The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 July 2017, 04:35 AM   #31
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
because of Americans' habit of suing all the time for the slightest excuse.
This is not actually a thing, America's 'litigious society' is predominately a myth spurred on by the Stella Liebeck lawsuit.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 04:53 AM   #32
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Guys thank you for the advice (those that weren't taking the p!) Truthfully, I thought that I was just unlucky with my teeth and that he was doing his best. I've written to the head of practice who looked after me yesterday. I'll let you know.
Old 19 July 2017, 04:59 AM   #33
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
Why would you feel sorry for me? Because of what I said about dentistry?

How do you explain the op's situation?

My wife and I and lots of family members have had lots of problems with dentists. To me they care much more about the money than their patients health and yes I am generalizing but we have nothing else to go by other than what we have experienced.

Also there is a reason that as a whole dentistry is one of the least trusted professions. Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.
Your last line is a clear lie. Gallop polls consistently show dentists as one of the highest trusted professions. You look it up.

This calls into question the veracity of everything else you have said.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 05:08 AM   #34
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would you feel sorry for me? Because of what I said about dentistry?

How do you explain the op's situation?

My wife and I and lots of family members have had lots of problems with dentists. To me they care much more about the money than their patients health and yes I am generalizing but we have nothing else to go by other than what we have experienced.

Also there is a reason that as a whole dentistry is one of the least trusted professions. Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.
Yeah, sorry, but this is wrong.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 05:11 AM   #35
BristolCavendish
Banned

Curious. What are the 'top 5' (or 10) least trusted professions? I've got a vague hunch as to what they might be.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 05:16 AM   #36
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Your last line is a clear lie. Gallop polls consistently show dentists as one of the highest trusted professions. You look it up.

This calls into question the veracity of everything else you have said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Yeah, sorry, but this is wrong.

Btw what do you two think the percentage is of dentists that send their laboratory work to china to save some money and not use American labs. I'd say around 50%.

So that means about half the people in America don't realize that their teeth are made overseas and the metals in their teeth might contain toxins. The dentists would never disclose that to their patients would they?

Yeah real trustworthy.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 05:25 AM   #37
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Btw what do you two think the percentage is of dentists that send their laboratory work to china to save some money and not use American labs. I'd say around 50%.

So that means about half the people in America don't realize that their teeth are made overseas and the metals in their teeth might contain toxins. The dentists would never disclose that to their patients would they?

Yeah real trustworthy.
Not me. All local. And I verify content. Where do you get this number? Do you just make shit up?
Old 19 July 2017, 05:29 AM   #38
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Not me. All local. And I verify content. Where do you get this number? Do you just make shit up?
Why so mad?
Old 19 July 2017, 05:32 AM   #39
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:

Yeah real trustworthy.
Back in the day, many dentists used to do their own crown and bridge work. Then they started sending the cases out to local dental labs. The mark-up for crowns and inlays is exorbitant as dentists charge nearly 3X+ the wholesale price of a crown simply for taking an impression and gluing it on/checking the bite.

This alleged routing to Chinese dental labs would increase their profit margins even more so. What's the actual story behind all of this other than "Baby needs a new Porsche".
Old 19 July 2017, 05:32 AM   #40
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why so mad?
Obviously too much caffeine.
Old 19 July 2017, 05:42 AM   #41
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Back in the day, many dentists used to do their own crown and bridge work. Then they started sending the cases out to local dental labs. The mark-up for crowns and inlays is exorbitant as dentists charge nearly 3X+ the wholesale price of a crown simply for taking an impression and gluing it on/checking the bite.

This alleged routing to Chinese dental labs would increase their profit margins even more so. What's the actual story behind all of this other than "Baby needs a new Porsche".
Your post is dated and ignorant. We drive Ferrari now.
Old 19 July 2017, 05:47 AM   #42
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Your post is dated and ignorant. We drive Ferrari now.
As per your quote, you are just reaffirming Maybelline's point regarding greed, self-serving intentions and a lack of full disclosure.

Add a touch of arrogance into the equation and we get the picture.
Old 19 July 2017, 05:50 AM   #43
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As per your quote, you are just reaffirming Maybelline's point regarding greed, self-serving intentions and lack of full disclosure. Add arrogance to the equation and we get the picture.
Good lord. Clearly a joke.
Old 19 July 2017, 05:59 AM   #44
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:

Umm. The markup is 10x. Most high quality labs charge about $150 for one tooth then the dentist charge their patient about $1500 to take an impression and glue it on.

Now if a dentist sends the same tooth to china they charge as little as $35 so the dentist saves a little more than $100 but puts his patient at grave risk not to mention that the quality of the tooth will be horrendous. The man in china probably works 20 hours a day for who knows how much. I'll guess $5. Then there is the issue of Chinese labs using inferior metals that may or may not contain lead.

So to me this is not trustworthy. Don't even ask me how I know all this. It's a long, sad story.
Old 19 July 2017, 06:04 AM   #45
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Umm. The markup is 10x. Most high quality labs charge about $150 for one tooth then the dentist charge their patient about $1500 to take an impression and glue it on.

So to me this is not trustworthy. Don't even ask me how I know all this. It's a long, sad story.
I stand corrected as inflation and dental costs rage upwards and onwards. Come to think of it, my last full crown was $1500 for the impression/installation (2013).

Dentistry and mortuary-related occupations will always be lucrative trades as they are always needed and often go unchecked.
Old 19 July 2017, 06:32 AM   #46
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Excuse me gentlemen I'm the one in pain here!
Old 19 July 2017, 07:44 AM   #47
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
I stand corrected as inflation and dental costs rage upwards and onwards. Come to think of it, my last full crown was $1500 for the impression/installation (2013).

Dentistry and mortuary-related occupations will always be lucrative trades as they are always needed and often go unchecked.
I do feel this way slightly. I have this feeling when I leave the Dentist office, that I was being upsold on things. Almost like the feeling when I used to go to car dealerships to purchase a car. Unfortunately most dental plans suck, and Dentistry is largely a cash business. Many Dental practices were hurt during the recent recession since it is largely a cash business, people were opting out of dental care. The dentist across the hall from us at one time during the down turn, said his business was down 40%. I think many people are paying for it now.
I also feel this way when I leave the Vet. I feel like I'm getting shamed into things that aren't necessarily needed.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 08:09 AM   #48
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Agree with opinion of finding another dentist.

What's done is done. Get someone else to look after your remaining teeth.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 09:59 AM   #49
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
The amount of misinformation and use of anecdotal evidence (at best) as fact in this thread is alarming. Good thing I'm only here to satisfy my passion for time pieces.

I hope the original poster finds himself in a better situation soon.
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 12:18 PM   #50
Maybelline
Banned

Ask me how much the dentist charged my grandmother to fix her cracked denture.

Then I found out how much the dentist pays the lab to actually fix the dam thing. It's like $75 and the dentist got almost $500 for doing absolutely nothing.
Old 19 July 2017, 12:22 PM   #51
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah real trustworthy.
My wife practices in Germany and am 100% sure this outsourcing doesn't happen (at least with her). I'm quite certain EU has MUCH stricter regulations than US though. However, when you mention 'I'd say around 50%' what in the world are you basing this on? Your 'first hand experiences' or perhaps 'personal insider information'? Don't make baseless claims and throw out numbers if you haven't a clue and it's simply your personal guess.

Quote:
Ask me how much the dentist charged my grandmother to fix her cracked denture.

Then I found out how much the dentist pays the lab to actually fix the dam thing. It's like $75 and the dentist got almost $500 for doing absolutely nothing.
I would agree that this is a large markup, and would expect something more along the lines of 2-3x, but don't act like this isn't incredibly common in practically every medical profession. Also, you fail to state if that $500 also included an original office visit, then a follow up office visit to come back in.

You seem to have it 'in' for the dentistry profession as a whole for some reason. There's almost 200,000 working dentists in America. You're unfairly grouping them all together based on (what I assume are) some isolated situations. Even if you've been to 5 dentists in your area, at the end of the day that's a mere .000025% of all working individuals. There's good and bad apples in all professions. I've definitely gotten a few bad haircuts in my life. Yet, I would never sit here and claim all hairdressers are incompetent based on these negative experiences.
Old 19 July 2017, 09:12 PM   #52
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
My wife practices in Germany and am 100% sure this outsourcing doesn't happen (at least with her). I'm quite certain EU has MUCH stricter regulations than US though. However, when you mention 'I'd say around 50%' what in the world are you basing this on? Your 'first hand experiences' or perhaps 'personal insider information'? Don't make baseless claims and throw out numbers if you haven't a clue and it's simply your personal guess.

I would agree that this is a large markup, and would expect something more along the lines of 2-3x, but don't act like this isn't incredibly common in practically every medical profession. Also, you fail to state if that $500 also included an original office visit, then a follow up office visit to come back in.

You seem to have it 'in' for the dentistry profession as a whole for some reason. There's almost 200,000 working dentists in America. You're unfairly grouping them all together based on (what I assume are) some isolated situations. Even if you've been to 5 dentists in your area, at the end of the day that's a mere .000025% of all working individuals. There's good and bad apples in all professions. I've definitely gotten a few bad haircuts in my life. Yet, I would never sit here and claim all hairdressers are incompetent based on these negative experiences.
That $500 was just for the fix. That's it.

And I'm just trying to tell people the truth about dentistry.

Where in all my posts did I say all dentists are incompetent? Please point this out to me.
Old 19 July 2017, 09:42 PM   #53
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Isn't dentistry relatively new in the UK?

It came about a few years ago when it was found that the quality of string deteriorated to such an extent that teeth weren't extracted the first time when the door was slammed, it either stretched or broke. It was disgraceful.

Oh, and don't get me on about the quality of door knobs... Some horror stories there.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 10:50 PM   #54
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That $500 was just for the fix. That's it.

And I'm just trying to tell people the truth about dentistry.

Where in all my posts did I say all dentists are incompetent? Please point this out to me.
So you're admitting that your 'truths' and the numbers (upwards of 50% of the ENTIRE profession) you pull out of thin air are solely based on your personal experiences, which account for less than one TEN THOUSANDTH of a percent of the total population of working dentists. With that, I don't really have much more to say. You're just ranting at this point.

In regards to the hairdressers, I was just making an (perhaps not the best) analogy. You're saying dentists are thieves (and insulting the profession) based on what a few charge that you've personally experienced. I mentioned hairdressers being 'incompetent' based on a few not having good technique in my personal experience. That's silly to draw these conclusions about an entire profession with such limited exposure to the actual population of working individuals.

Perhaps you came into the office with this horrible attitude ranting about how dentists are the least trustworthy profession and they gave you their 'special pricing'. I probably would too.
Old 19 July 2017, 11:10 PM   #55
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
So you're admitting that your 'truths' and the numbers (upwards of 50% of the ENTIRE profession) you pull out of thin air are solely based on your personal experiences, which account for less than one TEN THOUSANDTH of a percent of the total population of working dentists. With that, I don't really have much more to say. You're just ranting at this point.

In regards to the hairdressers, I was just making an (perhaps not the best) analogy. You're saying dentists are thieves (and insulting the profession) based on what a few charge that you've personally experienced. I mentioned hairdressers being 'incompetent' based on a few not having good technique in my personal experience. That's silly to draw these conclusions about an entire profession with such limited exposure to the actual population of working individuals.

Perhaps you came into the office with this horrible attitude ranting about how dentists are the least trustworthy profession and they gave you their 'special pricing'. I probably would too.
Perhaps you are getting upset because I'm stating things that the general public doesn't know about dentistry and you seem to be getting upset. Perhaps someone in my immediate family was so hurt by a dentists incompetence that they required medical attention and perhaps after that incident I did some real research into the profession. Perhaps the 50% number I stated is even higher.
Perhaps dentists do in fact care more about the bottom line than the wellbeing of their patients.
Old 19 July 2017, 11:40 PM   #56
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Perhaps you are getting upset because I'm stating things that the general public doesn't know about dentistry and you seem to be getting upset. Perhaps someone in my immediate family was so hurt by a dentists incompetence that they required medical attention and perhaps after that incident I did some real research into the profession. Perhaps the 50% number I stated is even higher.
Perhaps dentists do in fact care more about the bottom line than the wellbeing of their patients.
Now he claims with his 'insider info' that the number is higher than 50%
Old 19 July 2017, 11:55 PM   #57
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Now he claims with his 'insider info' that the number is higher than 50%
So prove me wrong.

Here's another tid bit for you.

My father went to the dentist and needed a crown. Ok that happens are you with me so far?

The dentist goes over all the available options for teeth and my father agrees on a full gold crown due to metal allergies he's had in the past.

Well not days after the crown is glued in and my father has a bad reaction to the crown. So he goes to another dentist to question how this could happen with dental yellow gold. Well guess what? The dentist stuck in a non precious yellow metal crown and tried to pass it off as real gold and of course he charged my dad for the real gold.
It was found out that the dentist sent the crown to china and he put all the blame on them.
My father had to have the second dentist rip out the bad crown and start over with a real gold one.
Real trustworthy huh.

So people of trf. Even if you think I'm full of it just make sure to ask your dentists where he sends the lab work. If he won't tell you run away. If it's to a foreign country run away.
Old 20 July 2017, 01:16 AM   #58
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthene View Post
This is not actually a thing, America's 'litigious society' is predominately a myth spurred on by the Stella Liebeck lawsuit.
Yeah I know that one. Well what about the one where a woman, at the beginning of microwave ovens, came back from the rain with her cat or dog, put the poor animal in the oven, and saw it explode? I think she got 5-10 million, and that was the beginning of the 80's, just because the maker did not right on the instructions not to put a live animal inside.
And all the people suing shops because they fell on ice on the sidewalks in front of the said shops.
I lived 9 years in the US, there are even lawyers making commercials like "an accident happened to you? You might be eligible for a ton of cash".
Also guys jumping in front of moving cars and stuff, might be wrong but have seen a few documentaries on insurance doctors and surgeons had to pay in the US because of incessant law suits, seemed crazy, with surgeons paying close to one million a year in insurance...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 01:35 AM   #59
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Curious. What are the 'top 5' (or 10) least trusted professions? I've got a vague hunch as to what they might be.
Plumbers, car mechanics, locksmiths, electricians are clearly in the top 10, as those are probably the ones who tried to screw me the most in my life, even had to call the cops because of a locksmith, it was SOS service, he opened the door, and wanted 2000 euros to change the lock that he had broken to open the door, which costed 250, he wanted to get paid or he was leaving the door without lock, since I was leaving the next day and the flat would have been unoccupied for the whole summer, real bummer, was 18, called the cops who forced the guy to accept 600 euros and change the lock.
About dentists when I see that a top notch porcelain facet in Odessa costed me 400 dollars, 300 now with the crisis, and in France they go from 900 to 2500, clearly the guys asking more than 1200-1500 are really crooks, I get the high taxes, but there are limits. Happy to live in Odessa and have a top notch dentist who is great and super honest. The big difference between when I am in Paris and Odessa, is that in Paris I have the impression of getting screwed every time I need to pay for something, in Odessa no, you get a double Jack Daniels for the orice of a coke in a small bistro in a normal neighborhood in Paris, and everything is like that, amazing...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 01:52 AM   #60
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So prove me wrong.

Here's another tid bit for you.

My father went to the dentist and needed a crown. Ok that happens are you with me so far?

The dentist goes over all the available options for teeth and my father agrees on a full gold crown due to metal allergies he's had in the past.

Well not days after the crown is glued in and my father has a bad reaction to the crown. So he goes to another dentist to question how this could happen with dental yellow gold. Well guess what? The dentist stuck in a non precious yellow metal crown and tried to pass it off as real gold and of course he charged my dad for the real gold.
It was found out that the dentist sent the crown to china and he put all the blame on them.
My father had to have the second dentist rip out the bad crown and start over with a real gold one.
Real trustworthy huh.

So people of trf. Even if you think I'm full of it just make sure to ask your dentists where he sends the lab work. If he won't tell you run away. If it's to a foreign country run away.
Prove you wrong??? you're the one making ridiculous claims, with absolutely zero proof, want others to blindly believe it, then act as if it's fact unless we 'prove' you otherwise. How old are you, 16?

At this point I find anything you say, quite hard to even believe. No need asking if people 'follow' your story, you make zero sense to anyone remotely intellectual. Nobody is listening to you, and I'm tired of responding to you. Cheers.

Tags
dentist