The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 June 2022, 03:00 PM   #1
njpike
"TRF" Member

7 Inch Wrist-42mm v. 44mm

HI. I'm a watch lover, certainly not a collector.

Debating 973 and 1229. This will be my daily and get me down the road at least a few years. I have no access to an AD.

I know enough to know that the 42 will look good on me and I won't like the 47 for me. But I am drawn to the 44.

My wrist is just a tick over 7.

I could just make it easy and go with the 41 Submariner, but I am more drawn to the PAM.

All opinions welcome! Thank you!
njpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:18 PM   #2
unofficial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njpike View Post
HI. I'm a watch lover, certainly not a collector.

Debating 973 and 1229. This will be my daily and get me down the road at least a few years. I have no access to an AD.

I know enough to know that the 42 will look good on me and I won't like the 47 for me. But I am drawn to the 44.

My wrist is just a tick over 7.

I could just make it easy and go with the 41 Submariner, but I am more drawn to the PAM.

All opinions welcome! Thank you!
My wrist is around 7 inches too, had many Panerai references and 44 mm was the smallest. Those new 44 mm submersibles sit very comfy on the wrist due to the slimmer case. The 42 mm looks a bit too small, personal taste 😃
unofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 08:17 PM   #3
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
44mm is what you want,. I have the same wrist size depending on the day and had both 42 and 47. What you are seeking in 44mm is the choice
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 08:58 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I was in my AD the other day and tried on several of the 42 mm watches. Beautiful and some great designs but with that said, too small for my Panerai tastes. I have a 7.5-7.75 inch wrist depending on the weather and own 44mm and 47 mm watches from Panerai and they are great in wear and appearance. Go with the classic 44 mm as you have the wrist for it. As far as a Submariner or a Panerai it is apples to oranges. I own a Submariner-C ND, SD43 and the DSSD JC and enjoy them. And the 41mm size of the Submariner is ok because it is the size the Submariner comes in. If you are going to make the journey into Rolex the Submariner is a classic and could serve you for life. The big difference is the price depending on which Panerai you are looking at. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 10:41 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I've got 7" flat wrist and find that 47mm wears perfectly

Panerai are supposed to be bold watches IMHO.

The Radiomir will wear a bit smaller because of the lack of crown guard, so perhaps that might be a consideration

20210411_140020.jpg20210130_115914.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 10:51 PM   #6
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
44mm is not really huge. Ignore the lugs overhang if your wrist is oval , the watch face and all will still sit well. I own 42 submersible, 44 luminor ànd 45 radiomir my wrist is much smaller than yours but have an advantage of it being flat top and all fit well. Also Panerai is not supposed to be hidden in cuffs so enjoy the bulk.
Old 14 June 2022, 11:06 PM   #7
pendlepants
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
will second/third/fourth what everyone's said so far, but I've got a relatively flat 7" wrist and I think you're going to be happier with a 44mm.

I bought my PAM 233 before they'd released 42mm watches and went back and forth on selling mine to buy a smaller model. I tried on a number of 42mm watches but ultimately kept my 233 because the 42mm proportions felt wrong to me - too much panerai in a little box, watches were too tall relative to the size, etc.

the 44mm will be a big watch on you, but it won't be comical and as others have said a panerai is *supposed* to be big.
pendlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 12:32 AM   #8
multimedia
"TRF" Member

I'd go with either 44 or 47mm. It's not so much about the size of the wrist in inches/cm, but more having to do with your wrist being flat or more rounded, so to say. My wrist size is just below 7 inches, but flat. And I have no problem wearing a 47mm (like the 372 for example).

Good luck, and hope you'll find what you're looking for. :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 15 June 2022, 12:58 AM   #9
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'll never get tired of this picutre, Brian. It's such a perfectly sized (big) watch. And that colour. It's just great!

At the same time, sitting here hitting myself for getting the, at the time, brilliant idea to sell my PAM662. How I miss that watch. But I have secretly started scanning the market to see if something comes up in the future. No rusch, but eventually I shall get this one back

12.jpg

Cheers,
Joe
Old 15 June 2022, 01:07 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
I'll never get tired of this picutre, Brian. It's such a perfectly sized (big) watch. And that colour. It's just great!

At the same time, sitting here hitting myself for getting the, at the time, brilliant idea to sell my PAM662. How I miss that watch. But I have secretly started scanning the market to see if something comes up in the future. No rusch, but eventually I shall get this one back

Attachment 1298545

Cheers,
Joe
Yep I agree Joe … you zigged when you should’ve zagged, as the 662 is also a beauty

Hope you get it back
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 02:05 AM   #11
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
If it is for everyday wear I would go with the 42 over the 44. I own the 1209 (42mm) and the 1312 (44mm). The 1209 is hands down the favorite for all day wear. I was also concerned that it might be a touch small but after having it for several months, I can say it is perfect. If I got a 44mm sub it would have to be titanium instead of steel for lighter weight. Sadly most of the "Panerai must be a 47mm..." crowd have no business wearing even a 44mm let alone a 47. I am a bigger guy with 7 3/4" wrist. I think you will be happy with 42 or 44 overall as the new case dimensions wear smaller than say my Luminor 1312 44mm. If the 1209 with the blue bezel was only in 44 I probably would have gotten it because its my favorite overall look. But living in Louisiana where it gets so damn hot you want as little on as possible, the 42 is perfection.
Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 05:29 AM   #12
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

44 Pam is perfect.

With ur wrist size, u will regret getting the 42
Old 15 June 2022, 05:37 AM   #13
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Nice thing about having a 7 inch wrist is that both 44 and 42 work, at least from my perspective.

I really like my 915 and 973 and both sizes are extremely comfortable for me.

I haven’t tried the new 44mm submersible, but I’m sure that would work well for you. Good luck with the decision making!

MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 07:38 AM   #14
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian here, but with the same size wrist as you I like the 42mm Pam's for daily wear over the 44+. I own a 1392, but I also wear a PP5524 (which is also 42mm), so I guess I kind of like that size (at least for me). I envy the larger references and think they look fantastic on some folks (comical on others), but I do find that 42 wears wonderfully on a day to day basis. So for me, the 973 would be the winner. That's just my 2 cents though!
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 07:59 AM   #15
njpike
"TRF" Member

Thank you all! I'm definitely leaning 1229 with a Simona Di Stefano (likely) or a Corrigia. I'll post a few pictures when she's on my wrist.
njpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:38 PM   #16
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Looking forward to the incoming and review. Great choice!
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote