The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2017, 07:19 AM   #31
Clasper
"TRF" Member

I know everyone said this was the flagship watch but it has only been the flagship since 2012 and before that I'm sure there was another flagship watch.

I did actually predict an SS Sky Dweller a few months ago, however do you not think that next time round they may bring out something new e.g. the new "flagship", this may well be perpetual calendar or some other combination that they currently don't do who knows.
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:26 AM   #32
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
To me, economics. On the latest editorials from industry analysts, sales from watch companies are hurting. Bad. Rolex has always pushed for PM as the profit is higher; but with declining sales in their top territories, bringing a complication such as the SkyD to the 10-15k range (which is still serious money) will very likely have more people jump in.
spoken like a foodie!

so, why the hell are chicken thigh prices going through the roof!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:30 AM   #33
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Either way - I'd prefer if Rolex focused on functional tool watches in steel. So I am happy.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:33 AM   #34
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I don't want to offend anyone that would want to buy one, but I am hoping not; never. It is the flagship, you don't skimp when it comes to your flagship. IMHO, that would be a VERY bad sign for Rolex.
I agree Paul, but who would have thought they'd release a steel Sky Dweller?

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:33 AM   #35
speedmaster73
Banned

SS is where its at.

PM is jewellery. its nice but still same watch in overpriced gold or platinum.

Glashutte Original etc today all released SS versions of there PM only models...why?..because the PM buyers are not enough to keep brands afloat...

when Rolex becomes a watchmaker or brand like ALS only than can they get away with PM only models....companys that make a million watches year NEED ss models...

like it or not past history no longer reflects the future......millenials for most part do not care about rolex or PM models.....

they care about smart watches

rolex verified today what the purists hate.....its the NEW rolex......ghosts of the past are long gone.....

Omega figured this out sooner than rolex and now rolex is playing catch up
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:37 AM   #36
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
To tell you the truth, as many of you would know, I felt that it was a little bit of a low blow being an owner myself of the PM white gold model.
By doing that, Rolex is taking away from us, PM owners, much of the credit and exclusivity we had aspired to have when we purchased the so called "unique" and "high-priced" Sky Dweller in the first place.
The SS model now with white dial, looks exactly like mine dammit. Oh well, I am sure to flip it now.
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:37 AM   #37
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I don't think it's desperation...just good economics, as Gerardo said.

As to whether this has been their plan all along, who knows. Knowing the deliberate, strategic, and plodding nature of the way Rolex moves, I would be inclined to think so.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:41 AM   #38
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I like it in SS (white Rolesor in Rolex terms) a lot. You make some good points.

I also wonder if it may be more telling of Rolex's evaluation of its competitors. Perhaps they think they can gain new market share from AP and Patek with a complicated SS model of their own
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:42 AM   #39
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossbeau View Post
To tell you the truth, as many of you would know, I felt that it was a little bit of a low blow being an owner myself of the PM white gold model.
By doing that, Rolex is taking away from us, PM owners, much of the credit and exclusivity we had aspired to have when we purchased the so called "unique" and "high-priced" Sky Dweller in the first place.
The SS model now with white dial, looks exactly like mine dammit. Oh well, I am sure to flip it now.
well no offence but im sure more people felt it was a low blow to only offer the skydweller in PM
Old 23 March 2017, 07:44 AM   #40
speedmaster73
Banned

watch collectors, WIS etc whatever purchase watches because of design and movements NOT precious metals....

precious metals dont make the watch. never have never will.

PM is bling-jewellery and thats ok....but it doesent make a 'better' watch

Old 23 March 2017, 07:45 AM   #41
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, as I said elsewhere I do think it was a low blow to issue these in black and white as well, should have been in different colours at least.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:45 AM   #42
peterpl
Banned

TBH I feel like Rolex did a smart move in terms of sales because no doubt the SS models and TT models are far far more attainable than the precious metals.

However, by doing this I reckon the prices of the Precious metals will come down. SS is $14k but the precious metal is around $34k? More than double for PM? Its just not worth it
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:46 AM   #43
gossbeau
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
well no offence but im sure more people felt it was a low blow to only offer the skydweller in PM
You got a point too
Old 23 March 2017, 07:46 AM   #44
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
TBH I feel like Rolex did a smart move in terms of sales because no doubt the SS models and TT models are far far more attainable than the precious metals.

However, by doing this I reckon the prices of the Precious metals will come down. SS is $14k but the precious metal is around $34k? More than double for PM? Its just not worth it

PMs math wise are never worth it
Old 23 March 2017, 07:47 AM   #45
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Oh well, I am sure to flip it now.
I'm sure MANY owners are thinking the same thing. In my eyes they should have left the SKD in precious metal only. But volume of sales is that they need so SS is the logical option.

I'll probably pickup an SS or TT as well and flip my full gold model.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:51 AM   #46
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think the Rolesor model was in the plan from the beginning and I don't think it devalues the brand at all.

The Day-Date remains the king of the hill, so to speak.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:52 AM   #47
speedmaster73
Banned

so what is it now....

will WG PM owners think others think its SS?

will ss owners assume others think it is PM?

well heres a fact. NO ONE can tell WG from SS on the wrist

so PM owners are safe as long as its YG!!!!
Old 23 March 2017, 07:53 AM   #48
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
I thought once that Day-Date is untouchable when it comes to Steel versions, but i thought that Sky-Dweller is only 5 years old and gains little attention so there might be a plan to make Steel version.

Sky-Dweller is not that comfortable in hand as many sport rolexes, but it is masterpiece as it really works with high precision. My former partner bought it few years ago, i was not into watches that much then but it seemed very top of the line product right away. But its not sporty like Daytona or Sea-Dweller.

Rolex makes business, but they have brand psychology to take care of. I think there was too many new models today at Basel.
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:56 AM   #49
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

I'm really pleased to see Rolex offering the TT SDs now. The new hands and stick dials look much better as I'd be peeved had I spent $30K on a yg previous gen model with the rather ugly roman/arabic numerals. I wouldn't kick the champagne faced tt out of bed. Well done.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:56 AM   #50
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I certainly don't think Rolex are struggling

They could ramp up production of the SS Daytona, clear all of the waiting lists worldwide and make more money than they'd know what to do with.

My AD said to me that in an ideal world (to protect their brand image) if they could they'd prefer to only sell PM and not bother with SS at all. That way they would only be bought and worn by the 'elite'. Doubt there's much truth to this though.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:59 AM   #51
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
so what is it now....

You're going to hate me, but I always notice white gold on the wrist over stainless steel

It has a much warmer tone and a "deeper" look to the metal. I definitely get what you're saying about the masses though . At least personally, I just buy to enjoy for myself only, but there is a certain prestige factor some enjoy. I personally like the WG Roman SkyDweller the best, but my money will be going to a SS model
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:00 AM   #52
gossbeau
Banned

Quote:
so what is it now....

So I am wondering what Platona owners would think of a SS, more affordable version coming out with blue glacier dial?
The WG and SS versions Sky-Dwellers have the same configuration. Maybe with a different shade of white for the dial but still.
It seems like I m going to lose money again.
Old 23 March 2017, 08:04 AM   #53
nathanield
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
It's a physically huge, honking watch. You'd have to have all new dress shirts made to wear it therewith.
At least steel is a bit lighter. I think this watch is almost better is steel for that reason.
nathanield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:05 AM   #54
ACF1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DD40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
To be one of the first of 5,294 threads about the TT SkyDweller, and specifically the steel and WG Bezel (for around $14K), I am wondering... is this release in actuality a sign of desperation from Rolex?

First, I absolutely love it and expect a lot of TRFers will be picking one up. More power to you and congrats in advance I actually would consider it myself.... but moving on - was Rolex FORCED to do this because of slumping Swiss Watch sales? WOULD they have taken a model we all expected to be PM only, (like the Day-Date) and turn it in to a SS if sales were steady?

My personal opinion, is no, that the SD was originated to be an all and only PM model that Rolex re thought after three years of steadily falling numbers. I believe they will sell a lot, and it is a fantastic watch, I am just wondering what caused this (pretty drastic) release? Or, am I wrong, and the plan all along was to release it in TT and SS?

What say you TRF?
Desperation???... I don´t think so.. I prefer to say Evolution
ACF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:27 AM   #55
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
It is the most desirable watch in the Rolex catalog imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:29 AM   #56
www777
"TRF" Member

Is this really going to be 14K? Isn't the new sea dweller around 11K for for an extra 3,000 you get a partially gold watch with a more complicated movement?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:32 AM   #57
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Its the same reason when they jumped steps and released ceramic Daytona in SS first over all PM. I think it is due to slump in sales. Better than reducing prices like other brands and cutting corners in base models and introducing entry level models such as JLC, VC etc.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:35 AM   #58
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
Problem is the gold models are way too expensive.
So Rolex did this to boost sales. And it will sell. But SS will kill off the PM models.

Hmm, a DD 40 in SS with that green dial at 10k would be nice for 2018 ;)
Old 23 March 2017, 08:37 AM   #59
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Don't think it is a sign of desperation but a sign of a company that is adapting to the market place. The fact is that the Sky-D was an awfully slow seller for Rolex. So now they introduce in SS and and can monetize the movement.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:37 AM   #60
Xerxes77
Banned

IMO things are like this:
Many other big brands(PP, AP) are models who in PM cost very much but in SS are acceptable. Let's take AP RO who are made in rg and cost 40000€ but they made and SS version who cost around 20000€.
On the other side if we look closely we see are many details who are not on SS or TT models.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote