The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2016, 06:25 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Interesting...

I just saw this article explaining that this is the same movement as in the 5175, and basically that the 6 guys who bought the anniversary model did get a little screwed as they were told the watch would be made in only 6..

When the 6300 came out I thought it had some of the same features but not all, a kind of "reduced" 5175, but after reading a few articles I understand it has the same functions. As I understand the price difference is 300k, of course I suppose it will be in ultra limited yearly numbers, I was told they made 5 models of the 5208p every year, I would imagine the 6300 would not exceed that number, maybe be more in the 3 than 5.

I do find a little unethical to make a super complicated super LE for the 175th and 1 year later basically make the same watch but in a different metal and different engraving, not very fair for the 6 buyers who got it thinking there would never again be the same kind of watch from Patek, to see the same watch basically come out 1 year later is not great, I don't think they will ask for a refund but still in their shoes I would not be very happy.

Would like to know what you guys think? Seems to me this is not a great move for the company, you promise exclusivity for an incredible piece and 1 year later having it disguised a little bring the same thing back, when it came out I was sure there were differences, but no, same functions exactly, though this one seems a but more "wearable", the 5175 is more a masterpiece made to be admired but not worn, as I understood it weighs 1kg, which even for a very strong man is crazy, anyone know how much this one weighs, would imagine it to be not far from the 1kg as well?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-in-white-gold

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Rachaphon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I would be a little unhappy if it were me, but those people probably would not feel as unhappy. The company is probably selling these new one to the same six people who probably wouldn't mind spending a few millions more.

Last edited by Rachaphon; 8 June 2016 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Typo
Rachaphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 08:29 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Not sure they violated the rule of 7. There will still be only 7 rare 175th anniversary models. These new ones are perhaps for the whiners who weren't chosen to get a 5175 IMHO.

I don't think any of the 6 private buyers expected the movement to be used again, but also should not have expected the "mold will be smashed".
Picasso did it, now Patek emulates it.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 09:35 PM   #4
tinygears
"TRF" Member

I'm not seeing anything inherently improper about the 175th as an LE, as by virtue of the engraving, the pieces are unique. Did they ever make it known that the movement would never appear again?

Compare to the myriad of LE pieces from AP, memorializing virtually every basketball player, race car driver, etc.

To my eye, the PP 175th is a true LE.

Now if they started coming out with half a dozen special Nautilus LEs every year, say...

Commemorating the great composers, or writers. All with the same basic guts (a horological technical term), but in different metals, that might seem very un-Patek-like.

Wait. Doesn't a writing instrument company already do that?

tg
tinygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 10:29 PM   #5
KarlS
Banned

I was hoping they would do the same thing on the 5575 but they didnt!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 11:54 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

In the history of Patek's LE watches, they have often used the same movement with a change of dial, case or metal color. I don't think this is unusual.

The 6300 certainly has a super complicated movement. And as you mentioned, they will likely only produce a small number each year. How many pieces will they make in total? They may produce a total of 5, 10 or 15 before stopping. But I am sure the major collectors who were not allocated the 5175 will be happy that they will get something similar. It is not a LE watch, but still a super complicated watch with a small production number.

I think we often focus on watch movement and that is where the most of the work in producing a watch lies. However as discussed in another thread with the 5131, it is the special "handcrafting" that adds value to a watch. For the 5131, it is the hand painted enamel dial. For the 5175 and other watches, the engraving on the case is done by a skilled artisan and I feel it is something you have to see to truly appreciate.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2016, 12:41 AM   #7
Dr C
Banned

Watch: Patek & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygears View Post
I'm not seeing anything inherently improper about the 175th as an LE, as by virtue of the engraving, the pieces are unique. Did they ever make it known that the movement would never appear again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
In the history of Patek's LE watches, they have often used the same movement with a change of dial, case or metal color. I don't think this is unusual.
Well said gents. The 5175 is an LE anniversary piece with engraving and enamel work. The 6300 is technically a "regular production" piece. Which reflects in the 300k price difference. Although they both contain the same movement the 5175 is FAR more collectible in terms of future value because of these differences.
Dr C is offline   Reply With Quote