The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2021, 11:30 PM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Proper fitting screwdriver

Need some information;
Can anyone tell me the proper size screwdriver to fit the band link screws on the Omega Seamaster 300M. Planet ocean and 300M chrono's?

I would like to get a high quality screw driver so I can remove\add links in my watches. A size and brand recommendation would be much appreciated.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:37 PM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
That's a good question, Wayne. I sized my Planet Ocean with a screwdriver bit from an electronics repair tool kit. I was able to carefully do it without causing any damage and can look into this later for you if we don't get confirmation of the actual watchmakers tool (size) required.

Keep in mind that these watches still have a pin holding the links together. Albeit a very thick, strong one, you'll notice it doesn't come apart after removing the screw on each side. You must take a pin, small screwdriver head, or anything that won't scratch to push the metal bar out then the links will come apart.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:48 PM   #3
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
That's a good question, Wayne. I sized my Planet Ocean with a screwdriver bit from an electronics repair tool kit. I was able to carefully do it without causing any damage and can look into this later for you if we don't get confirmation of the actual watchmakers tool (size) required.

Keep in mind that these watches still have a pin holding the links together. Albeit a very thick, strong one, you'll notice it doesn't come apart after removing the screw on each side. You must take a pin, small screwdriver head, or anything that won't scratch to push the metal bar out then the links will come apart.
Okay, Good to know. So screw on both sides holding a floating pin in place. I think I know what you mean. I have jewelers screw drivers. But there poor quality and sizes are unknown to me. I want to get a really good one that fits like it should. I have also heard you should loc-tite the screws in place?
Old 8 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #4
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
I prefer nail glue to loctite as it is clear and holds well but breaks loose easily...it only requires a small drop on the end of a toothpick or similar ;)
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:48 AM   #5
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Those are very tiny screws with slots that are not too wide. I have a Bergeon Kit that has fine tapered screw drivers ranging from 0.80 mm to 1.60 mm. You have to go with the size that will not overlap the slot and scratch the link. As I recall probably a 1.20 mm or 1.40 mm would be best.

I prefer to remove only one screw per link and not both sides unless absolutely necessary. No need to mess with both screws and if you tap the link and flex it around the pin that holds the 2 links together will eventually come out. This way there are no tell tale marks left on at least one of the screws.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 08:22 AM   #6
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Those are very tiny screws with slots that are not too wide. I have a Bergeon Kit that has fine tapered screw drivers ranging from 0.80 mm to 1.60 mm. You have to go with the size that will not overlap the slot and scratch the link. As I recall probably a 1.20 mm or 1.40 mm would be best.

I prefer to remove only one screw per link and not both sides unless absolutely necessary. No need to mess with both screws and if you tap the link and flex it around the pin that holds the 2 links together will eventually come out. This way there are no tell tale marks left on at least one of the screws.
This is an excellent suggestion. The size I used from the other tool kit was 1.3 mm. If you have the full set listed above you'll be all set to do this.

With regards to removing one screw only, I had no luck with this for my new Planet Ocean Chronograph a few months ago. I tried everything to get it out but had to remove both screws and push a pin / screwdriver bit in there to force it out.

It's not friction fit as tight as the pin and tube system but in my instance it didn't fall right out despite trying to shake it out with both screws removed.
Old 8 May 2021, 10:08 AM   #7
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Bergeon 1.6mm
Just bought one myself for the 300M, fits absolutely perfect.
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:10 PM   #8
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post
Bergeon 1.6mm
Just bought one myself for the 300M, fits absolutely perfect.
Thanks for the information, I will try and find one on line.
Old 8 May 2021, 12:16 PM   #9
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Ordered!!!!
Old 8 May 2021, 01:03 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Which screwdriver did you order?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:18 PM   #11
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Which screwdriver did you order?
Bergeon 55-686-6899-AT-160 with spare blades.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:38 PM   #12
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

I purchased this one which works perferctly with my Moonwatch and Seamaster 57 Trilogy bracelet so I'm guessing the slotted screw head size on yours will be the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiha-9601...-/231757674013
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:19 AM   #13
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoak View Post
I purchased this one which works perferctly with my Moonwatch and Seamaster 57 Trilogy bracelet so I'm guessing the slotted screw head size on yours will be the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiha-9601...-/231757674013
I asked my AD what he used, 1.6 is what he suggested. and mentioned a 1.4 would also work. I have not received it yet to check the fit. Will post a update when I do.
Old 11 May 2021, 05:11 AM   #14
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

My decent quality 1.2 mm screwdriver from a a smartphone repair kit I bought at Walmart fit well for my Speedy and AT (as well as pretty much all my screw link watches). I also have some cheap jewelers screwdriver sets, but they are almost worthless for this application (to narrow gauge and thus break easily). The bigger challenge on recent Omega watches is not the screwdriver size, but how much Loctite they coat the screw with from factory. Talk about scratches and frustration!

I think having one of those slotted square watch bracelet adjustment holders is an important part of the equation. Even with that, I've scratched my Omega screws. You'll need to apply firm vertical downward pressure as you twist the screw. If it doesn't break the seal, don't force it. My local Omega boutique sized my Speedy for me after I stripped the screws; they did the service and gave me new screws for free. I was able to do the AT on my own, but some of the screws have small scratches.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #15
Chivas irons
"TRF" Member

I have the Diver 300m white dial on steel bracelet and found that the Bergeon 1.6mm screwdriver was too small for the full size links. Ironically the half size link worked fine. I could not get the screws out even with heat applied and feared stripping the screws. I bought the Wiha tools 1.8mm screwdriver from amazon and that worked perfectly. No heat applied. Screws loosened easily
Chivas irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:58 AM   #16
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas irons View Post
I have the Diver 300m white dial on steel bracelet and found that the Bergeon 1.6mm screwdriver was too small for the full size links. Ironically the half size link worked fine. I could not get the screws out even with heat applied and feared stripping the screws. I bought the Wiha tools 1.8mm screwdriver from amazon and that worked perfectly. No heat applied. Screws loosened easily
That’s interesting. I confess I only used my Bergeon 1.6mm on the half link. Didn’t even cross my mind that a full link might be different.
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 01:02 PM   #17
Leemichael
"TRF" Member

Food for thought

I tried using the 1.6 Bergeon on my Seamaster and it stripped a screw... I ordered a 1.8 and was able to size my bracelet and get out the stripped screw.
Leemichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 01:04 PM   #18
Leemichael
"TRF" Member

Chivas Irons I had the same experience
Leemichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:00 AM   #19
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Update: resized my 300M. The 1.6 fit perfectly. How ever, My PO clasp screws are to small and had to use the 1.40 which fit perfectly. So I measured the screw heads. Between the PO, 300M's and the AT. The screws are different. Some are 1.4 and some are 1.6. Best to get both, or the 1.4 will work for both I guess.

My PO had loc-tite and was pretty tough to break loose. Glad I had the right one!
Old 13 May 2021, 08:22 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Happy to hear you got it done, Wayne. Thanks for that additional information, I'll have to pick up a proper set as well some day.
Old 13 May 2021, 10:44 AM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Thanks Rommel for the disassembly heads up. Piece of cake.
Fits super comfortable now. Can't even tell I'm wearing except for staring at it every 30 seconds or so.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:51 AM   #22
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not surprised, Omega is among the best and I'm happy to have a couple in my collection. This brand and certain models alone are worth collecting, they're great.

I bet your nephew is enjoying the Breitling! The watches you currently have suit you even better in my opinion.

Will you be adding anything else to your collection? Hard to imaging wanting anything else given what's already there but it's tempting sometimes.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:53 PM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I'm not surprised, Omega is among the best and I'm happy to have a couple in my collection. This brand and certain models alone are worth collecting, they're great.

I bet your nephew is enjoying the Breitling! The watches you currently have suit you even better in my opinion.

Will you be adding anything else to your collection? Hard to imaging wanting anything else given what's already there but it's tempting sometimes.
Yes. I want to add a Omega dress watch. Looking at a 38 PM AT, but have seen a couple of DeVille's that have peaked my interest and one constellation. So I'm going to look next weekend. but I will take my time on the selection. Yes the Nephew is ecstatic and still can't believe it. He is definitely aww struck. Grand son's will get there's next month. Along with one of my sons and my daughter in law. I guess I'm Santa Claus this year.
Old 15 May 2021, 12:06 AM   #24
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

That's fantastic, I'm glad to hear! All the more reason to keep buying!
Old 15 May 2021, 06:06 AM   #25
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemichael View Post
I tried using the 1.6 Bergeon on my Seamaster and it stripped a screw... I ordered a 1.8 and was able to size my bracelet and get out the stripped screw.
Very interesting, I do not have a 1.80 currently. I found the 1.6 to work pretty well with not much room left on either side. I was going on what my AD told me, But you have peaked my interest. I will order a 1.80 and check the fit. Thanks for posting!