The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2017, 01:46 PM   #301
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanspeakman View Post
Really nice watch but USD 21500?? Come on......
I mean- they are robbing people if they charge more than 1995 coreect?
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 01:54 PM   #302
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Some people just aren't cut out for this
Old 19 July 2017, 10:46 PM   #303
starbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS
The 5522A will sell out and probably go to a premium in the aftermarket. Down the road when the excitement wears off it might be a different story. That's the investment conclusion, and give PP credit for establishing such a strong brand. Then there's the watch, itself. Personally I think there are quite a few pilot watches that are equally or more attractive for less than one tenth the price. The investment calculation is important, but I would rather have a more interesting watch on my wrist.
starbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:04 AM   #304
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrown View Post
The investment calculation is important, but I would rather have a more interesting watch on my wrist.
Considering there is zero chance you will likely get a 5522a, you should absolutely buy one of those other more desirable watches that don't have a ridiculous price tag of 21k. The rest of us will stick with the #1 watch brand in the world.
Old 20 July 2017, 12:09 AM   #305
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

New Release: Patek Philippe 5522A Limited Edition Pilot's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by key View Post
I never thought that I would ever say that a $21k watch is good value for the money, but then again this hobby makes us say/do some crazy things

Good luck to both of us in sourcing this beauty!

$21k is good "value" for a time only stainless steel watch? Bahahaha

I roll my eyes at this hobby sometimes !!

That said for a LE stainless steel Patek relative to the entire Patek lineup it's not that bad. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think only the 5167 Aquanaut is cheaper (at MSRP)?

I know it's totally different animal but I'm inclined to get another Rolex Daytona ceramic in black @ $12.4k and something else ? for that price

I know it's a Patek and it may be the few rare times that Patek is competitively priced vs other brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:49 AM   #306
starbrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Considering there is zero chance you will likely get a 5522a, you should absolutely buy one of those other more desirable watches that don't have a ridiculous price tag of 21k. The rest of us will stick with the #1 watch brand in the world.
To each his own, of course. I own a couple of Pateks, the 5711 and a vintage from the Centennial. They are IMO great watches from a great brand. But even great artists don't always create great paintings. The Watch Snob has some interesting things to say about Patek in this regard.
Old 20 July 2017, 12:56 AM   #307
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrown View Post
To each his own, of course. I own a couple of Pateks, the 5711 and a vintage from the Centennial. They are IMO great watches from a great brand. But even great artists don't always create great paintings. The Watch Snob has some interesting things to say about Patek in this regard.
5711? The 5167 gone? Cheers
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 04:07 AM   #308
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Value is a relative term. If you don't value something, you won't pay for it. Obviously by the response here you can see there is plenty of value for this piece.

But if it's financial justification you are looking for, I can't justify spending 21k on a watch. But I value the brand and he watch so I do it anyways.

On a pure financial level- buy a Casio. Cheap, tells time more accurately, and gives "value" for what it is.
Old 20 July 2017, 04:58 AM   #309
Volt55
"TRF" Member

Just saw this piece at the exhibition, unfortunately as a huge fan of Patek this watch looked like a shinola. I wish I could say something better as I was planning on purchasing this one.
Volt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 05:11 AM   #310
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
well.. if it will instantly be worth more than 21K in the grey market how can you NOT afford to buy it?
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 05:38 AM   #311
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Value is a relative term. If you don't value something, you won't pay for it. Obviously by the response here you can see there is plenty of value for this piece.

But if it's financial justification you are looking for, I can't justify spending 21k on a watch. But I value the brand and he watch so I do it anyways.

On a pure financial level- buy a Casio. Cheap, tells time more accurately, and gives "value" for what it is.
I don't disagree. value is what a person is willing to pay for it....

I've never owned a Patek and have started to venture into the rarified air of Patek after long love affair with Rolex.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:47 AM   #312
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
The price is what you pay, the value what you get...
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:48 AM   #313
bh_horology
"TRF" Member

I find it strange that people are debating SS vs Gold as if though the metal case is of substantial value. Maybe the watch case is 30grams approx. That is $1,200 of value.
If this was a gold case, would there still be this much debate on the price? What folks have to realize that the "price" of a watch is not based on the materials used in the watch. I believe that this is a very attractively priced watch.
The 5167 is $20K - and it is extremely hard to find - stainless on a rubber strap....
bh_horology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 07:38 AM   #314
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkapur View Post
I find it strange that people are debating SS vs Gold as if though the metal case is of substantial value. Maybe the watch case is 30grams approx. That is $1,200 of value.
If this was a gold case, would there still be this much debate on the price? What folks have to realize that the "price" of a watch is not based on the materials used in the watch. I believe that this is a very attractively priced watch.
The 5167 is $20K - and it is extremely hard to find - stainless on a rubber strap....
Good point. I never understood why $1200 worth of 18kt gold ups a value by $10K
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:01 AM   #315
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
Good point. I never understood why $1200 worth of 18kt gold ups a value by $10K
For the same reason an Aquanaut is more than twice the price of a Rolex sub. They can get it.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:50 AM   #316
qhbl
"TRF" Member

So can we make money out of this? Don't like the look of it, but I wanna feel "cool" by flipping a watch!

Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold Black Dial 116618LN - 2016
qhbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 09:32 AM   #317
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhbl View Post
So can we make money out of this? Don't like the look of it, but I wanna feel "cool" by flipping a watch!
This one's just for our American friends unfortunately. Unless you are on good terms with a US AD.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 09:43 AM   #318
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

On TRF, we spend a lot of time speculating on future price of a watch. It is an interesting topic to discuss, but no one can accurately predict what the market for the 5522A will be like in a year, 2 years or 5 years. Watch collectors today tend to have short attention spans. A watch that is popular for a time loses its popularity and something else replaces it as the next hot watch.

Not all LE Patek watch prices sell for a profit. Some lose value over time with inflation eroding the original price paid for the watch. Others are produced in a large quantity and loses its exclusive appeal after the initial wave of interest.

One thing I am concerned about with the Patek 5522A is that it doesn't distinguish itself from pilot's watches from other brands. The 5524G was made in precious metal and had the travel time, which set it apart from other pilot's watches and it was at a different price level. As others have mentioned, it is not clear how different the 5522A is from a Zenith, IWC or even a Shinola pilot's watch. IMO it is not that "special", except that it is a Patek pilot's watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:14 AM   #319
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Just reading about how the BBC spends our money in paying presenters absolutely ludicrous amounts! Rampant sexual discrimination in pay, and one Welsh newsreader gets £500K a year just for reading out loud, and Lineker gets 1.79m for presenting, not playing, a bloody sports programme we would all watch anyway for the football! There is absolutely no value here, and no wonder the BBC fought tooth and nail to cover this up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:46 AM   #320
starbrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

One thing I am concerned about with the Patek 5522A is that it doesn't distinguish itself from pilot's watches from other brands. The 5524G was made in precious metal and had the travel time, which set it apart from other pilot's watches and it was at a different price level. As others have mentioned, it is not clear how different the 5522A is from a Zenith, IWC or even a Shinola pilot's watch. IMO it is not that "special", except that it is a Patek pilot's watch.
Says it better than I did. The Patek label and limited edition is sufficient in the short run, but in the long run the watch also needs to be distinctive to hold or gain value.
Old 20 July 2017, 01:32 PM   #321
KarlS
Banned

I sort of agree with Jon_Jon. Personally I think the IWC is a more attractive Pilot watch. Now if I am in the market for a Pilot watch and considering the skewing of my collection I would probably go PP. Watches generally look the same and I use the example if rock star RW Smith. His watches look exactly like a G Daniels whose watches look exactly like a Breguet!! Voutilainen looks like Jurgensen etc etc. some Tudors look like Rolex etc etc. on the LE front I can't think if any PP that has truly tanked!! My gut says the 5975 was probably the least interesting (and I like it a lot) if tge 175 Anniversary and it's values are fairly firm and the 5575 is still strong considering there were 1300 and it was cheaper than a 5131. Of course this watch has flaws and I can criticize the 5320, 5930, 5524 and all my watches. As long as thecwatvh puts a smile in your face. It's worth it
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 03:12 PM   #322
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

That said for a LE stainless steel Patek relative to the entire Patek lineup it's not that bad. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think only the 5167 Aquanaut is cheaper (at MSRP)?

I know it's totally different animal but I'm inclined to get another Rolex Daytona ceramic in black @ $12.4k and something else ? for that price

I know it's a Patek and it may be the few rare times that Patek is competitively priced vs other brands
the 5119g is 21,500... $47 cheaper than this one. I think all the other men's calatrava models have higher MSRP

Compared to 5119g, this new model seems like a good value. Limited edition, 42mm vs. 36mm, pilot aesthetic

Those who think this overpriced would probably consider all Patek products overpriced. Don't understand the complaints personally
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 09:22 PM   #323
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
For what it is, the price is a steal. I'd bet they're all already sold.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 10:48 PM   #324
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
For what it is, the price is a steal. I'd bet they're all already sold.

Without question. Sadly a great deal will likely end up in the hands of flippers.

First one to market should fetch a pretty penny.
Old 20 July 2017, 11:03 PM   #325
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom007 View Post
The price is what you pay, the value what you get...
By value you don't mean quick profit, I hope.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 03:59 AM   #326
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
By value you don't mean quick profit, I hope.
Until today I have never sold any Patek. That's why there is neither profit nor loss...
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 05:18 AM   #327
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If to focus on value every luxury product is overpriced, you pay for brand and quality, either you are ok with it and wear them, clothes or watches, either not, but for me I really feel the difference between a 200 dollar polo from a top brand and a 100 dollar one from D&G for example, better cut, better sawn, etc, especially they last longer as you give them formdry cleaning instead of putting them in the machine, same with watches, as soon as I got my first 5712, I was hooked, it was IMHO, so much better than my Pams, Rolexes and Blancpain and others, no comparison, but I remember posting here around 4 years ago asking if the difference was really worth the premium from Blancpain for example, all members answering said yes. I am not a fan of this 5522, but if you like the style it's a great one to have, a super original Patek, sure other pilot watches will give you the same look, but will they be finished as well, especially the movement? Of course not. You need tomdo things which give you pleasure in life, if buying and wearing luxury goods gives you pleasure and doesn't make you do too big sacrifices, it would be stupid not to do it...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 03:12 AM   #328
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
At patek exhibition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2642.JPG (278.0 KB, 295 views)
Old 24 July 2017, 03:44 AM   #329
martinr
"TRF" Member

I hope they ship soon!
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 03:19 AM   #330
key
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have any good news yet?

key is offline   Reply With Quote