The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2020, 01:51 AM   #31
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have bought a couple Tom Bihn bags and find them incredibly well designed and made. They actually design new bags with input from customers so they are constantly refining and improving.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 13 June 2020, 02:14 AM   #32
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Check out Osprey backpacks.
Top notch and won’t kill your budget.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 13 June 2020, 05:57 AM   #33
Romeojk
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
I'm guessing the TUMI amd others are winners, I've just never had the pleasure. I have been using this Incase backpack for 3-4 years and love it. They're about $200. It is light and clean looking. It is much better in person than these pictures. Good luck. You have some great choices out there.

Here's a link to them

https://incase.com/collections/bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2020, 07:16 AM   #34
psv
"TRF" Member

Ah, a dear topic for us bag-whores (is that too much? bag addicts?)

First of all, there is no need to overspend on a fancy brand-name backpack because a backpack will never be fancy or classy. It doesn't matter if it says Louis Vuitton on it, it is still a freaking backpack. Having said that, I use them from time to time, mainly because I'm in high-tech as you.

Secondly, Tumi was all the rage as an independent high-end manufacturer but that is all out the window since Samsonite bought them in 2016. At this point, you are way overpaying for what it is. Having said that #2, I got some of their luggage and a shoulder computer/office bag.

Third, you have to decide on your backpack look, there a couple of different styles, e.g. city, outdoorsy or sporty, fun/vibrant, or tactical (tacticool).

The place to start your journey is https://www.carryology.com/ test, reviews, opinions, community, etc. Go there are read up first.

At the end, I'd recommend to rather buy 2 "lesser" bags than trying to get one back to do it call. A sportier back will have more comfort, fit more stuff like gym stuff, and can often work as a overnight bag as well. I like brands like Patagonia because they come with lifetime warranty. Other ones in my arsenal are PDW (Prometheus Design Werx) SHADO 24L; Matador Freerain; Timbuk2; Triple Aught Design; Arc'Teryx; but the one that gets the most use is the Boundary Supply X-Pac Prima system because I also can use it as a camera backpack when needed.

https://www.boundarysupply.com/produ...c-prima-system

GoRuck is certainly an option but it has that tacticool vibe which I'm not sure I'd recommend in "the city", but it will surely take a beating and hold up. And don't forget to check out Dana's stuff over at Mystery Ranch https://www.mysteryranch.com/Packs/O...Everyday-Carry

Lastly, one alternative is to get a good story backpack with good weather-sealing but perhaps not completely weather-sealed - and then you put your laptop in a waterproof laptop case inside the backpack. That way you'll have more options in terms of styles. And final advice, don't buy a pack that is too heavy to start with. Keep it high speed, low drag.
Old 13 June 2020, 08:23 AM   #35
psv
"TRF" Member

Old 13 June 2020, 11:19 AM   #36
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I love backpacks and have so many. My favorite is always my Goruck Gr1, but I love the quality and design of Evergoods packs. I have the CPL24 which has amazing durable build quality and very efficient and coherent design. The quality of the stitching is impeccable. No crazy logos or weird pockets, very streamlined and the perfect size for everyday carry.

https://evergoods.us/collections/pac...nel-loader-24l
Old 13 June 2020, 07:10 PM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't do any commuting any more, but I did need a convenient bag to carry my sheet music, books, and other related gear for my guitar lessons.

I'm not necessarily bound to luxury goods and most of my stuff is pretty utilitarian, though typically of reasonable quality, so I went looking for something that was good and sturdy and would fulfill my needs adequately.

I settled on the Swissgear backpack. This thing is relatively light weight, built strong and sturdy and has such a plethora of pockets and nooks and crannies that I'm not sure I could find a use of all of them, even when I was a student.

I highly recommend it for anyone and everyone who doesn't care to spend $1500 on a good, solid, product with lots of versatility.
Pack all of your gear and then some in this extra-roomy, full-featured laptop backpack. The Swissgear 1900 ScanSmart Laptop Backpack is made from durable 1200D ballistic polyester fabric and is equipped with a large opening main compartment with rugged oversize zippers, adjustable side compression straps, a heavily padded back panel with Airflow ventilation technology, padded contour shaped shoulder straps with mesh fabric and built-in suspension as well as ScanSmart lay-flat technology for the ultimate in laptop-in-case TSA scanning for most portable computers up to 17” in size.

Other features built into the case include a dedicated floating TabletSafe™ tablet pocket, an accordion file holder, an organizer compartment, multiple internal accessory pockets, side accessory and water bottle pockets, a padded media pocket with headphone cord port, a molded top handle, a webbing daisy chain and carabiner to attach gear to when you’re on the go, a front quick-access pocket and reflective accent material built into the shoulder straps for added safety when out at night.

https://www.swissgear.com/backpacks/...aptop-backpack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SwissGear.JPG (74.1 KB, 222 views)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 14 June 2020, 01:11 AM   #38
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I settled on the Swissgear backpack. This thing is relatively light weight, built strong and sturdy and has such a plethora of pockets and nooks and crannies that I'm not sure I could find a use of all of them, even when I was a student.
Thanks for the recommendation Grady as this isn't a brand I've looked into for a backpack and it looks well made and perfect for me. Added to the list!
Old 14 June 2020, 02:33 AM   #39
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Kifaru. Made in Colorado. They're not the lightest but their designs are fantastic and their quality is the best out there. I like the Antero for a day bag. I use the Door Gunner as a hydration pack and the 14er as a camping/bush/hunting bag.
Old 23 June 2022, 10:14 AM   #40
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Get a paper bag, get a pillow case, but whatever you do don't get a Tumi.

If you know anything about Paul, you'll understand why I recommend even a paper bag before getting a Tumi.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 23 June 2022, 01:15 PM   #41
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Get a paper bag, get a pillow case, but whatever you do don't get a Tumi.

If you know anything about Paul, you'll understand why I recommend even a paper bag before getting a Tumi.
May your only son be a goalie on a nudist Hockey Team…..
Old 23 June 2022, 01:22 PM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Since you asked…. Here is my latest addictio- Uhm…. Acquisition. It was a limited edition top of the line offering from the Alpha 3 collection, it is carbon-fiber and I absolutely love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 474823B8-7F53-4C7D-8C50-5FF107F85F24.jpeg (235.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 23 June 2022, 02:04 PM   #43
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Yeti backpack.
Old 24 June 2022, 12:58 AM   #44
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I just added a Tumi Navigator as an in cabin or under-seat bag for trips where I need a bit more capacity than my beloved Tom Bihn Co-Pilot messenger.

Never thought I would spend so much for a Tumi but my wife refused to let me take my beat up, ratty and loved Osprey backpack on an upcoming fancy trip.

I wanted something relatively compact but with good organization. Too many bags seemed to be nothing more than a black hole. A unforeseen benefit is that this bag actually stands up on its own. I am pleased at how practical this simple feature can be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6346C8B4-72B9-4B11-BF57-DDE4A596289E.jpeg (109.7 KB, 140 views)

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 24 June 2022, 01:03 AM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
If you decide to go the messenger route check out Defy’s recon. I have a full size chocolate leather one and use it all the time now that I’m in an assignment that requires a suit and tie. They sell those is Ballistic Nylon as well. Great company with terrific customer service. The owner answers email and phone calls type of terrific customer service.
I thought I was the only one

I have their Recon mini as my daily. Edgy cool
Old 24 June 2022, 02:48 AM   #46
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
My wife and I have Tumi which have been great
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 24 June 2022, 06:54 AM   #47
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Billingham, make some very nice bags.
Made in England!
Waterproof.
Will last a lifetime.
I've owned and used a Billingham, large camera bag for almost 50 years...it's still in good nick, a little tired maybe, but still 'solid'.

Just my tuppence worth, but I would hesitate to commute, using a back pack, keep your stuff where you can see it!
Old 24 June 2022, 07:00 AM   #48
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I thought I was the only one

I have their Recon mini as my daily. Edgy cool
I prefer supporting small businesses and I can’t resist a small business that makes their products in Chicago!

I’ve been using my recon every day for 2.5 years and it still looks brand new. I haven’t seen them do another run in chocolate so I don’t think they made too many in that color.

I also like their ballistic nylon bags. From Feb 2020 through Sep 2021 I was traveling for work every week Mon-Friday. I used my rover for my work after work clothes and my bucket bag for my workout gear. Perfect two bag combo for me.

They have a really sharp whiskey horween overnighter out right now. I’d love to get it but would never use it over the rover. They just made that bag too good.

This picture is a few years old now. I’ve picked up a few more small things from them but I’ve run out of excuses to buy any more bags…for now.

6033057B-7838-45C5-A74E-42A1BCD9B2B5.jpeg
Closed Thread