The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2021, 04:53 AM   #1
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

Rolex- love hate relationship

Let’s be honest. Rolex makes among the best sports watches, and by best I mean most comfortable and good looking, and fairly durable relative to other brands.

On the other hand I feel like some of their policies are straight up obnoxious. 2 examples immediately come to mind:

1. They would not service my vintage 666 sea dweller unless I let them replace the patina’d dial and pearl, which were “damaged.” Um ok. Replace what made the Daytona the most expensive watch to ever auction? Completely ruin the beauty of a vintage timepiece. It is absurd.

2. if they find even a microscopic ding on the case, which is only visible through a loop, they will note that as evidence of impact during watch service, thereby voiding any warranty of the movement during the warranty period. What???!!! So your incredibly engineered watches are supposed to break if you hit the watch against your desk while typing. It’s just crazy. Anyone with a brain cell would get annoyed by this, at least I think so.

This brand sucks, and I honestly hate that I like them so much. I don’t think they should be pricks just because they can. Seems slightly unnecessary, except of course if the people setting these policies genuinely are pricks, then they can’t help it.
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:09 AM   #2
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
In other news...water is wet :')
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:15 AM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Dude check out AP and then you’ll probably never buy another Rolex unless you find a great Rolex dealer to work with.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

I’ve finally found a great Rolex dealer but I’ve had travel 200 miles as the dealer in my home city presumably have it written in their mission statement that they will strive every working day to provide appalling customer service.

Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #6
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
you're first point, totally get. you would hope there would be more of a respect for the vintage pieces and keeping them as true as possible to the original when service is needed.

the second point, i have not experienced and lord knows i have sent watches in for service with plenty of dings!
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #7
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Welcome to the world of ROLEX. Plenty of other brands out there.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #8
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
duplicate post

Last edited by ny_yeti; 13 May 2021 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: duplicate post
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #9
Tumppi$
"TRF" Member

You know, the "best" is rather subjective thing. In most cases, it's only your personal feeling or mental image. These are good watches indeed, but I still avoid a word "best" personally.
Anyway, these are only small pieces of metal and Rolex is faceless brand, not human being, so no any kind of relationship here. Of course I like some of their watches, but I don't definitely "love" or particularly "hate" them either.

But that servicing policy is bad.
Tumppi$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #10
Tumppi$
"TRF" Member

........ Double.........
Tumppi$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:24 AM   #11
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I hear you and completely can relate with 1st point. Second one, I fortunately have not had the unpleasant experience. And yes, some of their policies are eye rolling, but the alternative is other brands and at this point in my life, I can't wear anything but Rolex

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:25 AM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’ve finally found a great Rolex dealer but I’ve had travel 200 miles as the dealer in my home city presumably have it written in their mission statement that they will strive every working day to provide appalling customer service.

I know that store!
Old 13 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I know that store!

How do you know where I live??? Or are you saying 99.9% of Rolex dealers are w*nkers?

Old 13 May 2021, 05:47 AM   #14
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
How do you know where I live??? Or are you saying 99.9% of Rolex dealers are w*nkers?

Don't know for sure. I have a good one (service anyway) (no watches) but there are several around here that require a portfolio, $200K deposit and a cavity search just to enter the store and be treated rudely. Turned down a DD PM 40 I was treated so bad. Manager approached and asked if he could help. I showed him the money and said I was trying to trade this for that watch, but was treated so badly that I decided against it. I walked out and have yet to return. The manager was having words with the SA as we paused outside the store.
Old 13 May 2021, 05:54 AM   #15
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Honestly, the brand is great but also pretty boring these days. Everyone is clamoring over the same handful of watches, most buyers care more about money / value than the watch function.

I’ve kind of checked out lately. Begging for watches takes the fun out of it. I preferred when everything was available and the gray market was ~80% pricing of msrp. Kept things more focused on the actual watches

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:56 AM   #16
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Honestly, the brand is great but also pretty boring these days. Everyone is clamoring over the same handful of watches, most buyers care more about money / value than the watch function.

I’ve kind of checked out lately. Begging for watches takes the fun out of it. I preferred when everything was available and the gray market was ~80% pricing of msrp. Kept things more focused on the actual watches

+1, yes, I remember the good life. Enjoyed Talking watches and actually buying one you like on the spot.
Old 13 May 2021, 06:00 AM   #17
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarped80 View Post

2. if they find even a microscopic ding on the case, which is only visible through a loop, they will note that as evidence of impact during watch service, thereby voiding any warranty of the movement during the warranty period. What???!!! So your incredibly engineered watches are supposed to break if you hit the watch against your desk while typing. It’s just crazy. Anyone with a brain cell would get annoyed by this, at least I think so.

I hope this isn't a universal RSC policy. That would be quite frustrating
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:06 AM   #18
aayates
"TRF" Member

Are AP sport watches robust? Can they handle golf and the occasional snorkel trip? I thought they are known to be better finished (like PP or VC), but not ready for the hard knocks. I know their water sports watches are rated, but what about "knockability"? Just curious.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:12 AM   #19
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1. They would not service my vintage 666 sea dweller unless I let them replace the patina’d dial and pearl, which were “damaged.” Um ok. Replace what made the Daytona the most expensive watch to ever auction? Completely ruin the beauty of a vintage timepiece. It is absurd.

1. They do it their way. If you want it your way then look elsewhere.

Rolex seem to be well known for not giving a stuff about 'vintage'. They assemble the best watches they can at the time from the best parts they can manufacture (or source, as in the old days). If they can make bits 'better' then they do and if bits get old or broke they get replaced.

2. That does suck a bit but to be fair their price to return a movement, case and bracelet to factory spec is pretty good compared with some. Of course if you just want your newish watch that's still in warranty to start working again and you get charged then that's not so great. Ho hum.

I think if you can call what Rolex do haute horology (I do) then it's HH with a very different philosophy to AP/PP/VC.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:14 AM   #20
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This brand sucks, and I honestly hate that I like them so much.
ok
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:17 AM   #21
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
Are AP sport watches robust? Can they handle golf and the occasional snorkel trip? I thought they are known to be better finished (like PP or VC), but not ready for the hard knocks. I know their water sports watches are rated, but what about "knockability"? Just curious.

I never wear an AP for golf but that’s primarily because people say that no mechanical watch should be worn for golf. APs are waterproof and great in the pool or sea although the water resistance can’t compare to a Submariner unless you consider the Offshore Diver models. I’ve worn an AP, either Royal Oak or Offshore, every day for the last 15 years with zero problems. They are definitely robust watches.
Old 13 May 2021, 09:59 AM   #22
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This is a strange discussion.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:13 AM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
SHOCK-RESISTANCE
A selection of test watches face shock-resistance examinations that are equivalent to 5,000 g (1 g is equal to the force of gravity at the Earth's surface) to ensure our complex mechanical mechanisms are also extraordinarily robust. Not just for everyday use but for active sports such as golf and sailing

From the Omega 300m online Omega ad.
Old 14 May 2021, 08:44 AM   #24
EdwardNorton1963
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Also, Can Rolex be stealthy.

Quote:
Let’s be honest. Rolex makes among the best sports watches, and by best I mean most comfortable and good looking, and fairly durable relative to other brands.

On the other hand I feel like some of their policies are straight up obnoxious. 2 examples immediately come to mind:

This brand sucks, and I honestly hate that I like them so much. I don’t think they should be pricks just because they can. Seems slightly unnecessary, except of course if the people setting these policies genuinely are pricks, then they can’t help it.
This is unfortunately true... Well said my friend. I think if possible its best to ignore the bad things that Rolex encompasses. I think for me I try and look at the good aspects that really set them apart, that eventually cause that struggle. There a saying thats on the tip of my tounge but I cant remember it for the life of me.

This is where I am at with Rolex, I think they are wonderful watches but I can not wear one everyday. I think they are very flashy watches. I have been scouring websites to see some opinions on stealthier watches within the Rolex catalog and have not found to much. I am checking this video premiere out today on stealthy Rolex watches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrTWey9xLqE
Maybe this video might have something to say on this.
EdwardNorton1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:25 AM   #25
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:

Rolex is not here to be your friend.

They don’t care if you like them.

They exist to make watches in the way they consider to be the best (not how you or anyone else on this forum does), and to keep the company going in perpetuity.

The service department exists to keep their watches in the best condition possible, according to the opinion of the company.

They are not there to preserve the value of vintage pieces.

They have no shareholders to answer to.

That’s how it is. If the situation changes drastically, and people suddenly stop buying Rolex watches, their behavior may change as well.

Until then, this is it.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:02 AM   #26
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

1. They would not service my vintage 666 sea dweller unless I let them replace the patina’d dial and pearl, which were “damaged.” (quote)

Well there it is, we will eventually find somewhere else to service our vintage watches.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:56 AM   #27
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
1. They would not service my vintage 666 sea dweller unless I let them replace the patina’d dial and pearl, which were “damaged.” (quote)

Well there it is, we will eventually find somewhere else to service our vintage watches.

That’s why the Philip Ridley’s of the world exist.
Not sure about other brands but if you send in your vintage Speedy to Omega for service they change the dial hands and polishers automatically. Destroying the value of your vintage watch.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:55 AM   #28
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

I guess the source of my initial frustration lies in the fact that I and many are passionate about watches. Rolex makes a great product. Just shame that there is an arrogance from the brand that just feels completely unnecessary. And, some of the policies are blatantly contradictory with how they position themselves. Is that the reality? Yes. Will it change? Probably not.

It was so refreshing to recently purchase a piece from a much smaller brand, Lange. They literally are making me a watch from scratch that they ceased production of a year ago. I know Rolex is way larger and they never would be able to cater to that level of service and customization, but wow. Really amazing. I bet if I brought the watch in for service if for example the watch was losing time, there is pretty much zero chance they would point out a ding only visible through a loop and say that I damaged the movement and thus it would not be covered under warranty. Now here is a brand that has a mentality and approach to client service that matches the quality of their creations.
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote