The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 August 2020, 02:22 AM   #1
michael23
"TRF" Member

Patek 3940R

Hello everyone,

I recently got a Perpetual Calendar Patek 3940 in rose gold from my uncle (he gave it to me) which he bought brand new in 2003. He has been wearing it consistently throughout the past 17 years but has never sent it in for servicing at a Patek Philippe service center or anywhere else and it does still keep good time.

What I would like to know is are there any reasons that I should be sending it in for service? It costs around 2,000 USD to service the watch and the Patek Philippe service center says they will be fully servicing the watch including change or upgrade parts, adding "oil" or something like that which they say is for sure dried up (sorry if I'm describing this incorrectly). If there are any major issues or certain specific parts that needs replacing, they said they will let me know as the price may be higher than the initial 2,000 USD price. They won't be polishing the watch with this service (as that is a separate service that I won't be requesting) and also won't be doing anything with the dial, hands etc.

Would love to get some information about this from anyone.

Thank you very much.
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:48 AM   #2
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Generally the (independent) advice is not to service until performance deteriorates. I wouldn’t expect any significant downside to holding off on this basis. Seems unlikely that there would be any material cost difference to the service of a watch after (say) 20 years rather than 17. Caveat emptor, I am not a movement expert so there may be perpetual calendar-specific reasons against my advice which I’m sure someone more qualified will comment on, if needed.
Old 5 August 2020, 03:56 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

In general, people decide to service a watch when the watch is not keeping time well or it has decreased power reserve and stopping or some other mechanical problems.

When the watch appear to be running fine, many people will not get it serviced. However Patek ADs will typically recommend a service every 3-5 years even if it is running fine.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:18 PM   #4
michael23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
In general, people decide to service a watch when the watch is not keeping time well or it has decreased power reserve and stopping or some other mechanical problems.

When the watch appear to be running fine, many people will not get it serviced. However Patek ADs will typically recommend a service every 3-5 years even if it is running fine.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the Patek Philippe service center did say to me that they generally recommend to service the watch every 5 years. That is why I'm unsure on what to do in this situation.
Old 5 August 2020, 04:19 PM   #5
michael23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
Generally the (independent) advice is not to service until performance deteriorates. I wouldn’t expect any significant downside to holding off on this basis. Seems unlikely that there would be any material cost difference to the service of a watch after (say) 20 years rather than 17. Caveat emptor, I am not a movement expert so there may be perpetual calendar-specific reasons against my advice which I’m sure someone more qualified will comment on, if needed.
Thank you for your reply. Hoping to hear more advice on this from others as well.
Old 6 August 2020, 01:30 AM   #6
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
My view is that if it is working fine, wear it and use it. Just like all things mechanical (i talk from experience with vintage cars), they work better and longer when used.

You being based in London, the only thing that i would say is: beware of thieves. I hear more and more friends who have been victims of watch mugging and PP clearly up there in terms what the bad people are after.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 05:32 AM   #7
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Naw , please don’t service it , you will gain nothing. Like Will Rodgers said” If it ain’t broke , don’t fix it” :-)) Enjoy your very special timepiece.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 06:17 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If its is running fine and easy to wind and set all functions I would leave it alone. Regrettably, it could come back from service with issues it did not have when you sent it in. That is the reason for the age old adage not to fix what is not broken.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote