The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2015, 04:32 AM   #1
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Grand Seiko SBG 007 quartz movement

Just wondering what you guys think of the Grand Seiko SBGV 0 0 7
I was told the movement is a 9S82 quartz movement would like to pull the trigger on it today if I could so by all means let me know what you guys think I value your opinions immensely
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 04:46 AM   #2
fmc000
Banned

9S is not a quartz movement, 9F is the code for these series. The SBGV007 uses a 9F82.
A fantastic watch with probably the best quartz movement in production nowadays. I suggest you dig through the many threads dedicated to GS on this section, you'll find many interesting views on how this brand is positioned in the world of the modern horology.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 05:21 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

If the price is right for you, then grab it with both hands, and enjoy it.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 11:28 AM   #4
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
My only concern would Seiko... or I guess I should say Grand Seiko is reliability I know you really can't compare there department store models to the Grand Seiko line however I've been told that once they stop production of the watches the stop production parts. That is a bit of a concern to me any truth behind this
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 12:46 PM   #5
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
I've been told that once they stop production of the watches the stop production parts.
Seiko serviced a 1969 GS for me a couple years ago. They couldn't find parts for my handwound 1968 one though. They won't have parts for eternity but you'll be good for years and years.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 01:45 PM   #6
PJ S
Banned

Seiko is a very reliable brand – if they’re that reliable on the stuff they knock out millions of, what do you think the reliability is of the hand-assembled stuff?

The concern about parts is one that can be dispensed with quite easily.
With Grand Seiko, many parts are made as needed, rather than stockpiled – however, current policy (which is always subject to change) is that parts are produced for 10 years after a product has been discontinued.
As none of the 9F quartz movements have been discontinued yet, you’ve nothing to be concerned over.
As many of the watches share bracelet design, crystal, etc, then you’ve little to worry about even if a model has ceased being made.

If you’re really that perturbed about something 15-20+ years off in the future, buy another one if/when the SBGV goes EOL, then you’ll not have to worry.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 05:54 PM   #7
fmc000
Banned

@OP: please remember that current 9F GS quartz watches have sealed movements that don't have to be serviced for 50 years. The battery cage is separated so that every watchmaker can replace the battery without messing with the movement.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote