The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 June 2022, 02:33 AM   #31
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
For a modern reference I’d always be thinking “why not?” If they’ve ditched b and p so early. Obviously for well last warranty or neo vintage it’s more understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 02:45 AM   #32
Hazzyf
"TRF" Member

Many thanks all for the input - can see both sides of the argument here.

For additional context, it's a 116600 (both watches are 2016). Is it a bit more suspect when it's a newer watch without B+P? It's a large/international grey dealer name (so imagine their authenticity card will help when moving it on?). It wouldn't be my one and only in the collection also, so this could get shifted in next 18-24 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
Could you elaborate on the specific model SD this is and what year it was manufactured?
Hazzyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:15 AM   #33
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Re: Is it a bit more suspect when it's a newer watch without B+P?

I believe some grays strip that material and replace with their own proprietary b&p materials, but this sounds less like a “gray” and more like a preowned dealer—?

In any case, for a 2016 piece, the warranty card would be worthless anyway, so it shouldn’t really be a factor—as mentioned, having it doesn’t verify/authenticate anything. And I don’t think it not being there is fishy at all: again, many (probably most) people wouldn’t retain, as they’re not thinking about collectability when purchasing. Rolex watches are made by the hundreds of thousands and relatively few are going to watch nerds like us. For most people it’s just an indulgent toy—a gift maybe. Rip open the packaging and throw it all away. The boxes take up a lot of space, anyway.

If you have authenticity/stolen concerns, just factor in a few hundred bucks and two months for an RSC service.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 03:21 AM   #34
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzyf View Post
Many thanks all for the input - can see both sides of the argument here.

For additional context, it's a 116600 (both watches are 2016). Is it a bit more suspect when it's a newer watch without B+P? It's a large/international grey dealer name (so imagine their authenticity card will help when moving it on?). It wouldn't be my one and only in the collection also, so this could get shifted in next 18-24 months.
I don't care who you buy from, but if they don't have a certified Rolex watchmaker on site that can verify authenticity, then I always build in money for an immediate service of the watch. It is the only true way to know. There are high end fakes that can fool 99% of watch service places. Not to say that box and papers proves it's authentic. But it may increase the likelihood.
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 10:56 AM   #35
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

True importance of box and papers (worth paying +15% for)?

I think about in two ways:

1) if it’s a modern watch, why in the hell don’t they have the papers? If you bought a watch, would you immediately throw away the warranty card?Especially in this day and age when everyone knows that people want them. You’d have to have a good reason for not having them.
2) If I think I might be selling the watch later, it’s a no brainer. But even if I plan to keep it forever, I’d still want it. If you inherit a watch, how much cooler is it if you have the original papers and the purchase receipt? I’m always jealous of someone that has a 4 digit Rolex with the receipt showing it was bought for $250 at a Montgomery Ward. Just adds to the provenance of the watch.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 11:03 AM   #36
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I rather not have box and papers. I don’t want another man’s name on my watch stuff. I guess if you are investing, then you may need that.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 11:04 AM   #37
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I'd much prefer box and paper unless the dealer is so reputable that they will reimburse me if it turns out it's a fake years down the line somehow.
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 11:05 AM   #38
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Especially if dealer is large. Do you expect them to open the watch up and authenticate every watch they sell?
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 11:11 AM   #39
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
If you're going to keep it for an extended period than I don't think it's worth the 15%. Boxes can be found fairly cheaply if you ever decide you want one. When it's time to get it serviced, a current service card will work as well as original papers, imho.
Excellent point, and in hindsight, of course makes perfect sense.

I paid for box and papers on all 3 of my Rolex.

Took the 16613lb and the 18238 in for a service, when they were returned, brand new Green Rolex Cards with my name on it...yup, in that moment I realized originals were now redundant...
Phrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 11:54 AM   #40
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I'd go naked in a situation like this. I rather risk the loss when selling if I was intending to keep it than guarantee myself paying more.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 12:51 PM   #41
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I wanted the B+P experience on my first Rolex. Seemed like kinda a big deal. Still happy I went that way since a few years ago it wasn't a big jump in price.

I'm not sure if there is a direct comparison but I have bought a lot of used camera gear online. The people who keep the original packaging and paperwork invariably take much better care of their gear than those who don't. This isn't always true of course. Pros will keep that stuff and just burn up the shutter in literally months and sell it and it looks practically new. But watches aren't camera gear.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 01:37 PM   #42
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
For me papers are paramount.
Box take it or leave it.

tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 04:45 AM   #43
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
I rather not have box and papers. I don’t want another man’s name on my watch stuff. I guess if you are investing, then you may need that.
i've read some pretty stupid comments about B&P in this thread but the above tops the lot. Just praying you married a virgin too.

OP go with the B&P...15% is neither here nor there in the scheme of things. Think of it like a car without the handbook set, a lost v5 and missing service book. Only an idiot would throw them away.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 05:26 AM   #44
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzyf View Post
Hi guys - about to to pull the trigger on a Rolex Sea-Dweller. Large grey dealer offered me two options (both same year, similar condition) but one without box and papers costs c.15% less.

B+P doesn’t bother me too much personally (given it’s from a reputable dealer), but this may be a watch I’ll change in next couple years. Which is the better value purchase here?

Thanks!
It won't bother me if its from a trusted source and the dealer will back it up in case there is anything wrong with where the watch came from, and if I will eventually service it at Rolex Service Center.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 09:26 AM   #45
skatamail
"TRF" Member

box and papers bro
skatamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 10:02 AM   #46
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Provenance eliminates doubt. Personally, not knowing the history would niggle at me to the point of annoyance. But that’s me.
Old 30 June 2022, 11:44 PM   #47
Cronus251
Banned

**IF YOU INSURE YOUR WATCHES** Verify with your insurer if they will cover the watch WITHOUT papers. If buying "grey" I will only buy a watch with papers so I am able to have the watch covered with my policy (they require the papers, bill of sale, and detailed pics).
Cronus251 is offline   Reply With Quote