The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2018, 11:31 PM   #1
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Titanium case and material question

As I creep closer to potentially buying my first Panerai, question on Titanium cases:

-- I read a lot on other watch brands that make titanium cased models and how prone they are to scratching so very easily. Is this true? does the slightest slide across the office desk or a shirt/jacket cuff/zipper leave glaring marks with ease?!?

-- How much lighter does the material really feel on the wrist? Some say they hardly notices that watch is there given their size. However, I actually prefer heft to my watches and the feel. My Submariner (at around 150 grams) is a perfect weight on my wrist. Does titanium along with a leather strap make a 42mm PAM feel unnoticeable?

I mean, this watch is so simple and cool ~ but I would be disappointed if it weighed a feather...

[IMG]img photo sharing[/IMG]
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:42 PM   #2
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I owned one Ti watch so far - a Luminor Due Titanio 728 and I can say that contrary to your initial impression, the case is not “scratchy-prone.” However, the watch is lightweight which gives a contrasting wear experience to the usual stainless steel cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:17 AM   #3
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
titanium is amazing, just got my first one and it's easy to wear and is not a scratch magnet.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For me, personally, with a black dial, I prefer the greater contrast and shine of SS (so, I’d take a 111 over a 177), but with a chocolate dial, the Ti is perfect. 564 is a beauty.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:22 AM   #5
nick c
Banned

For the first time buyers, I recommend to buy, 000,005,111,112, pre owned.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:07 PM   #6
eonflux
"TRF" Member

I've had a couple of titanium watches.
Love the material for cases: light weight, love the color, different thermal properties than steel (doesn't feel as cold), etc.

But the cases seemed to show light daily wear marks more readily than steel, though over time, I've heard some type of oxidative process makes those marks fade a bit. I've also heard that a rubber eraser can be used to make the marks less noticeable, but I never tried that.

As for weight, I had a PAM 275 and have tried on the 311, and the ti version is much lighter.
I had an Omega Seamaster ti on a bracelet, and it felt as light as a plastic watch with a plastic bracelet. I thought that was cool, but if you like to feel the weight of the watch, that it feels substantial, you may not enjoy that.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I have a 176 in titanium and I looked specifically for a titanium Panerai because I felt the steel models were too heavy. Panerais are big watches and there is a movement inside that also has some weight, so I feel that having one in titanium is perfect, you definitely still feel it on your wrist.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Bushido
"TRF" Member

I own Ti pieces from Panerai, Omega, and AP. Absolutely love them and have no complaints. I haven't noticed titanium being any more scratch prone/resistant that SS.

On the wrist, their weight is between steel and ceramic. Very comfortable for long hours of wear.

I recommend popping into an AD and trying some on to get a feel for them in the metal.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 09:37 AM   #9
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Not all titanium are the same.

I think Omega uses Grade 5 titanium which seems to work great. Other manufacturer use hardening process as well. I read that Breitling uses Grade 2. I don't know what grade of titanium Panerai uses.

I have had 176 and 177 before. And I think they are easier to pick up scratches and ding than the stainless steel counterpart. That's just my own experience. YMMV.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 10:37 AM   #10
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Had my 562 for just over 2 months. It is the same as the 560 in the picture, but without the small seconds on the dial. Firstly, I love the shade of the brushed Titanium which works beautifully with the dark brown dial. I honestly haven't noticed so far whether it is more, or less, scratch resistant that stainless steel. The watch is very comfortable, and with the wide, thick strap, light weight and large case, it really hugs the wrist. Some larger steel watches, because of their weight, tend to roll around more on the wrist.

Apparently, Panerai uses Grade 2 and Grade 5 titanium, and I guess depending upon whether the case is polished or brushed? Here is a link to some info on the Panerai website about materials:
http://www.panerai.com/en/fragments/.../titanium.html

I am guessing again that my 562 is Grade 2, but that article really does not elaborate. To be honest, beside my 44mm 562, I own a 47mm Radiomir in stainless steel, and I really do not notice much difference in comfort. The Radiomir just hugs like it was built for my wrist. It is the largest watch I have owned, yet the most comfortable!
Old 25 July 2018, 02:39 PM   #11
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
I recently purchased a pre-owned Submersible 25 in titanium about a month ago. I also have a 312 in steel and I can tell you that the 25 is much lighter on the wrist by quite a bit. Its super comfortable to wear when walking or in hot weather. Also the color of the brushed titanium is very nice compared to the brushed steel case on my 312. I haven't gotten any scratches on my 25 and have been wearing daily since I got it. So I would say that it's not overly prone to scratches. For me the titanium case is a real winner.

w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:26 AM   #12
synequano
Banned

I have 4 titanium pams in my Pamily and I like titanium better for several reasons

1. They hide scratches better as the all brushed case will oxidized thus hiding the scratches
2. They're light,which is nice to have on bigger watches like Panerai
3. They're more stable during temperature change,I've experienced temperature shock with my SS cased watch,but never with Ti cased ones

3 of my Ti Pam-ily
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 12:40 PM   #13
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post

1. They hide scratches better as the all brushed case will oxidized thus hiding the scratches
What exactly is the outcome of the oxidation visually? Does it happen quickly and can it be avoided by keeping away from water? I assume skin sweat and oil is what does it? Can it be cleaned at home or via servicing?
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 01:48 PM   #14
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Did you end up buying it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunajska View Post
As I creep closer to potentially buying my first Panerai, question on Titanium cases:

-- I read a lot on other watch brands that make titanium cased models and how prone they are to scratching so very easily. Is this true? does the slightest slide across the office desk or a shirt/jacket cuff/zipper leave glaring marks with ease?!?

-- How much lighter does the material really feel on the wrist? Some say they hardly notices that watch is there given their size. However, I actually prefer heft to my watches and the feel. My Submariner (at around 150 grams) is a perfect weight on my wrist. Does titanium along with a leather strap make a 42mm PAM feel unnoticeable?

I mean, this watch is so simple and cool ~ but I would be disappointed if it weighed a feather...

[IMG]img photo sharing[/IMG]
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 04:14 AM   #15
synequano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunajska View Post
What exactly is the outcome of the oxidation visually? Does it happen quickly and can it be avoided by keeping away from water? I assume skin sweat and oil is what does it? Can it be cleaned at home or via servicing?

Oxidation will make the case turn into darker shade of grey,it's normal for titanium and might be avoidable by applying some kind of protective "film" but why would you do that?? Water might be able to brighten up the case but I have never tried it as I'd like the grey shade of titanium
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote