The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 July 2005, 04:53 PM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
GMT2 16710 review

This is my newest acquistion, I bought this watch 2 months ago to fill the void in my collection of a multi timezone watch. The natural choices were the Omega and the Rolex of course as I prefer watches that can take a beating, call me rough or clumsy I like to be able do to whatever I want with my watches and not have to worry.

In anycase my final decision is this F serial GMT2 red/blk bought brand new from a AD here in Toronto. I chose the red/blk partially because of Bruce S and all the pics he had posted in the past on another forum.

MOVEMENT

This watch utilizes a modified version of Rolex's workhorse the 3135. The 3185 movement differs in 2 main areas, the quick set date function has been removed in favour of a quick-setting hour hand which jumps in one hour increments. The other thing is of course it has a 24 hour hand that can be independently adjusted from the regular hour hand. It is not as simple as it sounds to set the watch but I will get into this later.

The 3185 movement (GMT2) differs from the old 3075 movement (GMT) in that the 3075 has a quickset date function, but the 24 hour hand is not independently adjustible. Therefore, a second timezone can only be set via the rotating bezel.

(Please correct me if I am wrong on info about the GMT movement info as I am more familiar with the GMT2's 3185 movement)

After a couple of months of use my watch is running +2 a day and I have no problems with this at all.

LOOKS and FEEL.

Overall the watch has a nice feel to it, it is lighter than my SD but heavier than my DJ. The case of the watch is as wide as the SD but is thinner than the SD while being larger than the DJ. It is fitted with a SS Oyster bracelet which I find gives the watch a perfect look and feel. Many complain about Rolex's bracelets but I have no probs with it. The watch is availible in 3 bezel choices. All black, red and black, and also the classic Pepsi (Red and Blue) I chose the Red/Blk because it stands out enough for it not to be confused with a Submariner, yet not too loud that it gets too much attention. The dial and hands are typical Rolex Professional, easy to read, no BS.

One area that ppl complain about is the twinlock crown. Many feel that this crown is too small for watches fitted with crown guards, although it would be nice to see the triplock crown fitted on the Sub and SD I dont find the crown too bad to work with. NOTE: the Anniversary edition GMT2 has been fitted with the Triplock crown so its only a matter of time before Rolex starts putting it on the TT and SS models.

Even Optimus Prime likes it

SETTING THE WATCH.

Now like I said this watch's 3185 movement loses the usual quickset date function that is found on all modern Rolex date models. This movement allows adjustment of the hour hand in one hour increments, this also allows the date to be adjusted in a semi quickset fashion. To adjust the date you will have to move the hour hand (in one hour jumps) backwards or forwards up to 24 times to change the date. This is the only movement in Rolex's line up that allows the date to be set backwards.

To adjust the red 24 hour you must move the minute hand until the desired hour is reached on the red 24 hand.

To set the watch, you must first use the minute hand to set the 24 hand and the proper minutes. Then set the hour hand to the desired local time.

A third timezone can be tracked by using the bi-directional bezel.

Thanks for reading.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote