The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2020, 10:52 PM   #1021
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Just chiming in on the Vettel racing point situation as well.

It’s really unfortunate because I do not see Stroll kicking his son out of the team to another. His father has seemingly largely just been funding a lot of it just to promote Lance as a driver.

I’ve been a pretty big Perez fan since he came into F1 and I feel personally that he’s a great driver that keeps getting the short end of the stick. It would be real shame to see it happen to him again Racing point has provided what looks to be a reasonably decent car this year. It was painful that season he went to McLaren, and they cars had recently become s**t, and they essentially deferred the blame to the drivers. Or when Ocon was his team mate, but for some reason (F1 politics I assume) kept getting Ocon more recognition and praise from the announcers, and certain other drivers despite Perez putting in a better drive. Then Ocon getting on social media when he was wrong much of the time and ranting about how awful Perez is.

He’s one of the best of the rest. I would love to see him get a seat at one of the top teams one year to see the results. It’s a shame he keeps getting the short end of the stick.
Old 19 July 2020, 12:58 AM   #1022
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
It’s really unfortunate because I do not see Stroll kicking his son out of the team to another. His father has seemingly largely just been funding a lot of it just to promote Lance as a driver.
Junior Stroll was interviewed before quali and in response to a question he said (paraphrasing): “I don’t mind who my team-mate is next season”, sounding very much like Lance knows he isn’t going anywhere.
Old 19 July 2020, 04:25 AM   #1023
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Father Stroll has not heavily invested in Force India & Aston Martin to let his son be replaced by someone else. Be it Vettel or any other. Even more so after today’s quali where the average son-driver scores 3rd.

Perez is looking at Alfa Romeo and Haas to find a new home for 2021.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 05:13 AM   #1024
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Still a shame though for Perez being consistently around the top 7 in the car he is in, and essentially having to take a step back car wise as racing point has a pretty good car thus far this year.

I really feel he should be moving to a quicker car but it almost seems like post McLaren he got sort of black balled. I’m sure he will find a seat, it’s just a shame a great driver has to put up such a fight for a seat at a top team.
Old 19 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #1025
dauster
"TRF" Member

I’m somewhat new to F1 but enjoying it for the last two years... what’s up with Ricardo is it just the slow Renault car or is he going through something? At least at Red Bull he was winning races here and there. Seems like a bad situation. But with Mclaren having more pace this season it seems like he might do much better next year.
Re Perez vs Stroll vs Ocon. Why is Perez always portrayed as the bad guy ? The Netflix documentary always showed him as the reckless Mexican that stayed in F1 because of some friendship with a wealthy businessman.
Agreeing with everyone here stroll ain’t going nowhere as long as his dad is involved.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 05:59 AM   #1026
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Absolutely agree with you. It is such a pitty that Bottas is occupying a hot spot in MB and so is Albon in RB.

Also I can’t imagine how frustrated Alonso must have felt through all those past years when he drove lousy cars.

I’d love to see the 2 (IMHO) most aggressive and talented drivers - Verstappen & Leclerc racing for MB. That would be a feast!
Old 19 July 2020, 06:05 AM   #1027
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post

Re Perez vs Stroll vs Ocon. Why is Perez always portrayed as the bad guy ? The Netflix documentary always showed him as the reckless Mexican that stayed in F1 because of some friendship with a wealthy businessman.
Agreeing with everyone here stroll ain’t going nowhere as long as his dad is involved.
Well, I’ve been following F1 for 3 decades now and must tell one thing - the Netflix documentary is not only boring but at the same time very biased. IMO based on a scenario written somewhere far from the race tracks.

Anyway, it’s nice to see that Americans follow F1. This season, strange like hell, but is very exciting. Let the rain rain tomorrow and we will have a great show!

Cheers from Europe
Old 19 July 2020, 06:06 AM   #1028
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I’m somewhat new to F1 but enjoying it for the last two years... what’s up with Ricardo is it just the slow Renault car or is he going through something? At least at Red Bull he was winning races here and there. Seems like a bad situation. But with Mclaren having more pace this season it seems like he might do much better next year.
Car is like 95% of the performance with the driver making up that last bit. If the car is a second off then then it doesn't matter how good your drivers are. The chances of winning are almost 0. If the car is a couple of tenths off the pace then the driver can make a huge difference. Renault was hoping to make a big push last year which is why they got Ricciardo but the performance has gotten worse from 2018 to 2019.

RB builds a much better car and is a better organization over Renault which is why you saw Ricciardo basically doing nothing last year and the same is happening this year.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 08:11 AM   #1029
bibbi
"TRF" Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

So what’s your top three for tomorrow?

Here is mine:

1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Norris
Old 20 July 2020, 02:05 AM   #1030
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
It is such a pitty that Bottas is occupying a hot spot in MB !
Bottas is basically the perfect driver for that seat though. He's good enough to score consistent podiums for the WCC, but not quite fast enough to genuinely challenge Hamilton over the season and cause the issues that arose when Rosberg was the other Merc driver. He doesn't play the political games and listens to team orders. They don't really want or need anyone better than him right now.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 02:43 AM   #1031
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
Bottas is basically the perfect driver for that seat though. He's good enough to score consistent podiums for the WCC, but not quite fast enough to genuinely challenge Hamilton over the season and cause the issues that arose when Rosberg was the other Merc driver. He doesn't play the political games and listens to team orders. They don't really want or need anyone better than him right now.
That pretty well sums it up for Bottas..he is good..

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 03:09 AM   #1032
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Well... I love F1 but I have to say. That was a pretty boring race. Everyone got in position the first couple laps and that was it.
Old 20 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #1033
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Well... I love F1 but I have to say. That was a pretty boring race. Everyone got in position the first couple laps and that was it.

Are you sure we were watching the same race?

Only for P1 was that true - the other podium spots and points positions were up for grabs all the way until the final lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 04:09 AM   #1034
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:

He has been the right wingman for years now.

The pre-race interviews with Seb were melancholy. What could have been a great challenge to Merc was lost in the engine design department for the GPU and hybrid-6 ICE.

Now Pérez sees the writing on the wall. And we are only through Rd. 3 - silly season and silent stands just deflated any sense of excitement.

FIA and F1 might do well to open the gates to spectators same as INDYCAR did at Road America and IMSA did at Sebring this weekend.

Old 20 July 2020, 04:15 AM   #1035
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Are you sure we were watching the same race?

Only for P1 was that true - the other podium spots and points positions were up for grabs all the way until the final lap.

I guess not. I am a bit hungover though honestly, maybe my mind wandered elsewhere.

Looking back through the final results I guess you were right thinking through it a bit. I really don’t recall any serious battles for position though. Occasionally, but nothing crazy. Not a really intense race. Like I said though, maybe my mind was a bit elsewhere.
Old 20 July 2020, 04:51 AM   #1036
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This assessment is spot on.

By the same token I suspect RB have messed up with their driver lineups. Reading between the lines Ricciardo left because he knew Max was the de facto number one in the team - a situation RB have form for previously allowing to cause major ructions i.e. Multi-21 and the thin end of the wedge Mark Webber got from the team when up against Vettel.

They surely could have found some way of keeping him? Verstappen has the clear beating of every driver on the grid in equal machinery bar Hamilton, but Ricciardo is one of only one or two others who could keep him honest whilst also pushing for wins when one or both Mercs fall off the track - as he proved adept at doing whilst a RB driver. He also seemed to genuinely get on with Max, which doesn’t necessarily appear to be easy. It’s hard to see how any driver can come into RB and not end up on the scrap heap because - despite Verstappen being preternaturally talented - it’s just not a good look when your team mate out qualifies you by half a second and finishes half a lap up the road every race. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that they insist on installing rookies alongside Max. Albon is a decent driver but I’m not sure he will make it to the end of the season with his arse in the same seat.

Somebody needs to tell Marko to pay off Renault and parachute Alonso in next year for the entertainment value of seeing him and Max have a ruck every other weekend.
Old 20 July 2020, 05:10 AM   #1037
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
This assessment is spot on.

By the same token I suspect RB have messed up with their driver lineups. Reading between the lines Ricciardo left because he knew Max was the de facto number one in the team - a situation RB have form for previously allowing to cause major ructions i.e. Multi-21 and the thin end of the wedge Mark Webber got from the team when up against Vettel.

They surely could have found some way of keeping him? Verstappen has the clear beating of every driver on the grid in equal machinery bar Hamilton, but Ricciardo is one of only one or two others who could keep him honest whilst also pushing for wins when one or both Mercs fall off the track - as he proved adept at doing whilst a RB driver. He also seemed to genuinely get on with Max, which doesn’t necessarily appear to be easy. It’s hard to see how any driver can come into RB and not end up on the scrap heap because - despite Verstappen being preternaturally talented - it’s just not a good look when your team mate out qualifies you by half a second and finishes half a lap up the road every race. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that they insist on installing rookies alongside Max. Albon is a decent driver but I’m not sure he will make it to the end of the season with his arse in the same seat.

Somebody needs to tell Marko to pay off Renault and parachute Alonso in next year for the entertainment value of seeing him and Max have a ruck every other weekend.
There’s still the giant elephant you didn’t mention. RB could go after Vettel. While I doubt Vettel would beat Max he could at least not get lapped by him and provide enough support to harass Mercedes. Right now it’s Hamilton and Bottas against Max. Albon is miles off the pace. Only difference between Albon and Gasly is Albon can at least fight through the mid field to get behind the lead pack.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 06:18 AM   #1038
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
There’s still the giant elephant you didn’t mention. RB could go after Vettel. While I doubt Vettel would beat Max he could at least not get lapped by him and provide enough support to harass Mercedes. Right now it’s Hamilton and Bottas against Max. Albon is miles off the pace. Only difference between Albon and Gasly is Albon can at least fight through the mid field to get behind the lead pack.
I agree that Vettel would do a job at RB but I think there are two issues with that. The first is that Vettel would be monumentally expensive - he’s on much more than Ricciardo was on. Yes the fizzy drink makers can afford him, but it’s a lot of money for a number two. Secondly, RB probably figure (correctly) that they’d be unable to prevent the drivers from falling out with each other and Vettel has never shown a particular propensity for following team orders. I’ve got the distinct impression that Max and Seb don’t really like each other.

Failing Alonso, I do wish it would happen though as it’d be hugely entertaining.
Old 21 July 2020, 04:59 AM   #1039
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Well, I’ve been following F1 for 3 decades now and must tell one thing - the Netflix documentary is not only boring but at the same time very biased. IMO based on a scenario written somewhere far from the race tracks.

Anyway, it’s nice to see that Americans follow F1. This season, strange like hell, but is very exciting. Let the rain rain tomorrow and we will have a great show!

Cheers from Europe
thanks and sorry to disappoint but I am German just moved to the Bay Area 5 years ago.

Cheers from Cali
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 04:30 PM   #1040
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I do not think Albon or Gasly are shabby drivers. Just that Max is just too talented. All his team mates will look very ordinary.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:59 PM   #1041
77T
2024 Pledge Member

News of the day...released just before FP1 today.

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision

Old 8 August 2020, 12:15 AM   #1042
jatco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
News of the day...released just before FP1 today.

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision

"Even though Renault’s protest against the legality of the RP20 was successful after Racing Point were deducted 15 points and fined 400,000 Euros, they can continue to use the Mercedes-inspired brake ducts as they are not illegal from a technical perspective, only a sporting one."
https://www.planetf1.com/news/horner...point-verdict/

Old 8 August 2020, 12:16 AM   #1043
jatco
"TRF" Member

Last weekend's Silverstone GP had a hell of a finish...

Old 8 August 2020, 12:31 AM   #1044
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
"Even though Renault’s protest against the legality of the RP20 was successful after Racing Point were deducted 15 points and fined 400,000 Euros, they can continue to use the Mercedes-inspired brake ducts as they are not illegal from a technical perspective, only a sporting one."

https://www.planetf1.com/news/horner...point-verdict/

Correct - the FBD & RBD are legal parts that were produced in a manner non-compliant with LP’s for 2020.

The Stewards levied a penalty short of DQ.

The penalty was to represent the amount of advantage RP gained from copying. It really amounts to millions when you consider the value of a single point in season F1 funds distributed to Constructors.

Old 8 August 2020, 11:48 PM   #1045
jatco
"TRF" Member

Old 9 August 2020, 01:16 AM   #1046
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
2022 can't come soon enough, though I'm starting to worry about Mercedes carrying their dominance right into the next set of regs.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 03:08 AM   #1047
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

What a race!

Gasly Sainz Stroll. Who saw that coming!

Hamilton and Merc mistake opened things up.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 04:46 AM   #1048
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

It was a great race today. I feared another boring Merc 1&2 but it turned out to be something special. Not for my red bull team, but what a day for Pierre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #1049
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great race today! This is what every race would look like without Mercedes dominance. Now, if only David Croft would STOP SCREAMING!
Old 7 September 2020, 08:00 AM   #1050
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Happy for Pierre, wonder if red bull will bump him back to the top team.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote