The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 May 2021, 01:06 PM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/

Has anyone purchased a Rolex off of this site?

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/

I was curious how it works.

I see this Rolex GMT set a 1 dollar and bidding ends in 4 hours. Obviously no one is going to sell a Rolex for a dollar. Not sure how this really works.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...aster-ii-16713
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 01:13 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

it'll be a last minute rush of bids. There may also be a reserve set.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Borrowed from elsewhere on the internet.

"Liveauctioneers is a service that sends a person with a keyboard and a camera to auctions across the world. They make money by charging a additional fee for your purchase. You must sign up to Liveauctioneers first than ask for approval for each auction you want to bid in. For some auction houses you just have to "click for approval" others want additional items like a scanned license or a credit card. They're two ways to bid on an item. One way is simply place your maximum bid (after your approval) and wait until the auction is over. When you place a bid this way, you don't see other online bids and you can't see the maximum bid some one placed (like on eBay). You can bid online up until the real live auction starts then online bidding closes down. You only win the item this way if you outbid all online bidders plus outbid the bidders that are physically present at the auction. Please read the disclaimer for each auction, some auction houses can see your maximum bid and retain the right to manipulate the auction so you pay the maximum right away instead of a stepwise fashion such that you can win the item without paying the maximum. Its kind of shady. The other way to bid is to join the live stream of the auction. You watch the auction on line and click a button to bid. The liveauctioneer employee will receive a notification and bid for you. I like this way because no one knows your max bid and you can win an item below the suggested price. For example, if the item is suggested to be worth $1000 and no one bids, the auctioneer will start dropping the price until someone bids. There is a warning, the bidders physically present at the auction have a distinct advantage vs. the liveauctioneer bidders. They pay less buyers fee and they don't have to worry about shipping and handling. Remember this when bidding."

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2021, 08:30 AM   #4
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari_2 View Post
Borrowed from elsewhere on the internet.

"Liveauctioneers is a service that sends a person with a keyboard and a camera to auctions across the world. They make money by charging a additional fee for your purchase. You must sign up to Liveauctioneers first than ask for approval for each auction you want to bid in. For some auction houses you just have to "click for approval" others want additional items like a scanned license or a credit card. They're two ways to bid on an item. One way is simply place your maximum bid (after your approval) and wait until the auction is over. When you place a bid this way, you don't see other online bids and you can't see the maximum bid some one placed (like on eBay). You can bid online up until the real live auction starts then online bidding closes down. You only win the item this way if you outbid all online bidders plus outbid the bidders that are physically present at the auction. Please read the disclaimer for each auction, some auction houses can see your maximum bid and retain the right to manipulate the auction so you pay the maximum right away instead of a stepwise fashion such that you can win the item without paying the maximum. Its kind of shady. The other way to bid is to join the live stream of the auction. You watch the auction on line and click a button to bid. The liveauctioneer employee will receive a notification and bid for you. I like this way because no one knows your max bid and you can win an item below the suggested price. For example, if the item is suggested to be worth $1000 and no one bids, the auctioneer will start dropping the price until someone bids. There is a warning, the bidders physically present at the auction have a distinct advantage vs. the liveauctioneer bidders. They pay less buyers fee and they don't have to worry about shipping and handling. Remember this when bidding."

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
So a Rolex must have a reserve set.

It seems like an annoying and frustrating way to purchase a quality watch. Unless you're getting a significant discount doing it this way (which I doubt you are), I'd prefer to just buy it directly from a dealer. Why mess around with this hoopla?

Unless they're sourcing these watches through estate sales and selling them cheaply.
Old 9 May 2021, 08:33 AM   #5
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

So this watch sold for 23k. There's certainly no bargain there.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...aster-ii-16713

In fact, that's a huge rip off.

You could get the same watch through HQMilton for half the price. Not to mention, you're dealing with a reputable dealer:
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ple-dial-A4239

Not following this at all.
Old 9 May 2021, 08:51 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

It’s an opportunity to be fleeced. There’s no transparency. This means shill bidding, bait & switch and dealmaking misconduct is possible.

Aside from OP’s observations, have you noticed that the same photo’s are used to represent multiple auctions? Obviously not photo’s of the actual items when they are recycled.

I’d steer clear of this site for purchasing a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:25 PM   #7
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It’s an opportunity to be fleeced. There’s no transparency. This means shill bidding, bait & switch and dealmaking misconduct is possible.

Aside from OP’s observations, have you noticed that the same photo’s are used to represent multiple auctions? Obviously not photo’s of the actual items when they are recycled.

I’d steer clear of this site for purchasing a watch.

Hmm. I wonder if perhaps they had some green laundry to wash?
Old 9 May 2021, 01:27 PM   #8
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Too little volume to be a worthy way of money laundering.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote