The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
Opinion Request: Which and How

Have decided that my 44mm PAM 356 is just too much for my 6.75” Flat Wrist.

Looking to either sell or trade it, and looking at the following models... would love to get some opinions on the models from you all

Debating between the 1537 or 1535/535. Thoughts?

Open to other models... 42mm is a must, exhibition is a want, as is GMT but not exclusively.

What should I expect from my PAM 356 in good condition, and recently serviced (March) and largely unworn since then? It has been factory polished.

Thank you, all
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 09:16 PM   #2
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
PAM 356 goes for about $5-6K from dealers, so discount 20% if you want to move it yourself and list on chrono24 to see if anyone bites. They are NOT a hot seller so you may want to see if discounting even further will yield a better response from potential buyers..worst comes to worse, you can off-load to most second hand dealers for about $3.2-3.7K depending on how many other PAM chronos they have sitting in their inventory... but that will be my last resort as this is serious cash down the toilet (well I don't know how much you paid for it, but say if you did pa retails - 20%, it is a murder still).

Now on your shortlist - neither of them sing to me , but then I stopped caring about Panerai a few years back once they started to do snap-on casebacks and 30m water resistance.

To me, 1537 is a better option - if you dont mind the power reserve indicator and heavy fake patina on the dial and hands (I personally dont mind it but i know many folks who hate the way PAM does their power reserve on the dial).

The 1535 is not a bad option if you prefer a cleaner dial but then I find the 12-hour GMT is a total disaster...if you cant tell whether it is 15:00 or 3:00 in your second timezone, what good is this thing for exactly? At least you get the functionality out of the power reserve and it does show something somewhat useful; the GMT on this model is a non starter to me.

As you already know, both of these will take a beating if you ever try to sell them, so buy wisely and stay away from the new stock;)
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
PAM 356 goes for about $5-6K from dealers, so discount 20% if you want to move it yourself and list on chrono24 to see if anyone bites. They are NOT a hot seller so you may want to see if discounting even further will yield a better response from potential buyers..worst comes to worse, you can off-load to most second hand dealers for about $3.2-3.7K depending on how many other PAM chronos they have sitting in their inventory... but that will be my last resort as this is serious cash down the toilet (well I don't know how much you paid for it, but say if you did pa retails - 20%, it is a murder still).

Now on your shortlist - neither of them sing to me , but then I stopped caring about Panerai a few years back once they started to do snap-on casebacks and 30m water resistance.

To me, 1537 is a better option - if you dont mind the power reserve indicator and heavy fake patina on the dial and hands (I personally dont mind it but i know many folks who hate the way PAM does their power reserve on the dial).

The 1535 is not a bad option if you prefer a cleaner dial but then I find the 12-hour GMT is a total disaster...if you cant tell whether it is 15:00 or 3:00 in your second timezone, what good is this thing for exactly? At least you get the functionality out of the power reserve and it does show something somewhat useful; the GMT on this model is a non starter to me.

As you already know, both of these will take a beating if you ever try to sell them, so buy wisely and stay away from the new stock;)
Good insight, I appreciate it. I looked at the 535 as I prefer the color profile, however it runs off the older 9001 caliber. All of these are 100m waterproof rating. :)

I wasn’t aware it was a 12 hour GMT, i thought it was still 24 with the user knowing how to tell the difference. Can anyone else share insight?
Old 13 August 2018, 11:03 PM   #4
hitman23
"TRF" Member

it's only a 24 hr GMT if you have 24 hour markers.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:48 AM   #5
synequano
Banned

Do you mind getting a radiomir?

If it's okay,try to hunt down 184 as it fulfills all your requirements and fits even smaller but it has JLC auto movement ticking inside,I think I've seen it for around 6-6.5k usd

If you like busier dial,hunt for 98 or 355 as they give you alarm as a bonus,I think it cost around 7-8k usd in pre owned market
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
Do you mind getting a radiomir?

If it's okay,try to hunt down 184 as it fulfills all your requirements and fits even smaller but it has JLC auto movement ticking inside,I think I've seen it for around 6-6.5k usd
That’s a very interesting and unique piece, I haven’t ever seen it before! Thank you for sharing. That is something to think about. I’ve always liked the crown guard but that’s a very unique GMT.
Old 22 August 2018, 08:18 PM   #7
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Obviously, it’s all a matter of personal preference, but a 6.75 inch wrist can defintely carry a 44mm PAM. I would think that maybe you think the dial of the 356 is just too busy, but the options you are looking at are pretty busy themselves, especially packed into a 42mm case...I agree with Kornhaber on his 356 valuation, although I think you can get trade in value of 4-4.5.

I also like Syn’s suggestions of Radiomirs that meet most of your criteria. But maybe Panerai just isn’t the brand for you, or maybe you should look at a 1320 as it wears smaller than the 356 due to its slimmer profile as a result of its updated movement.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote