The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 August 2020, 05:59 AM   #1
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

5 digit Sub with 6 digit glidelock bracelet?

My brother has an 1988 sub and wants to put the newer six digit reference bracelet on it. Does anyone know if it will fit?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Dr.Tautology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:04 AM   #2
ianmcg
"TRF" Member

Yes it fits. Whilst not exactly vintage a 16610LV with a glidelock bracelet is the ultimate sapphire sub.

For vintage originality is important to me but this is one franken combo that is truly perfect.
ianmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:10 AM   #3
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcg View Post
Yes it fits. Whilst not exactly vintage a 16610LV with a glidelock bracelet is the ultimate sapphire sub.

For vintage originality is important to me but this is one franken combo that is truly perfect.
Gotcha. He's got the original bracelet, but just prefers the newer one with SEL and the glidelock. Just to be clear he wants to put the whole six digit bracelet on his sub, not just the glidelock clasp. With the difference in cases, I would have assumed the endlinks would be significantly different between the 5 and 6 digit references, and not compatible.

Old 8 August 2020, 06:35 AM   #4
ianmcg
"TRF" Member

If the 5 digit one has solid end links with no lug holes then the whole bracelet fits. Finding one is not easy or cheap though. So to clarify it will fit later 5 digit subs so 1988 will be too early I think for the whole bracelet to fit because as you say the end links are completely different clasp will fit. The whole bracelet fits 5 digit SEL GMTs too.
Old 8 August 2020, 06:37 AM   #5
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the 5 digit one has solid end links with no lug holes then the whole bracelet fits. Finding one is not easy or cheap though. So to clarify it will fit later 5 digit subs so 1988 will be too early I think for the whole bracelet to fit because as you say the end links are completely different clasp will fit. The whole bracelet fits 5 digit SEL GMTs too.
Okay, my brother's is a holes case with hollow links. My AD said he can get the bracelet but obviously he doesn't want to drop 3k on the bracelet if it won't fit.

Old 8 August 2020, 06:42 AM   #6
ianmcg
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the confusion I jumped in a bit quick as the LV is the only 5 digit sub I have and it definitely fits but the no lug holes cases were only introduced in early 2000. So if he has holes it won’t fit. Only the clasp will which is not really the same thing.
Old 8 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #7
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion I jumped in a bit quick as the LV is the only 5 digit sub I have and it definitely fits but the no lug holes cases were only introduced in early 2000. So if he has holes it won’t fit. Only the clasp will which is not really the same thing.
Cool, thanks for the help.

Old 8 August 2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Hub6152
Banned

The case on the 6 digit is thicker than the older 5 digit cases so I’m not sure about this. I know that the RubberB Straps for the older 5 digit models are not the same as the those for the 6 digit models.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:57 PM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A 97200 glidelock bracelet will not directly fit a 1988 5-digit case. You can swap over just the clasp, but thats it.
Old 8 August 2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
A 97200 glidelock bracelet will not directly fit a 1988 5-digit case. You can swap over just the clasp, but thats it.
Thanks friendo. I appreciate the elaboration. I don't know if my brother would want just the clasp, but its nice to know that's an option.

Old 8 August 2020, 02:20 PM   #11
CarpetRyd
"TRF" Member

For a SEL bracelet to fit, the case needs this “lip” between the lugs, otherwise it won’t work. The 97200 also adds a substantial amount of weight to the watch, it’s not going to feel as light and airy as that 93150 he’s currently rocking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EAC0D35E-23FD-4825-AFC8-DD34B556CEA4.jpeg (137.8 KB, 242 views)
CarpetRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:35 PM   #12
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetRyd View Post
For a SEL bracelet to fit, the case needs this “lip” between the lugs, otherwise it won’t work. The 97200 also adds a substantial amount of weight to the watch, it’s not going to feel as light and airy as that 93150 he’s currently rocking...
I didn’t know this . It is fascinating reading these posts and learning something new

I may be mistaken but around 2010 or 2011 I’m sure the guy who worked for Bloomberg fitted a 97200 to a 1665 DRSD , maybe he modified something I’ll try and search it and stick it on here

The guys name was Puffy , I just sent him a PM
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote