The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 May 2021, 11:58 PM   #1
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Which trends do you guys see in the Rolex vintage world currently?

I know that us vintage lovers might not be the most trend sensitive people but I felt the urge to see which trends you guys are seeing in the vintage stratosphere...might not even be any...?

Some random questions on top of my head;

-Matte or glossy dial?...Depends on the watch probably, huh? : )
(In my own low key Datejust world where I like to be it seems like glossy stuff is on the rise, but that might just be me : ) )

-Are distressed straps still a thing?

-RolliWorks/LAWW “renovations” getting more and more accepted?

-160X’s price increase lately. Are “smaller vintage sizes” of watches finally getting its well deserved recognition which leads to the price increase?

-What else?!?
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:25 AM   #2
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
I know that us vintage lovers might not be the most trend sensitive people but I felt the urge to see which trends you guys are seeing in the vintage stratosphere...might not even be any...?

Some random questions on top of my head;

-Matte or glossy dial?...Depends on the watch probably, huh? : )
(In my own low key Datejust world where I like to be it seems like glossy stuff is on the rise, but that might just be me : ) )

-Are distressed straps still a thing?

-RolliWorks/LAWW “renovations” getting more and more accepted?

-160X’s price increase lately. Are “smaller vintage sizes” of watches finally getting its well deserved recognition which leads to the price increase?

-What else?!?

Things do cycle and change. From my perspective it seems that vintage gold pieces are getting more attention than they did just a few years ago. Also the two tone pieces seem to have been rediscovered and appreciated again by a broader audience.

40mm is the sweet spot for the vintage pieces for many and 36mm the lower limit. There are some gorgeous 34mm pieces but for me too small of a case to consider.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:46 AM   #3
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPDK View Post
Things do cycle and change. From my perspective it seems that vintage gold pieces are getting more attention than they did just a few years ago. Also the two tone pieces seem to have been rediscovered and appreciated again by a broader audience.

40mm is the sweet spot for the vintage pieces for many and 36mm the lower limit. There are some gorgeous 34mm pieces but for me too small of a case to consider.
True! I have actually seen som 1601/3 and 16013 heading close to 5k US...1803 DD is another story, a head only piece could be listed (and probably sold) at the same price that one with a nice president bracelet was sold at a while back...
Old 12 May 2021, 03:48 AM   #4
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

I purchased a head only 1969 YG Wideboy a year or two ago. Took me over a year to find a worthy President bracelet to put it on. Bracelet cost almost as much as the watch head did!
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:55 AM   #5
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I purchased a head only 1969 YG Wideboy a year or two ago. Took me over a year to find a worthy President bracelet to put it on. Bracelet cost almost as much as the watch head did!
I hear ya! If you ever can find one that is not stretched out!
Old 12 May 2021, 04:34 AM   #6
Nick9
"TRF" Member

No question that prices for four and five-digit Rolex watches have gone up substantially in the last couple of years, including the so-called smaller sizes (34mm). Clearly these watches are getting more and more popular, and of course the price point is way below the modern equivalent that often looks very similar.

And why not? They typically look great, run well, are easy to get serviced, etc.

Going up “substantially” is not the same as saying “joining the madness on price increases for vintage Subs and GMTs”. Let us all be thankful for that.

I also believe distressed or at least vintage-looking straps are still a thing, yes.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:53 AM   #7
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The trend im seeing the most is laser welding vintage cases and then not disclosing it when the watch is being sold. So aggravating!
Old 12 May 2021, 07:55 AM   #8
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Beyond the prices going up, up, up. The biggest trend I see are the perception of people that every watch needs to be perfect in order to be worth owning or enjoying. Tired of comments by some many, who don't know, that something is fake or "Franken."

If a 5513 had a new bezel insert installed and after 60 years of service was polished once or twice at service. .. . SO WHAT?
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:40 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Fewer really good examples on the market as people squirrel them away in their collections.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:40 AM   #10
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Beyond the prices going up, up, up. The biggest trend I see are the perception of people that every watch needs to be perfect in order to be worth owning or enjoying. Tired of comments by some many, who don't know, that something is fake or "Franken."

If a 5513 had a new bezel insert installed and after 60 years of service was polished once or twice at service. .. . SO WHAT?
I think most collectors have their own checklist for condition and period correctness. Personally I would rather have one excellent, honestly original piece than several good-but-not-great pieces for the same amount of money.

The valuation gap is growing for certain references at a top-top level of original preservation. For some that may not matter, but will make a difference if tastes change and you ever desire to trade or sell.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:49 AM   #11
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:

I agree. I had always really liked the idea of getting a vintage 6694 and/or an Air King from the 1960s and early 1970s to have fun with. After buying my wife the new 34mm Oyster Perpetual this weekend, however, I tried it on for size and I just think 34mm is too small for me. I have to stick with 36mm and up, which is going to limit the options for some of these vintage finds.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:54 AM   #12
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
fewer really good examples on the market as people squirrel them away in their collections.
1000%
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:15 AM   #13
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Fewer really good examples on the market as people squirrel them away in their collections.
I think another underlying factor is that as the watches age, even good examples will start to deteriorate unless 100% a safe queen. Just something we all must remember. Conditions will generally get worse for the static vintage era (50-70's) going forward.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:28 AM   #14
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

Trends?
Prices going up and the world full of “experts”
watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote