The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2021, 10:04 PM   #1
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
New Speedmaster 3861 issue issue

So I managed to get one the early released Speedmaster (Hesalite) a couple of months back and after a few weeks it seemed to get a mechanical issue with the use of the Chrono movement. I rang the AD and explained my situation and was offered a replacement watch. It would take a couple of days for the watch to come to the store but they did have a Sapphire model there if I wanted to look at it. Well I saw it and I paid the difference as I already have a Hesalite 1861 so the sapphire would make a pleasant change.
Now my new one (sapphire) has the same issue after a couple of weeks. when using the Chrono, the second timer hand gets to circa 2 seconds and the whole watch seizes. I have to hit the chrono button again for the main (local time) second hand to start working and then I have to hit the chrono button again for the timer second had to start moving again. I have lost complete faith in the 3861 movement for now. I have contacted the AD to run through my options with the intention to get a full refund and hope to find out more later in the week. I love the watch but even if I get a replacement my confidence is lost. In the meantime all I can say so far is that the AD have been fantastic. I'm a little heartbroken to be fair as I really did love the watch.
eightball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:56 PM   #2
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Wow. Two. That's unfortunate. I wonder if the movements were both close serial numbers and there was a faulty batch uncaught.

I have the Hesalite and I can't say I have experienced any issues. Sorry to hear of yours.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:59 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting. I have the 1861 and it is flawless. Luck of the draw I guess.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:17 PM   #4
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Perhaps unlucky I guess, I use the chrono around 3-4 times a day, I just don’t have the faith in the movement at the moment. I have my mind set on moving on so I really hope I manage to get a refund.
Never had any issues (aside from accuracy +10-11 SPD) with my 1861, my plan was to sell it and keep the 3861 but that’s all changed now
Old 12 April 2021, 02:59 AM   #5
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Search the omega forums. There have been a number of these issues (including my Apollo 11). The watch basically requires a service. Some extra lubrication I believe.

Per one of the watchmakers on there, omega issued a message with the fix to service centres. As you are in the U.K., it will doubtless go to Southampton and take approx 4 weeks.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 04:19 AM   #6
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Search the omega forums. There have been a number of these issues (including my Apollo 11). The watch basically requires a service. Some extra lubrication I believe.

Per one of the watchmakers on there, omega issued a message with the fix to service centres. As you are in the U.K., it will doubtless go to Southampton and take approx 4 weeks.
Thanks Steve, They said in the shop that they haven't heard of any issues but I find it strange as I'm two for two, I just want to cut my losses at this stage..... I would love the new 36 explorer (never going to happen) or maybe even a Tudor BB 58 (this was on the cards before the speedy).... or perhaps I just need to take a step back.
Hopefully a full refund will be an option if not I will need to send the watch back for a few weeks but I've lost faith in the movement going forward.
Old 12 April 2021, 05:37 AM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball76 View Post
Thanks Steve, They said in the shop that they haven't heard of any issues but I find it strange as I'm two for two, I just want to cut my losses at this stage..... I would love the new 36 explorer (never going to happen) or maybe even a Tudor BB 58 (this was on the cards before the speedy).... or perhaps I just need to take a step back.
Hopefully a full refund will be an option if not I will need to send the watch back for a few weeks but I've lost faith in the movement going forward.
It’s no worse than some of the issues Rolex and Tudor have had with movements. The good news is my movement has had zero issues since return. Just unfortunate, but try not to let it spoil the watch if it’s one you want. Just get it fixed and all good.

I’ve got a BB58 blue also, and that’s a great choice too.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 10:21 AM   #8
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I would not let a mechanical issue upset you. Yes it's unfortunate, but I'm sure omega will address the situation and in due time you will have a fine watch to cherish. If it was me I would ask it to be repaired rather than replaced. That way your more likely to receive a perfect running watch than you can enjoy for many years. Just my opinion, been there before.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:08 PM   #9
Pius XIII
"TRF" Member

My 3861 I received in early February stopped running completely almost exactly 48 hours after taking ownership. I realized that the watch had stopped running right after stopping and resetting the chronograph. I took it to my AD who shipped it to the service center. My watch came back after 5 weeks and is running even more accurately now at +1 second/day. It’s been on my wrist for almost a month now with no issues.
Pius XIII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 03:40 PM   #10
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius XIII View Post
My 3861 I received in early February stopped running completely almost exactly 48 hours after taking ownership. I realized that the watch had stopped running right after stopping and resetting the chronograph. I took it to my AD who shipped it to the service center. My watch came back after 5 weeks and is running even more accurately now at +1 second/day. It’s been on my wrist for almost a month now with no issues.
I admire your patience. I wouldn't accept to have to send my watch away for a service 2 days after spending 5-7K on purchasing it. I do understand that these are mechanical items and there will always be the possibility of faults. I have had many many watches over the years and some have indeed have had some issues, but not two in a row.
Old 12 April 2021, 04:55 PM   #11
Theelectricfox
"TRF" Member

Similar problem but with a newer Omega SMP Diver Chrono(the new 9900 version).

When starting the chronograph, it was fine and it stopped when I pushed the button again. However when pressing the reset, I heard a crunch and the watch did not reset.

The reset pusher had a mushy feel to it like it had no tension.

I had to start and stop chrono again 2-3 times. After letting it run for a minute or two, I stopped it again and the reset finally worked.

Again though it's a brand new watch and Omega wants to examine it.
Theelectricfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 10:41 PM   #12
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Push for refund and take a step back.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:59 AM   #13
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Update:-
I popped into the dealership today and was offered a full refund. I cannot say how pleasedI was with how the whole situation was handled, I could have had another replacement watch or get the one I had sent back to Omega for the repairs but I decided to cut my losses.
I still have the 1861 and am more than happy with it. I was a heavy user of the chrono and perhaps it accelerated the fault with the watch who knows. The watch will be sent back to Omega and the dealership have said that they will send me on the report once its been inspected. Hopefully I was just very unfortunate and there's no known issue with the movement.
Old 15 April 2021, 03:04 AM   #14
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball76 View Post
I still have the 1861 and am more than happy with it.
Prove and tested!!!!

Glad that you get thru this with ease after all, kudos to your dealer for solving the issue with elegance.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 08:52 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Glad that this worked out for you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 04:18 AM   #16
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
I heard from a user that they activated the chrono reset whilst the chrono was running and this caused an issue in the mechanism. I am hoping this was not the case here OP. It is sad you had to return the watch. Perhaps time for the new Tudor chrono?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 05:35 AM   #17
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Unfortunate to hear it, my Apollo 11 has been running fine for over a year now. I use the chrono once in a while.

Glad the dealer handled this nicely and swiftly, cant say the same about other dealers.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 07:30 AM   #18
eightball76
"TRF" Member

I'd like to say it was a once off but unfortunately it wasn't. I will say that I do miss the watch but I am relieved that I was given a full refund. I have since bought a Tudor BB58 (Black) and as we all know, its a great watch.
I will perhaps purchase another Speedmaster 3861 in the future but there is no doubt in my mind that there is an issue with the movement (or at least with the early models). I used the chrono perhaps 4-5 times a day and the issue was identical on both watches. I did not activate the reset button whilst the movement was running. I was able recreate the issue on both watches by simply trying the chrono repeatedly and capturing the issue. I recorded this on my phone and showed the SA upon my return to store.
Old 4 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #19
Tumppi$
"TRF" Member

Very interesting indeed, and unfortunate of course. But believe it or not, I had exactly the same problem with my ref. 3570.50 Pro back in the year 2011. I had to sent it 3 times back to Omega or Swatch Group. It took 6 months to get it work properly.
Then, my IWC Portugieser rattrapante chrono ref.3712... Same problem! It also went 3 times to IWC.
The funniest thing is, that my cheapest watches works perfectly without any issues ever. Over 8 years old Certina DS Podium Chrono with basic 7750 Valjoux still going strong. Same with the Sinn EZM 13.
My only expensive watch, which worked flawlessly was my 16613 Submariner. But I sold it in 2012. Of course it has a flimsy bracelet, but it wasn't actual fault, because those Rolex bracelets were a bit flimsy in that era.
Tumppi$ is offline   Reply With Quote