The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2019, 11:59 PM   #61
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by koobitz View Post
Thank you to everyone who chimed in and provided advice. Some of the cheeky comments definitely helped soften the blow haha.

wow... I can't even imagine how this all unfolded in the back room... that would explain why the scratches are on both ends and is likely what transpired!

I know a lot of you have stated I should use this to get my next piece but I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Sure, a SS DaytonaC white dial sounds great but with how the two reps handled me yesterday I just feel uneasy now. I am honestly shocked as I was looking to build a relationship with this AD and further my collection with them... let's see what happens when I go in today.

Rolex ADs don’t use that particular tool. They use the pliers.

More than likely, Sarah’s hands are just not steady and she stabbed the absolute hell out of your case when she lost grip on the spring bar.

We’ve seen other members get their case backs replaced due to damage, and with the level of damage this has, I do not think it’s an unreasonable request.

I doubt an entirely new watch is in store here... but I don’t think that’s necessary either. I’d be satisfied with a new case back and being first in line on whatever the next hot model is that you have your eye on.

...like a Pepsi with my name on the warranty card?

- Sent via iPhone. Please excuse any typos or brevity in my message

...it just gets more random and obscure from there...
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #62
Justingtr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DateJust View Post
Go back and return the watch. Get them to source you a new one. This is one of my pet hates. It happens a lot when screw heads too on bracelets. They use the wrong type of screw drivers to remove links and chew up the screw heads. Sales people should not be doing any “work” on a watch period.
That's beyond ridiculous to request that. If a mechanic messes something up on your car you don't demand a new car, you demand a factory new replacement part at no cost to the customer. The same would apply here.

I'd request a new case back be put on as the one brought in was in new condition. If the AD fixes the mistake and owns up to it I'd be happy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:46 AM   #63
ROA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I will be very upset. Personally, it will be very difficult for me to accept a repair. I will ask that all parts that were damaged be replaced and not merely polished. It looks like not only the caseback was affected?
ROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:49 AM   #64
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
That's beyond ridiculous to request that. If a mechanic messes something up on your car you don't demand a new car, you demand a factory new replacement part at no cost to the customer. The same would apply here.

I'd request a new case back be put on as the one brought in was in new condition. If the AD fixes the mistake and owns up to it I'd be happy.

So the AD turns your new and pristine Rolex into a damaged and defective item and the OP just has to accept their apology and let them have another go at Butchering his prized possession?

If a mechanic smashes up/damages a Brand New car............Hell Yes I would demand a New Car, In the UK you have 30 Days to reject any purchased item under Consumer Protection Laws.

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:58 AM   #65
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
What ridiculous logic... nothing is flawless? The guy took his great condition $28k watch in for a service-related issue and they put deep scratches in it through negligence... OF COURSE HE SHOULD BE PISSED! Honestly, I read some post on here that have me scratching my head in wonder at the bizarre thought processes that go into them.

The AD needs to remedy the situation ASAP and I would be demanding it be returned to the condition I gave it in as well as a grovelling apology for trying to mislead me. Saying "mistakes happen, we are all human" is not applicable in this situation when dealing with a watch that cost more than many people can save in a year. Unless of course, you are so far removed from reality and material concerns that it genuinely is of no concern to you when someone negligently and carelessly damages your $28k watch. It then becomes their responsibility to rectify the situation.
Agreed, yet it appears Rolex diehards are a breed of their own.

Quote:

Beyond ridiculous? how many $28K Rolex watches have you bought new and had mangled by the AD after less than a month?

Your car analogy is comical. A more fitting scenario would be that you buy a brand new Ferrari and order another set of wheels for it from the Ferrari dealer. 3 weeks later the wheels arrive and the dealer wrecks your 3 week old Ferrari on a test drive after installing the wheels. Are you going to be OK with them just fixing it? no big deal right?

Do you want to take a guess how much less that watch will be worth if the OP ever wants to sell it? do you think people spending nearly $30K on a high end PM Daytona care about gauged/chipped cases (there are several dings, chips and gauges throughout in those pictures)? The answer is YES. These things matter. By the way, i didn't mention the gauges that we can't see (almost guaranteed the whole case is hacked up inside the lugs) or the mangled caseback which I doubt they will replace (cheaper to just polish into oblivion). But you're right, no biggie. Something tells me you would react a bit differently if you were in OP's shoes.

I won't even start with the beta cuck drooler level fanboyism suggesting this guy spend another dollar at this AD, much less ask them to allow him to make another $10K+ purchase, as if somehow it's a huge privilege to be able to buy another watch from them.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:05 AM   #66
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I'd be pissed. They knew what happened and didn't bother to tell you. Im not sure whats worse, the gouge on your watch......or the fact they handed it off to you hoping you would never see it. I would go directly to the owner if there is one on site or Corporate.....and start making a big deal.
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:06 AM   #67
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I don't believe the watch was "mangled". By the way, the Ferrari dealer here in Dallas tells me that many of the new vehicles they receive need some slight paint repair before delivery. Not a big deal to me.

I would ask for a new case back and the small other marks will be addressed with a light polish at service time, or now if you wish.

Most folks that can afford Rolex or other fine watches don't care, I believe, if they have had some polishing done - unless they are being resold when almost new.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:13 AM   #68
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post

Beyond ridiculous? how many $28K Rolex watches have you bought new and had mangled by the AD after less than a month?

Your car analogy is comical. A more fitting scenario would be that you buy a brand new Ferrari and order another set of wheels for it from the Ferrari dealer. 3 weeks later the wheels arrive and the dealer wrecks your 3 week old Ferrari on a test drive after installing the wheels. Are you going to be OK with them just fixing it? no big deal right?

Do you want to take a guess how much less that watch will be worth if the OP ever wants to sell it? do you think people spending nearly $30K on a high end PM Daytona care about gauged/chipped cases (there are several dings, chips and gauges throughout in those pictures)? The answer is YES. These things matter. By the way, i didn't mention the gauges that we can't see (almost guaranteed the whole case is hacked up inside the lugs) or the mangled caseback which I doubt they will replace (cheaper to just polish into oblivion). But you're right, no biggie. Something tells me you would react a bit differently if you were in OP's shoes.
Agree 100%, and you invested more time than I in explaining it so eloquently.

Quote:
I won't even start with the beta cuck drooler level fanboyism suggesting this guy spend another dollar at this AD, much less ask them to allow him to make another $10K+ purchase, as if somehow it's a huge privilege to be able to buy another watch from them.
I tactfully decided to avoid that as I am reasonably new here but yeah, seeing people post: "Use the situation to get another expensive watch", as a response to them negligently scratching a 28k watch, from the same AD and before the situation has even been resolved, is somewhat mind-boggling.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:24 AM   #69
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I’m not trying to defend the AD. They messed up big time but accidents happen and they need to resolve this to your satisfaction. I think getting a brand new watch will be unlikely. I would accept a new case back. Sorry, OP and keep us informed.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:27 AM   #70
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
A new case back on their dime will rectify this. Accidents happen and although this is unacceptable it can be fixed.

Similar thing happened to me with my vehicle. Dealer snapped 3 or 4 bolt heads off during an oil change never told me and I drove the vehicle home and discovered the damage. They made it right and apologized when I brought it to the managers attention.

I scratched the hell out of my 2 month old sub and my AD polished the bracelet up real nice for me. Looks great (although you can tell a difference from when it was new). Stuff happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:28 AM   #71
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

I wish you had noticed before leaving the store
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:32 AM   #72
aparker973
"TRF" Member

I'm not fussy about scratches on a watch, but this is unacceptable. I can't tell quite how deep it is, but I don't think a quick polish would do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I don't believe the watch was "mangled". By the way, the Ferrari dealer here in Dallas tells me that many of the new vehicles they receive need some slight paint repair before delivery. Not a big deal to me.
Interesting point. There's minor wear & tear during initial transport and small rock chips during test drives & moving around the dealership premises. Watches get some very minor wear by customers, but not really anything more than a couple hairlines. No fuss needed.

That said, I ask dealers not to wash or correct any paint. Just give me the color and I'll do it myself or give it to a detailer. Even exotic car dealerships will swirl up new paint by using dirty cloth. They put a spray-on wax which will hide it until you do a thorough wash and see what's affected the clear coat.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:43 AM   #73
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobitz View Post
Thank you to everyone who chimed in and provided advice. Some of the cheeky comments definitely helped soften the blow haha.

wow... I can't even imagine how this all unfolded in the back room... that would explain why the scratches are on both ends and is likely what transpired!

I know a lot of you have stated I should use this to get my next piece but I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Sure, a SS DaytonaC white dial sounds great but with how the two reps handled me yesterday I just feel uneasy now. I am honestly shocked as I was looking to build a relationship with this AD and further my collection with them... let's see what happens when I go in today.
Good luck and please keep us posted on how it goes. If it were me, I’d start off asking for a replacement watch and know that I’d settle for a new caseback and their next SS Daytona (or Pepsi, whichever you prefer).... Otherwise, I’d take it up with my credit card company and let them deal with the store. Hopefully you purchased the watch on Amex because they’re rock solid on stuff like this.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:45 AM   #74
DTap
"TRF" Member

Totally crappy situation. I hate to see things like this... people without attention to detail like this should not be in this business. A small piece of tape could have avoided this.

All that being said. I watched my an AD size one of my watches. He had just received a class from Rolex and was jokingly complaining about how the made him buy a new sizing tool set. He was very patient, heating up the lock tight and did his screwdriver work under a microscope. I thought he was very careful.

After all that... the screws were still kinda beat up.... I don’t know if I’d have done it any better. So nobody is perfect.

Good luck op. My 2cents is try to get some cash out of the dealer. $500 would probably make everything go away...
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 01:49 AM   #75
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:

Well said, totally agree.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:11 AM   #76
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is a clear difference between your anecdote (a new car that needs some touching up but hasn't yet reached the buyer who will thus never notice) and the OP's situation (a used watch in great condition that was given to the dealer for some routine maintenance and came back damaged), so much so that it's not not even logically comparable.

Also, in the context of dealing with a $28k watch that theoretically should be serviced with extreme care and attention, I think deep scratches resulting from carelessness can reasonably be called "mangled".
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:18 AM   #77
DTap
"TRF" Member

Maybe my $500 estimate was low.

Here is an “excellent” grade watch.

https://davidsw.com/watches/rolex-wa...th-white-dial/
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:20 AM   #78
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Damage from AD... (advice appreciated)

Sad to see botched work. Those SA’s need training + a roll of thick tape before they attempt another strap/bracelet job.

Looks like the first SA rested the springbar tool against the caseback on that side of the watch. And also let the fork gouge the inside edge of the lug.

I’m guessing it was the first one that had struggled and then had “Bob” finish the job.

I’d say something to the owner/manager because one or both of them had to know the damage was done. They showed some deceit there.

As for the remedy, there is a wide range of possibilities depending upon your POV on long-term or short-term ownership. If this is a lifetime keeper, then maybe send it to the RSC for a caseback replacement (at AD’s expense). And some touch-up on the lugs. This preserves your warranty.

If you’re only keeping it until trading later, then perhaps a full return for a replacement is another option. The trade off is you have to return it now and hope for a quick replacement. This isn’t likely unless the AD is one who takes this type of deceit seriously.

The last option that comes to mind is to just accept a monetary remedy equal to a full RSC overhaul now, and then just enjoy the watch until ready for a service some 5-10 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:25 AM   #79
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
A new case back would be a minimum response. I'd be inclined to let the tiny mark between the lugs slide but I would expect some sort of compensation for the impromptu trip to RSC.

Once you calm down (might take me a day ta least!) you should ask the owner their thoughts on how to make this right. I'm sure they have had similar situations in the past and probably a good idea of how to resolve to everyone's satisfaction.

Good luck!!
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:37 AM   #80
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm curious as to how the AD will remedy this situation.

Keep us posted OP and good luck.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:49 AM   #81
Ksporty
"TRF" Member

Take it one step at a time. First, get back there right away. I’d then start by telling them you want a new watch. See what they say. They'll probably tell you they can remedy the damage on the existing watch and you'll never be able to tell it happened. The may be right, but I’d agree to that only with the understanding if it’s not done to your satisfaction, they need to source a new watch. We all know many an AD's definition of like new’ and ‘barely worn' is different then our own, so I’d be very explicit about what YOUR expectations are. No visible change in case shape or finish whatsoever, all edges are crisp, the overall weight remains the same (so they don’t remove too much metal, etc.). Get it in writing. Chances are it'll be fine, but if it’s not, you’re covered.
Ksporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:51 AM   #82
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Nice job...
Old 27 August 2019, 03:00 AM   #83
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
This is appalling especially that little edge dent. New watch is the only fix for this. It costs the AD nothing as they can arrange to have it fixed on their end on their dime. You will never be alright with this if you accept any compromise...Its their fault and responsibility. I'm always a nice guy with these people but had this happened to me, I would only accept another watch!!! Good luck sorting this out...
Old 27 August 2019, 03:04 AM   #84
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
You definitely have a right to be upset. But to suggest that your watch is 'ruined'. Really, dude? Come on. It's a scratch, yes. Needs to be remedied, sure. But let's not lose sight of the fact that it's just a freakin' watch. Sometimes we (self included) come off as a bunch of spoiled cry babies when it comes to our watches. Get it reparied, move on. Asking for and expecting another watch? Seriously? That's ridiculous.
Old 27 August 2019, 03:04 AM   #85
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

I would ask for a new case back and the small other marks will be addressed with a light polish at service time, or now if you wish.

Most folks that can afford Rolex or other fine watches don't care, I believe, if they have had some polishing done - unless they are being resold when almost new.
Have to agree and anything with high magnification makes even small marks look huge.But it should not of happened this is why I change my own straps bracelets undo screws etc which in the real world is quite a simple task.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 03:10 AM   #86
Justingtr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
So the AD turns your new and pristine Rolex into a damaged and defective item and the OP just has to accept their apology and let them have another go at Butchering his prized possession?

If a mechanic smashes up/damages a Brand New car............Hell Yes I would demand a New Car, In the UK you have 30 Days to reject any purchased item under Consumer Protection Laws.

Quote:

Explorer, I don't even think you read what I wrote based on your response.

Lawrence, what?

If the AD rectifies the situation and replaces the case back with a factory new makes the watch like new again then everything should be fine. Yeah it's a shitty situation but the AD isn't gonna exchange the watch or do anything else for him and we all know that.

And a dealership wrecking a vehicle is different then a scratch on a case back. Good luck getting a check for diminished value on a scratched watch from an AD, whereas I can argue all day with any car insurance and get a paycheck for diminished value and time lost, etc.

Old 27 August 2019, 03:10 AM   #87
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Had a situation in 2018 ...ordered my wife a DJ36 around April,the sales person said for sure next month ,next month etc.
Her birthday passed and watch still wasn't there. November,I wrote the AD owner a letter,explaining in great detail exactly what I am going to do ....(I have done business with them many times ,over many years)

I scored two hard to gets .

OP ...Don't take sh#t .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 03:16 AM   #88
Justingtr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusXIII View Post
You definitely have a right to be upset. But to suggest that your watch is 'ruined'. Really, dude? Come on. It's a scratch, yes. Needs to be remedied, sure. But let's not lose sight of the fact that it's just a freakin' watch. Sometimes we (self included) come off as a bunch of spoiled cry babies when it comes to our watches. Get it reparied, move on. Asking for and expecting another watch? Seriously? That's ridiculous.
That's pretty much my experience with this forum though, a bunch of threads asking about small scratches with pictures you have to zoom in with and a bunch of is it safe threads. Yeah this situation sucks and I'd be super pissed and want a new caseback at minimum, but can you even call it a watch if it's hasn't been banged on countless doorknobs and actually worn in the real world?

I bought a new truck and the dealership absolutely messed up my front bumper drilling LP holes, but they owned up to it and fixed it so it's fine. Same thing with a watch or anything else you buy.

Old 27 August 2019, 03:38 AM   #89
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

OP sorry to see that happen to your new watch.. nobody likes to see their piece especially when they didn’t cause it. Hope you’re able to get it all worked out to your satisfaction.

I had something similar happen to my DaytonaC. I purchased it from a forum member and had to get an adjustment at my local AD, when I got home I noticed scratches all over my clasp. It definitely bothered me for a while but I came to accept it as I started to put on scratches of my own.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 03:53 AM   #90
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's pretty much my experience with this forum though, a bunch of threads asking about small scratches with pictures you have to zoom in with and a bunch of is it safe threads. Yeah this situation sucks and I'd be super pissed and want a new caseback at minimum, but can you even call it a watch if it's hasn't been banged on countless doorknobs and actually worn in the real world?

I bought a new truck and the dealership absolutely messed up my front bumper drilling LP holes, but they owned up to it and fixed it so it's fine. Same thing with a watch or anything else you buy.

Great post. Was this you? https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=692940

So it turns out OP should just play nice and take it with no lube from his AD, yet I see you had to inquire here about what you perceived may be an issue (it wasn't) with a USED watch purchase totaling a small fraction of the $28K spent by the OP. You even had those pesky zoomed in pictures and everything.

Makes sense!
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116500ln , 116518ln , damage , damaged