The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2018, 07:36 AM   #1
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Vacheron Overseas Chronogrpah

Hi guys,

Just wondering, why doesn’t this watch get more love? One of the pinnacle watch making companies, amazing waterproof rating, high quality finishing, impressive movement, strap options, dial detail, date and chronograph, I could go on.

The price on the used market is very impressive too, so tell me. Why isn’t this watch getting more love?

Thanks.
Old 27 June 2018, 07:51 AM   #2
prefontaine
"TRF" Member

I love it and am in the market for one! What prices are you seeing?
prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:54 AM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering, why doesn’t this watch get more love? One of the pinnacle watch making companies, amazing waterproof rating, high quality finishing, impressive movement, strap options, dial detail, date and chronograph, I could go on.

The price on the used market is very impressive too, so tell me. Why isn’t this watch getting more love?

Thanks.
Because of the obsessive use of the cross as well as the size
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 08:03 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
And high retail and poor resale, in UK AD discounts are also poor.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Sam Philip
Banned

New blue dial overseas chronograph is very beautiful. However even with a generous 20% discount from an AD (unlikely for the blue) it is likely to take a hit if one tries to resell.

Vacheron Harmony Monopusher Chronograph is a very impressive and technically advanced watch than Patek 5170 but again not much love

I am no expert but seasoned collectors say that Vacheron is not the company it used to be.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is this a joke?
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:03 AM   #7
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What does that mean (the cross part)?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 12:07 PM   #8
batamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post

I agree ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
batamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:27 PM   #9
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

So the price is a big factor. Has anyone got personal experience, comparing it to Royal Oak, Nautilus chronographs or the DaytonaC

I have a DaytonaC, which I love, but like the idea of a chrono with date which is why this is calling to me, and all the other points I mentioned in the OP
Old 27 June 2018, 07:31 PM   #10
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

I always want to like the Overseas, but everytime when I try one on it's disappointing.

Try one and let me know, I think you know when you have it on your wrist.

There is something about it that isnt right.
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:33 PM   #11
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVDB View Post
I always want to like the Overseas, but everytime when I try one on it's disappointing.

In all fairness I have never tried one on in person, it is on my to do list haha
Old 27 June 2018, 08:11 PM   #12
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In all fairness I have never tried one on in person, it is on my to do list haha

That's the problem!

However if you do like it, I know a good place for that DaytonaC
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 08:42 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Is this a joke?
No that's a criticism often levelled at the VCO. I quite like the MC motif as it is distinctive but having it on the bezel and the bracelet is too much for some people.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:24 PM   #14
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
While you’re at it, go try on the Girard-Perregaux Laureato Chronograph too.
If cost is a concern (relatively speaking of course) and rapid strap changing isn’t the be all and end all, then also consider the 2nd Gen VCOC.
Both of those are far better looking than the current 3rd Gen, and offer much better value, all things considered.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:30 PM   #15
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Is this a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVDB View Post

x38202929

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
The bezel, the bracelet, it comes across as tacky to some people. Like emblazoning your logo all over something.
Old 27 June 2018, 10:25 PM   #16
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
I have the blue dial 2nd generation. I have always loved it. I agree the MSRP is a bad investment if you pay it. Got mine 1 year old, under warranty, for about 50% of the retail price. Most every watch out there is a terrible investment if you pay full retail + tax. I love it and got a great price. Also, I love the Maltese Cross motif. I think it's a unique design that stands out. However, everything is personal preference.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 11:08 PM   #17
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtruex View Post
I have the blue dial 2nd generation. I have always loved it. I agree the MSRP is a bad investment if you pay it. Got mine 1 year old, under warranty, for about 50% of the retail price. Most every watch out there is a terrible investment if you pay full retail + tax. I love it and got a great price. Also, I love the Maltese Cross motif. I think it's a unique design that stands out. However, everything is personal preference.
Don't get me wrong bud, my original comment never stated that I personally don't like the cross motif either. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other, however the bezel does sort of bother me after gazing it at for extended times. However, I especially like your model and find the aesthetics to be quite charming.

Like you say though, it's definitely persona preference. A lot of people simply aren't fans of it.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:51 PM   #18
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks.
We're talking about the current generation of Overseas?

To be honest, we don't really know the popularity of the line. Forum is a poor way to gauge that. For example, we don't talk about Cartier tanks a lot on forums and they have poor resale values, but they are the single best seller across all models in the entire Richemont portfolio. That said, I do speculate that Overseas has weaker sales, relative to the sports line of AP and PP.

And it could be because:

- Vacheron is known for dress watches, not sports. The overseas design (even the original) was not designed by Genta. With AP and PP's dominance in this 70's-themed segment, there is little need to look further...

- Vacheron changes its design too often, making it look more like a 'fashion' watch, whereas AP and PP remain their signature styles over time. Design-wise, I personally prefer the 2nd generation overseas. Since they revolutionized the design, I need time to soak in the new design cues...

- Marketing/brand equity: AP heavily markets the brand, targeting celebrities of all kinds; Vacheron doesn't. PP's natilus has in-house movements; Vacheron didn't - until most recently. IMO, both of those brands have higher brand equity than VC, which was once considered a "trinity" brand. I'm not sure if being owned by a conglomerate makes a difference in perception. It certainly does for me. VC's current strategies of releasing low-price steel models weakens the brand...

But if you like the watch, that's all it matters.
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 11:59 PM   #19
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
We're talking about the current generation of Overseas?

To be honest, we don't really know the popularity of the line. Forum is a poor way to gauge that. For example, we don't talk about Cartier tanks a lot on forums and they have poor resale values, but they are the single best seller across all models in the entire Richemont portfolio. That said, I do speculate that Overseas has weaker sales, relative to the sports line of AP and PP.

And it could be because:

- Vacheron is known for dress watches, not sports. The overseas design (even the original) was not designed by Genta. With AP and PP's dominance in this 70's-themed segment, there is little need to look further...

- Vacheron changes its design too often, making it look more like a 'fashion' watch, whereas AP and PP remain their signature styles over time. Design-wise, I personally prefer the 2nd generation overseas. Since they revolutionized the design, I need time to soak in the new design cues...

- Marketing/brand equity: AP heavily markets the brand, targeting celebrities of all kinds; Vacheron doesn't. PP's natilus has in-house movements; Vacheron didn't - until most recently. IMO, both of those brands have higher brand equity than VC, which was once considered a "trinity" brand. I'm not sure if being owned by a conglomerate makes a difference in perception. It certainly does for me. VC's current strategies of releasing low-price steel models weakens the brand...

But if you like the watch, that's all it matters.
This is an incredibly important point, that most purists and lovers of haute horology will always focus on. If a design can't be timeless and they must continuously change it.....it's not a good design.
Old 29 June 2018, 04:59 PM   #20
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtruex View Post
... love the Maltese Cross motif. I think it's a unique design that stands out. However,
Me too! Just wish the watch was a little smaller in case width and thickness. A bit too large for my wrist.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 02:34 AM   #21
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I owned the VC Overseas Chrono. I have a daytona, two AP chronos and patek 5990. I sold the VC. I just was not wearing it that often. it is very comfortable and I have a small wrist and it did fit very well. Just did not sing to me after a while.

Quote:
So the price is a big factor. Has anyone got personal experience, comparing it to Royal Oak, Nautilus chronographs or the DaytonaC

I have a DaytonaC, which I love, but like the idea of a chrono with date which is why this is calling to me, and all the other points I mentioned in the OP
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 03:30 AM   #22
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
I couldn't be happier with mine. While both are great watches, I prefer the Overseas to the Royal Oak from a pure aesthetic standpoint - always a matter of personal preference of course. The Overseas (and VC in general for that matter) have a great Euro-America history as well. And I'm surprised at how many comments / questions I get on it when I wear it. Lots on love for the watch on my end...

IMG_4480.jpg
charger_vital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 10:04 PM   #23
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj s View Post
while you’re at it, go try on the girard-perregaux laureato chronograph too.
If cost is a concern (relatively speaking of course) and rapid strap changing isn’t the be all and end all, then also consider the 2nd gen vcoc.
Both of those are far better looking than the current 3rd gen, and offer much better value, all things considered.
x2!
Old 1 July 2018, 06:34 AM   #24
soundserious
"TRF" Member

VC relaunches this line every few years. There isn’t anything wrong with the watch, just buy at 50-60% discount and you’ll be fine.
Old 2 July 2018, 01:23 AM   #25
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Of all VCO, the second generation deep stream chronograph is the one I like best. In the long run I think it will find its fans. VC should release the original 222 in the historiques collection.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 07:20 AM   #26
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
A modular, overpriced movement of the previous generation was a total turn off for me. The latest model is okay, but pricey compared to other brands/offerings.
Old 2 July 2018, 08:56 AM   #27
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Why? Just visited a Vacheron boutique recently and spent an hour looking at various models including overseas and several heritage models. Price for what you get is simply insane for what is ultimately a mass market Richemont watch available in any major city and looks and feels no better than watches that are less than half the price. This is typical of many luxury watch brands, up close the Emperor has no clothes.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 02:07 PM   #28
S/Z
"TRF" Member

Love the 3rd generation Overseas chrono and simple date. The Overseas line continues to improve, and imho VC got a lot right in this iteration.

The pricing is a little wacky, especially in comparison to analogous AP references, but I've been quoted discounts of 20% or more in the US from ADs. That's not happening with AP RO or PP Nautilus/Aquanaut (though you'll still likely take a bigger hit with VC if you unload on the secondary even with the discount).

The show-stopping blue dial and the more subtle yet equally compelling design language details on my Overseas still give me the warm fuzzies, and I don't see the love affair ending any time soon. I dunno ... ask me again if I ever decide to resell for less than half of what I paid at retail?
S/Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 07:21 PM   #29
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
A modular, overpriced movement of the previous generation was a total turn off for me. The latest model is okay, but pricey compared to other brands/offerings.
The Overseas never had a modular movement, the AP ROO had it. The first and second generation Overseas were powered by the FP1185 (with the added large date complication), same as the RO chronograph (non Offshore).
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 07:39 PM   #30
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Because they didn't stamp the cross on the lug
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote