The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 29 October 2012, 08:46 PM   #61
gigantor

Watch: 116520,Pam233
When I get my first Rolex, I had not even heard of Panerai. I was exposed to the watch through the internet and at that time, I too do not understand why people will like the watch. It was until I saw and feel the watch(the real thing) that I become attracted to it. Well, it is those "love at first sight" feeling. Either you get it or you don't. Nothing to understand about it. FYI, I'm now more of a Panerai than a Rolex guy.... Next is AP...
gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 09:41 PM   #62
Shrinkdial

I must hang in the wrong circles as whenever I know someone wearing a Rolex, first thing they get asked is- is it real or a fake?
I prefer Panerai (for now), people don't recognize them unless they are watch people and never get asked that question...
Shrinkdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 09:48 PM   #63
J.jun
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
Rolex and omega for me. Panerai is not for me though...
J.jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 10:05 PM   #64
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Hey they are not for everyone, me included. I don't understand their appeal at all, but each to his own right? It's not a problem to voice your opinion on them either way as long as it isn't trying to insult the Panerai owner.

I do find it interesting however, that Rolex got them going with this look and basic design in the first place. It's arguable, no Rolex, no Panerai.....not as we know them anyway.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 10:20 PM   #65
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
I think PAM is very much a stylistic thing. I have a colleague and friend who wears one and it suits his style quite well as he is a bit more fashion forward than I am. I have to say I have looked over at it and thought it looked good. When I tried one on, it did not look right on me.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 11:08 PM   #66
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
both

I have both, and i like both, but i just want 3 or 4 rolexes and panerai i want about 10 watches,i think they look diferent, clean and nicer.
Panerai has movements till 10 days reserve (it's very cool).
Old 29 October 2012, 11:22 PM   #67
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
I am a Rolex lover. Came to this forum a short time ago looking for info about a new Rolex I wanted to purchase.
I found the Panerai subforum and fell in love with them. I opted not to get a new TT Submariner and get a Pam 372 that was equally priced. I'm very happy with my decision.

So, to the OP's original question. What is to preclude a fan or owner of Rolex watches from Loving Panerai?

Wants to run the big machine
DiverAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 11:33 PM   #68
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Icon10 I loves the PAM

1. The fact that the OP doesn't like Panerai watches is perfectly understandable. The fact that he doesn't understand why others like it is not. To each his own, etc.

2. I got on the Panerai boat very late in the game; the first time I ever saw one was roughly in 2004 on Pierce Brosnan's wrist and thought to myself, what the heck is that? I know all the big houses, but I don't know that! What's that odd contraption surrounding the crown??? And so on. At the time I was wearing my 38mm Chronoswiss Tora, daydreaming of - what else, a Rolex Sub

Forward it to 2011 - I need / want a "big" diver. I don't know why, but everything else (incl. my 38mm Tora) looks too small... . Now I'm no longer daydreaming of a Sub, but a DSSD Earlier on this year, I pick up my Mühle S.A.R. Flieger, which comes to a hefty 44mm...

Now I can't deal with my 38mm Tora - too humble, for lack of a better word. But the S.A.R. is a bit over the top for a business suit... so then I think to myself it's time to revisit Panerai. But my, haven't the prices changed a bit since 2004... Still, the more I look at them, the more I want one. But before I even consider putting down the $$$ for one, I'm going to get to the bottom of what Panerai is... and I did. I could write volumes, but since most of you don't care for the look anyway, I'll take a shortcut and share with you this:
http://rolexblog.blogspot.co.at/2011...oyal-navy.html
http://rolexblog.blogspot.co.at/2009...-of-rolex.html

Yes, there would be no Panerai watch if it weren't for Rolex. The very first Panerai, the 2533, was essentially all Rolex with the exception of maybe the dial design (not sure about that). The famous "California" dial - again, right off the shelves @Rolex. Perhaps this is why many Rolex fans have also looked into Panerai and some have even stuck around...

p.s. the official name for the "thingy" is Crown Guard...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 11:55 PM   #69
eric23
"TRF" Member

I like a lot of watch brands, not just Rolex. Panerai makes some nice watches.

I guess what ever makes you smile.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 12:12 AM   #70
Watchmutt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I didn't like Panerai at first. It was just too big for my tastes. But tastes change and when I saw the one I currently own, I was hooked. Its nice to have choices.
Watchmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 12:50 AM   #71
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Icon10

p.s.
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 01:02 AM   #72
Rodentman
Banned

I like the Panerai strap options. The 40mm 241 is the right size for me. Ok it's a 7750 movement but it's right up there in accuracy. I like variety.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 01:06 AM   #73
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
p.s.

post script; Exclamation mark!

Wants to run the big machine
DiverAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 01:14 AM   #74
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

If you don't like, don't buy. They are great watches with rich history and styling you can't find in any other brand.
Old 30 October 2012, 03:21 AM   #75
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

love how these types of threads always end up bashing the brand (and slightly the owners)...

different strokes for different folks all...
Old 30 October 2012, 03:35 AM   #76
Glenn422
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
If you don't like, don't buy. They are great watches with rich history and styling you can't find in any other brand.
Totally agree :)

I hope this post does not pose any offense to any rolex owners..

I'm a Panerai lover, their watches have great history and great distinctive designs. There's a reason why they have the most 'fanatic' followers they call 'Paneristis', almost like a cult. PAMs can also be seen everywhere nowadays in the wild. Heck, today I got a white pages book on my doorstep and on the front cover the guy from the yachting club is wearing a PAM. In Indonesia my hometown, almost everyone nowadays have a PAM. People who can't afford high end watches in Indonesia buy a rep PAM instead of a rep Rolex.

OP, if you don't understand the Panerai brand then don't buy, it's your money anyways. If you don't understand why OTHER people like them, it's just human nature we all have different preferences. I don't understand why you don't understand people who like Panerai.

I have never got so much enjoyment from wearing my PAMs, even compared to wearing my RM011 and APs.

In my eyes, a PAM will always beat Rolex but i DO understand why people like rolexes. Like I said, to each their own.

That being said though, I am planning to buy a no-date sub / DSSD since I don't have a rolex yet! It's always nice to have variety :)
Glenn422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 05:35 AM   #77
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARVET View Post
Usually see people looking to trade a Rolex for a Pan. Can you believe that?

Absolutely & it happens for good reason.
Rolex makes a solid product but inspiring & unique they are not. I enjoyed my Subs, GMT & Daytona for a few years but I eventually became extremely bored with the brand & the lack of individuality. The best way I can summarize the difference between Rolex & Panerai from my perspective - a Panerai has soul for lack of a better word while a Rolex is just a nice watch, nothing special that says anything about the owner other than they can afford or have the credit available to spend thousands on a watch owned by millions of others. Vintage Rolex is a different story... too small for my taste these days but I can appreciate their beauty & the thought & passion that goes into the hunt for the right piece by those that love them.
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 06:31 AM   #78
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Of course there are many other great brands, but Rolex and Panerai seem to sit especially well together imho
I can't agree more. Rolex is bracelet only for me. For variety, I want something I can wear with a strap. When I think strap, I only get to one answer: Panerai. I also want something manual (vs my auto Rolex). Again, Panerai ticks the box. And I like something with a neo retro or semi vintage feel to it. You guessed it: Panerai. 3 out of 3.

My Sub C and Pam 190 sit side by side in my cupboard and seem to get along well!

Greg
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 07:34 AM   #79
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Like clockwork, this thread comes up.

To each his or her own and, as has been said, either you get it or you don't.

I just find it hard to understand blanket statements, though, like "I don't like the look of Panerai", especially on a watch forum. Imagine what you would think if someone said "I don't like the look of Rolex"....in your mind you'd be thinking "What does that mean? The Rolex look. There isn't one look! DJ, DJII, DD, DDII, GMT, Sub, Milgauss, Daytona, DSSD, Explorer, Explorer II, Air King, YM, OP, TOG....What is this noob taking about? They are so different!" well, it's not that different with Panerai, if you take the time to learn.

As far as the connection, I don't think there is anything particular about it. There just happens to be some overlap for some people between the brands as far as design and history and authenticity. For others, that overlap doesn't exist. It's all good.

P.S. it's not a "crown guard", it's a "device that protects the crown". I know, I know.....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 07:53 AM   #80
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Different strokes....I like them both.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 10:11 AM   #81
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARVET View Post
Usually see people looking to trade a Rolex for a Pan. Can you believe that?
I believe it. The fact is that Panerai makes some amazing watches that I would take every day over any Rolex. Panerai is one the edge of innovation and new technology in watches, Rolex is still kicking out the same old same old after all these years, basically relying on marketing to bring in the newest brand name chasers.

I am really surprised to see people reply stating that they don't like Panerai.......maybe they should stay off the Panerai sub forum!!!!

Any watch collection that is one brand only is flat out boring.
Old 30 October 2012, 10:31 AM   #82
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
p.s.

Nice... please bring back the 'Rolex Luminor' !

How great it would be if the two companies worked together again
Old 30 October 2012, 12:23 PM   #83
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I didn't notice that anybody was bashing anybody.

Someone should get Trurolexer in on this. He was crazy for Rolex. Then, he got the Pannie bug and bugged out. Last I heard, he was still "Mr Panerai."
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 01:08 PM   #84
Palmasea
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC~AP~RLX~PAM~UN
Most major brands have desirable watches!

I would say that from every major watch manufacturer , I desire a few of their typical iconic models(i.e. I like Rolex's daytona and submariner, Panerai's Luminor, AP's Royal Oak, Pateks Nautilus, Omega's speedster, Jaeger's Reverso, Blancpains fifty fathoms, Muller's Cintree...)and I dislike some of their other models(ie colorful diamond encrusted rolexes, most Breitling Bentleys, busy Hublots, crazy Zeniths etc...)

Along the same lines, Im sure most of us watch afficionados could find the right watch within any major manufacturers -assuming we had unlimited funds -and weren't concerned with other justifiable reasons for buying a watch like its resale value, status, or reliability - among other reasons.

As for Panerai, I love their simple Luminors, and I would recommend them highly to anyone looking to diversify their collection. If the 44's or 47mm's feel too big - go for the 40mm versions - but for the most part, the simplest designs are the one you will enjoy the most! - thats Panerai's specialty.

Palmasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 01:13 PM   #85
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmasea View Post
I would say that from every major watch manufacturer , I desire a few of their typical iconic models(i.e. I like Rolex's daytona and submariner, Panerai's Luminor, AP's Royal Oak, Pateks Nautilus, Omega's speedster, Jaeger's Reverso, Blancpains fifty fathoms, Muller's Cintree...)and I dislike some of their other models(ie colorful diamond encrusted rolexes, most Breitling Bentleys, busy Hublots, crazy Zeniths etc...)

Along the same lines, Im sure most of us watch afficionados could find the right watch within any major manufacturers -assuming we had unlimited funds -and weren't concerned with other justifiable reasons for buying a watch like its resale value, status, or reliability - among other reasons.

As for Panerai, I love their simple Luminors, and I would recommend them highly to anyone looking to diversify their collection. If the 44's or 47mm's feel too big - go for the 40mm versions - but for the most part, the simplest designs are the one you will enjoy the most! - thats Panerai's specialty.

^^Nicely put.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 01:38 PM   #86
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmasea View Post

Old 30 October 2012, 02:05 PM   #87
Ranfni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai AP
If you don't like Panerai then why are you looking here then?
Ranfni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 02:25 PM   #88
rolex170
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16200, 312
I like both brands....then again, I own both....will probably add more brands to the collection as well. To each their own!

But I have to admit I love the strap craze that goes with owning a PAM!
rolex170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 03:26 PM   #89
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I think the fun factor / sex appeal - whatever you call it - for Panerai's is without equal.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 03:40 PM   #90
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Love both... My Pam collection outweighs my rolex's, however, I wear my ap's or jlc's over them now a days!

How can you not love Panerai though, gorgeous IMO

iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote