue with a watch based on 2 people having slightly different views on condition.

I would be very surprised if this seller hasn't deliberately set out to mislead knowing full well any buyer wouldn't be happy considering the pictures he used and the description of "excellent shape with little noticeable wear". Yes the seller has a large presence on this forum but from what I can see has no history of selling watches and isn't a dealer so why would he care about a negative review. He has his money.

I really do hope I'm wrong but it's not looking good
schnipples24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:44 AM   #32
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Hate to say it but I'm inclined to agree with Yzord here.

This isn't just an minor issue with a watch based on 2 people having slightly different views on condition.

I would be very surprised if this seller hasn't deliberately set out to mislead knowing full well any buyer wouldn't be happy considering the pictures he used and the description of "excellent shape with little noticeable wear". Yes the seller has a large presence on this forum but from what I can see has no history of selling watches and isn't a dealer so why would he care about a negative review. He has his money.

I really do hope I'm wrong but it's not looking good

This is why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's not a regular seller, I don't think he's going to take his money and run, he is a regular on the forum if he were going to try to scam someone I doubt he'd hang around for more than 3k posts. With him not being a regular seller, he may have felt his choice of words were correct. From what I can see the watch is definitely not in excellent cosmetic condition, but may be running in excellent condition. I'm willing to bet, he's off on vacation or hopefully nothing worse. My guess is he will be back and make this right. For the record I don't know the seller or the OP.

**He did make a thread in May about a upcoming trip to Canada. He's possibly there**
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:53 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry to hear about this OP. I hope the seller contacts you and the two of you come to a resolution.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:54 AM   #34
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Trip or not, everyone takes his mail, mobile and/or other communication tool with him. If his reactionscore was high before the sale and none after the sale.... take your guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 June 2017, 05:57 AM   #35
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
Trip or not, everyone takes his mail, mobile and/or other communication tool with him. If his reactionscore was high before the sale and none after the sale.... take your guess

There are many places where people go fishing in remote parts of Canada, and there is no cell service, internet, or cable..
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:59 AM   #36
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
There are many places where people go fishing in remote parts of Canada, and there is no cell service, internet, or cable..

Ok ok :-) maybe i am to negative about this. Question to OP, did he mentioned a trip and that the sale needs to be done quick otherwise he is gone for his trip?
Old 29 June 2017, 06:11 AM   #37
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't feel thats a fair assumption. I don't vacation with email and sometimes without even a phone.

Sent from my cracked, broken, hand wound Phone
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:27 AM   #38
MonBK
Banned

Looking at his resume I wouldn't classify him as a trusted seller.

He pledged just before he sold this watch and i can't find any other sales from him.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:46 AM   #39
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

I think it is good to be cautious.

He never mentioned any trip, the transaction was strictly professional. But I do think it's weird selling a 4k watch and not doing any follow-up even if he was going on a trip. At least let me know that he would be away for a week but to let him know how it looked or something like that.....

I appreciate all the feedback you guys are providing. Thank you for all the different perspectives.

Quote:
Ok ok :-) maybe i am to negative about this. Question to OP, did he mentioned a trip and that the sale needs to be done quick otherwise he is gone for his trip?
Old 29 June 2017, 07:30 AM   #40
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post

If his phone rings when you call, then there is cell service.

Have you tried calling, OP? You mention that you've emailed, texted, reached out on Instagram, but no mention of a call.

Old 29 June 2017, 08:21 AM   #41
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
With my background in photography and my expertise in watch repair, I'd say his photos do a good job hiding the scratches and your photos do a good job exaggerating them. As for the watch, even a quick refinish would probably bring it back to like new condition. I don't really see any dings or dents, just surface scratches. Seller should at least offer to compensate for a refinish or something. Days with no reply is not cool. This is a simple fix.
This is what I was thinking, still the description by seller is very wrong
Old 29 June 2017, 08:34 AM   #42
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
To be on here for 3000 posts and then to describe that watch as "excellent" condition with "very little noticeable wear" is just completely dishonest. Anyone that active on this forum knows that watch has a lot of wear, so he was deliberately trying to mislead.

Hopefully you get a refund. But like others said, if not, I wouldn't consider it a total loss. Sending it to RSC or a good independent should bring it back to like-new.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 09:00 AM   #43
Kiaraff
"TRF" Member

Not described right but still a very good price for such a young watch!
Kiaraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 09:09 AM   #44
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiaraff View Post
Not described right but still a very good price for such a young watch!
Assuming the watch is in fact that young... the date looks sketchy on the card.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 09:13 AM   #45
Kiaraff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Assuming the watch is in fact that young... the date looks sketchy on the card.
My apologies, indeed the card looks sketchy! Would like to see some normal pictures from the card.
Kiaraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 09:49 AM   #46
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
At the risk of raising ire or looking like a shill, the watch doesn't look that much different from original ad photos....
Put your glasses on and take a better look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (97.3 KB, 783 views)
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:49 AM   #47
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Looks like he used pics when he first bought the watch.

He purposely mislead you to sell it.

Agree, your $$$ is gone. Stupid thing to do on his part...

Though it sucks its all scratched up, good thing is, you still have a working Rolex. This could have been a lot worse and a box full of rocks.
A polish and rebrush is no big deal in the long run. You can call around locally and find a TRUSTWORTHY place to repolish/brush it, learn to do it yourself and practice on a $80 invicta (which is my preferred method) or wait till service and have rolex do it.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:16 AM   #48
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
The Mk1 214270's are selling used for around $5k in near mint condition and around $4.5k in "excellent" condition. At $4k you should be expecting some fair wear and tear. You get what you pay for.

Close examination of the images in the sale ad reveals a lot of small scratches. If the watch is keeping good time it was probably priced appropriately for its condition.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:13 PM   #49
slickrick68
"TRF" Member

Watch: anything shiny
Price has nothing do with the condition. It's clear it was not described accurately regardless of price.
slickrick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:26 PM   #50
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrick68 View Post
Price has nothing do with the condition. It's clear it was not described accurately regardless of price.
The description doesn't say mint or near mint, which would mean no scratches to just about everyone. Excellent and "noticeable wear", on the other hand, are open to some interpretation.

The seller says he wore it in a rotation, and the condition is reflective of a watch that is worn regularly. There's no mention of being polished. A buyer should expect all the swirls and scratches that come with regular wear.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:28 PM   #51
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
I say it was intentional scam and the buyer deserves all his money back or the sell pays for all the service work to get it up to standards.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:33 PM   #52
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

I've bought/sold probably 50+ watches. I know what is to be expected with normal wear and tear. This is beyond that, did you see all of the pictures I posted? He listed the watch as excellent condition with LITTLE noticeable wear. That is so clearly not the case. The watch is literally 100% covered in scratches. I do not think there is one square mm on the watch that is not covered by scratches.

I am sorry but in no universe does that qualify as excellent condition I don't care what arbitrary rules you use to classify the condition. Especially since the pictures were taken in such ways to mask any imperfections. If that was the case where its "normal" wear and tear, then why did none of his photos show any signs of scratches. I'm sorry but looking at his pictures the only sign of scratches I see are on the clasp and THAT is expected with normal wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The description doesn't say mint or near mint, which would mean no scratches to just about everyone. Excellent, on the other hand, is open to some interpretation.

The seller says he wore it in a rotation, and the condition is reflective of a watch that is worn regularly. There's no mention of being polished. A buyer should expect all the swirls and scratches that come with regular wear.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:35 PM   #53
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Interpretation of description aside, those photos were not reflective of what the watch actually looks like. Now add the description back into the equation and certainly leaves a bad taste.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:56 PM   #54
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The description doesn't say mint or near mint, which would mean no scratches to just about everyone. Excellent and "noticeable wear", on the other hand, are open to some interpretation.

Huh?

Directly from original sales post:

"This Rolex Explorer from 2014 is in excellent condition. It has very little noticeable wear and has been worn in rotation with 4 other watches. It is the 39mm Explorer model with white gold numerals and comes complete with all boxes and papers".

The noticeable wear description was prefaced by "very little".

I would think that a reasonable person would interpret that to mean that there isn't much noticeable wear.

The watch was delivered with excessive wear that is very noticeable. The amount of wear does not equal "little".

It was not as described and should be returned for full refund.

The F&F request for payment and the vanishing act after the sale is a bad sign.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:11 PM   #55
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Huh?

Directly from original sales post:

"This Rolex Explorer from 2014 is in excellent condition. It has very little noticeable wear and has been worn in rotation with 4 other watches. It is the 39mm Explorer model with white gold numerals and comes complete with all boxes and papers".

The noticeable wear description was prefaced by "very little".

I would think that a reasonable person would interpret that to mean that there isn't much noticeable wear.

The watch was delivered with excessive wear.

It was not as described and should be returned for full refund.

The F&F request for payment and the vanishing act after the sale is a bad sign.

^^100% correct. It astounds me that there could be any debate regarding this, especially from long standing forum members. Clearly not in keeping with the spirit of this community, or at least as I've grown to know it. Would be nice to hear both sides to see if there are any additional facts yet to be disclosed, but as it stands I'm strongly in agreement with the OP.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:20 PM   #56
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

Ty for the support.
No additional facts to be stated. I am trying to be as transparent as possible without exaggerating. I could post screenshots of our chats if he responds saying differently.

Payment was made and watch was shipped/he provided me the tracking # within an hour. The next day I received the watch and texted him to discuss the misrepresentation of the condition. That was Saturday. I have not received a response since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
^^100% correct. It astounds me that there could be any debate regarding this, especially from long standing forum members. Clearly not in keeping with the spirit of this community, or at least as I've grown to know it. Would be nice to hear both sides to see if there are any additional facts yet to be disclosed, but as it stands I'm strongly in agreement with the OP.
Old 29 June 2017, 01:46 PM   #57
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnipples24 View Post

I've received absolutely no communication from him since he gave me the tracking # on saturday. I've reached out via email, texts, and even messaged him on Instagram.

You could try calling

Old 29 June 2017, 03:17 PM   #58
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Maybe he got another new phone
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:21 PM   #59
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

That thing was ridden hard and put a way wet...Seller needs to make things right here as he misrepresented the condition.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:22 PM   #60
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Maybe he got another new phone
I see what you did there. lol
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote