The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 26 June 2022, 07:45 AM   #1
streetfish
"TRF" Member

Insurance before EURO summer?

So I’m headed off to Europe for a few weeks. I’d like to wear a few pieces without concern while there, mostly PM Daytonas and a ceramic Daytona. Currently have some blanket insurance for my collection, but would like some feedback on more specific insurance policies. I keep hearing about hodinkee insurance? Anyone have any experience?

I believe my blanket insurance is through AIG, but I’m not sure what value I’d be compensated for in the event of a theft or incident. Are there policies that compensate for market value? And how is that even determined in today’s pricing volatility?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26 June 2022, 07:53 AM   #2
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Seems like you should check into the policy you already have and see what’s what.
Old 26 June 2022, 08:00 AM   #3
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

With Hodinkee you set the price you want your watch insured at and no appraisals needed as long as the price you set is under $100K.
Old 26 June 2022, 10:16 AM   #4
karleone
"TRF" Member

You should leave your expensive watches at home. Plenty of people getting mugged / robbed / beaten for their luxury watch all over Europe (actually a worldwide issue). During warmer days and short sleeves your watch is much more visible and you become a target.
Old 26 June 2022, 10:34 AM   #5
tyngshen
"TRF" Member

Make sure you have medical insurance too, considering many have been stabbed/slashed for their watches. Life is too precious!
Old 26 June 2022, 10:36 AM   #6
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Hondinkee is your best bet
Old 26 June 2022, 12:23 PM   #7
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I have worldwide insurance through Jewelers Mutual based on secondary market value via individual appraisals of each piece covered. After being robbed for my watch in Barcelona a few years ago, I don't travel with anything valuable / recognizable / blingy... probably for the best, as when I was in Barcelona again just a couple of weeks ago a guy got mugged in the street for his Hublot, literally around the corner from my hotel. You do you - but bear in mind any Rolex may well make you a target... safe travels.
Old 26 June 2022, 12:29 PM   #8
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I have my collection insured with AllState. I choose the amount I want my watches to be insured for. I go to Europe every year. Never had any issues.
Old 26 June 2022, 01:40 PM   #9
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 June 2022, 06:31 PM   #10
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
You should leave your expensive watches at home. Plenty of people getting mugged / robbed / beaten for their luxury watch all over Europe (actually a worldwide issue). During warmer days and short sleeves your watch is much more visible and you become a target.
Couldn’t agree more… especially in London. Be safe.
Old 26 June 2022, 06:42 PM   #11
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately it makes sense ! Attracting attention with PM Rolex it could get physical. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old 26 June 2022, 07:11 PM   #12
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
You're worried about your watches but not a thought about getting stabbed/beaten. Interesting priorities.
Old 26 June 2022, 07:46 PM   #13
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Coming from Europe these threads are the funniest thing ever
Old 26 June 2022, 08:39 PM   #14
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
I agree!
Old 26 June 2022, 08:42 PM   #15
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty88 View Post
Couldn’t agree more… especially in London. Be safe.
Can you please tell me / us how many attacks there have been in London and the UK in, say the last year, to rob people of their Rolex watches?
Old 26 June 2022, 09:18 PM   #16
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

I'd assume you'd fight for the nice things you've worked hard to buy. Or better yet why not risk your life saving a whale that no one worked for.

Sent from my balloon knot
Old 26 June 2022, 09:41 PM   #17
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
I’m from Europe as well and the decline of all major European cities in recent years is astonishing.
Old 26 June 2022, 09:43 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
With Hodinkee you set the price you want your watch insured at and no appraisals needed as long as the price you set is under $100K.
That should be useful information for the OP
Old 26 June 2022, 10:04 PM   #19
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think insurance on you watches is a great thought and mine are with Hodinkee. While I do not shy away from wearing my watch it comes down to the right place and time. Many times I wear one of my many Seiko watches or a G-Shock. Other times an expensive and desirable Rolex. Much easier when I am in an environment that is know to me as opposed to not knowing. I would leave the expensive watches at home. Secured and appropriately insured. One less thing to be concerned about.
Old 26 June 2022, 10:13 PM   #20
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

I’ve worn and seen many Rolex and expensive items in London. I wouldn’t worry at all in Europe myself. I personally would be a lot more careful wearing a Rolex in the US; where I perceive crime (especially gun crime) to be very high. I think it’s about where you know and therefore feel comfortable. I suspect most places around the world are all much alike but foreign places feel more scary as they are an unknown quantity. Just be sensible - don’t have them on display in an area that feels “edgy” (or is very touristy - pickpockets etc. will focus there) - but many Europeans wear very expensive watches on a daily basis. You often see them on the London Underground for example.

Always have insurance and just hand it over when faced with a knife/gun and get a new one. They are replaceable, you are not.
Old 26 June 2022, 11:19 PM   #21
Yeezy_008
"TRF" Member

This has been circulating on social media very recently, along with the aftermath of the attack. Gruesome injury.

PM Daytona might draw unwanted attention, get yourself a beater and enjoy the vacation.

Old 26 June 2022, 11:31 PM   #22
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfish View Post
So I’m headed off to Europe for a few weeks. I’d like to wear a few pieces without concern while there, mostly PM Daytonas and a ceramic Daytona. Currently have some blanket insurance for my collection, but would like some feedback on more specific insurance policies. I keep hearing about hodinkee insurance? Anyone have any experience?

I believe my blanket insurance is through AIG, but I’m not sure what value I’d be compensated for in the event of a theft or incident. Are there policies that compensate for market value? And how is that even determined in today’s pricing volatility?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are asking for trouble. People do not carry guns so criminals pretty much do whatever they please. Insurance won't stop you being attacked or stabbed. Buy a Casio, keep a low profile and have fun.

You should be more concerned ensuring you have good health insurance if you wear those watches.
Old 26 June 2022, 11:38 PM   #23
GusFring
"TRF" Member

It’s sad but unfortunately the way of the world, if you have any doubts just leave it at home buy something quirky and enjoy your trip without constant worry.
Old 26 June 2022, 11:48 PM   #24
karleone
"TRF" Member

All the people telling you it’s all fine and you should be aware of your surroundings… Lol. Complete BS and people think they can give such bad advices just because they went once on a week-end in a city somewhere and nothing happened to them.
Look at what happens all over the world. Not only London but Paris, Barcelona, NY, LA… It’s happening everywhere!

Old 26 June 2022, 11:51 PM   #25
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Can you please tell me / us how many attacks there have been in London and the UK in, say the last year, to rob people of their Rolex watches?
It’s happening like every week or so in London. Just check PaulThorpe YouTube Chanel and you’ll see.
Old 27 June 2022, 12:13 AM   #26
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
It’s happening like every week or so in London. Just check PaulThorpe YouTube Chanel and you’ll see.
Well I’d prefer to know actual recorded crime figures as opposed to just watching someone on YouTube who has presumably nothing at all do do with policing or accurate crime recording.

Do you have any facts about Rolex robberies in the UK?
Old 27 June 2022, 12:41 AM   #27
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheaven View Post

This is actually funny
Old 27 June 2022, 01:11 AM   #28
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewi777 View Post
I’ve worn and seen many Rolex and expensive items in London. I wouldn’t worry at all in Europe myself. I personally would be a lot more careful wearing a Rolex in the US; where I perceive crime (especially gun crime) to be very high. I think it’s about where you know and therefore feel comfortable. I suspect most places around the world are all much alike but foreign places feel more scary as they are an unknown quantity. Just be sensible - don’t have them on display in an area that feels “edgy” (or is very touristy - pickpockets etc. will focus there) - but many Europeans wear very expensive watches on a daily basis. You often see them on the London Underground for example.

Always have insurance and just hand it over when faced with a knife/gun and get a new one. They are replaceable, you are not.
Meaningless comment because “the US” is vastly larger than the UK. Some places and cities in the US are safer than London, while other places are less safe. what you see on the BBC are the most salacious snapshots of life in an expansive 330 million person country, often presented with a politicized agenda.
Old 27 June 2022, 01:38 AM   #29
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I’d prefer to know actual recorded crime figures as opposed to just watching someone on YouTube who has presumably nothing at all do do with policing or accurate crime recording.

The U.K. is not that bad it’s the centre of London that is the worst, wear an expensive watch in Mayfair and you will be robbed, in the last three years thousands must of been stolen, the police don’t seem to care either.

Old 27 June 2022, 01:57 AM   #30
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Call the MET Police and ask them
Closed Thread