The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2022, 03:33 AM   #271
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m not lending a dime to anyone. Everything I have is for my wife and son. If you’re not them you can fly a kite.
Old 26 June 2022, 03:36 AM   #272
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m not lending a dime to anyone. Everything I have is for my wife and son. If you’re not them you can fly a kite.
Can't fault you for that

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 04:29 AM   #273
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
No, no it's not Steven. I can appreciate your generosity, but let's not get the two things confused. My brother once asked to borrow money for a car. I told him no, but I'd give him money to buy the car on the condition that we never say another word about it. Another family member need thousands in dental work...I gave the same deal. If you DON'T expect payment, it is not lending.
Am calm and totally cool with the above, though one of the lessons mom & dad taught me is:

"When you lend, you give. Never ask for or expect to be repaid."

-----------------

This 'side topic' is interesting, yet I'd go into the problem with the massive waste of resources on a global scale by humans for senseless war...... and apologies to mods/all as don't want to 'lock' this thread.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 05:24 AM   #274
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
I just want to know how everyone is affording to travel these days. Airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, gas and food costs are through the roof. I'm sitting on the sidelines and doing staycations until it all settles down.
The costs now are just astounding.

A friend of mine took his family to Disney recently as he wanted his children to experience it, and I would guess that they spent substantially more on it than I did on my Submariner even before food, which in and of itself will cost thousands of dollars over a week.

And it seems like everyone is traveling this year.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:15 AM   #275
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post

A friend of mine took his family to Disney recently as he wanted his children to experience it, and I would guess that they spent substantially more on it than I did on my Submariner even before food, which in and of itself will cost thousands of dollars over a week.

Disney World is a place that used to cater to middle class families. now seems to cater to wealthy families and well-heeled international visitors.

It's definitely sad that people think being a good parent requires taking their kid to Disney World at least once, especially if that perceived obligation causes financial burden to the family.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:20 AM   #276
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Disney World is a place that used to cater to middle class families. now seems to cater to wealthy families and well-heeled international visitors.

It's definitely sad that people think being a good parent requires taking their kid to Disney World at least once, especially if that perceived obligation causes financial burden to the family.
No diffrent than buying the latest IPhone when you can't really afford it. That and I probably could have used any number of other examples.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:31 AM   #277
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

…or families with credit cards. Personally, I try to be a good parent by not participating in any of Disney’s…..amusement.
Old 26 June 2022, 06:31 AM   #278
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post

I am wondering how much of this is due to pent-up demand from Covid? I think that people were severely stressed (obviously) and are traveling now to reward themselves for making it through those terrible times and try to get back to normalcy. What this means is there is a high-demand for travel right now, and one thing I remember from college economics was as demand goes up, so does the price. I am conjecturing that after an initial surge of travel, things will level out and prices will drop.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:34 AM   #279
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am wondering how much of this is due to pent-up demand from Covid? I think that people were severely stressed (obviously) and are traveling now to reward themselves for making it through those terrible times and try to get back to normalcy. What this means is there is a high-demand for travel right now, and one thing I remember from college economics was as demand goes up, so does the price. I am conjecturing that after an initial surge of travel, things will level out and prices will drop.
Hence, all the demand having a lot to do with the overall inflation we've been experiencing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 June 2022, 06:35 AM   #280
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post
honestly I am taking on debt to buy stocks. I figure markets have to come back and if I can hunker down for 4-5 months with debt I will be fine for 10-20 years with good gains

That’s what Jack Bogle said, he didn’t recommend it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 08:09 AM   #281
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Don’t blame you.

No wide, no kid. But all the same I’m in the mindset that need to be more like you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 09:01 AM   #282
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Am calm and totally cool with the above, though one of the lessons mom & dad taught me is:

"When you lend, you give. Never ask for or expect to be repaid."

-----------------

This 'side topic' is interesting, yet I'd go into the problem with the massive waste of resources on a global scale by humans for senseless war...... and apologies to mods/all as don't want to 'lock' this thread.
I like this Steven, I’m going to put it to practice. Widens the scope of help. Thank you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 09:08 AM   #283
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Good topic OP.

Fortunately we have prepared and are debt free as well. Thus minimizing our potential exposure to a financial reset should there be one. Diversification in investing, living under your means and staying the course are keys. IMHO

There maybe some pain ahead. It's hard to believe things can keep going at the pace they have been on.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 09:21 AM   #284
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
that's crazy i had that same exact thing happen to me last year. some guy in an audi suv (also from the middle east or eastern asia, i forgot what he said) told me he needed cash for gas because his card wasn't working and wanted to give me his jewelry. i had nothing on me but figured it was a scam anyway
Do a Google search for gas station gold scam. It's pretty common.
Old 26 June 2022, 11:15 AM   #285
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think to some extent there is the perception that a Disney trip is one of those "must-experience" things for children and some of it is probably driven by nostalgia, although I find it especially odd when it entails taking children so young that they are unlikely to even remember it. That said, it certainly appears that Disney has changed a lot since when I was a kid.

In the case of myself, there is a resort town near where I grew up that I always went to as a kid (we went there instead of Disney), and today it is incredibly overpriced and some areas aren't even all that nice, but if I had kids I would definitely want to take them so they could experience some of what I did as a child (my most vivid and happy memories of my grandfather are of times spent down there).
Old 26 June 2022, 11:20 AM   #286
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
That's a good point--some of it must be from folks not going on vacation for a few years.

I'm really hoping prices go down, as I just can't financially justify a lot of the travel I hoped to do with the current situation. Until they fall, most of my fun will be stuff that can be done in a day trip or a night or two and doesn't necessitate plane travel.
Old 26 June 2022, 11:36 AM   #287
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Taken again.

Old 26 June 2022, 11:40 AM   #288
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Taken again.

In Vegas I get this about every other week. I love when I have my 3 boys in the car and can lecture the perp about living expenses and actual life responsibilities.
Old 26 June 2022, 12:58 PM   #289
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Taken again.
Your a much nicer person than I will ever be.

I could never imagine being this way and making it in my first profession as a supervisor of as many as 120 soldiers. They would have just walked all over me. In fact had I been like this I probably would have never been in charge of 40 let alone 120 soldiers.

All I can say is this will never be me. But if you don't see this as a fault then I wouldn't sweat it. In fact unless you find it a problem why even bother trying to change? Because if it really turns out not to be you, then just be you. You just have to figure out what you want to do. Some people are better off being who they are.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 June 2022, 01:50 PM   #290
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Just looked it up. Wasn't aware of it but it felt wrong all the way around. Thanks for the heads-up.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 02:54 PM   #291
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Don’t blame you.

No wide, no kid. But all the same I’m in the mindset that need to be more like you.

Tend to agree with Dan… not sure the benefits are real. Ignorance is bliss is no joke! I’d rather see the good in others but I’m not wired for that.

Need to make a run downstate soon. I’ll DM to see if you’re in town bro
Old 26 June 2022, 08:57 PM   #292
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tend to agree with Dan… not sure the benefits are real. Ignorance is bliss is no joke! I’d rather see the good in others but I’m not wired for that.

Need to make a run downstate soon. I’ll DM to see if you’re in town bro
Would be cool to meet up. Let me know.

I always tend to see the good in people. Which is why I’m often disappointed.

Old 26 June 2022, 09:04 PM   #293
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Your a much nicer person than I will ever be.

I could never imagine being this way and making it in my first profession as a supervisor of as many as 120 soldiers. They would have just walked all over me. In fact had I been like this I probably would have never been in charge of 40 let alone 120 soldiers.

All I can say is this will never be me. But if you don't see this as a fault then I wouldn't sweat it. In fact unless you find it a problem why even bother trying to change? Because if it really turns out not to be you, then just be you. You just have to figure out what you want to do. Some people are better off being who they are.
I’ve always been a good leader. Betting I would have been exceptional in the military. Airways a regret I never enlisted.

But people have always followed me, in all types of situations, and I always tend to take control…even when I don’t want to.

Has little to do with how nice I am, or my levels of generosity, and everything to do with my character.

Old 26 June 2022, 09:16 PM   #294
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve always been a good leader. Betting I would have been exceptional in the military. Airways a regret I never enlisted.

But people have always followed me, in all types of situations, and I always tend to take control…even when I don’t want to.

Has little to do with how nice I am, or my levels of generosity, and everything to do with my character.
Yep, character has a huge thing to do with leadership. No argument there and no harm meant either. However, my experience was that having a good bit of skepticism certainly didn't hurt me either. But people can walk into any number of situations and achieve the same results with different approaches so in the end we'll really never know for sure.

But good point sir.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 June 2022, 09:18 PM   #295
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yep, character has a huge thing to do with leadership. No argument there and no harm meant either. However, my experience was that having a good bit of skepticism certainly didn't hurt me either. But people can walk into any number of situations and achieve the same results with different approaches so in the end we'll really never know for sure.

But good point sir.
Cheers my man.

Old 27 June 2022, 12:26 AM   #296
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Never heard of this, but whenever a stranger interrupts my day or moment, first reaction is; it’s a con.

99% of the time it is.

What I want to say to them is, “I’m not buying what you’re selling.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 June 2022, 09:49 PM   #297
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
Quote:
Can't wait to see their face when I break out the scale, scratch stone and acid test kit!
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 11:11 PM   #298
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
Can't wait to see their face when I break out the scale, scratch stone and acid test kit!

Wait, I buy all my gold from strangers at gas stations. That's why I carry my PMV pro in the glove box.
Old 29 June 2022, 11:38 AM   #299
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Wait, I buy all my gold from strangers at gas stations. That's why I carry my PMV pro in the glove box.
You laugh…
807DCE94-F441-4EC9-9525-DF50166780D5.jpeg
Old 29 June 2022, 01:24 PM   #300
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
You laugh…
Attachment 1301603

Actually caught a MAJOR dealer selling fake ruthenium coated silver krugs with mine. When I brought it to their attention (not even seeking a $60 / coin refund but simply informing them) I got banned from eBay until I dropped the complaint. I sent the sample data to Sigma Metalytics who confirmed it was a magnetic material whose size and weight perfectly matched ideal proportions.