The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 June 2020, 05:13 AM   #1
Wools
"TRF" Member

Best Commuter Backpack?

I've been taking a look online these past few days to find a really nice commuter backpack and after looking for a bit, I came across a TUMI and must admit, I thought of TRF instantly! So I thought I'll ask on here for any advice on a really well made and waterproof backpack for a commuter.

I was put on Furlough 2 months ago from my tech job here in the UK and my previous employer made it clear that they will make me, along with quarter of our office, redundent at the end of the process. It was gutting as I had worked their for over 7 years, knew the role well, was close friends with most of the team and the office was only a 5 minute drive away. But never one to just sit and lay down, I looked for other opportunities and was fortunate enough to get a great new role and I'll start in just over a months time. Excited would be an understatement!

However, as COVID-19 is still destroying lives around the world, my new company is on-boarding me at home and the office is opening at October 2020 at the earliest. So I'll be fortunate enough to have no commute for the time being but as the new role is in London, that will change my normal 5 minute drive to work to a 1 hour train ride and a 15 minute walk. That'll require a backpack!

I'm after a really well made back pack that's enough to fit a 15 inch or 13 inch laptop, nice and compact so it's comfortable to wear and not budge into people on the train, must be waterproof and padded to protect the contents.

I've seen these 2 TUMI's and really like them however, the Osborn Roll Top Backpack is not classed as waterproof and while the Ridgewood Backpack is classed as waterproof, it's actually requires a cover to be pulled over it. Not really what I'm looking for!

Osborn Roll Top Backpack
https://uk.tumi.com/harrison-harriso...avel-backpacks

Ridgewood Backpack
https://uk.tumi.com/tumi-tahoe-tumi-...xoCW2AQAvD_BwE

If anyone here has any recommendations then I'll love to see some examples. Budget is around £400 as those TUMI's are nice but not really prepared to may more than that. Obviously, and cheaper is a bonus too!

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 12 June 2020, 05:35 AM   #2
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
Paging Paul, theVTCGuy, our resident Tumi expert!

I love Tumi, I have the Alpha 2 backpack and like it alot. I tend to like the older stuff before it was acquired by Samsonite since their recent price increases don't reflect an increase in quality IMO.

I also own a Filson bag and a leather backpack from a cool company in Toronto called Daveed https://daveed.co/
Old 12 June 2020, 05:44 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My Tactical 51 backpack has been around the world and more hotels, airplanes, and airports than I could count. Still looks brand new.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 12 June 2020, 05:45 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Tumi? Did... did someone say Tumi?

Hello Wools, I don’t think we know each other but I am crazy about Tumi, when I attend my TA meetings I start off with:

My name is Paul, I’m a Tumi addict. Everyone answers: “Hi Paul”

Anyway, as Dave pointed out I am a huge Tumi user and have two backpacks, one leather one fabric. They are Alpha 2 models which have recently been replaced with the Aloha 3. For practicality, I really don’t believe you can find much better. They have enough pockets and spaces for everything whether it’s a business meeting or a weekend outing. They are incredibly tough, and IMHO quite stylish. If you were in the States I could probably get you a deal, but honestly not sure about U.K. In any regards, best of luck with your search, I don’t think you will be disappointed with a Tumi, and let me know if I can help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5123F4A8-2FA1-4F45-9AAA-C15C78315F8E.jpeg (139.9 KB, 522 views)
Old 12 June 2020, 05:53 AM   #5
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I have used a GoRuck GR1 21L as my daily bag for a few years. It’s a tank. They were originally designed to carry weights in “mudding” events, so it can handle whatever a train ride can throw at it. It’s slim, comfortable, and made from incredibly strong material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2020, 06:15 AM   #6
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I have a goruck 1, goruck 2 and the goruck Rucker large. I would recommend the 1 for daily. I use the 2 for 3-4 day trips. I’ve been using the Rucker almost daily for The past several months with a 30lbs weight plate in it and it still looks brand new. I prefer their American built versions and won’t speak for their other line as I haven’t used it. The US built are indestructible.

I also have several bags from London Bridge Trading that work great for daily and will last a life time but wouldn’t subject them to the abuse of my GoRucks even though they supply the military. It’s nothing against them it’s just the goruck screams tank. But there’s one in my work car loaded with all my gear daily.

But my favorite daily, when I’m not working, is my Defy Bucktown. It’s less tacticool than the others mentioned but built like a tank.

5.11 was mentioned previously and all my bags from them have preformed flawlessly and they are a little less expensive than the others I’ve mentioned.

Every backpack I’ve owned from kelty has also preformed flawlessly.

These are just a few names that make great bags but aren’t the normal luxury fashion brands.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:21 AM   #7
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I have used a GoRuck GR1 21L as my daily bag for a few years. It’s a tank. They were originally designed to carry weights in “mudding” events, so it can handle whatever a train ride can throw at it. It’s slim, comfortable, and made from incredibly strong material.

This! Discovered GoRuck 2 years ago. They are fairly addictive so be warned. I have 4 now and use them all.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:22 AM   #8
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Check out Chase Reeves on YouTube. He does great bag reviews and is absolutely hilarious. There’s a lot of great companies out there making great bags that most people have never heard of. He reviews them all. If he hasn’t reviewed it’s probably not worth buying.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:28 AM   #9
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texex View Post
They are fairly addictive so be warned.
Yes. Yes they are.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:30 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I love my Ogio backpack.

It's just the right size at 20 litres, has tons of pockets and it's very comfortable on the back.

Here's me with it on the train from Firenze to Rome

Sorry for the sideways pic 1559563703467.jpg.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2020, 06:31 AM   #11
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Best Commuter Backpack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texex View Post
This! Discovered GoRuck 2 years ago. They are fairly addictive so be warned. I have 4 now and use them all.

I’ve been wanting a second one for travel. It’s a pain to remove all of my work crap when I go on a trip.

Fun story, I was on a work trip in Vancouver at the convention center. My previous company plans a large annual event that the whole office has to setup. I’m an accountant, but during this huge annual meeting I was in charge of setting up the registration desk. I was looking for my walkie and set my bag on the railing (dumb). Well, it fell off and took a 3 story journey. A few colleagues saw this and I was getting razzed on my way to inspect the damage. My bag was obviously fine, but to my surprise my $2k carbon fiber work laptop was in perfect shape. I was thoroughly impressed.

Old 12 June 2020, 06:34 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Fjällräven kånken is mine, perfect for me.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:40 AM   #13
77T

Glad you’re going to bounce back from the setback. I don’t have a backpack reco because I believe you ought to go minimal on the commute.

A Messenger bag is better for your security and your back while on the train/bus. Sure waterproof is great but weight and slimline is most important on the 15 minute trek each way to the transit station.

You may eventually tire of trekking and go to a folding commuter bike and messengers go well with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 12 June 2020, 06:44 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

Hello Wools, I don’t think we know each other but I am crazy about Tumi, when I attend my TA meetings I start off with:

Anyway, as Dave pointed out I am a huge Tumi user and have two backpacks, one leather one fabric. They are Alpha 2 models which have recently been replaced with the Aloha 3. For practicality, I really don’t believe you can find much better. They have enough pockets and spaces for everything whether it’s a business meeting or a weekend outing. They are incredibly tough, and IMHO quite stylish. If you were in the States I could probably get you a deal, but honestly not sure about U.K. In any regards, best of luck with your search, I don’t think you will be disappointed with a Tumi, and let me know if I can help.
Paul, you’re not alone ... I suffer from a bag/luggage addiction. I’m not brand specific, but the struggle is real
Old 12 June 2020, 07:15 AM   #15
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Paul, you’re not alone ... I suffer from a bag/luggage addiction. I’m not brand specific, but the struggle is real
I’m here for you Brian, as your sponsor call me anytime day or night.

See you at the next meeting
Old 12 June 2020, 07:25 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Old 12 June 2020, 07:27 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Glad you’re going to bounce back from the setback. I don’t have a backpack reco because I believe you ought to go minimal on the commute.

A Messenger bag is better for your security and your back while on the train/bus. Sure waterproof is great but weight and slimline is most important on the 15 minute trek each way to the transit station.

You may eventually tire of trekking and go to a folding commuter bike and messengers go well with them.

Just traded into a Brompton folder, the available variety of bags that attach to the front carrier are perfect and make this option extremely versatile
Old 12 June 2020, 07:29 AM   #18
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

You are not the only one but mine happens to be Rimowa and also quite a few Tumi Leather pieces....
Old 12 June 2020, 07:29 AM   #19
77T

Quote:

Can an enabler actually be a sponsor?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 12 June 2020, 07:31 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
You are not the only one but mine happens to be Rimowa and also quite a few Tumi Leather pieces....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Can an enabler actually be a sponsor?

Sounds like we need a sub forum
Old 12 June 2020, 07:34 AM   #21
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Evening Paul and although you may not know me, I'm well aware of you! As I said, as soon as I saw Tumi I thought of The Rolex Forum and you.

Thank you ever so much for the recommendations. I just took a look at the Alpha 3 range and quite like the one below. Have you had the Alpha 2's for awhile and served you well?

Slim Backpack
https://uk.tumi.com/alpha-3-alpha-3-...html?cgid=T006

Thank you for offering a deal if I was in the US, it's really kind of you! I've never owned a Tumi but I do like their style and the recommendations on here over the years have stuck with me!

Thank you everyone else as well for so much inspiration and ideas! Pouring through them all now. Must admit, not considered a messenger style bag 77T till you mentioned it. Feel a backpack will be most comfortable although yes, not as secure.
Old 12 June 2020, 07:47 AM   #22
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
I have a goruck 1, goruck 2 and the goruck Rucker large. I would recommend the 1 for daily. I use the 2 for 3-4 day trips. I’ve been using the Rucker almost daily for The past several months with a 30lbs weight plate in it and it still looks brand new. I prefer their American built versions and won’t speak for their other line as I haven’t used it. The US built are indestructible.

But my favorite daily, when I’m not working, is my Defy Bucktown. It’s less tacticool than the others mentioned but built like a tank.

Really liking the GORUCK GR1 and the Bucktown Backpack (Ballistic Nylon) thanks for the recommendations, added to the list!
Old 12 June 2020, 09:03 AM   #23
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
Really liking the GORUCK GR1 and the Bucktown Backpack (Ballistic Nylon) thanks for the recommendations, added to the list!
If you decide to go the messenger route check out Defy’s recon. I have a full size chocolate leather one and use it all the time now that I’m in an assignment that requires a suit and tie. They sell those is Ballistic Nylon as well. Great company with terrific customer service. The owner answers email and phone calls type of terrific customer service.
Old 12 June 2020, 09:51 AM   #24
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Best rucksack I’ve had

https://www.nightgearstore.com/511-T...CABEgLcGvD_BwE

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 12 June 2020, 10:07 AM   #25
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
First question is what size do you need.

Cubic inches / liters?

This is my primary question to find what will be best.

If it’s a backback I prefer it to have a flatter profile / longer and wider.

It makes it more maneuverable in crowds and shopping.
Old 12 June 2020, 10:11 AM   #26
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I use a LocTote drawstring pack. I use it all the time. May not suit your needs, as it doesn’t hold a lot.

It has been all over the world with me.

Old 12 June 2020, 11:17 AM   #27
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
Evening Paul and although you may not know me, I'm well aware of you! As I said, as soon as I saw Tumi I thought of The Rolex Forum and you.

Thank you ever so much for the recommendations. I just took a look at the Alpha 3 range and quite like the one below. Have you had the Alpha 2's for awhile and served you well?

Slim Backpack
https://uk.tumi.com/alpha-3-alpha-3-...html?cgid=T006

Thank you for offering a deal if I was in the US, it's really kind of you! I've never owned a Tumi but I do like their style and the recommendations on here over the years have stuck with me!

Thank you everyone else as well for so much inspiration and ideas! Pouring through them all now. Must admit, not considered a messenger style bag 77T till you mentioned it. Feel a backpack will be most comfortable although yes, not as secure.

I use the ballistic nylon one as a gym bag, I walk up to the gym with my workout gear, shower stuff etc. It is at LEAST five years old, looks good as new and trust me, it gets beat up a lot. The leather one I use for business trips, it's only about a year old but (not to sound conceited) I like the look of it when I walk in to a business meeting with it. The leather WILL show scuffs thought, just want to be honest, and it is a little heavier then the ballistic nylon. Either one will last many many years.
Old 12 June 2020, 11:57 AM   #28
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
I live in HK and nowhere else in the world do we commute by public transport the way we do. Train, ferry, metro and busses...you name it. And my choice of backpack is the pacsafe. It’s got a rain cover tucked away at the bottom. An RFID proof compartment, a slot for a laptop, points where you can secure a lock to the zippers and to top it all off...it’s made of a slashproof material to add to it’s anti theft security.

https://www.google.com.hk/search?sa=...&bih=823&dpr=2
Old 12 June 2020, 09:28 PM   #29
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
First question is what size do you need.

Cubic inches / liters?

This is my primary question to find what will be best.

If it’s a backback I prefer it to have a flatter profile / longer and wider.

It makes it more maneuverable in crowds and shopping.
Not really sure of a size in litres or inches, I'm quite open to ideas. My requirements are that it can hold a 14 / 16-inch laptop and like yourself, prefer it to be smaller so it's more comfortable to wear everyday and doesn't knock into people easily.

Generally, it'll be carrying just the Laptop, charge cable, a water bottle, some small bits, nothing too epic as I'm not going to be filling it with survival gear.

Thanks for the great feedback so far. Would appreciate any more pointers but I'm homing in on the Tumi Warren Backpack, Tumi Alpha 3 Slim Solutions Brief Pack and the Ogio Pace 25.
Old 12 June 2020, 11:03 PM   #30
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Tumi Knox. For me it’s a good size. I also use it for day trips.
Closed Thread