The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2017, 12:04 AM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
RO love/hate

I really don't get it, love the AP pics, but really don't like my 15300, in pics love them, in real no, really can't understand why, I was making a pleasure of sending it for service and wearing it, but after 2-3 hours playing with it and wearing it, realized I really don't like it, what the hell is wrong with me, love the design, but somehow the feel and wear puts me off, the feel of the brushed parts of the bracelet feel strange, when the Nautilus brushed parts feel smooth, the AP feels kind of rugged and not nice to touch, also it takes fingerprints like crazy, I barely touched it and it had marks everywhere.
Anyone else feel the same or am I an only case? Again not talking about the design which I love, more the feel and wear...

I loved the SS and RG 15202's but they were covered with plastic at the Boutique and AD when I saw them, is the feel and wear different from the 15300/400 or same thing?

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:07 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

I know you're in Thailand (we need some pics of the activity--use Tapatalk) and maybe had a few too many...but think you already had a whole thread on this: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=546471

If you don't like 15300 I doubt you're going to love 15202.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:13 AM   #3
watchluxus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not Enough
I can PM you my address and take the "problem" off your hands!
watchluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:35 AM   #4
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I know you're in Thailand (we need some pics of the activity--use Tapatalk) and maybe had a few too many...but think you already had a whole thread on this: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=546471

seemed familiar?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:42 AM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Anyone else feel the same or am I an only case? Again not talking about the design which I love, more the feel and wear...

I felt like this about my RGRC. When I saw it on other people's wrists & even now when I see it I think it looks really cool. When I looked at my own wrist or saw how it looked in photographs of me I just didn't like it enough, then when my 44 arrived I decided to sell it.

Last week at the AP golf tournament a couple of guys were wearing it and I thought it looked really cool, a real classic offshore - but I still have to accept that it's not the ideal watch for me, I don't think rose gold suits me.

In your case you have the 5711 & 5712 - if I had both of those I wouldn't have the AP as it's too similar in a small collection imo. When I start to feel like you are right now, selling is only a matter of days away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:44 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well did have a few, I know the thread I posted before, but was wondering if anyone else felt the same. But you are probably right, I probably won't love the 202 either, I guess it's part of those watches you see in pics, are all excited and when you have it there is no magic, just wondering if I am alone like this, as when I see pics, especially Ben's I really find it beautiful, in any case should get out even when the 300 will go, so disappointed yes, but without financial loss...
Old 20 July 2017, 12:48 AM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I felt like this about my RGRC. When I saw it on other people's wrists & even now when I see it I think it looks really cool. When I looked at my own wrist or saw how it looked in photographs of me I just didn't like it enough, then when my 44 arrived I decided to sell it.

Last week at the AP golf tournament a couple of guys were wearing it and I thought it looked really cool, a real classic offshore - but I still have to accept that it's not the ideal watch for me, I don't think rose gold suits me.

In your case you have the 5711 & 5712 - if I had both of those I wouldn't have the AP as it's too similar in a small collection imo. When I start to feel like you are right now, selling is only a matter of days away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same thing happened with the Hulk, loved it for a long time, bought it and found it looked stupid on me, almost never wore it.
For now keeping it as I have no need for cash, but as soon as I do my grey dealer friend is taking it for what I paid for it, until then it will stay unworn in my safe in Paris, some are already selling new for 17.5k euros on chrono24, do they have it or not is another question, paid 15 for mine
Old 20 July 2017, 02:01 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i feel the same way about the nautilus. Its an awesome watch, on My wrist it looks terrible.

Ive come to terms with the fact that there are many watches that i will like in principle, just not on me. I still love the watch though if that makes sense.

The RO is a bit polarizing to begin with (like the nautilus) as its not as traditional as far as case design.

Personally i think if you like one RO you like pretty much all of them and the same is true if you don't like one you don't like any. ROO is a bit different as i know you like your diver quite a bit.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 02:23 AM   #9
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i feel the same way about the nautilus. Its an awesome watch, on My wrist it looks terrible.

Ive come to terms with the fact that there are many watches that i will like in principle, just not on me. I still love the watch though if that makes sense.

The RO is a bit polarizing to begin with (like the nautilus) as its not as traditional as far as case design.

Personally i think if you like one RO you like pretty much all of them and the same is true if you don't like one you don't like any. ROO is a bit different as i know you like your diver quite a bit.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 03:02 AM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Actually I feel the opposite. The Nautilus feels flimsy and cheaper to me after wearing RO's. The brushed bracelet is amazing and doesn't show finger prints like the Nautilus does. After owning multiple Nautilus I have come to conclusion that AP RO's are just much more suited to my style and taste. They are sporty, classy and perfect in every way. I much prefer their dials to Patek as well. So to each his own - don't force it. They are for you or they aren't. I chose a white dial 15300 over white dial 5711 and would never look back. I also saw your post on how thick the 15300 is and don't get that either. It is 1mm + thicker than a 5711 and one of most comfortable watches I have ever owned. So Arnaud move on to another watch or stick to what you have.

PS No more threads on it - we all get you don't like RO's by now after threads and many other posts.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 03:07 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I prefer the design and shape of the Nautilus to the RO, I esp like the AP 44 because the long large pushers change the shape from the octagon of the RO. Took me a while to realise I generally prefer this squarer style.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 04:35 AM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Exactly how I feel, love the watches, my top watch in the radar is the ceramic
PC, I find them awesome, paid top dollar for an unworn 15300, was super happy to service it and wear it, until I spent a few hours with it, when at the AP Boutique love all the ones I try, except the 15400, they look fine on me, but don't feel the love for the one I got, guess I have to get that obsession out of my head, my Genta based collection won't have the original...
But have a feeling the ceramic PC would be fine, hottest watch out there IMHO, maybe SS is the problem...
Old 20 July 2017, 08:56 AM   #13
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
It's certainly not for everybody. I know people out there that love AP as a brand, but maybe the ROO is a little too youthful, and the RO doesn't quite fit right. If this is true, it's really hard to find an entry point.

That can be pretty frustrating, when you love watches and AP, but there's nothing for you.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:08 PM   #14
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Actually I feel the opposite. The Nautilus feels flimsy and cheaper to me after wearing RO's. The brushed bracelet is amazing and doesn't show finger prints like the Nautilus does. After owning multiple Nautilus I have come to conclusion that AP RO's are just much more suited to my style and taste. They are sporty, classy and perfect in every way. I much prefer their dials to Patek as well. So to each his own - don't force it. They are for you or they aren't. I chose a white dial 15300 over white dial 5711 and would never look back. I also saw your post on how thick the 15300 is and don't get that either. It is 1mm + thicker than a 5711 and one of most comfortable watches I have ever owned. So Arnaud move on to another watch or stick to what you have.

PS No more threads on it - we all get you don't like RO's by now after threads and many other posts.
Nicely put and agreed on all counts!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:16 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
It's certainly not for everybody. I know people out there that love AP as a brand, but maybe the ROO is a little too youthful, and the RO doesn't quite fit right. If this is true, it's really hard to find an entry point.

That can be pretty frustrating, when you love watches and AP, but there's nothing for you.
It is frustrating, I love RO's history, design and all, was super happy to get the 300 new, too redundant for most with my other watches but I love the look and don't care about diversity. Anyways at least the ROO is for me, might sell the 300, add cash and get the 44 TI, will make a cool pair with the ce diver
Old 21 July 2017, 01:49 AM   #16
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:

Agree
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 09:28 AM   #17
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Well, Arnaud, live and learn and chalk it up to experience. I don't have a 5711 because I much prefer my Aquanaut and my 15300 to the 5711s I've tried on in ADs, both blue and white dials. To each his own. Would be a miserable and boring world if we all liked the same things.
Old 22 July 2017, 02:37 AM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Well, Arnaud, live and learn and chalk it up to experience. I don't have a 5711 because I much prefer my Aquanaut and my 15300 to the 5711s I've tried on in ADs, both blue and white dials. To each his own. Would be a miserable and boring world if we all liked the same things.
Quite true my friend, made 1 mistake on 5 watches. The others I love and are keepers, guess you can't get it right every time, now the goal is to try the 44 TI, but when tried the SS and RG loved them, like always will try to get a great deal, but think I will love it
Old 23 July 2017, 04:10 AM   #19
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post

Perfectly illustrated. Cats look cute in pictures but I am a dog person so conversion into cat ownership will never happen for me and it is ok :-)
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 04:11 AM   #20
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

The RO is a polarizing watch. I feel like people love it or hate it. I LOVE IT!!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 04:18 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Perfectly illustrated. Cats look cute in pictures but I am a dog person so conversion into cat ownership will never happen for me and it is ok :-)
exactly like you, when we went with my wife to the place they sell animals, we were set on a cat, even if we prefer dogs, living in a flat and all a cat is less hassle, the first pup we saw made us forget about a cat, we got an Amstaff. Your comparison is great for this case, love the pics, want one, but once I have it no magic. Lesson learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The RO is a polarizing watch. I feel like people love it or hate it. I LOVE IT!!
I love it, in pics or 2 minutes on my wrist at the AD, 15202 that is, but as was said if I don't bond with my 300, won't with a 202...
Old 23 July 2017, 05:20 AM   #22
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
exactly like you, when we went with my wife to the place they sell animals, we were set on a cat, even if we prefer dogs, living in a flat and all a cat is less hassle, the first pup we saw made us forget about a cat, we got an Amstaff. Your comparison is great for this case, love the pics, want one, but once I have it no magic. Lesson learned...

I love it, in pics or 2 minutes on my wrist at the AD, 15202 that is, but as was said if I don't bond with my 300, won't with a 202...
Maybe not for that last part. I don't care for the 15300 at all because I don't like 39mm, I'm indifferent with the 15400, but the super thinness of the 15202 and the movement are what made me go after it. Also even if the 15202 has a dark dial and a 39mm size.

I always thought if they could make ROs/ROOs super thin they would be 100% perfect.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 06:03 AM   #23
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Maybe not for that last part. I don't care for the 15300 at all because I don't like 39mm, I'm indifferent with the 15400, but the super thinness of the 15202 and the movement are what made me go after it. Also even if the 15202 has a dark dial and a 39mm size.
Say what?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 06:05 AM   #24
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Say what?
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:24 AM   #25
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, if you don't love your 15300, you won't love the 15202.

Personally, I cannot wait to get a RO.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:36 AM   #26
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quite true my friend, made 1 mistake on 5 watches. The others I love and are keepers, guess you can't get it right every time, now the goal is to try the 44 TI, but when tried the SS and RG loved them, like always will try to get a great deal, but think I will love it
That's a pretty good record 4 out of 5 keepers that you love and the one you don't will not cost you a big money penalty. Good luck on the 44. Looking forward to the wrist pics.
Old 24 July 2017, 12:46 AM   #27
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Sell it and never look back! They don't do anything for me, either!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 04:56 AM   #28
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Personally I like the AP ROO's vs SS ROs (15202, 15400,15300, etc).
So I agree with sell it.
Unless it is a 15305 or 15407... I actually REALLY want one of those.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote