The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2021, 06:11 AM   #1
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Daytona issue.....

So I got a black ceramic daytona, new from my AD in Feb of 2018. I have only worn it a handful of times. I went to get it out of my watch winder the other day, and I noticed it was not running. I went to wind and I wound it multiple times and nothing......I shook it and the the seconds hand finally began to run. I must of wound the watch 30 times. After a couple hours, it quit working again.

I took it to the AD and the ran it through the tests....checking the pushers and all...everything seemed normal It was running again and a couple hours later, it stopped....I have NEVER dropped it. It basically still looks mint.....off to Dallas it went.....

Anyone have any issues with their daytona or know what might be causing this?? It was quite disappointing and frustrating to say the least.
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:51 AM   #2
msaleem
"TRF" Member

I had a similar problem in 2015 with my sub bought in 2012.

Here’s the exact diagnosis I received:

“As per our conversation, the technician’s findings is that the formulated oils and lubricants which protect the movement parts have dried out, causing the watch to stop. Your watch presently requires a complete service of the movement with new movement parts.”

This is when I was living in Toronto and the total cost was $825.00 + taxes.

It took three weeks and came with a 2-year international warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
msaleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:55 AM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
It was quite disappointing and frustrating to say the least.
That’s the nature of mechanical devices; they sometimes fail. This is what the five year warranty is for.

Being frustrated by it is a waste of energy

P.S. If you would like them to let you know what the fault is, I suggest you ask them up front. More often than not people ask once they receive the watch back, and typically by then it’s too late to get any meaningful answers from the watchmaker fixed it (they see dozens of watches per month, and for the most part the only thing watchmakers care about is fixing the watch, not keeping notes about watches unless asked to).
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:00 AM   #4
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Send it over to RSC. They'll take care of you. :)
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:20 AM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Not to me, these things happen, you see it posted here.

RSC will sort it.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:31 AM   #6
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
You’ve worn it a handful of times in 3+ years, and it has to go to RSC for a warranty repair? You likely wouldn’t have worn it once in the brief time it will be gone. While it’s disappointing, it hardly seems like a big inconvenience to you.

I had to have an issue taken care of by RSC on my Daytona. I was able to drop it off at the Beverly Hills RSC while in L.A., and although they shipped it to PA for the work, it was back to me 12 days later. I was pretty happy even though I wear the watch every day. It’ll be back before you know it (hopefully).
Old 11 May 2021, 07:33 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Wear it more when it comes back!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:37 AM   #8
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I knew I was gonna get flack for not wearing it much...lol......well we will see when it comes back.
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:08 AM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
Send it over to RSC. They'll take care of you. :)

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Solo118
"TRF" Member

If you don't use it, you lose it.....
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:45 AM   #11
jsonorous
"TRF" Member

This happened to my 2017 Black 116500. Same issue, lost any power reserve. It was under warranty, AD sent it to RSC Dallas and it's been working perfectly since. I asked what they did, AD responded that there were no specifics of the repair from RSC.
jsonorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 11:16 AM   #12
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Same w cars....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 12:49 PM   #13
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Was the winder running the watch or just holding it ?
Old 11 May 2021, 06:26 PM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Same w cars....
Not really true with automatic watches, fwiw. The car analogy doesn't fit here. I hate this type of mindless, knee jerk comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Was the winder running the watch or just holding it ?
I previously had a watch that died on the winder and I found out the winder was turned off. 60 manual winds and seeing what happens is a good check. My Platona is the most accurate automatic watch I own and has great reserve!!! Also, winders aren't necessarily running enough to maintain a watches needed winding.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:50 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
That’s the nature of mechanical devices; they sometimes fail. This is what the five year warranty is for.

Being frustrated by it is a waste of energy

P.S. If you would like them to let you know what the fault is, I suggest you ask them up front. More often than not people ask once they receive the watch back, and typically by then it’s too late to get any meaningful answers from the watchmaker fixed it (they see dozens of watches per month, and for the most part the only thing watchmakers care about is fixing the watch, not keeping notes about watches unless asked to).
Have to agree Scot and for the life of me just cannot understand the need to keep watches on a machine winder today especially watches like the Daytona.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:02 PM   #16
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
“As per our conversation, the technician’s findings is that the formulated oils and lubricants which protect the movement parts have dried out, causing the watch to stop. Your watch presently requires a complete service of the movement with new movement parts.”

TRANSLATION

The watch was not properly lubricated at the factory when it was brand new, but we will dish out some bs so that you will have to pay for it and think we are doing you a favor.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:24 PM   #17
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I only feel bad that you they couldn’t replace the watch for you. Sorry you’re experiencing this. I had a very similar situation a ss YMIi, luckily it died after a couple days after purchase and they refunded me.

drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:34 PM   #18
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
TRANSLATION

The watch was not properly lubricated at the factory when it was brand new, but we will dish out some bs so that you will have to pay for it and think we are doing you a favor.
The watch at that time had a two year warranty. It survived the warranty period and died in the third year post sale. That’s chargeable unless the manufacturer or retailer offers to foot the bill out of the goodness of their heart. Fortunately the sales warranty is five years now.

The fact that a lot of Rolex watches can go 8/9/10 years before needing a service is completely irrelevant. Once the warranty expires the owner is on the hook for the charge.
Old 11 May 2021, 10:35 PM   #19
msaleem
"TRF" Member

Quote:

TRANSLATION

A very cynical way to live your life. I did not feel they were misleading me …

msaleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 11:57 PM   #20
SN13
"TRF" Member

How would oil be lost on a movement in a temperature controlled environment in an Airtight Oyster Case?

Keeping a watch on a winder for 3 years while you wear it once every 6 months is a great way to apply as much wear and tear as possible to a watch without enjoying it.

It's like keeping your Ferrari running constantly throttled at 5000 RPM in the garage but never driving it.

"But man, when I DO want to drive it, it's going to be all warmed up and READY!"

and then complaining "I only drove it 10 miles! and it needed a full engine rebuild!" . . .

Well, no kidding, you put 26,000 hours of wear on the engine!

Maximum tear, minimum "wear".

Especially for a watch that doesn't even have a DATE complication... Setting it in the morning would take all of 15 seconds.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:32 AM   #21
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
This made me smile , Brutal but totally honest !
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:33 AM   #22
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
How would oil be lost on a movement in a temperature controlled environment in an Airtight Oyster Case?

Keeping a watch on a winder for 3 years while you wear it once every 6 months is a great way to apply as much wear and tear as possible to a watch without enjoying it.

It's like keeping your Ferrari running constantly throttled at 5000 RPM in the garage but never driving it.

"But man, when I DO want to drive it, it's going to be all warmed up and READY!"

and then complaining "I only drove it 10 miles! and it needed a full engine rebuild!" . . .

Especially for a watch that doesn't even have a DATE complication... Setting it in the morning would take all of 15 seconds.
Exactly!
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:37 AM   #23
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post

Desperately need an upvote button
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:50 AM   #24
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
There is no technical or experience-based reason at all to believe that having a watch on a winder has an adverse effect on service interval. I would say that modern lubricants are very unlikely to "dry out" in three years.

I am certainly not at all sure what the explanation is.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:27 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
There is no technical or experience-based reason at all to believe that having a watch on a winder has an adverse effect on service interval. I would say that modern lubricants are very unlikely to "dry out" in three years.

I am certainly not at all sure what the explanation is.
Unlikely to dry out, yes. Impossible, no.

If you're not wearing a watch it will not sustain any wear, if it is on a winder it will.

If you're wearing it 1-2 times a week and put it on a winder for the rest of the week vs just putting it down, your service intervals will be shorter when you're the winder user.

This will be less so on the ball bearing movements like the Daytona, Skydweller, and the 32×× movements, but rotor axle models like we've had the past 50+ years I would not put on a winder.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:13 AM   #26
JEdwardK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C
this thread is making me prepare for the worst
what is a reasonable estimated time of usage before a ceramic Daytona may need to be serviced?

been daily wearing my Daytona for almost 5 years
just take it off and leave it on my nightstand overnight, no winder
JEdwardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:35 AM   #27
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdwardK View Post
this thread is making me prepare for the worst
what is a reasonable estimated time of usage before a ceramic Daytona may need to be serviced?

been daily wearing my Daytona for almost 5 years
just take it off and leave it on my nightstand overnight, no winder
If it's running it's running the same as whether it's on a winder on your wrist or on a night stand. I wouldn't worry about it needing greater servicing; typical service interval is about 10 years. Five years is not uncommon. The biggest issue per Bas is the need for replacement of gaskets as they degrade from UV.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:44 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #29
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The fact that a lot of Rolex watches can go 8/9/10 years before needing a service is completely irrelevant.
How do you explain that some watches can go 10yrs with the factory lubrication and some can only go 3yrs ? Bearing in mind that the lubrication is applied by an individual watchmaker?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:22 AM   #30
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
How do you explain that some watches can go 10yrs with the factory lubrication and some can only go 3yrs ? Bearing in mind that the lubrication is applied by an individual watchmaker?
I’m not purporting to offer an explanation. But since you ask, excluding user error or mistreatment, material defect and or human error in assembly happens, and will never be reduced to zero.

My point is that every year after the warranty period your watch functions normally is a bonus, not an entitlement.

There’s a reason the warranty is five years and not ten, or fifteen. And that is that they have reasonably concluded that sufficiently few watches stop within that timeframe for reasons attributable to the manufacturer.