The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2020, 10:34 AM   #1501
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Anyone have a source for physical gold without crazy premiums? I can hear the printing presses humming from all the way up here.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:39 AM   #1502
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
Anyone have a source for physical gold without crazy premiums? I can hear the printing presses humming from all the way up here.
Get a delorean and some plutonium... but I like APMEX but the consumer geared gold/silver is all sky high premiums... remember though, you’re already buying a piece of metal with no real utility because it’s been a store of value the last few thousand years. If you’re really worried, the spot + premium shouldn’t concern you as much...
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:54 AM   #1503
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Gainesville Coin, premiums are crazy right now tho. Open up a cash 4 gold site imho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 02:29 PM   #1504
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Sure, I'll sell gold to you at spot once it hits $3,000 / oz.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:28 PM   #1505
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Some sell off this morning to be expected.

Bouncing around at the end of month/quarter and rebalancing.

I will be looking more closely tomorrow at some names and portfolio moves when I have a sense of where we stand. I did most of my forced rebalancing in the last two weeks. The cash I have available can sit as I am not in a rush to chase anything.

The bottom remains elusive as the farther we move away from the last low, the more likely it was the bottom. That is not to say we could remain down here and not make moves up. There may be a period of sideways trade and consolidation until the worldwide picture becomes clearer.

Lots of demand destruction talking place, oil, commodities, credit . . . but there are also parts of the economy that doing very well, online retail, tech, telecom, healthcare.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:39 PM   #1506
healer
"TRF" Member

Good morning, thanks for the insight;) will keep it in mind;)
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:34 AM   #1507
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

I'm wondering what's going to happen when oil hits single digit prices for a barrel.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:43 AM   #1508
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Some sell off this morning to be expected.

Bouncing around at the end of month/quarter and rebalancing.

I will be looking more closely tomorrow at some names and portfolio moves when I have a sense of where we stand. I did most of my forced rebalancing in the last two weeks. The cash I have available can sit as I am not in a rush to chase anything.

The bottom remains elusive as the farther we move away from the last low, the more likely it was the bottom. That is not to say we could remain down here and not make moves up. There may be a period of sideways trade and consolidation until the worldwide picture becomes clearer.

Lots of demand destruction talking place, oil, commodities, credit . . . but there are also parts of the economy that doing very well, online retail, tech, telecom, healthcare.
You do know the crash of 1929 didn't find the bottom until 1932?
Old 1 April 2020, 02:59 AM   #1509
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
APmex.com

Have bought well into 7 figs over the years from them.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 03:01 AM   #1510
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
You do know the crash of 1929 didn't find the bottom until 1932?
Yes I do and I am not trying to find a bottom.

I am trying to navigate my way through the next day, week, month etc.

Some minor selling at 1:00 not surprising, volume is light will watch the close and begin to see where we are in the morning.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 1 April 2020, 03:02 AM   #1511
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Yes I do and I am not trying to find a bottom

What’s a bottom or top anyway Brian?

The money is made somewhere between the fluctuations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 03:05 AM   #1512
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
What’s a bottom or top anyway Brian?

The money is made somewhere between the fluctuations
Very true, as long as the market moves you can make money
Old 1 April 2020, 04:10 AM   #1513
FlashinLeather
"TRF" Member

What is up with the market today - it didn't gain or lose over 1,000 points? BORING!
FlashinLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 04:17 AM   #1514
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashinLeather View Post
What is up with the market today - it didn't gain or lose over 1,000 points? BORING!
People are debating whether we already hit a bottom and are on our way back up or if a cliff is around the corner. Classic stand off.
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 04:17 AM   #1515
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
I'm wondering what's going to happen when oil hits single digit prices for a barrel.
It already has, apparently, to the Mexican market. Very discouraging NYT article here worth a read to any investor or prospective investor in that industry.

I sold (at a little profit) my two oil stocks just now, after reading that story. COP and XOM. COP is the superior company, but XOM has a killer dividend. Regardless, the world economy is going to take a while to recover, and as long as so many people are working from home, staying home, commerce is down, oil prices will remain low as demand dries up.

I will be buying back into them, just not for a little while.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 04:20 AM   #1516
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very true, as long as the market moves you can make money
I made money this morning as the market rose, buying an leveraged ETF on the S&P500. I don't want to tell you how much, but I can share that it is in excess of $10. That's in American dollars. Yep.

OK, I'll share. About $80. It was a bad trade and I was barely able to squeak out of it before it got hammered. I did it in between conference calls. If not for those, I could have focused on the trades and maybe made a little more.

But hey, $80 is $80 and that will fill up my car and buy lunch. You know, if I were to drive anywhere.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 1 April 2020, 04:26 AM   #1517
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I made money this morning as the market rose, buying an leveraged ETF on the S&P500. I don't want to tell you how much, but I can share that it is in excess of $10. That's in American dollars. Yep.

OK, I'll share. About $80. It was a bad trade and I was barely able to squeak out of it before it got hammered. I did it in between conference calls. If not for those, I could have focused on the trades and maybe made a little more.

But hey, $80 is $80 and that will fill up my car and buy lunch. You know, if I were to drive anywhere.
Better that what I did today
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 05:20 AM   #1518
Feh
"TRF" Member

I was lucky enough to rebalance my portfolio from being all cash, the moment the fed announced their infinite QE strategy. Somehow I knew it must’ve been the time to go back in. I hate timing the market and I could be wrong.
Feh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 05:27 AM   #1519
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Seeing some sell-offs here towards the finish line.
Old 1 April 2020, 06:16 AM   #1520
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Quote:
Yes I do and I am not trying to find a bottom.

Some minor selling at 1:00 not surprising, volume is light will watch the close and begin to see where we are in the morning.
Thanks again for the insight.

New month, new quarter, new reporting data all to come tomorrow...
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 06:32 AM   #1521
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Seeing some sell-offs here towards the finish line.
And the rest of the week is likely to only get worse.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 07:42 AM   #1522
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Selling into the close was no surprise.

A new quarter tomorrow, will need to look at new data and analysis
Old 1 April 2020, 09:38 AM   #1523
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Talking Stocks 2.0

I have recently started buying a few stocks in the last couple of weeks.

Bought some stock in Alaska Airlines last week at $23 which then peaked at about $32 and then settled around $28 the last few days.

Also put some money in Costco today as a more long term investment as their stock seems fairly stable.

I’m a complete beginner but learning as I go! I’m only investing what I can afford to lose as well! :)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 09:03 PM   #1524
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Lets get started with quarter 2 and April, no this is not an April Fools post

Quote:
Outspoken Wall Street bond whiz says the stock market is acting ‘dysfunctional’ and may hit rock bottom once we take out March’s low
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ou...low-2020-03-31

I respect Jeff Gundlach and follow his accounts but I am not sure I agree with his analysis

Quote:
Dow Jones Futures: Stock Market Rally Stalls As U.S. Coronavirus Cases Soar; Amazon, Microsoft, AMD Setting Up
https://www.investors.com/market-tre...la-deliveries/

Quote:
Dire Coronavirus Warnings, Dow's Tumble, Xerox, HP Inc., Marriott - 5 Things You Must Know Wednesday
https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...dnesday-040120

It is going to be tough start to the quarter but there are opportunities. I am going to look at again averaging down for the long term (1-3) years in some positions and by adding some new positions.

So fat this morning there is a flight back to quality (bonds) and people are going to take profits from the big three day run up. What is unknown are still the economic impacts of business closures as we wait for stimulus to kick in.

Still, some businesses are managing to keep going.

I am looking at CAG, CL, JNJ, MSFT and VZ. I am not going to chase BA or CVX but would be looking to add if they were to retest their lows.

Do your homework, stay patient and stay safe.
Old 1 April 2020, 09:14 PM   #1525
JParm

If futures are to be believed, we could anticipate an open below 3%. This might not be the bottom, but the value is close enough to where I'd be comfortable taking bigger bites.

CSCO, T, V, VZ, LOW, UPS looking interesting. I bought DIS at 83 at what is being called 'a' bottom a couple weeks ago, but at $93 it still looks very attractive.
Old 1 April 2020, 09:52 PM   #1526
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’m likely buying today.

The headline I just read is that the futures are down because we just had a terrible quarter (paraphrasing).

That’s stupid. Of course it’s all down. It’s down on news about the news we already knew.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 10:24 PM   #1527
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
If futures are to be believed, we could anticipate an open below 3%. This might not be the bottom, but the value is close enough to where I'd be comfortable taking bigger bites.

CSCO, T, V, VZ, LOW, UPS looking interesting. I bought DIS at 83 at what is being called 'a' bottom a couple weeks ago, but at $93 it still looks very attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m likely buying today.

The headline I just read is that the futures are down because we just had a terrible quarter (paraphrasing).

That’s stupid. Of course it’s all down. It’s down on news about the news we already knew.
I agree with you both and will be adding some small buys, this is going to be another tough quarter.

Knowing that it will be tough is one plus for the current valuation.

VZ and CAG are at the top of my list for this morning
Old 1 April 2020, 10:24 PM   #1528
JParm

This is the false optimism that I alluded to in my posts recently. We had 1 week of very good gains and too many people called it the end of the bear market (the media)...but bills still need to be paid, unemployment is unbelievable and we still have no clear idea of how COVID-19 will play out.

The best advice is hold steady, look for value and buy. Panic selling should not even be a discussion.
Old 1 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #1529
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

That month-end rally was the several trillion dollar indexed fund market rebalancing their "60/40" debt/equity allocation (example) and smart money covering and locking in short gains.

Fact is, this country has never laid off 20MM people in a month and rehired them all back in what we're hoping is a "big bounce" back... You are nuts if you think this doesn't have meaningful long-term impacts.

This stimulus bill is non-sense... good luck getting a bank to give your small business a Guaranteed SBA loan within the next month. All my banking friends are saying its a sh_tshow with no real hope of getting meaningfully off the ground in the near term. Classic legislation with no real teeth on how to execute, but it shifted the blame from DC to the Banks... so that should help with re-elections.

Anyway, YMMV... good luck with luck your bargain hunting
Old 2 April 2020, 12:03 AM   #1530
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
You are nuts if you think this doesn't have meaningful long-term impacts.

This stimulus bill is non-sense... good luck getting a bank to give your small business a Guaranteed SBA loan within the next month. All my banking friends are saying its a sh_tshow with no real hope of getting meaningfully off the ground in the near term.
I was half-watching the interview on CNBC with the CEO of Citibank, and he said that they will have something in place by tomorrow for these loans and by next Friday for small biz loans. That's pretty incredible. I work in I/T and I know it takes months (or even years) to design and code and test applications that can do things like that. They must have started early, or it's not quite as robust as we've been led to believe.

Heck, the government agencies that will administer these loans probably don't have their policies and procedures in place yet.

I concur with the Baron that the recovery will not be as rapid as the decline was. Too many businesses simply will not recover. Period.