The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2023, 03:43 PM   #31
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
One of my dreams
Congrats
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 05:01 PM   #32
Halla
Banned

Watch: EXP II, HULK
Congrats
Halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 09:21 PM   #33
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:16 PM   #34
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Congrats on your latest addition
forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:39 PM   #35
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Congrats, and I like the 116500 more then the new reference.

Just curious, were you planning on spending $10K on jewelry that day? Or did you buy stuff you had no intention in buying in the first place?
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:56 PM   #36
Mario3252
Banned

Watch: GMT
Wow. Congrats!!!
Mario3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:59 PM   #37
sinbad
"TRF" Member

Congrats. It's one of my most comfortable watches to wear. You'll love it.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:09 PM   #38
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Congrats.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:12 PM   #39
youneswatches
Banned

Watch: 124060
Huge congratulations!!!
youneswatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:02 AM   #40
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Rolex’s policy say that bundling isn’t allowed. I guess since they’re doing a separate transaction they feel like they can get away with it more readily.
Now that you have the watch in your hand and only have one more you want anyway, I’d tell them to go pound sand. That is so dirty. But like others said, at least they’re being forward about how shady they are instead of playing sly games and talking in innuendo about it.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:56 AM   #41
Socalwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!! Crazy to see 11 references are still being sold….
You would think inventory would be exhausted by now. I wonder if they are still getting shipments or if these are watches stashed in the safe?
Socalwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:12 AM   #42
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:30 AM   #43
gaymondlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND- DJ Yella's
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
Congrats, and I like the 116500 more then the new reference.

Just curious, were you planning on spending $10K on jewelry that day? Or did you buy stuff you had no intention in buying in the first place?
No, i don't go in normally to the store and i don't buy jewelry for myself. Whenever i choose jewelry for my wife she ends up not wearing it or returning the items and getting what she really likes. Or as my 12 yr old daughter explains it better, i'm a guy and i have bad taste with what women like. It was an upfront offer of the watch with the conditional required purchase of $10k. When we first discussed the terms of rolex acquisitions back in early 2020 (about a month into lockdown) she explained how purchases make you eligible/qualified to be a buyer. I didn't understand the concept of qualified since I thought you have x product and i have the money = qualified. I told her i'm not the type to buy and acquire stuff along the way hoping for a watch but will gladly buy that day to bundle together. Our relationship has been that type ever since and I don't know if that is normal or she made an exception for me vs her other clients.

It works for me, the other 3 ad's that dont require additional spend, 1 offered me an airking the next day (rolex store southcoast) but nothing else the last 3 yrs 7+ months, morgans in torrance offered me an explorer 1 within 6 months and 0 in the 3yrs + since that time other than the 1 time they offered me a skydweller white dial on voicemail only to say they called me by accident but offered to let me be the backup buyer lol. The morgans in rolling hills (different owner, same family) acts like they are doing me a favor letting me inside their store until i 1 day inquired about a bucherer then non stop calls inviting me to come in. Bindhi in cerritos never called me back because they seem to size you up if you would pay them under the table (which i would if its less than the jewelry spend and makes sense) and also the reviews i read at the time said the same thing. Hing wa lee salespeople ignore you if you dont want the breitlings they are pushing so i'll never go back there.
gaymondlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:39 AM   #44
gaymondlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Rolex’s policy say that bundling isn’t allowed. I guess since they’re doing a separate transaction they feel like they can get away with it more readily.
Now that you have the watch in your hand and only have one more you want anyway, I’d tell them to go pound sand. That is so dirty. But like others said, at least they’re being forward about how shady they are instead of playing sly games and talking in innuendo about it.
yes its always a separate transaction for the jewelry and the watch. I haven't always had to bundle. 4/9 watches didnt require bundling. deepsea jc, datejust 31 for my wife that started the relationship, bb58, op 31 darker blue for my daughter. The rest were rolex that had 6k (blnr, cermit) and 10k spends (pepsi, both black and white dial daytonas). While i would prefer 0 additional spend i understand the free market and don't expect them to hand me a free $5k-15k+ lotto ticket i could cash out on with a grey dealer before the current lower than pre 2022 market conditions
Old 20 October 2023, 02:41 AM   #45
gaymondlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalwatchguy View Post
Congrats!!! Crazy to see 11 references are still being sold….
You would think inventory would be exhausted by now. I wonder if they are still getting shipments or if these are watches stashed in the safe?
i didnt want to ask how long was this in the safe since she said it was this weeks shipment (since it doesnt really matter other than to satisfy my curiosity). she said it must be one of the last ones being sold new. I was just happy to get it and the $300 lower msrp made it better
Old 20 October 2023, 02:45 AM   #46
Driver8
"TRF" Member

If this arrangement of having extra spend attached to each purchase works for you OP, then that’s great. Personally I think your AD is taking considerable liberties there (especially with their pretty long timescales even after asking for more spend from you), and if it was me I’d either be finding a more ethical AD, or be heading to a trusted grey instead.

But as I say, if the arrangement works for you, then why not. Congrats again.
Old 21 October 2023, 03:14 PM   #47
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
How are you going to prove it? Rolex is fairly liberal when it comes to "at the AD's discretion" regarding how they allocate watches. It's not lost on Rolex that a Daytona is a reward piece. Do you think they expect ADs to hand out off-catalog pieces to anyone? No - they go to the highest spenders. Most ADs are jewelers first and Rolex knows they don't survive just by selling watches.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 03:54 PM   #48
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingInTheDeep View Post
How are you going to prove it? Rolex is fairly liberal when it comes to "at the AD's discretion" regarding how they allocate watches. It's not lost on Rolex that a Daytona is a reward piece. Do you think they expect ADs to hand out off-catalog pieces to anyone? No - they go to the highest spenders. Most ADs are jewelers first and Rolex knows they don't survive just by selling watches.
No idea how they're going to prove it with the separate transaction without someone like the OP coming forward and outing this dealer to Rolex somehow or by some other very public means. My point is that Rolex's public policy explicitly states that this behavior isn't allowable. Click the little "i" by any of the MSRPs on the Rolex website to see where it states...

"Rolex pricing policies
Suggested retail price before applicable taxes.
The suggested price can be modified at any time without notice.
The sale of Rolex watches above the suggested retail price, as well as any tie-in sale, is not permitted. However, the distribution of Rolex watches worldwide is entrusted to independent Official Jewelers and Rolex is not authorized to intervene in the relationship between them and the end customer."

I'm sure Rolex knows ADs prioritize better/higher spending customers, but outrightly stating, "You can buy this watch if you buy at least $10k of diamond jewelry" is clearly a violation of their procedures.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 04:13 PM   #49
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaymondlee View Post
No, i don't go in normally to the store and i don't buy jewelry for myself. Whenever i choose jewelry for my wife she ends up not wearing it or returning the items and getting what she really likes. Or as my 12 yr old daughter explains it better, i'm a guy and i have bad taste with what women like. It was an upfront offer of the watch with the conditional required purchase of $10k. When we first discussed the terms of rolex acquisitions back in early 2020 (about a month into lockdown) she explained how purchases make you eligible/qualified to be a buyer. I didn't understand the concept of qualified since I thought you have x product and i have the money = qualified. I told her i'm not the type to buy and acquire stuff along the way hoping for a watch but will gladly buy that day to bundle together. Our relationship has been that type ever since and I don't know if that is normal or she made an exception for me vs her other clients.

It works for me, the other 3 ad's that dont require additional spend, 1 offered me an airking the next day (rolex store southcoast) but nothing else the last 3 yrs 7+ months, morgans in torrance offered me an explorer 1 within 6 months and 0 in the 3yrs + since that time other than the 1 time they offered me a skydweller white dial on voicemail only to say they called me by accident but offered to let me be the backup buyer lol. The morgans in rolling hills (different owner, same family) acts like they are doing me a favor letting me inside their store until i 1 day inquired about a bucherer then non stop calls inviting me to come in. Bindhi in cerritos never called me back because they seem to size you up if you would pay them under the table (which i would if its less than the jewelry spend and makes sense) and also the reviews i read at the time said the same thing. Hing wa lee salespeople ignore you if you dont want the breitlings they are pushing so i'll never go back there.
Congrats on a beautiful watch!

Also, thank you for your transparency. Your story describes fairly realistically what it’s like out there. Yes, some people have a great relationship, and never have to spend $0.01 beyond purchasing only Rolex watches. Good for them. For the rest of us, that's just not reality. I don't agree with an outright pay to play of $10k. With that said, it's not unreasonable to expect that money must exchange hands for other products before one is offered in demand Rolex watches.

"The Game is The Game"
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 06:31 PM   #50
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
dealer got it for 6k rolex spent 2k to produce........talk about hype watch
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 07:05 PM   #51
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Congrats :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 07:29 PM   #52
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Incoming 116500LN Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
dealer got it for 6k rolex spent 2k to produce........talk about hype watch

No need to be bitter. It's the best wearing watch in the catalog. Super thin. Awesome durable 4130 movement.

Congrats again OP!
Old 21 October 2023, 08:03 PM   #53
Kenwiin
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenwiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 08:15 PM   #54
messikens
"TRF" Member

Just my 2c : Congrats on getting the watch you like and if it (and the prior purchases) make you happy - go for it!!

Personally, I find this entire practice and the related AD "experience" more than disgusting. You've literally thrown them sizeable 6-figure business in the past and bundled MULTIPLE times.

So after all of this you get "the call" which invites you to spend ANOTHER $10k on random useless crap only to be allocated a watch at MSRP. That is literally a disgusting business practice IMO and I would feel no fealty to the dealer. The premium is so high you literally almost could get it grey without having to kiss the ring and get it the next day vs waiting 22 months for something with such an insane bundling premium.

Hearing these stories make me hope this entire charade stops soon enough and I can't wait! I know it's a business, but to ME there is a difference between maximizing customer retention/value and just plain disgusting milking every last drop out of hype watches / gullible sheep
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 09:49 PM   #55
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats

Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 10:19 PM   #56
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

OP thanks for taking the time to walk us through your history. You have a situation that works for you and now have one of the best pieces in the catalogue.
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 10:34 PM   #57
Lambo The Jambo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, wear it in good health. Thanks for sharing your spend history.
Lambo The Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 12:51 AM   #58
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
OP, I appreciate the transparency very much. Especially since this is one I’ve been waiting on as well.
Sounds to me like your purchase history included watches you wanted, so the only “extra” in this case is the 10k in jewelry. The way I see it, you’ll have a happy wife this weekend, you have a beautiful Daytona, and the AD made a jewelry sale, it’s a win-win-win all around. 10k is not a big ask for the watch you’ve got. I understand the opposing views, but I would do a 10k jewelry spend for that same reference without a second thought!
Congratulations!!
tutu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:07 AM   #59
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofromthebay View Post
Wow. Congrats!!! Good AD

Really? The way it reads he had a $150k spend history already and they made him pony up for MORE diamond jewelry to get the Daytona.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:08 AM   #60
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
Congratulations! But it wouldn't be the new model.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote