The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2021, 12:01 AM   #1
tigerlam92
"TRF" Member

Taking pictures to archive the "papers"

Did a quick search and didn't really see this discussion.

In my past, honestly, I haven't really care too much about this and still not caring too much as my watches are purchased to wear. Nowadays original box and paper is becoming much more important so when I pass my watches onto my kids it is better to have it as a set. Also, if it get lost or stolen, wondering if it is good to prove that once it was a full set and I had the paper.

Are people here taking pictures of their papers or warranty cards just for the record for archiving or does it even matter.

thanks,
tigerlam92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:05 AM   #2
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I’m just here waiting to see Padi’s reply to this
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #3
tigerlam92
"TRF" Member

Haha, I could imagine there will be some funny and polarizing response which is fine. :)

I haven't done it yet but just wondering.
Old 13 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlam92 View Post

In my past, honestly, I haven't really care too much about this and still not caring too much as my watches are purchased to wear. Nowadays original box and paper is becoming much more important so when I pass my watches onto my kids it is better to have it as a set. Also, if it get lost or stolen, wondering if it is good to prove that once it was a full set and I had the paper.

Are people here taking pictures of their papers or warranty cards just for the record for archiving or does it even matter.

thanks,
Short answer no for me as today these so called papers are far easier to fake than the watches. And having these so called boxes, or papers/cards etc, dont always prove authenticity or ownership of any watch..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I do because I'm nerdy and I like to catalogue the whole experience. Also for my kids as they will need some clues as to how to sell these things when I'm gone.

Any new watch I take a photo of the documents, card, serial number etc. Then I give the box a number and put it in storage and usually never retrieve it.

With that digital note I will keep things next to it, like reminders to service, yearly time keeping check, any additions or changes, notes about the movement, quirks of the watch, thoughts, memorable photos etc. Basically a history of the watch.

I then know which box to retrieve if I need anything from it. Highly unlikely to sell any watches, all being well, so the documentation process is more for order than anything else.

The watch is taken elsewhere and left in the safe. I choose 2 watches for the weekly normally and bring them home.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 01:28 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I do as with the invoices as well. Carry them on my phone so i can prove to customs vat has been paid
Old 13 May 2021, 01:49 AM   #7
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I do because I'm nerdy and I like to catalogue the whole experience. Also for my kids as they will need some clues as to how to sell these things when I'm gone.

Any new watch I take a photo of the documents, card, serial number etc. Then I give the box a number and put it in storage and usually never retrieve it.

With that digital note I will keep things next to it, like reminders to service, yearly time keeping check, any additions or changes, notes about the movement, quirks of the watch, thoughts, memorable photos etc. Basically a history of the watch.

I then know which box to retrieve if I need anything from it. Highly unlikely to sell any watches, all being well, so the documentation process is more for order than anything else.

The watch is taken elsewhere and left in the safe. I choose 2 watches for the weekly normally and bring them home.

Quote:

thanks,

Thanks for the question, and I’m adding the detailed reply that @bp1000 offered.

Notwithstanding the other comment in context of storing all the stuff - This digital memorialization should be done.

Perhaps tangentially for the inheriting generation, but more importantly for a loss. Loss by fire, loss by flood, loss by theft and any other calamity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 01:53 AM   #8
1665fan
"TRF" Member

A photocopy of papers won’t help the value....only the real card or papers help...waste of time IMO
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:35 AM   #9
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Personal choice:
I have my iPhone. It has a camera. I have room on free sites ( email, Google drive, etc etc) and gigs of room in my iPhone.

I take picture of things all the time , screen shot of the order I just put in, ups receipt of package I just shipped , etc.

It is a good idea to take picture of the recipes snd cards etc. for your jewelry and watches. Why not? It can help if there is a fire or theft or loss or ... it doesn’t cost you anything to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:37 AM   #10
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
The first thing I do with a new watch is photograph it, the receipt, the papers and any hang tags, individually and collectively.

Having spoken with my insurance company this was their advice and acts as proof of purchase in the event I have to unfortunately make a claim.

I also store receipts, cards and boxes separately.

A bit OTT but then I have spent hard earned savings on these items so why not spend a moment or two getting documentary evidence in case the worst happens.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #11
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Short answer no for me as today these so called papers are far easier to fake than the watches. And having these so called boxes, or papers/cards etc, dont always prove authenticity or ownership of any watch..
I’m with Padi on this one.
Al1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:49 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

No

It does not matter, at least to me
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:50 AM   #13
Deepseadoug
Banned

Sales slip,box, and all paperwork get a snap shot and put away in a general area away from where the watches are. Ad usually sends an appraisal that gets a quick photo copy and placed with the heap and I keep the original elsewhere. I have a stickered Daytona that’s a safe Queen and that also has a note with it that says, worth way more than 12,400, google david sw for market price before selling.
Deepseadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:00 AM   #14
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadoug View Post
Sales slip,box, and all paperwork get a snap shot and put away in a general area away from where the watches are. Ad usually sends an appraisal that gets a quick photo copy and placed with the heap and I keep the original elsewhere. I have a stickered Daytona that’s a safe Queen and that also has a note with it that says, worth way more than 12,400, google david sw for market price before selling.

That made ma laugh hard! Not a bad idea tho!

Worth waaaaaaaaaay more than $12,400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:07 AM   #15
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I store my watches that are not worn in protective cases but usually not ones supplied by the watch makers.
they are all different colours and patterns.
i photo my watch with the case it have been allocated to.
I photo the documents, receipt etc and store all the digital photos in a file.

I do this with any items of value that may also "Go missing" for my insurance.

That way there can be little or no arguement about the validity of my ownership of an item.

the case helps me find the watch i am looking for nas it is unique.

The original boxes are all labelled as to which is for which watch as spare links etc are in them.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:32 AM   #16
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I actually went a step further. I received a GMT Master 1675 TT root beer from my Dad in the 1980s and it has a Tiffany & Co. stamp. He purchased it new from Tiffany in the early 70s. Box and papers all gone, and knowing my Dad he probably walked out of the place with it on his wrist and didn't look back. I have graphic skills, and with the Covid shut down and perhaps excessive beer consumption, I put together a little booklet using Photoshop and InDesign. It includes a history of the GMT, a few notable celebrities that made it popular, Rolex specifications, several pictures of me wearing it in the 80s-90s with comments, pictures of the watch from all angles including serial number and model number, all service receipts, a recent service estimate from Rolex, and a description of what I have done recently to restore it at this point (Rolliworks bracelet work, Phillip Ridley service last month). It was mostly for fun as I was researching on TRF and wanted to document the information I was learning. Kinda bored with it at the moment but will eventually add an affidavit from my Dad regarding his purchase history, date he gave it to me, circumstances and whatnot. This is mostly for my kids, actually young adults at this point. I still have all the original documents (nope, not a sales receipt!) in a separate area but thought I would give it an easy to read story. Alcohol. It's a hell of a drug… Oh, and yes, I probably could reproduce a full set of papers and purchase the rest on Fleabay but I have morals, unfortunately…
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:42 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You can take pictures of anything to archive, but you should have a secure archive database.

You can also "photoshop" papers to show that your watch is anything that you want it to be.
Old 13 May 2021, 03:53 AM   #18
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You can take pictures of anything to archive, but you should have a secure archive database.

You can also "photoshop" papers to show that your watch is anything that you want it to be.
You are so right, with photoshop you can do just about anything.

But, you need to be able to prove that you purchased the watch if the worst happens, what would you suggest people do to prove their ownership?

My earlier post details what my insurance company suggested and that is the advice I follow.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:29 AM   #19
tigerlam92
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Quite interesting, looks to be much more leaning on taking the photos than not at least so far who responded to the thread.

I'm also the type that didn't care as much about the box and paper in the beginning. For my first Rolex bought almost BNIB from a friend, after picking it up from servicing which was 12 plus years ago, I wore it straight and left the original empty box and paper in the glove compartment, full set. It sat there for months until someone broke into my car and stole it which was a big surprised. Would have love if I did archive that. This one is one I am keeping for ever and pass on.