The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2021, 11:19 PM   #1
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Future sub availability?

Do you think subs will be as obtainable in the future couple years as date justs are now? I’ve been on a few waiting lists in NJ which I have visited the stores in person for a few months now. I just really want a new sub. I want to know it’s legit and hasn’t been abused, I want to put in all the scratches myself, and so on.
Thoughts and opinions on future availability?
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:24 PM   #2
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Millions around the world wants a sub .

It wont change .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:48 PM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Rolex makes more $$ on 2 tone datejusts and DD that’s why they are readily available on the most part…. You buy a couple of those and you will get your submariner….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:51 PM   #4
Njkdog
Banned

I don’t have the money to buy a few Rolexes just to increase my chances. And I don’t have the heart to flip the watches I don’t want, even if I broke even, I don’t feel right about buying a watch with the intention of selling it. Idk why.
Old 25 July 2021, 11:53 PM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
I don’t have the money to buy a few Rolexes just to increase my chances. And I don’t have the heart to flip the watches I don’t want, even if I broke even, I don’t feel right about buying a watch with the intention of selling it. Idk why.

Then just put your name down on an AD list (or a few), check often and be patient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:56 PM   #6
Njkdog
Banned

Yeah, I did, and I’m trying to be patient, but it’s hard! Lol. But I know, you’re right.
Old 25 July 2021, 11:58 PM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Without a purchase history, its could be years from an AD given the meager deliveries. The good news is the black bezels are readily available used online and the premium may be worth the immediate delivery. Green Bezels are considerably more online and not worth the premium to me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:58 PM   #8
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Availability will not get better anytime in the near future.

If you really want it, then suck it up, pay market price from a trusted reseller, and own it tomorrow.

Only other options are to play the waiting game with assorted ADs or pick another watch.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:03 AM   #9
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Are you projecting a one-and-done attitude? ADs give priority to customers they think will spend more money with them in the future.

Good luck
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:14 AM   #10
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think you have a better chance at the boutique than AD based on my personal experience.

Visit the boutique near you and talk with you SA/manager, express your interest with them, try to keep in touch with them periodically.

Sub (No date) will be a bit easier to get than Sub date. I think the wait time should be less than one year.

I think after the Covid19, some people will spend extra money on vacation instead of luxury watches, the availability should be better than now.

Good luck!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:18 AM   #11
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do you think subs will be as obtainable in the future couple years as date justs are now? I’ve been on a few waiting lists in NJ which I have visited the stores in person for a few months now. I just really want a new sub. I want to know it’s legit and hasn’t been abused, I want to put in all the scratches myself, and so on. Thoughts and opinions on future availability?
I get your interest in purchasing new, but keep in mind that, among enthusiast collectors, a lot watches are bought, then put into a storage case, and then subsequently are only *sparingly* and carefully worn in rotation with other pieces. With some research and persistence you should be able to find a like-new Sub from this subset of owners. Maybe some mark-up, but you can always negotiate. Better than buying a group of watches you don't want or need as a preliminary rite of passage.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 01:11 AM   #12
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I don't think it is likely to change in the near future because the number of people who want a stainless Sub right now seems to be absolutely insane relative to the number of new Subs available.

Right now an AD may have a pretty strong incentive to NOT sell someone a Sub who is just looking for a Sub. They may go out of their way to avoid selling you the watch because they can make more money selling that watch to someone else. You can't blame them for maximizing how they use stainless pieces, but it can make it hard for someone newer to Rolex who wants a specific stainless piece.

Some new buyers have luck...and some with absolutely minimal effort (i.e., they walk into an AD, talk about their aspirations, and the AD sells them a brand new Sub on the spot.) But this really does not seem to be the norm.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 01:14 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Think easier than today, but not as easy as 4 years ago because they are allocating/not shipping as many as 4 years ago to the same store.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 01:23 AM   #14
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
In my part of the world it’s about a three wait unless you get really lucky or have previous purchase history..
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 01:59 AM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I just don’t know, hope so for those searching
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 02:39 AM   #16
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Be patient and keep visiting/contacting your AD.
Nothing is impossible in life.
Old 26 July 2021, 03:04 AM   #17
gerry100
"TRF" Member

The Sub models are the Rolexes most widely identifiable by the broader public by a wide margin.
As such, they draw a lot of newbies and status seeker making the supply even tighter.

I desired an SS Sub for 40 years, basically the only Rolex I knew until I went to a local AD.

Wound up with a 16570 Black which I love, less showy but a much better watch for me.

Suggest you broaden your search
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:12 AM   #18
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Subs are attainable with the right blend of persistence and patience. If you want a shortcut, the premium on a ceramic 6 digit 11 series Sub isn't too crazy on the grey market in excellent condition.

Impossible to say in the future, but considering they likely make the most # of subs of the Rolex lines I don't believe it would swing all that much between now and then.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:36 AM   #19
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

If you only want one and be done with Rolex or watches in general, why not just buy it from a reseller? Maxi case Sub is not too crazy price.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:40 AM   #20
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

If you’re not willing to go grey
If you’re not willing or unable to spend to increasing or shorten time frame of wait
If you’re not willing to buy and flip
Then your only option is to wait

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:50 AM   #21
rollie
"TRF" Member

Im in the UK and i've been on the list for so long i got fed up with waiting.

I calculated that I waste around £100 per week on rubbish.Takeaways & god knows what?

Thats £5200 per year so with the current retail price of a Submariner being £6450 add that together & you get £11650

I decided to buy a 2021 model for £10k so that means i got my watch now and saved £1650

I may even decide to waste the £1650 thats left over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8202.jpeg (269.2 KB, 875 views)
rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:54 AM   #22
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Then just put your name down on an AD list (or a few), check often and be patient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This Quite frankly,is there any other way ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 04:04 AM   #23
PJ03029174
"TRF" Member

In the same boat, been seriously thinking about getting a No Date Sub for over a year and wish I’d put my name down on the interest list when I first started thinking about getting one.
I turned 40 two weeks ago and would have loved to have bought it to celebrate that but have a 10yr anniversary I’m aiming for in 3 yrs time.
The AD did explain they allocate to repeat customers and they like to know abit about you so they have confidence you won’t flip the watch but I explained £6450 is pushing it for me so I’m prepared to wait it out. If I don’t get the call within 3 years, it wasn’t meant to be and il get something else and forget about it.
PJ03029174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 04:47 AM   #24
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you think subs will be as obtainable in the future couple years as date justs are now? I’ve been on a few waiting lists in NJ which I have visited the stores in person for a few months now. I just really want a new sub. I want to know it’s legit and hasn’t been abused, I want to put in all the scratches myself, and so on.
Who said datejusts are available now? TT maybe, but Slate, Wimbledon, Blue, Azurro and White Roman dials have been on premium for a while, not even mentioning the new Palm dial. Black Subs are easier to get than the Slate and Blue DJ 41s.

Patience, Persistence and History are the keys nowadays to get a Rolex(any) from AD and you need to have at least two of those to get it from them. Sometimes luck also involves but I put that into persistence category as you need to be physically on AD's premises to be at the right place at the right time.

I suggest the same with other posters, locate ADs and have conversation with them, spot the friendlier ones and pay them a visit every to months, you will get your watch sooner or later. Nobody likes the current situation maybe except greys, but it is what it is and as long as the demand stays high, availability will be scarce.
liberalclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 04:51 AM   #25
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
This Quite frankly,is there any other way ?
From your AD as I did. Just a suggestion

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 04:54 AM   #26
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
The Sub models are the Rolexes most widely identifiable by the broader public by a wide margin.
Actually, I think that is more likely to be the DJ/DD.

As to availability? Who knows? It will depend on many things, not least the level of demand, which seems to be remaining insanely high.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 04:56 AM   #27
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Thru an AD it's purchases, patience and persistence.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:16 AM   #28
Equity
"TRF" Member

I was able to get my sub41 date in 66 days. From initial hello to delivery. Persistence was key. I’ve expressed serious interest in three pieces for myself and one for my wife. BRLO on jubilee, new YG Meteorite Daytona on OF, 41mm YG Sub and a Tiffany OP41.

I check in weekly, with the same expectation as when my sub was allocated. My next watch will be sitting in the Rolex room unannounced waiting for my inevitable check in to say hi.

We’re playing a game in their home stadium. Most ADs allocate watches to people they like, not just who they think has the most money to spend.

The guy who came after me probably had more money, the person after them, probably even more resources, so on and so forth. You can’t chalk it up to just trying to wring all the pennies from everyone.

Be nice, be persistent, understand they’re getting 50+ calls a day for the watch you want… literally.

If you can’t stand the game. Go grey.

Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 06:13 AM   #29
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Future sub availability?

Internet hype turned a “Avg Joe’s” once attainable purchase to celebrate a birth, achievement, father to son gift, etc… into a joke. Just too much demand and no reason to increase production (De Beers anyone).
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 06:41 AM   #30
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I think they will be more available in the future. We are in the middle of a pandemic. Normal business will resume when the pandemic is over. And the bills for all the free money handed out will start to drop on people's door mats. To say millions want a submariner is an exaggeration. There are many amateur flippers around now who wouldn't say no to doubling their money. But I think there are less people who want to pay £7k for a watch they actually want to wear and are not interested in making a profit.

When supply improves the grey market price will reduce. There will be less amateur flippers and people prepared to pay inflated prices when they realise they can lose money and prices don't only go up. Flippers are distorting the market so it will take more time to adjust downwards but it will. Hard to think of any mass market products were you cannot buy them and have to pay double on the grey market - on a permanent basis. It does happen temporarily when there are supply issues but usually companies fix their supply problems. I cannot believe Rolex can be happy providing what is a crap customer experience. No watches for customers to try on and no idea when you will get your watch is not great. Add in unscrupulous ADs wanting customers to purchase stuff they don't want - it is a crap experience at present which I think Rolex will not be happy about. Just my opinion. Patience is needed.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote