The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2022, 07:19 AM   #1
TommyT53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your back
Torn Labrum and golf

I’m currently doing PT for a Torn Labrum in my left shoulder and if it doesn’t help, facing some kind of surgery. Has anyone had this and how long is the recovery time before being able to golf. I happen to be a low single digit player and play 4 times a week...the inability to play is driving me crazy. When will things get better ?
TommyT53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:05 AM   #2
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT53 View Post
I’m currently doing PT for a Torn Labrum in my left shoulder and if it doesn’t help, facing some kind of surgery. Has anyone had this and how long is the recovery time before being able to golf. I happen to be a low single digit player and play 4 times a week...the inability to play is driving me crazy. When will things get better ?
Post surgical recovery can be anywhere from 6-12 months for full function. Depends on extent of tear and whether there are additional issues like bone spurs. You will need to take at least three months completely off of major upper extremity activities or you will actually prolong your recovery. Not a doctor, just have been through this three damn times.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:27 AM   #3
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
No idea here, but good luck Tommy
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
No help here either - when I read the thread title I thought Torn Labrum was the name of a golfer - but I wish you a speedy recovery and return to the game
Old 24 June 2022, 10:41 AM   #5
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT53 View Post
I had shoulder surgery 12 years ago and I haven’t played golf since. But I also never played golf before my surgery.

In all seriousness I had both shoulders operated on one 12 years ago and one about 9. I had full 360 tears in both my labrums, partial and full thickness tears to my rotator cuffs, bone spurs removed and bicep tendon tears. It took me about six months to get back to what is now my “full” range of motion, which is about 95% of what it was before in my right arm and very close to 100 in my left.

The only thing that bothers me is throwing overhand. That never came back. I do everything else I used to do. But I wasn’t joking about never having played golf.

I was in my early thirties so that probably played apart. It would probably take longer now. But I was very patient during the six months and extremely fanatical about my PT. If my therapist said to do something I did it. More importantly if they said not to do something then I didn’t do it. Everyone’s recovery is different. Personally I wouldn’t push it, as you don’t want a set back, but your physical therapist is the best person to ask.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:56 AM   #6
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Buddy of mine had surgery on the same thing, was a pretty good player and extremely long. The good news is after about 6 months, still a decent player. But not extremely long anymore lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:58 PM   #7
bullies
"TRF" Member

As others have said it depends on the tear.
I had mine done in college (football 2007'ish) and it took a good 12 months to recover and gain back the lost weight/strength.
Since I kept playing my tear got worse and worse. When I went under the knife they took the labrum and tightened it to my chest so it should keep my shoulder in place. But, with that, it made my shoulder lose most of its range of motion. Which, if I was a decent golfer, would probably affect the swing (but I'm far from decent).
Hopefully you caught it early enough where some PT is all you'll need.

Assuming you had the MRI done?

I see Rochester in your location - I had mine done at NY hosp for special surgery by Brian Kelly - highly recommend him. I workout with a surgeon in Philly who knows him and said he's the head of the ortho department now, but may only be doing hips now. If you can get him to do your shoulder or do a consult/second opinion go for it.
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote