The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2020, 09:29 AM   #1
briansp82593
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Anyone ever disappointed in a PM purchase?

For whatever reason, I am not jazzed by my YG submariner.

I bought it new, haven’t even peeled all of the stickers off yet. Got a fairly decent discount off RRP. Yet I don’t feel as fulfilled as I was expecting.

Maybe the chase of the grail was better than the destination. But I still find myself lusting for a handful of steel pieces. Watches I could have bought for the price of the sub.

I’ve had a 16600 SD. 1601 DJ. 1803 YG DD. And a 116710LN GMT. I used to look at my Seadweller and smile in awe. “It’s a Rolex and it’s mine” . The GMT was beautiful and a great all rounder.

The yellow gold sub is beautiful. Quite a substantial piece. Pun intended. I just don’t think the juice was worth the squeeze. YMMV.

The other models that seem to have my interest the most? I’d like a hulk, SS submariner date 116610LN, and a white explorer 2 216570.

My AD basically told me forget trying to get a hulk. List is 50+ long. Even a black sub is a reach. Told me a year on a white EXP2. Pretty frustrating on availability.

Anyone else feel the same way after buying a PM? Anyone get better availability after buying a PM?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D995876B-4AAD-4B31-8217-DD0232C0594A.jpeg (146.2 KB, 2875 views)
briansp82593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:34 AM   #2
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Please enjoy your great looking watch
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:36 AM   #3
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Ah, the grass is always greener...but man, you picked a helluva PM sub! That’s a beauty. I’d just enjoy it for awhile and see whether it grows on you.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:38 AM   #4
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansp82593 View Post
Anyone get better availability after buying a PM?

Is this the real question?

That would really suck to make such a substantial purchase only to be dismayed. Maybe it wasn’t truly a grail?
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Xenon
Banned

I had a 2002 5 digit full gold Sub with a black face which was very comfortable. Purchased it in mint used condition in 2009 for $14k and sold it for $15k in 2014. I did not like the look or feel of the 6 digit full gold Sub.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:53 AM   #6
kumar75203
Banned

There's really no logic to this hobby. It's such a personal thing. That's a good looking watch. Checks all the boxes. But I bought a 116618 blue sunburst and I wasn't enamored with it either for whatever reason.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:00 AM   #7
LawyerFlyfisher
Banned

Quote:
For whatever reason, I am not jazzed by my YG submariner.

I bought it new, haven’t even peeled all of the stickers off yet. Got a fairly decent discount off RRP. Yet I don’t feel as fulfilled as I was expecting.

Maybe the chase of the grail was better than the destination. But I still find myself lusting for a handful of steel pieces. Watches I could have bought for the price of the sub.

I’ve had a 16600 SD. 1601 DJ. 1803 YG DD. And a 116710LN GMT. I used to look at my Seadweller and smile in awe. “It’s a Rolex and it’s mine” . The GMT was beautiful and a great all rounder.

The yellow gold sub is beautiful. Quite a substantial piece. Pun intended. I just don’t think the juice was worth the squeeze. YMMV.

The other models that seem to have my interest the most? I’d like a hulk, SS submariner date 116610LN, and a white explorer 2

My AD basically told me forget trying to get a hulk. List is 50+ long. Even a black sub is a reach. Told me a year on a white EXP2. Pretty frustrating on availability.

Anyone else feel the same way after buying a PM? Anyone get better availability after buying a PM?
A 911 turbo is what you need. When a $40,000 watch doesn’t fill the void, a 198 mph car will.
LawyerFlyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:00 AM   #8
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
I got my 118238 Day Date and think it's the most beautiful watch on the market. I'm more than happy. Maybe you chose the wrong watch for yourself. No shame in that.
Old 28 May 2020, 10:09 AM   #9
sherrill
"TRF" Member

Maybe sell it, and go grey market and find a 50th anniversary yellow gold GMT with the green dial. Since you were happy with the all rounder. You can get them full set for less than you paid for that submariner.
sherrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:10 AM   #10
JohnnyBer
"TRF" Member

Doesn't sound like it's really your grail. Or maybe you just bought it to scratch the itch of buying something, because what you really wanted wasn't obtainable from an AD. That said, it's a beautiful watch. Wear it in good health.
JohnnyBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:13 AM   #11
briansp82593
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Is this the real question?

That would really suck to make such a substantial purchase only to be dismayed. Maybe it wasn’t truly a grail?
It’s a fair question. The answer to that is no lol. I’m not a person who would ever spend that money for the opportunity to purchase a SS model. I cringe at the threads where AD’s are strong arming customers into “bundling”. Really poor practice.

That being said, I won’t even pay gray pricing on a steel piece. None of this stuff is a necessity, much less over MSRP just because I suffer from “have to have it now” syndrome.

As far as it being the grail piece. I really thought it was. I originally had my sights set on a bluesy 116613LB. Talked myself into the full gold watch thinking it would just be the cats meow.
Old 28 May 2020, 10:15 AM   #12
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
Maybe sell it, and go grey market and find a 50th anniversary yellow gold GMT with the green dial. Since you were happy with the all rounder. You can get them full set for less than you paid for that submariner.
Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (150.3 KB, 2575 views)
Old 28 May 2020, 10:18 AM   #13
bezler
"TRF" Member

No matter how much you research, think and plan, there are always unpredictable emotional reactions when you actually get the piece. Give it some time, as things may change. But don't be afraid to move on if necessary.
Old 28 May 2020, 10:21 AM   #14
sherrill
"TRF" Member

That’s the one. Gorgeous! I debated on getting that one or the wg DD40 with the olive dial. I got the DD40 since I wanted to add a Day Date to my collection. I’ll probably get that GMT soon! ��
sherrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:25 AM   #15
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I usually don't care for YG, but that is a nice looking piece. I think you nailed it, the hunt is often better than the kill (figuratively speaking - no rules broken here )
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:29 AM   #16
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Beautiful watch, I hope you get the itch back for this. Like you said, sometimes it's the thrill of the chase. Enjoy and wear it.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:39 AM   #17
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous watch! I love the black dial gold sub.

The only time I regretted a PM purchase was a bit on my DD36 - just because I know yellow gold isn't really great for my super pale skin tone.

I get the same unsatisfied feeling you got but with steel. I got a steel sub date a bit over month or so ago and it saw wrist time for maybe 2-3 days. Have barely looked at it in weeks. I'm already planning on selling it. If something that costs this much isn't doing it for you, try to figure out why but definitely don't keep it just because of the "sunk cost."
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:43 AM   #18
lvgeroni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40
I felt the same way when I finally purchased my grail, a white-gold Day-Date 40 (228239). You're absolutely right, sometimes the journey is more exciting than the destination. I ended up selling mine back in January. Now I'm lusting for the ice blue dialed Day-Date platinum. God help me! :)
lvgeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:45 AM   #19
Kostas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
If gold isn’t doing it for you there is always platinum
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:49 AM   #20
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFlyfisher View Post
A 911 turbo is what you need. When a $40,000 watch doesn’t fill the void, a 198 mph car will.
+1 on this!
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:52 AM   #21
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Man that is an awesome watch and you are able to afford it while for many others it’s still a grail watch. Enjoy the hell out of it! I do love it but if it was my money I would’ve gone for a DD. Somehow the YG Sub looks unreal? When I think Submariner I always think of SS.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:52 AM   #22
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
Ah, the grass is always greener...but man, you picked a helluva PM sub! That’s a beauty. I’d just enjoy it for awhile and see whether it grows on you.
Dont you mean the sub is always greener on the other side?

OP, I think you'll enjoy a PM with a sunburst dial better. More dynamic and plays with light better.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:55 AM   #23
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Sem View Post
When I think Submariner I always think of SS.
Which is why a gold Sub looks (and is) extra special, I think
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:57 AM   #24
Bigblu10
Banned

No disappointment whatsoever. Love mine and been a daily wearer for almost 3 years now. Could not care at all about SS watches

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:58 AM   #25
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Yep. But it’s the the thrill of the hunt, for me. Sometimes it’s not necessarily the letdown of a particular piece. I have felt your sentiment toward a watch, whether it’s PM or not.

Sometimes I end up with one and I just don’t want it. So I trade it.

You’re right. None of this is a necessity. It’s supposed to be fun and make us smile. That’s a beautiful watch.

However, if that one does not sing to you, get one that does. That’s what I’d do. Enabling complete, lol.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:00 AM   #26
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
I originally had my sights set on a bluesy 116613LB. Talked myself into the full gold watch thinking it would just be the cats meow.
A lot of times you'll hear people on TRF talk about how great it was to upgrade to full gold over TT for the Sub, but that's not for everyone. I tried on the YG black one that you have, and while it's a beautiful watch and I can totally see why it would be someone's grail, it didn't do anything for me. The TT bluesy on the other hand checked all the boxes of what I was looking for and I prefer TT to YG personally. So it isn't always an upgrade to go full gold over TT if that's not your thing. But some on here will tell you that your grail can only be full PM, and SS and TT are just stepping stones. The good news is you can trade in yours for a bluesy and SS Sub if you want, or another combination that floats your boat.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:00 AM   #27
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
I won’t even pay gray pricing on a steel piece. None of this stuff is a necessity, much less over MSRP just because I suffer from “have to have it now” syndrome.
Isn't paying full price for a YG SubC along the lines of the same thing? They are out there for a lot less. AD relationship isn't exactly wonderful as a result either. You're actually considering the SS versions the AD won't get for you. Why?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:03 AM   #28
Xenon
Banned

Trade it for a 40mm Day Date with a champagne dial.

A yellow gold Sub is not quite classic enough and not quite flashy enough.

The Day Date can easily fill both extremes.

Problem solved.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:19 AM   #29
briansp82593
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Isn't paying full price for a YG SubC along the lines of the same thing? They are out there for a lot less. AD relationship isn't exactly wonderful as a result either. You're actually considering the SS versions the AD won't get for you. Why?
I did not pay full price for the YG sub. I got it new, and the discounted price rivaled a used one. So it was a definitely a good deal for a YG sub.

Yes, I am wanting a steel sub. I can understand the confusion. Going from the AMG Mercedes to the base model. Just turns out that having the model in gold wasn’t worth the price of admission. Not to me anyway. I’d feel a lot better scratching up a stainless watch. Same classic look. Just different metal and 25% of the price.

Sometimes we get jaded by the price of something. Because it is more expensive must mean it’s better, right?
Old 28 May 2020, 11:32 AM   #30
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Sometimes we get jaded by the price of something. Because it is more expensive must mean it’s better, right?
This is a very true statement; but I think it can be applied to just about any Rolex considering the number of other great watches out there at significantly lower price points. It becomes more about what you find value in (history, brand, particular look, feel, etc.).
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote