The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2021, 12:38 AM   #31
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

If "presence" is important to you, the 214270 may not be for you.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:41 AM   #32
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

I have 214270 MkII and 124060 and can’t agree more. Exp is my first Rolex but after wearing the Sub first time, Exp lost its charm to me. It is a good watch, it is a great watch, but it is not a Sub. I passed the same path you passed, watched all those youtube channels, impressed by “those guys who have a large collection but still praise Exp” and then convinced myself I don’t need a Sub or GMT, I will pass all those unnecessary buying and selling and go straight to the end watch, GADA Exp. Yes it has a slow release charm but it is boring, it is not proportioned as well as 36mm and it cannot be “one and only Rolex” to me. New sub is everything that I could ask for, until they re-make 40mm polar Exp ii.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:49 AM   #33
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Nowaday the perfect Rolex is the one you have
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:51 AM   #34
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I got mine just months before the market went insane. I had about $15k to spend on a watch. The Sub is iconic but I see them everywhere. The BLNR was in my last two but ultimately a little blingy for me and I just don’t “need” a GMT.

The Explorer MKII was perfect. Tough, reliable, sporty but with a simple elegance. I’m in San Diego so pretty much live in shorts and a polo. The Explorer dresses down easily. I also wear a suit and a tux with some regularity and the Explorer always compliments either. To each their own but the Explorer is my do everything watch!
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:08 AM   #35
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I can't wait for Archie Luxury to tell me what I should buy next
Old 12 May 2021, 03:10 AM   #36
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknit View Post
I've owned both 214270 mark 1 and mark 2 in the past and traded them for a Hulk and Pepsi and I have to say that I am so much happier. I bought into the Explorer due to advice from "YouTube gurus" that the watch is "the only one you need" or the "perfect one watch collection". I have to say, it's all BS. The watch is boring and the only thing good about it is the clasp.

Maybe it's just me but I've found that the ultimate Rolex model is the Submariner. Not even the GMT Master or Daytona.
LOL...OK. So, ignore YouTube gurus. Listen to you and your advice and preferences. Got it!!
Old 12 May 2021, 03:21 AM   #37
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
TGV, haha. That's time you never get back.
Yes! And the same goes for that irritating full-of-himself strap-seller guy at Bark & Jack. I stopped watching stuff like this long ago.
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:59 AM   #38
MountainDial21
"TRF" Member

Yep, blaming watch influencers for loving a watch that YOU didn’t end up connecting with is silly. The bigger lesson, though, is that as individuals own tastes change. It’s why watches is such a deep (and expensive) hobby. Very few enthusiasts buy one “grail” watch and they’re done for a lifetime. We get exposed to new things, trade pieces, and sometimes even begin where we started. It’s a fun journey.
MountainDial21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:31 AM   #39
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
Yes! And the same goes for that irritating full-of-himself strap-seller guy at Bark & Jack. I stopped watching stuff like this long ago.
You Mean.....the guy who talks fast for 5 words....then dramatic pause....between each bit of speaking....to try and sound....like....a...thoughful philosophical orator....who is now selling....coffee?!
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:44 AM   #40
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyyy View Post
You Mean.....the guy who talks fast for 5 words....then dramatic pause....between each bit of speaking....to try and sound....like....a...thoughful philosophical orator....who is now selling....coffee?!
I don’t know many of the you tubers but I know exactly who you mean buy that post
Ha ha.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:48 AM   #41
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Many people are unable to make their own life decisions and have to be told what to do.

Such a shame.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:59 AM   #42
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Well, you learned your lesson and no one got pregnant.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:35 AM   #43
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Finally some true words about explorer. i have sold mine about 3 months of ownership and haven’t looked back. such a boring piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:01 AM   #44
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryguo View Post
Finally some true words about explorer. i have sold mine about 3 months of ownership and haven’t looked back. such a boring piece

Thats like saying a classic black T-shirt is boring because it isn't red enough...and you like red.

Not everyone wants a peacock on their wrist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:05 AM   #45
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
I've owned both 214270 mark 1 and mark 2 in the past and traded them for a Hulk and Pepsi and I have to say that I am so much happier. I bought into the Explorer due to advice from "YouTube gurus" that the watch is "the only one you need" or the "perfect one watch collection". I have to say, it's all BS. The watch is boring and the only thing good about it is the clasp.

Maybe it's just me but I've found that the ultimate Rolex model is the Submariner. Not even the GMT Master or Daytona.

Submariner for me too...

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:13 AM   #46
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Just goes to show that talking watch heads are often worthless. Glad to see that you've found your own tastes.

IMHO, I don't think the hulk or pepsi are GADA watches. Of course, depends on where you're going all the time.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 02:08 PM   #47
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Your fault for listening to others, man up and make your own decisions instead of following youtube, forum, and reddit sheep. How hard is it to shop for a watch that people need to overanalyze, watch videos, and ask strangers for opinions? I admit I watch videos too but mostly for curiosity, see what's new, and general love of the hobby. NOT to make purchasing/buying decisions.

Also the EXP is a great watch, not boring at all, it has it all besides a ceramic sports bezel and a qualified step up from the OP. Personally, I would own one in a multi watch collection but not my one and only. It's a great one watch daily if you are the low key type.
To be fair, these days watching YouTube videos is the only way to even see some Rolexes. I'd love to see some in person, but the shelves are empty and have been for a long time.

My assessment (from watching videos) is that the Exp is perfect (even for one watch, especially). I've been waiting since Sept for the 39mm Exp and now that ship has sailed. That being said, my obsession is based on videos and photos. I've never seen a MkII in person, saw the MkI... but I think the Explorer, in general, is ideal, more so than any current Sub. I am low-key.

I'm would entertain the new 36mm if I could see it in person and try it on.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:48 PM   #48
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I am good with my Explorer 1 MK2 39mm and I have yet to watch a Youtube video about it.

Old 12 May 2021, 06:07 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Many people are unable to make their own life decisions and have to be told what to do.

Such a shame.
Well today thats getting more true every day, many have lost the power to think for themselves and rely on so called social media. Which now should be called mostly un-social media, and the like of Youtube to make there minds up for them. The more the hype platforms like this generate many buy just to wear the hype.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:24 PM   #50
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux66 View Post
Another phrase I hear on YouTube that makes me laugh, is “Perfect starter Rolex” as if buying the one you really like immediately eg. Daytona, DD40, Pepsi etc etc will be a mistake somehow and that you need to ‘learn’ about Rolex first by buying a simpler cheaper model. What utter BS! There’s no mystery with a Rolex - you see it, you learn it’s features, you like it, you get it! There is no rite of passage to take. You don’t need an OP, Exp1 or 90s DateJust before you can ‘fully appreciate’ the one you really like.

Rant over!
Interesting insight!
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:16 PM   #51
pikers
"TRF" Member

If I had to choose one watch out of my entire collection (both Rolex and other brands) to wear for the rest of my life it would be the 214270, hands down. It’s just a great all around watch. Yes it’s “boring” but that also means it’s versatile and if we’re being honest here most Rolex models could be considered “boring”.

pikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:44 AM   #52
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

This thread is full with ego masturbation, shaming others deciding based on the decisions that they make after youtube videos and social media. But here is the question, if you cannot try the watch yourself, or even see it in person, how can you decide for yourself?

Feeling is more important to me than the looks, even if I can try the watch 5 min under jewelers light, it might not be enough for me to capture how it feels on the wrist. Youtube and social media is not an enemy and although that some of them doesn't speak for you, you can still capture some information.

The problem is holy grailisation of some watches, ridiculous tactics sharing of buying starter Rolex many pointed out above. Exp is a victim here, maybe because it is easier to get than others in the lineup and the value in the secondary market is lower so it is easier to keep than flip (after all youtube is a business for them and they need new watches for content).

To me, Exp is the gateway drug to Rolex if you start with it, it doesn't satisfy the Rolex itch as good as others. It can be the end watch after experiencing returning bezels, gmt hands, chronos, day-date functionalites, a simple three hander that is super legible, thin and light and versatile. But if you are a one watch guy or one Rolex guy, it is not the best option to start with.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 01:11 AM   #53
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
This thread doesn't make any sense
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 01:19 AM   #54
tom1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 114270
Quote:
The YouTube gurus are people like TGV and Bark & Jack. They shill the Explorer no tomorrow
Yeah but only the 36mm (1)14270, not the 39mm 214270. So the OP couldn't have got his advice from them.

I like the 36mm Ex1. Sub and GMT are all right but too big for my wrist.
tom1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:35 AM   #55
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Likewise, I became exceptionally bored of my mk2 214270 after a couple of months. The dial was dead/lifeless, and weirdly I now realise with hindsight that I much prefer the white gold 396 markers. I get that the lumed numbers are a throwback to the earlier Explorer models with white 369, but to me the lumed 369 lack elegance/finesse. But that’s just my subjective view.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:07 AM   #56
Lithographica
"TRF" Member

You realize this is all subjective, right? There is no "ultimate" Rolex watch. If Bark & Jack tells you the Explorer is the best watch, he means it's the best watch for him. You can't call BS because you don't agree. It sounds like you put too much stock in what social media personalities say about watches.
Lithographica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:27 AM   #57
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Purely subjective. I sold my 214270 and it's the only watch I regret missing. I just don't get the hate after you listened to some youtuber. Enjoy your pepsi and hulk, I'm sure people get the same feeling with their Explorers.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:41 AM   #58
ervelo
"TRF" Member

Different strokes for different folks. At least you can walk away and say that you were fortunate enough to get to experience several Rolex watches and eventually find one that tickles your fancy.

It's quite the opposite for me; I initially had a sub and thought the Explorer was too boring. But there's something about the understated simplicity of the Explorer that just keeps pulling me back to it.
ervelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:46 PM   #59
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
I thought I was alone! I, too, find Adrian quite arrogant. I stopped watching long ago when he was buying watches then flipping them only to give him more of an excuse to drone on and on about his Explorer. We get it - you like the Explorer - what else can you offer the hobby?
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:55 PM   #60
superspectral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffel View Post
I can’t stand Bark and Jack or TGV, those guys don’t have a clue and make me cringe.
Some of these influencers seem not to be as large wristed as I am. And of course, historically, the average stature of men has increased throughout the past 100 years. There are some for whom a 36 mm watch is proportionally well sized. I enjoy watching many of the youtubers, and while their advice is interesting, I just keep in mind they may have small wrists. I can't get a 36 mm Rolex with a bracelet over my hand. Even at 41 mm I need an extra link.
superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote