The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2022, 09:57 PM   #1
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Traveling to Israel w/my Tudor GMT S&G?

Hi Everyone -

I know this is, yet another, "is it safe" thread. BUT, I'm about to travel for the first time to Israel. Heading w/a tour group to the major tourist spots.

Have popped my Tudor GMT S&K on a syncrhon tropic strap. Frankly, it looks very under the radar - even more so than the red/blue steel version. I was thinking of taking it - but I've never been anywhere in that area and the Tudor is new to me, so I don't really have a sense of it's recognizability. The advice I'm getting from others in my travel group is "don't worry about it".

I have reasonably serious jet lag problems - and flying with a mechanical watch is a must. As soon as sit down, my apple watch is powered down and in my carry on, and the mechanical watch, set to the new time zone, is on my wrist. This really, really helps. A GMT is nice, for obvious reasons.

My normal practice is to travel with three watches. My ubiquitous apple watch, which goes in the backpack during flight. A G-shock or something simillar. And a durable mechanical watch of some sort - my Panerai, Doxa 300T, or my speedy. I rarely travel with a dress watch.

Advice?
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 10:03 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Everyone here knows my position on the “is it safe to travel with my watch” threads.

Inevitably you’ll have folks who chime in with a news story and a google link from said country or city you plan to visit. There will be a story of a mugging.

Guys like me will say, wear your watch and be aware of your surroundings. Don’t travel to unsafe places where you will get mugged.

I’m going to change my tack ….

If you have to ask, leave it at home.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 10:12 PM   #3
Jttran28
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
Took my datejust to Aruba with no issues at all. Just don’t go to you should let and be aware of your surroundings. If you do worry, then wear another watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jttran28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 10:34 PM   #4
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jttran28 View Post
Took my datejust to Aruba with no issues at all. Just don’t go to you should let and be aware of your surroundings. If you do worry, then wear another watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having been around these boards for a long time now, I know the perils of posting on this issue. You've got it just right - I think I'm trying to calibrate my normal risk radar on two fronts. If I have to think about a watch, I don't bring it. But this looks pretty low concern to me and adds some fun. But am I right?

First, this is my first Tudor. Love the watch! Really impressed. BUT, with a similar design code - are they confused w/Rolexes in the wild? Are they more noticeable than my other travel watches that I usually bring in this category - my Speedy, luminor, Doxa...?

Second, I don't know the area. If I were heading to Europe or on a beach vacation - US or foreign - I pretty much know what to do. This is different for me.

I'm perceiving the whole thing as pretty low risk / low worry - but I just don't know that I'm right!
Old 26 June 2022, 11:07 PM   #5
Subzy
"TRF" Member

This may be controversial on a forum where people love their GMTs....

If you are worried about it getting robbed just take a cheaper watch.

Learn the time difference between your home and Israel, then subtract that time difference when you wonder what time it is back home.
Subzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 11:18 PM   #6
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Why do you take an Apple Watch off to fly?

Is tHat a rule, like fight mode for phones, or just something you do?
Old 26 June 2022, 11:25 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Everyone here knows my position on the “is it safe to travel with my watch” threads.

Inevitably you’ll have folks who chime in with a news story and a google link from said country or city you plan to visit. There will be a story of a mugging.

Guys like me will say, wear your watch and be aware of your surroundings. Don’t travel to unsafe places where you will get mugged.

I am going to agree with my friend
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 12:09 AM   #8
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Why do you take an Apple Watch off to fly?

Is tHat a rule, like fight mode for phones, or just something you do?
No - it’s something I picked up on a while ago. The Apple Watch is always trying to tell me the current time wherever I am. Or I’ll play with it and itlll do it. Instead, I change my watch to a mechanical with my destination time. A watch that says - hey, it is really 7 hours ahead right now - seems to help with jet lag. I don’t know why, but it helps a lot.
Old 27 June 2022, 12:24 AM   #9
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThinker View Post
No - it’s something I picked up on a while ago. The Apple Watch is always trying to tell me the current time wherever I am. Or I’ll play with it and itlll do it. Instead, I change my watch to a mechanical with my destination time. A watch that says - hey, it is really 7 hours ahead right now - seems to help with jet lag. I don’t know why, but it helps a lot.
That makes sense
Old 27 June 2022, 12:26 AM   #10
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
as far as I know, Israel is pretty safe, right? I mean, yeah, there's always a threat of terroristic violence, but as far as muggings and petty crime, they don't see much of that in their country, do they?
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 12:46 AM   #11
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone -

I know this is, yet another, "is it safe" thread. BUT, I'm about to travel for the first time to Israel. Heading w/a tour group to the major tourist spots.

Have popped my Tudor GMT S&K on a syncrhon tropic strap. Frankly, it looks very under the radar - even more so than the red/blue steel version. I was thinking of taking it - but I've never been anywhere in that area and the Tudor is new to me, so I don't really have a sense of it's recognizability. The advice I'm getting from others in my travel group is "don't worry about it".

I have reasonably serious jet lag problems - and flying with a mechanical watch is a must. As soon as sit down, my apple watch is powered down and in my carry on, and the mechanical watch, set to the new time zone, is on my wrist. This really, really helps. A GMT is nice, for obvious reasons.

My normal practice is to travel with three watches. My ubiquitous apple watch, which goes in the backpack during flight. A G-shock or something simillar. And a durable mechanical watch of some sort - my Panerai, Doxa 300T, or my speedy. I rarely travel with a dress watch.

Advice?
i think your main risk is that you accidentally lose one of your three watches when juggling around between them on the road.

If i were you i'd just take one reliable watch with me and wear it all the time
Old 27 June 2022, 01:00 AM   #12
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Israel is very safe. Petty crime is low compared to other places I've visited. Tel Aviv is a thriving city and a tech/finance hub. You can walk with a Rolex all day and night.

Outside the city, losing your watch due to a bracelet malfunction is probably the worst that can happen to you. The country side is very relaxed and sparsely populated. Most people won't care what you have on you.

That said, you can get in trouble quickly in certain areas, but it won't be because of what you have. Before heading there, read up on the region's history and the current events. That's as much as I'll say before this thread gets locked.
Old 27 June 2022, 01:00 AM   #13
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
i think your main risk is that you accidentally lose one of your three watches when juggling around between them on the road.

If i were you i'd just take one reliable watch with me and wear it all the time

:)

Have no fear - this has stood me in good stead for many years. The G-Shock is just always in placed in my toiletry bag w/o fail - and tends to get a lot of use if it is rafting time, etc.
Old 27 June 2022, 01:03 AM   #14
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313781971...mis&media=COPY

Perfect dual time watch for nervous travellers
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 01:49 AM   #15
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Buy a $100 Seiko if you have concerns. You have to be OK with the situation if it gets stolen otherwise.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 02:03 AM   #16
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
In my opinion, if you have to ask leave it at home. Even if it is safe, you don't want all the stress of bring it. I want to get the new Seiko GMT as my travel watch.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:23 AM   #17
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone -

Advice?
Interesting habits we all have.

Like you, I set my watch to where I'm going the moment I step on the plane. And I never mindf*&k myself by telling myself, It's xx:00 on my body clock. I ALWAYS live in the local (unless I'm on the plane and then I live for a few hours on the destination time). I find it helps with jet lag. The mental adjustments are as powerful as the physical (water, rest, no caffeine, etc).

Also, why do you put your apple watch in the bag? Curious about this one.

Wishing you safe and fun travels!
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 04:05 AM   #18
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

This is the best advice.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 04:18 AM   #19
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Wear the watch.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 04:19 AM   #20
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post

Buy a $100 Seiko if you have concerns. You have to be OK with the situation if it gets stolen otherwise.

Where are you getting a Seiko for only $100 these days?!?!

WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 04:44 AM   #21
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Just take the watch, Israel is going to be fine unless you're planning to go to places you shouldn't be going to in the first place. I found the Jerusalem old town to be maybe not the most pleasant, but likely the most fascinating place I've been to.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 05:12 AM   #22
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Israel is very safe. Petty crime is low compared to other places I've visited. Tel Aviv is a thriving city and a tech/finance hub. You can walk with a Rolex all day and night.

Outside the city, losing your watch due to a bracelet malfunction is probably the worst that can happen to you. The country side is very relaxed and sparsely populated. Most people won't care what you have on you.

That said, you can get in trouble quickly in certain areas, but it won't be because of what you have. Before heading there, read up on the region's history and the current events. That's as much as I'll say before this thread gets locked.
That's very helpful - and totally consistent with what I've heard!
Old 27 June 2022, 05:13 AM   #23
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
Interesting habits we all have.

Like you, I set my watch to where I'm going the moment I step on the plane. And I never mindf*&k myself by telling myself, It's xx:00 on my body clock. I ALWAYS live in the local (unless I'm on the plane and then I live for a few hours on the destination time). I find it helps with jet lag. The mental adjustments are as powerful as the physical (water, rest, no caffeine, etc).

Also, why do you put your apple watch in the bag? Curious about this one.

Wishing you safe and fun travels!
Fellow Traveler!! Someone else who understands. I've tried to explain why this helps and I get very quizzical looks. One of the few concerete benefits I've ever found of spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME thinking about watches is this little jet lag trick.
Old 27 June 2022, 09:50 AM   #24
NewSc2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think this is what you're saying when you mention "if I play with it" but you do know it's synced to your phone, right? First thing I do when I get on a flight is manually change my time zone on my phone, and the watch syncs automatically.
NewSc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:07 PM   #25
TheVision
"TRF" Member

If u asking this question u already know the answer to your own question...any doubts, leave it behind. In real life, on a vacation, hardly anyone will notice what's on your wrist other than a fellow WIS'er ...or a thug.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:18 PM   #26
waxy88
"TRF" Member

As another poster had said Israel is pretty safe from a petty crime perspective.

Being mugged is highly unlikely
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:51 PM   #27
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Israel? A Tudor? You will be fine, wear it.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:57 PM   #28
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It’s safe.
Old 27 June 2022, 07:07 PM   #29
You
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
As long as you have your watches insured then you should have no problem, and if ever you got robbed the insurance will replace your watch quite quickly.

Also, if you ever got held up in a foreign country just give up your watch. Life is too valueable to lose it over a watch.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 07:20 PM   #30
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Heading w/a tour group to the major tourist spots. Advice?

You sure don't need 3 watches. Travel light, and under the radar.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote