The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 July 2020, 05:56 AM   #61
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
We're talking about a restoration, not a regular service.

For a modern watch, 500chf is still cheap.
You will be surprised what they will charge for a new custom dial and a custom insert and how it will look. Erpin above is quoted 8k for basically a service of the movement of his 6542.

The thread starter could luck out and get an original dial somehow from Rolex. I would not bet on it though and it will not come cheap. Still as crowncollection says it could be worth while. It will still be very big money to spend without having any idea of what would come back. I would still be interested to see how that goes as its not my money that will be spent.

And yes; 500chf is plenty for a normal service of a standard movement.
Old 29 July 2020, 05:59 AM   #62
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
You will be surprised what they will charge for a new custom dial and a custom insert and how it will look. Erpin above is quoted 8k for basically a service of the movement of his 6542.

The thread starter could luck out and get an original dial somehow from Rolex. I would not bet on it though and it will not come cheap. Still as crowncollection says it could be worth while. It will still be very big money to spend without having any idea of what would come back. I would still be interested to see how that goes as its not my money that will be spent.

And yes; 500chf is plenty for a normal service of a standard movement.
I'm an RSC watchmaker and have seen the work of the heritage department with my own eyes plenty of times.

Yes the restoration is expensive, but for the work done it is a good price.

As for regular service on modern references I think the current Rolex pricing is fair, but as prices rise, this will too, as it should.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 06:24 AM   #63
roh123
"TRF" Member

Prices vary between RSC and independants as I am sure you are aware of. RSC is probably not the benchmark on the market when it comes to servicing vintage watches.

Each to their own but I am not really a fan of the Heritage department custom made parts. Looks nothing better than random aftermarket parts on the internet. Only difference is that you pay an arm and a leg for it and get a paper saying it is done by Rolex.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:33 AM   #64
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Prices vary between RSC and independants as I am sure you are aware of. RSC is probably not the benchmark on the market when it comes to servicing vintage watches.

Each to their own but I am not really a fan of the Heritage department custom made parts. Looks nothing better than random aftermarket parts on the internet. Only difference is that you pay an arm and a leg for it and get a paper saying it is done by Rolex.
Not everyone can appreciate true skill and craftsmanship.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:34 AM   #65
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not everyone can appreciate true skill and craftsmanship. ��
I am sure you are very good but so are quite a few independants. Not all though.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:38 AM   #66
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I am sure you are very good but so are quite a few independants. Not all though.
Wasn't talking about myself or independents.

The true vintage value might be lost in the restoration, I get that vintage enthusiasts and collectors don't like this. But the skill involved in making new parts the old way with old tools is a dying art.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:42 AM   #67
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wasn't talking about myself or independents.

The true vintage value might be lost in the restoration, I get that vintage enthusiasts and collectors don't like this. But the skill involved in making new parts the old way with old tools is a dying art.
Agreed. Many skilled oldschool independants do work like that. Not like modern watchmakers that order parts and replace. Different school as you say.

On-topic I doubt the owner would be happy to get the watch back with a freshly made dial and insert and an invoice of 18k chf. It would however be interesting to see.
Old 29 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #68
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
How TF does a service take 36 months??
Sorry for the typo error. Its 36 weeks not 36 months.
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 11:26 AM   #69
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyrolly View Post
It was worn daily by the original purchaser till they passed, then it was serviced (new tube, gasket and "the face refinished with the same original color")
Old 29 July 2020, 02:45 PM   #70
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Agreed. Many skilled oldschool independants do work like that. Not like modern watchmakers that order parts and replace. Different school as you say.

On-topic I doubt the owner would be happy to get the watch back with a freshly made dial and insert and an invoice of 18k chf. It would however be interesting to see.
I think that a freshly (correct) made dial and insert would be far better than what it is at the moment.
In this case, Rolex heritage is, in my view, the best option as it will come back with documentation, serviced and in the correct configuration.

PS: if we are talking vintage watches and service.....I would definitely avoid RSC and go with an independent. One that I can speak to directly and updates me as work goes on.
But, this is a special case, and you kind of need to send it to Rolex due to the wrong parts.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:53 PM   #71
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I think that a freshly (correct) made dial and insert would be far better than what it is at the moment.
In this case, Rolex heritage is, in my view, the best option as it will come back with documentation, serviced and in the correct configuration.
Question is if it is worth the silly money it costs or not. Only the owner knows. I have no idea if the cost will raise the value of the watch and no one knows how the watch will turn out. Checking the Heritage custom dials and inserts I’ve seen on subs I would personally stay away from such piece. I also recall seeing one sold at Christies I think some years ago where the service papers showed a cost that was not close to be covered by the end result.

This is however a super rare reference so maybe a 10k+++ chf service will make it a 100k+ watch. I really don’t know.
Old 29 July 2020, 09:54 PM   #72
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
This. A fully correct watch with Rolex documentation will make this much nicer, and will increase its value more than the service will cost.

Assuming the OP has the means to fund such an expensive restoration, that is.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 10:11 PM   #73
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This. A fully correct watch with Rolex documentation will make this much nicer, and will increase its value more than the service will cost.

Assuming the OP has the means to fund such an expensive restoration, that is.
It will not look correct. It will more look like a Bamford watch based on a 6541.

Sothebys sold this Heritage dept custom 3-6-9 5513 many years ago. Decide for yourself if it looks great and if the realized price was worth the trouble.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...66.lotnum.html

Old 29 July 2020, 11:36 PM   #74
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It will not look correct.
It will look better than it does now... Considering it was gifted to the OP, there won't be any loss however much the restoration costs.
Old 29 July 2020, 11:52 PM   #75
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It will look better than it does now... Considering it was gifted to the OP, there won't be any loss however much the restoration costs.
To most people the imagined cost is a ton of money. Just paying a 1000 chf to get the estimate is a lot to most. And I would be surprised if this stops short of 20k chf in the end. It could probably go well beyond that with a proper service and a new dial and insert. But hopefully we will find out and see the outcome.

I would still try to sell it as is. Or keep it as is for sentimental reasons.
Old 30 July 2020, 12:21 AM   #76
thisismyrolly
"TRF" Member

What would be the best way to send it in?
thisismyrolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 12:28 AM   #77
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyrolly View Post
What would be the best way to send it in?
Reach out to them directly by phone, email or letter. You will need to start asking for their Heritage service. It’s not a given they will accept the work.

ROLEX SA
Rue François-Dussaud, 3-5-7
1211 Genève 26 – Switzerland
+41 22 302 22 00
enquiries@rolex.com

Best of luck!

Perhaps send a message to the user Erpin who currently has a watch with them. Maybe he can help you get going?
Old 30 July 2020, 12:29 AM   #78
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
My opinion is inline with roh123 about the dial..... the risk and money involved in trying to make it a 'better' watch, or fix it up, is high. Especially if the end result will not add as much to the value of the watch, or if the dial work has not been up to an amazing standard.
good luck OP. and congratulations, a beautiful gift.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 10:21 AM   #79
Michael M.
Banned

It's doubtful that a Rolex Geneva service will add any value to the watch. The service costs will eclipse any gain in value.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:43 AM   #80
ritchieshane
"TRF" Member

Gents,
I have a 1959 6542 GMT which requires a new Bezel. I lost the original and it was not a Bakalite. It had already been replaced prior to me getting the watch and I also need an original seconds hand.

Any help would be appreciated
ritchieshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:32 AM   #81
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawadhussain View Post
What is the best wax for watches?
It can be very hard to find a good long lasting car wax which provides your car with that showroom finish. But you don’t need to worry about that anymore as we have done research in your stead and created a list containing the best car wax for your car.
What the hell?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 01:44 PM   #82
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawadhussain View Post
What is the best wax for watches?
It can be very hard to find a good long lasting car wax which provides your car with that showroom finish. But you don’t need to worry about that anymore as we have done research in your stead and created a list containing the best car wax for your car.

Lovely post... and your trolling comments in the last few topics cracked me up.....
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:58 PM   #83
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
What the hell?
The mods do a good job of regulating troll content here, Kingface. This guy is gone.
Old 8 August 2020, 03:21 AM   #84
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
The mods do a good job of regulating troll content here, Kingface. This guy is gone.
I saw that. Just so odd to put the effort in to post comments, engage in a discussion, all to hawk car wax....on a watch forum.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:27 AM   #85
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
hoping to see the verdict on this eventually. read about the 6542 and it seems rolex can do wonders when they want with vintage
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:38 AM   #86
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
hoping to see the verdict on this eventually. read about the 6542 and it seems rolex can do wonders when they want with vintage
Really? What more than a proper movement service can they accomplish? Curious!
Old 8 August 2020, 04:00 AM   #87
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I was gifted this and wanted to learn more

Quote:
Really? What more than a proper movement service can they accomplish? Curious!

The RH dept. can fabricate parts that are no longer available from the spares inventory. A regular RSC can’t do a proper movement service if there are no spares.

While RSC’s can do a lot, they also don’t refinish dials and hands to historical forms - they only replace them. Rolex won’t perfectly replicate anything from the past - there will always be some differences. They try to restore a watch close to what it once was.

These are the things that raise the cost to such high levels. In many cases the cost isn’t worth it for a speculator who hopes to flip the watch. The work itself invalidates that for which a collector pays top dollar - namely, originality.

The department’s mission is bringing back to life those important models that HQ itself has acquire for the corporate collection. But they also help private parties bring back to life the watches which have significant intrinsic value, too.

My watchmaker and I did that for an old Omega and the money spent was well beyond what that 60 year old Seamaster was worth on the open market. But my brother now cherishes our Father’s old watch in perfect working order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 04:16 AM   #88
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The RH dept. can fabricate parts that are no longer available from the spares inventory. A regular RSC can’t do a proper movement service if there are no spares.

While RSC’s can do a lot, they also don’t refinish dials and hands to historical forms - they only replace them. Rolex won’t perfectly replicate anything from the past - there will always be some differences. They try to restore a watch close to what it once was.

These are the things that raise the cost to such high levels. In many cases the cost isn’t worth it for a speculator who hopes to flip the watch. The work itself invalidates that for which a collector pays top dollar - namely, originality.

The department’s mission is bringing back to life those important models that HQ itself has acquire for the corporate collection. But they also help private parties bring back to life the watches which have significant intrinsic value, too.

My watchmaker and I did that for an old Omega and the money spent was well beyond what that 60 year old Seamaster was worth on the open market. But my brother now cherishes our Father’s old watch in perfect working order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The custom parts are like anything custom made. It just have Rolex paperwork. It’s not spectacular in any way. It doesn’t look lite the old parts for obvious reasons.

Each to their own though. I just found the comment funny as the 6542 referred to gets an 8k+ chf movement service with Rolex Geneva service papers. No wonders to me.
Old 8 August 2020, 04:36 AM   #89
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Are there more examples of RSC Heritage department's work other than the 3-6-9 sub posted above?
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 04:40 AM   #90
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Are there more examples of RSC Heritage department's work other than the 3-6-9 sub posted above?
Yes. Most pics are dead tho but if you google around and image search you can see some pics of big crowns etc.